Distraction Thread: So what are your summer plans, make me envious! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Distraction Thread: So what are your summer plans, make me envious!

Reaction Score
If I were, I wouldn’t be sleeping in cheap hostels and a tent, (although, I do have his harmonica)!

But, that was a good catch, knowing the bases for my itinerary.
I caught him in Syracuse, much less desirable locale

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
No summer plans other than hitting the beach as much as possible. I’ll be staying at the Hard Rock at Universal for the entire week of Halloween. The day after I get back from that, I go on a week long cruise. Looking forward to those two weeks but work is going to be a grind until then but at least I’ll have the beach.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Where? Have you been before? We were just talking about it this morning. I’d like to rent a nice beachfront house with a grill that is an easy walk to a good bar or two.
I just double checked and it is 10 days not 15. I have never been to Aruba before. I am renting a house in Noord, with grill and private yard, that is walking distance to a beach and a 15 min drive to the Palm Beach area. There are a few bars and restaurants within walking distance from the house too.

Reaction Score
Aruba for 15 days to end the summer.
Just went to Aruba a few weeks ago for a few nights. The guy working the taxi stand outside the small airport saw my hat and said, "UConn Huskies!"
Great Island. Weather is nice, hot, breezy.

Reaction Score
We cancelled our usual vacation this year (Portugal) so in the end the wife decided to just pick one place for an extended period of time rather than a few small trips. Any dining recommendations you have send them my way. I appreciate it!

The wife and kids will be happy enough at the beach doing nothing for two weeks, so I really will just be looking to add in a few "day trip"/activities. I will probably sneak off one day to fish or kayak.
I'll give you a couple "funky" (i.e. different) recommendations. There are plenty of what I would call "Americanized" restaurants, like Gianni's, Daniel's Steakhouse, etc., that I can give if you're not that adventurous.

Anna Maria's is an Italian restaurant in the back of the owner's house. It's in a residential neighborhood and the restaurant's kitchen is literally the house's kitchen. Food is great. Owner is very nice and the service is excellent. It's different which makes it cool. Make reservations way in advance.

Madame Janette is an interesting place. It's always packed. Make reservations way in advance. Food is pretty good and the portions are huge. Do not get appetizers because the portions are so big. They have a burger that is about 12 inches in diameter. I am not exaggerating. Not sure why they have to serve a burger that big since nobody can eat it all. I liked the pork schitzel, which was also huge. Last time we were there I had a shrimp pasta dish that was a special and it was really good. They have at least a hundred beers from around the world, which I thought was great after not seeing any good beer all week on the island. Say hi to the Aruban Snoop Dog on the way out. He's a legend there.

Both places are in Noord so close to where you are staying.

Reaction Score
Two weeks in Hawaii end of July - 1st week of August. Home for 4 days then off to Ashland, OR for the Shakespeare Festival, then Banff and the Canadian Rockies in September with our Airstream camping buddies. Hopefully a trip to VT in October to see our transplanted daughter.

Reaction Score
Two weeks in Hawaii end of July - 1st week of August. Home for 4 days then off to Ashland, OR for the Shakespeare Festival, then Banff and the Canadian Rockies in September with our Airstream camping buddies. Hopefully a trip to VT in October to see our transplanted daughter.
And I just finished a 12 day camping trip to Couer D'Alene, ID, beautiful Bend, OR, Tillamook, OR and a night on the mighty Columbia River in SW Washington. I love being retired.

Reaction Score
I won’t be doing anything of note, other than shuttling people back and forth to the airport. I live in Los Angeles, and summer is when friends and family love to visit. My daughter, however, will be spending two weeks in Okinawa and Tokyo, then she and her brother will be spending two weeks in Ireland, before she and I drive to North Carolina in late July so she can take a research job at Duke.

Yes, Dook. I am suffering an odd mix of pride, humiliation, and sense of betrayal. Worse, in August I will be similarly moving my son for his freshman year of college. He will be a Husky. Unfortunately, his decision came down to UConn and the U of Washington, and my ex bribed him with a car to remain on the West Coast.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
My life mirrors the The UConn basketball off season.

Compare
UConn basketball wins back to back titles, loses coach and tanks next year
Vs .
Have a 1500 sq foot beach front suite in Miches with our own Butler I’m leaving for in 12 days. Also I just contracted shingles this week. So apparently I will be enjoying those drinks on the beach while being covered in rashes and scabs.

Every beautiful thing in my life comes complete with a swift kick in the nads. Lol. Always.

Reaction Score
I caught him in Syracuse, much less desirable locale
My friends were in a pretty desirable location within the Syracuse venue (not Syracuse) and you probably saw them on the big screen all night as Bruce pandered to them quite a bit. I am currently in Madrid, and I’m the ninth person in the queue, but now it’s just a waiting game to see if he’s fully recovered from his illness. Kind of sad that I was in Marseille, Prague, and Milan, and all of those shows got canceled. Next up - Madrid, then Barcelona!

Reaction Score
Home reno and vacation.

Home stuff? Need to finish installing the windows I posted about, fix some loose vinyl siding, a couple of open grounds, refinish the floors (not doing that s--- myself. ), and a bit of work in the lawn to get it up to snuff. Paint kitchen cabinets. Build a patio set. Build a fire pit. Set up my workbench in the garage. Need to reinforce the framing in the garage if we want to store anything. I'm sure my wife has more of a list. I doubt I'll get it all done.

This will be the first time I'm not traveling internationally during the summer in years. Feels weird. I wanted to go back to Tanzania. Oh well.

Reaction Score
just got back from a week in Berlin (work related but absurdly fun)
Week in the Loire Valley end of July into August with one day at Olympics
10 days in the Algarve end of August

Reaction Score
Acadia for week in Aug with grands, Kauai in September with my drinking in laws, then everything in between on lake in Northeast Kingdom Vermont, which has the best summers
If I had to trade, this might be my favorite.

Reaction Score
Corfu Greece, Latvia, Estonia, second visit to Montenegro all in July. Totally lazing about in August.
This is an epic summer. I was thinking about Montenegro but the flight transfers from the States were rough. Report back.

Reaction Score
Denmark and Norway starting next week.
Have fun! I was in southern Norway about five years ago and it's a beautiful place to visit. What's your itinerary?

Right now, I'm spending the weekend in Bucks County, PA attending a friend's wedding.

I'm generally luke-warm with wedding food, but it'll be my first big Indian wedding so I'm expecting amazing food tonight.

Reaction Score
Leaving Monday for Greece for 8 days.

Then 2 weeks away to Florida in July. Disney, then a cruise for 8 days to visit St. Croix, St. Thomas, and San Juan.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
We just decided to drive our 22' sprinter camper to Nova Scotia after the 4th. We'll spend a week checking out Cape Breton, the Bay of Fundy and if we can fit it in, Prince Edward Island.
Then in August we have all our kids visiting our place on Lake Winnipesaukee.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom