"Discussion" between Hatchell and Coach Q in postgame handshake | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"Discussion" between Hatchell and Coach Q in postgame handshake

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I suspect the Duke faithful might shed real tears if and when Hatchell actually retires and UNC hires a talented young coach that can recruit and win games. :rolleyes:

There is one with UNC ties just 25 minutes down the road who would be a great and obvious choice.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is one with UNC ties just 25 minutes down the road who would be a great and obvious choice.
Consuegra is a talented young coach, but if I was UNC, I would shoot for the moon. While I and the rest of the BY would hate to see this happen, the Tar Heals might consider making a run at the lady who grew up in Raleigh and is Geno's air apparent.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Consuegra is a talented young coach, but if I was UNC, I would shoot for the moon. While I and the rest of the BY would hate to see this happen, the Tar Heals might consider making a run at the lady who grew up in Raleigh and is Geno's air apparent.

Who is Consuegra? :confused:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
There wasn't just trash talking; there were dirty plays during that game.
Cheap shots by Nicolle Michael and Juanita Ward and Q did nothing to stop it.

This was the infamous "tripgate" game, where UConn piled it on to bury Syracuse. Maya Moore scored 40!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Thought you were referring to Cara Consuegra at UNC-Charlotte. Who were you referring to?

David Thompson's Niece who coaches at Elon. Her Jersey is retired at UNC. I suppose she is next in line to coach in Chapel Hill.

UNCC has been a stepping stone for coaches... Katie Meier, Amanda Butler, Karen Aston. Good solid Mid-Major... flies under the radar in my opinion.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
David Thompson's Niece who coaches at Elon. Her Jersey is retired at UNC. I suppose she is next in line to coach in Chapel Hill.

UNCC has been a stepping stone for coaches.. Katie Meier, Amanda Butler, Karen Aston. Good solid Mid-Major.. flies under the radar in my opinion.
Lot of good WBB coaches in NC...and then there's Sylvia Hatchell...:rolleyes:

I know that isn't fair, but I couldn't resist :oops:

Reaction Score
I've had my issues with Q over the years, chippy play, refusing to schedule to allow Breanna to have a home game, etc but this reminds me of a favorite Jim Calhoun story.

Jim as a young coach was making a similar complaint to Rollie Massimino. Massimino's reply? "Jim there are two teams on the floor. You only get to coach yours."

While not familiar with this Rollie Massimino quote, there was a similar story regarding Lou Carnesecca about a game early in Coach Calhoun's career when St John's was beating UConn by 30+ which had Calhoun fuming and complaining to Carnesecca. Carnesecca then tells Calhoun, "You can only coach one team at a time Irish."

Reaction Score
Cheap shots by Nicolle Michael and Juanita Ward and Q did nothing to stop it.

This was the infamous "tripgate" game, where UConn piled it on to bury Syracuse. Maya Moore scored 40!
It would be hard for me to forget this game, which put me in the position of being anti Syracuse, probably forever. The players were classless when they played, they were classless in the handshake line, and Coach Q just, well, let it happen.,

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
It was Hillsman's team that so ticked off Maya Moore by their trash-talking. She and the other Huskies went into a huddle with Coach Geno, and complained about their poor behavior and trash talking. Coach Geno asked them, "Well, what do you want to do?" Maya answered, "I want to beat them by fifty." So Geno said, "OK," and Maya and the Huskies went out and clobbered them. Maya Moore was permitted to stay in and she scored 40 points. That, apparently, shut up Hillsman and his team for some time.

But he has pissed off the Huskies before. Apparently there is a pattern here.

And wasn't it Hillsman who refused to schedule a home game against UConn which would serve as a homecoming for Breanna Stewart? Instead, UConn played Colgate, which was nearby.

Not very classy.
Why was Coach Q. not scheduling a homecoming game for Breanna Stewart not classy? If she really wanted to play in the Carrier Dome, she would have gone to Syracuse. Coach Q. and Syracuse didn't owe her or Connecticut anything.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Why was Coach Q. not scheduling a homecoming game for Breanna Stewart not classy? If she really wanted to play in the Carrier Dome, she would have gone to Syracuse. Coach Q. and Syracuse didn't owe her or Connecticut anything.
some UConn fans will say anything to make Q look bad... they hold on to stuff/grudges for ever!

Everyone hates UNC and they lack of getting in academic trouble, Q beats the heck out them... and Q is still the bad guy, only on the Boneyard.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I guess another team she needs to cross off her scheduling list. :D

Yeah, she refuses to play a home and home against USC - she will only play us on a neutral court. Wanna know why? Because we would have more fans in Chapel Hill than they would.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Leave Elon alone. They could win their conference after joining it only 2-3 years ago, although they just lost to JMU, which doesn't help. Pretty good coaching from Charlotte Smith.

My son is in the pep band and gets to travel with both the Elon basketball teams to the conference and NCAA tourneys, if they make the Big Dance. I'm hoping Elon wins the CAA and gets shipped to Bridgeport.

2016-17 Women's Basketball Schedule

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Leave Elon alone. They could win their conference after joining it only 2-3 years ago, although they just lost to JMU, which doesn't help. Pretty good coaching from Charlotte Smith.

My son is on the pep band and gets to travel with both teams to the conference and NCAA tourneys, if they make the Big Dance. I'm hoping Elon wins the CAA and gets shipped to Bridgeport.

Elon ends UConn's streak at 108 games!!! :eek:

Now that would be a story of biblical proportions (David vs Goliath).

Reaction Score
For years, a (one of many!) knock on Bill Belichick is that he has the starters play the whole game at full throttle, no matter the score. He always replied that it's a 60 minute game. Well, this year's Superbowl came down to who was in the better condition and who was mentally tougher for 60 (actually 64) minutes. May not be quite so many critics of Belichick's strategy in the future.

Of course, NFLers are paid professionals and most WCBBers are playing for far different stakes. But Q is trying to build a take-no-quarter, killer instinct type of team. Time will tell whether he has the same attitude toward the press and opposing teams that Belichick has.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Never been a big fan of Hillsman or that Syracuse program… That infamous, oft-discussed 2009 game was an absolute travesty, and I do not buy his explanation that they couldn't squeeze UConn into last year's schedule to give Stewie a homecoming game. And no, Syracuse didn't "owe" her that, or anything. But given that we're talking about a legendary college player, with whom Hillsman had a relationship going back to her younger days attending Syracuse basketball camps, their decision not to accommodate her last year smacks of recruiting-game sour grapes. They had every right to do that, but that doesn't mean UConn fans have to like it.

All that said, gotta be fair: I thought Hillsman handled everything at last year's Final Four with total class. And although his team played hard and aggressive basketball in the final, there was none of the roughhousing or other associated nonsense that his earlier teams were known for.

As far as this present controversy, I usually have no regard for a team that is up 20 or 30 late in a game but still goes out of its way to continue pressing an overwhelmed opponent. But the problem here, as bags just alluded to, is that Syracuse's entire philosophy is built around gaining extra possessions by pressing an opponent like hell for 40 minutes. So, particularly at this point in the season, how is Hillsman supposed to train his team to do that in game conditions, except by pressing for all 40 minutes regardless of the score? I'm still not in love with it, but I understand it.

Am I the only one wondering whether UNC is keeping Hatchell around now only so they'll have a sacrificial lamb at the ready to throw under the bus once the NCAA excrement finally hits the fan?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Yes. I think you should treat and talk about our tobacco road neighbors with more respect than you have shown. But thats just my opinion.

:rolleyes:
WHO ARE YOU and what have you done with my colleague Triad? We seem to have a breach in an account on the BY! Call the mods....

Reaction Score
Whats not so classy about it? Syracuse and Hillman didn't owe UCONN a thing.

Matter of simple courtesy. And class. As it was, Syracuse did play Connecticut, in the national championship game, and got clobbered.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Matter of simple courtesy. And class. As it was, Syracuse did play Connecticut, in the national championship game, and got clobbered.

Fine, the BY got its revenge and UCONN got its championship :cool:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

My son is in the pep band and gets to travel with both the Elon basketball teams to the conference and NCAA tourneys, if they make the Big Dance. I'm hoping Elon wins the CAA and gets shipped to Bridgeport.

I wish Elon success...... hope they win the Colonial as well. I know most refer to it as the CAA.... but its still the Colonial to me :mad: I watched the Elon-JMU game on Sunday...... tough tough game and loss. One negative is that the conference tournament is at James Madison..... and they usually get a pretty good.. and loud crowd for their games.

LOL, do you remember Elon's old nickname?

Of course I do.. but I won't spoil the joke.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom