Distraction Thread: So what are your summer plans, make me envious! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Distraction Thread: So what are your summer plans, make me envious!

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Banff for 3 days, Glacier NP for 2 days and Yellowstone for 3 days in early to mid-August. Do I need to bring bear spray, anyone?
Yes. You can't fly with it though. When I was at glacier I heard the rangers reviewing the day... 5 pepper sprays, all mistakes and shooting family.! Bring it but the best defense is make lots of noise.

Reaction Score
Fishing. I think I'll go fishing.
IMG_20240522_131113~3.jpg

Reaction Score
Fishing. I think I'll go fishing. View attachment 101438
Have you ever fished Watchaug Pond in Rhode Island? I used to catch some huge bass there as kid. I believe it once held the state record. My dad and I caught 8 and 9.5 pounders within two minutes of each other one Memorial Day weekend. It was probably my favorite place to go while growing up.

Reaction Score
I live in Valencia Spain - on the Mediterranean sea with wonderful food and culture. I have a big house with a pool and I'll be taking 6 weeks off from work to spend with my wife and 3 young girls aged 2(twins) and 4. I don't need to travel anywhere to enjoy a great summer...

But I'm spending that entire 6 weeks at my in-laws house in rural Wisconsin.

Reaction Score
I'll be spending plenty of time at the beach in southern Rhode Island, but no big trips planned for summer. Going to South Korea in October, though

Reaction Score
July- Beaches in Turk & Caicos, saw Emeka Okafor there a couple years ago. Great family resort if you’ve ever been.

Reaction Score
Banff for 3 days, Glacier NP for 2 days and Yellowstone for 3 days in early to mid-August. Do I need to bring bear spray, anyone?

You'll need it for the tourists more than the bears

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Our 11 y/o dawg took a shot to her health three months ago. Went from 5th gear to 2nd real quick. We kinda wonder how long she has left. We're doing one weekend getaway without her and pretty much sticking around all summer for her.

Reaction Score
Our 11 y/o dawg took a shot to her health three months ago. Went from 5th gear to 2nd real quick. We kinda wonder how long she has left. We're doing one weekend getaway without her and pretty much sticking around all summer for her.
I'm very sorry to hear.

Reaction Score
We'll be going up to CT in early August to visit our sons and their families. This is an annual trip for us. Plus we also have friends to see.

This time we are going to take the Auto Train from Sanford, FL to Lorton, Va. 18 hour trip with dinner, a movie and sleeping over. Takes about 18 hours. Then a 6 hour drive to CT.

Actually will be cheaper than flying up and renting a car. Plus we don't have to worry about luggage weight!!!

Now if we could only get our schedules to align.
I've looked into the Auto Train a number of times in the past and I just couldn't make it work for me. As I live in SoFla between Ft L and Miami, it would be a 244 mi, 3.5 hr. trip to Sanford and a 370 mi, 6.5 hr. drive from Lorton to Glastonbury through DC, Baltimore, Philly and NYC. When I add in gas and tolls (there and back) I'm not really saving much. Also, I have an issue with my eyes now (oMG) that precludes me from driving long distances.

Is this your first time using the Auto Train? I wondered how long it takes to retrieve the car once you reach the destination.

Anyway, I hope you and the family enjoy the trip!

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I'm very sorry to hear.
Thank you, @Kathy I feel we have at least another year. Alas, the dawg walks will never be the same. 100 yards is about it.

Reaction Score
Thank you, @Kathy I feel we have at least another year. Alas, the dawg walks will never be the same. 100 yards is about it.
Never easy with kids. Enjoy each minute you have.

Reaction Score
In Banff, it depends on where you hike. There are places you can rent it. It’s not inexpensive, small, or particularly light, if you’re not familiar with it.

Reaction Score
In Banff, it depends on where you hike. There are places you can rent it. It’s not inexpensive, small, or particularly light, if you’re not familiar with it.
Nice golf course there too. Spectacular scenery.

Reaction Score
Sun, heat, beach, sea, restaurants - every day is the same, but what's not to like ?

Sipping on rum and staring out at the water? Works for me.

Reaction Score

Way to drag a good thread into a ditch.

Turks and Caicos. Aruba.
Stare at my old limping dog all summer.

Reaction Score
Never been, but we will find out. I am not staying at a resort and will have a car so the plan is to explore the island. Marat nailed it though and the beach and sun is enough to keep the wife and kids happy for two weeks.
Prostitution is legal there...or so I've heard

Reaction Score
OK I got roped into Hilton Grand Vacations, took my first trip to Williamsbutg (not going back) will hit MB in early September and Vegas in Decembr/January.

So I'm sure fellow BYers have HGV in their portfolio, so enlighten me.

There was a one time stay at some singers home in Watch Hill for 30,000 points, but I passed. Like Weekapaug better, or Block.

So anyway HGV members - tell me the deals PM me if you are too embarred that you got roped. i'm into it.

My face a bit red but as Billy Chrysal says:

1717983398439.gif
1717983398439.gif

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Got back from Cabo last night. Going back mid-July for 3 weeks.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
We just decided to drive our 22' sprinter camper to Nova Scotia after the 4th. We'll spend a week checking out Cape Breton, the Bay of Fundy and if we can fit it in, Prince Edward Island.
The absolute one must-do thing in NS is to find a restaurant in Digby where you can get scallops right off the boat.

The northernmost parts of the Cabot highway are beautiful. And oh so close to a 200 ft drop into the ocean.

Also, keep in mind that outside of Halifax, pretty much the whole province shuts down after 8pm.
There's a beautiful golf course next to the Fairmont. The day wife and I played, there was a bear walking across the green we were shooting at. We held up play for a bit.

Sounds corny, but if the Stampede is still going on when you're there, it's a goof and definitely worth going for a day. The chuckwagon races are the Canadian version of Ben-Hur.

As for myself, wife and I have no plans this year. I'm probably facing a knee replacement this fall and get pretty sore if I walk a lot, so not much point in travel.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom