Dishin & Swishin Podcast: Lin Dunn & Rebecca Lobo on the "UConn Dilemma" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dishin & Swishin Podcast: Lin Dunn & Rebecca Lobo on the "UConn Dilemma"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
VAUConn Fan: I disagree.

The main reason UCONN is such a power is because of Geno. If anyone else were coaching then they could be beaten.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So what exactly is the difference? If a team comes to play another team then they're going to be practicing what they need to do to beat the other team.
What they were talking about in the observation and what Jeff wanted when he asked Geno to watch was the intensity of the practice and the focus of the players. In addition the types of standard drills and the focus of the coaches in correcting the players within those drills - what the aim of the drills are. In the case of the Louisville practice - I believe it was a scheduling thing that had Uconn overnighting in Louisville and running a practice the following morning prior to travel to ND? Cinci? so it actually happened after the game had been played. But 3/4 of any practice being run is non-specific to and opponent focused on improving skills and teamwork and understanding defensive and offensive sets - stuff that you can pick up as a coach by watching game tapes, it is the way it is taught that you can't get from watching game tapes.

Reaction Score
One question:

Since Geno seems to be so competitive would he welcome other coaches to learn from his practices? Maybe he likes dominating the game.

The suggestion that other coaches learn from the elite coaches was the main point of the conversation to me.

Reaction Score
One question:

Since Geno seems to be so competitive would he welcome other coaches to learn from his practices? Maybe he likes dominating the game.

The suggestion that other coaches learn from the elite coaches was the main point of the conversation to me.

Geno opens his practices to anyone that wants to see them. The only one however that the program told me they could remember in the last year was Cori Close of UCLA.

Reaction Score
Geno opens his practices to anyone that wants to see them. The only one however that the program told me they could remember in the last year was Cori Close of UCLA.

I need to come up to UCONN sometime this season then... :)

Reaction Score
Sorry to disagree ...but the discussion revolved around around how to make UConn weaker and keep them off the air.

What about bringing everyone else's ability up?

And I really want to know who the "our" is in "our game". In most sports it referred to as "the game". Our is a dividing term...us vs them.

Oh I disagree with the assessment the discussion revolved around how to make UConn weaker. Both Coach Dunn and Rebecca focused on improving the competition, by studying the elite coaches, tougher OOC scheduling, not just spending time recruiting but also trying to better themselves as coaches.

Reaction Score
What do you think about the point they made about Swoopes and Kidd getting the coaching jobs with no prior experience?

Right/wrong? Will they fail or succeed?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
What do you think about the point they made about Swoopes and Kidd getting the coaching jobs with no prior experience?

I think they were suggesting they were very risky hires and neither is showing signs of success yet. Coaching is, like anything else, a profession. Some are clearly more talented than others, but it is a profession. Swoops and Kidd are entry level with head coaching jobs.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
UConn isn't the only team to blow out other teams. Lin Dunn complained about UConn/Cincinatti. I was looking at the top 25 schedule for Dec 29. The only game that might be interesting is Notre Dame vs Oregon St (8-3). Otherwise they all look like blow-outs and even that game will probably be a blow-out. Why not watch the "best" team (UConn). I don't want to watch those mid-games where there isn't quality play and your scores are 55-49. I don't expect to see that good of basketball from non-ranked teams. I know I wouldn't want to watch USF vs UCF unless I lived in Florida. The fact that the game is closer doesn't make it a good game to get people excited about women's basketball. However, I do think there should be an effort to show games with ranked teams. If someone happens to beat UConn, you wouldn't not want to show that game, so whenever UConn plays a ranked program that could beat UConn, you would want to show it.
I don't watch any of the mismatches on TV. Don't watch UConn against any but "real" competition; no matter how much I say I watch almost every game on TV, you won't see me watching OK vs. Samford or South Carolina against some in-state Little Sister, both games on TV this weekend.

I will watch many, not all, mid to upper level games televised, for example, Bonnies vs. Duquesne. I might turn it off it turns out to be a stinker, just as I stopped watching UConn / Duke and a couple of other games that didn't involve UConn when they became blow-outs. When games get around 20 points of domination, I'll just indicate to my wife that the "fat lady has sung" as the old saying goes.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Loved the discussion, particularly about coaches needing to do what's necessary to improve and Dunn talking about how she had to improve when she began coaching in the WNBA.

I'm still, however, trying to get my head around Dunn's position on the issues surrounding UConn, blow-out games and ESPN. She seems to be all over the place. Remember, she started the discussion of UConn and blow-out games during the HOF tournament played around Thanksgiving when UConn blew out Boston U, Monmouth and St Bona. Those games weren't on ESPN so we can remove that issue from the equation. Dunn (via Twitter) was bothered by UConn beating up on lesser teams by 40-50 points. What she didn't mention or tweet about, of course, were the numerous blow-outs we were seeing every night in women's basketball when ranked teams play over-matched opponents. Instead, she chose to focus only on UConn and 3 games it played over a holiday weekend.

Dunn's position has since changed to where she now focuses on UConn games shown on ESPN. But even her position on that seems a little scattered. On the one hand she seems to be suggesting that ESPN not broadcast UConn games, but when challenged on that she backs off and says that ESPN should have chosen to broadcast different UConn games ("of course show conn! but not vs some opponents they've shown!"). ESPN has shown UConn v #3 Stanford, #8 Maryland, #2 Duke and #21 Cal. What other games should ESPN have selected to broadcast? Something is seriously wrong if ESPN is being told not to broadcast #1 v #2 in WCBB which is what Dunn seemed to be saying on twitter in this exchange with Carolyn Peck:

CAROLYN PECK
@coachlindunn @DishNSwish On paper Duke vs UCONN should've been good. Don't blame us for showing, blame teams for not showing up.

Lin Dunn
@CAROLYNPECK @DishNSwish aaah has the Duke-- Uconn matchup been good lately?

How can choosing not to showcase the best team in a sport ever be good for that sport?

BTW, Dunn says that fans want to be entertained by competitive games and that she finds blow-outs boring. I know WCBB and college football are vastly different, but the margin of victory in Florida State's 13 wins this season were: 28, 55, 48, 34, 63, 37, 32, 27, 56, 56, 66, 30 and 38 points. Imagine if someone suggested that ESPN no longer televise Florida State football games because its games aren't competitive enough and are boring?

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Loved the discussion, particularly about coaches needing to do what's necessary to improve and Dunn talking about how she had to improve when she began coaching in the WNBA.

I'm still, however, trying to get my head around Dunn's position on the issues surrounding UConn, blow-out games and ESPN. She seems to be all over the place. Remember, she started the discussion of UConn and blow-out games during the HOF tournament played around Thanksgiving when UConn blew out Boston U, Monmouth and St Bona. Those games weren't on ESPN so we can remove that issue from the equation. Dunn (via Twitter) was bothered by UConn beating up on lesser teams by 40-50 points. What she didn't mention or tweet about, of course, were the numerous blow-outs we were seeing every night in women's basketball when ranked teams play over-matched opponents. Instead, she chose to focus only on UConn and 3 games it played over a holiday weekend.

Dunn's position has since changed to where she now focuses on UConn games shown on ESPN. But even her position on that seems a little scattered. On the one hand she seems to be suggesting that ESPN not broadcast UConn games, but when challenged on that she backs off and says that ESPN should have chosen to broadcast different UConn games ("of course show conn! but not vs some opponents they've shown!"). ESPN has shown UConn v #3 Stanford, #8 Maryland, #2 Duke and #21 Cal. What other games should ESPN have selected to broadcast? Something is seriously wrong if ESPN is being told not to broadcast #1 v #2 in WCBB which is what Dunn seemed to be saying on twitter in this exchange with Carolyn Peck:

CAROLYN PECK
@coachlindunn @DishNSwish On paper Duke vs UCONN should've been good. Don't blame us for showing, blame teams for not showing up.

Lin Dunn
@CAROLYNPECK @DishNSwish aaah has the Duke-- Uconn matchup been good lately?

How can choosing not to showcase the best team in a sport ever be good for that sport?

BTW, Dunn says that fans want to be entertained by competitive games and that she finds blow-outs boring. I know WCBB and college football are vastly different, but the margin of victory in Florida State's 13 wins this season were: 28, 55, 48, 34, 63, 37, 32, 27, 56, 56, 66, 30 and 38 points. Imagine if someone suggested that ESPN no longer televise Florida State football games because its games aren't competitive enough and are boring?
I totally agree that Dunn is all over the place on this. She doesn't like blow-outs obviously but has no serious solution. Plus, she acts like these games are scheduled on ESPN the week before.... A point Lobo tried to refute in addressing why Cal was scheduled for the MDixon.

Reaction Score
Good stuff! As much as they suggest sitting in on successful teams practices and emulating what they do that's only part of the equation. Finding and successfully recruiting players that can change your program is the other component like Baylor or ND in recent years. Changing your practice habits isn't going to make you compete with the likes of KML or Stewie. You have to have players that bring some type of intangible to your team whether it be skill or attitude/competitiveness. Then, of course, you have to do something with them once you get them.

Reaction Score
FWIW I've been watching teams other than UCONN and other top teams and enjoying it. Last night I watched a game between BYU and Utah State that I had recorded and thought it was pretty good.
Utah State has a guard named Jennifer Schlott that scored 44 points in the previous game and she did pretty good. I mainly recorded the game because I wanted to watch Jen Hamson the 6' 7" center for BYU. BYU just got the ball to Hamson as much as they could and Utah State played "Hack-a-Shack" but still lost.
I like watching Kansas play because of the Gonzalez sisters and Louisville because of the Schimmel sisters.

I enjoy watching other teams play also. In fact I watched BYU/Utah St. when it was on live. Kansas and St. John's are on ESPN3 a lot. But as I am watching these games the realization always sets in that UConn would kill these teams. :)

I wish I was able to get the PAC-12. I would like to see Oregon more. I do get the Big 10 network but they don't seem to show much WCB.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I enjoy watching other teams play also. In fact I watched BYU/Utah St. when it was on live. Kansas and St. John's are on ESPN3 a lot. But as I am watching these games the realization always sets in that UConn would kill these teams. :)

I wish I was able to get the PAC-12. I would like to see Oregon more. I do get the Big 10 network but they don't seem to show much WCB.
I don't watch much BYU because the station is not HiDef on my service, although I did watch 2 games (one was Arizona). I don't get ESPN3.

I wish I could get the Pac12 network, but I wouldn't bother with Oregon. Run and gun, under Paul Westhead.

The Big10 network shows a decent amount of in-conference games, at least 2 or more a week live and several next day tape, or they have in the past. They have some kind of a program for student production that they then re-televise, I think that is most of their tapes, but I usually only watch the live stuff.

Reaction Score
All of these networks and options are good news and bad news, and we covered that in the podcast. It's great we can see them if we have those networks, but with all these individual TV deals, it's virtually impossible for an ESPN or other big network to change things around and get those games on their network.

Pac 12 network for example, isn't going to give up Tennessee at Stanford, it was probably one of their biggest games.

Reaction Score

If Hamson would start hitting all her free throws then they might have a chance against UCONN. I like their approach but she should learn the Jabbar Sky Hook. So easy to shoot and noone could stop it.

It's fun watching a team like Utah St. cause Schlott could get hot and score 40+ points again.

Kansas is playing mostly freshmen so they wouldn't have a chance against UCONN.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Podcast was a mix of insightful comments and suggestions and other stuff from Dunn that didn't really have a strong connection to reality about game broadcasting, as noted in the comments above. Her heart's obviously in the right place but much of what she said was not well thought out and her complaints don't necessarily have a quick solution. But the calls for the following are sound:

• Education. Yeah, if you are a coach and you want to play at the top level, learn what you need to know to face the top 5 teams and have a chance to win instead of conceding that your team will lose by a huge amount beforehand. But getting that education can take a long time as with Muffet playing UConn for many years before she reached the level that allowed ND to compete effectively, and it took her another decade after that to put together the system that could repeatedly beat UConn, whether Husky fans liked all of the tactics or not. But putting together the complete education package is tough, and maybe Geno, Muffet, and Tara have to put together a detailed online course dealing with practices and game management for some type of WCBB institute.
  • Preparation. Unless teams put in the work in practice to get ready for the big contests, they don't have much chance against a top 5 team. But though UConn's team of two years ago was not at the level of this year's, it was still stunning when St. John's took down the Huskies at Storrs. So clearly teams can compete with Geno's squads sometimes even when they are not a top 10 team and don't have a bunch of All-Americans. From what Lobo and Dunn were discussing, it doesn't sound like most teams are ready yet to put in the practice work and create a flexible enough system to compete at the top. If the defenses of teams like UConn, ND, and Stanford see that you have only a few simple slow-moving offensive options, you're going to end up shooting 30% against them.
  • Coaches. As noted in the podcast, get the best youngish coaches, whether they be guys, Geno's ex-assistants, or whoever is eager to make the mark in WCBB. For too many years the WCBB lived in the ghetto of Pat's old-girls coaching club that were pretty hostile to the men moving in. That's understandable when many of them fought the good fight before and after Title IX was put into effect, but at some point the game had to grow beyond those who had paid their dues and go towards the coaches who could improve the game. It doesn't have to be gender-related, but it seems that many times the main criteria for being a WCBB coach was that you had been a star player, and the two don't always meld well. But as Lobo and Dunn noted in the Foster case, schools have to take the success of their WCBB teams seriously enough to find good coaches and see that they have the resources to keep developing.
And note that part of the big problem about UConn dominance this year sprang up because Stanford did not do its job like they did last year when they beat a superior reigning champ early in the season, after which Baylor raged through its schedule by huge margins like this year's Huskies, winning all of their games by double-digits before their finale except for two games against UConn and OK St. UConn's current dominance only extends through about 20 games spanning two seasons, but all that bulky trophy baggage that the Huskies have to drag behind them from past years makes it seem like they never lose.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
But as Lobo and Dunn noted in the Foster case, schools have to take the success of their WCBB teams seriously enough to find good coaches and see that they have the resources to keep developing.
I thought this was an interesting comment but I couldn't help wondering if OSU would have made the same decision if the coach had been a woman with Foster's record.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
The coaching conversation was a little all over the place as well. At one hand, they applauded OSU for firing Foster because the school decided Big 10 Championship wasn't enough. On the other hand, Lobo was critical for the Tulsa (I think) firing, saying, basically--who are they gonna find that is better?

The underlying problem was that there needs to be more coaching talent in WCBB. Geno said the Cal coach has done it the "right way"--working her way up the assistant ladder, and others have done that as well--with mixed success.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I thought this was an interesting comment but I couldn't help wondering if OSU would have made the same decision if the coach had been a woman with Foster's record.
Not sure there will ever be an opportunity to do that, at least not on Foster's level. As you note, if a female coach has that type of record she's an institution. Perhaps a somewhat similar comparison could be made to CViv's situation, but Rutgers has gotten to higher levels in the not so distant past even if the past few years have made the 2007 NC game seem more distant. There are a few other women coaches whose teams have appeared to have stagnated at a first of second round NCAA game for four to five years, but I'm guessing the schools think that's fine and all the team needs to do for the admin to be happy.

Reaction Score
Here's an idea, how about those pulling the strings, or have the influence on those that do - namely the media, how about they use UConn's dominance to "sell" the sport to a broader audience? How many drawn out, over-analyzed discussions were had on ESPN and it's programs when the Pats were going 18 - 0? How many recycled segments were put together when LeBron made "The Decision"? My point is if the have the wherewithal to invest in sensationalizing such things, why not use the truly historic nature of UConn's 2013-14 run to draw attention to the game of WCBB?
There are plenty of storylines they could come up with to introduce other good teams like ND, MD, TN, Duke, Lou, Ky, etc. And how many times are undefeated/ dominating teams celebrated in other sports? Why is it when it's WCBB it's a problem?
And as for recruiting, didn't we just have a one recruit class? So apparently the talent is going elsewhere. How many recruits has Geno lost to Duke, Md, Nd, Tn, Stan, Ky? The spread of talent, or the lack of it, has nothing to do with it. It's coaching, period! You can have 5 Stewies and if you don't coach em up you will lose! Well, maybe not with 5, lol. But, here's an example of poor philosophy by a coach...Tn vs Stan, the Tn post-players were 13/23 from the field - this includes #1 2013UConn recruit 6'6class M. Russell, the 2 starting guards (Simmons & Massengale) 9/31from the field. Ladies n gentlemen this is nothing new.
At this point, UConn is the standard bearer and they should be looked to to showcase what's great n appealing about WCBB, not used to argue what's wrong with it! If the rest of the D-1 teams don't like what UConn is doing, then they need to get with their coaches and AD's and encourage them to step up...because UConn isn't bowing out ! Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
VAUConn Fan: I disagree.

The main reason UCONN is such a power is because of Geno. If anyone else were coaching then they could be beaten.

No doubt the program is a power because of Coach Auriemma, but this year's team compared to the rest of WCBB, this season, is like Secretariat. An apprentice jockey could have ridden Secretariat to the Triple Crown.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Bill Russell, Dave Debusschere. Larry Bird, Pat Riley, Wes Unseld, Pat Summit, C. Vivian Stringer, Richard Williams; Just off the top of my head. Whether it is right or wrong is only important if a long time assistant gets passed over for bogus reasons. Very good experienced coaches have failed. Very inexperienced coaches have succeeded.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
. . . I wish I was able to get the PAC-12. I would like to see Oregon more. I do get the Big 10 network but they don't seem to show much WCB.

I suspect that both the Pac-10 and Big-10 networks will be showing more women's games
now that the conference schedules have begun, and the football season is over.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak