"Discussion" between Hatchell and Coach Q in postgame handshake | The Boneyard

"Discussion" between Hatchell and Coach Q in postgame handshake

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Was Syracuse women's basketball coach reprimanded by his North Carolina counterpart?

Hatchell initiated and then carried an extended conversation with Hillsman, during which she appeared to mouth the words, "You were up by 30.'' Hillsman then gestures toward the court in a somewhat defensive response.

That could have been in reference to Hillsman's typical strategy of pressing until almost the very end of blowouts and keeping his starters in well past the issue was decided, as was the case on Sunday.​

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The BYard is slipping.... I figured this would have been posted earlier :rolleyes:

I was pointed to it by a non-UConn source. It's our duty to stay abreast of the latest tiffs between rival coaches. :cool:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The BYard is slipping.... I figured this would have been posted earlier :rolleyes:
we were more interested in winning...
images

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I guess another team she needs to cross off her scheduling list. :D

Reaction Score
If that is what really happened, then hatchell needs to seriously think about retirement. Complaining about being beaten down too much, maybe here team needs more practices, less classes, real or fake.

Reaction Score
Read the comments section...it's UConn's fault.

Because of course it is.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've had my issues with Q over the years, chippy play, refusing to schedule to allow Breanna to have a home game, etc but this reminds me of a favorite Jim Calhoun story.

Jim as a young coach was making a similar complaint to Rollie Massimino. Massimino's reply? "Jim there are two teams on the floor. You only get to coach yours."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was Hillsman's team that so ticked off Maya Moore by their trash-talking. She and the other Huskies went into a huddle with Coach Geno, and complained about their poor behavior and trash talking. Coach Geno asked them, "Well, what do you want to do?" Maya answered, "I want to beat them by fifty." So Geno said, "OK," and Maya and the Huskies went out and clobbered them. Maya Moore was permitted to stay in and she scored 40 points. That, apparently, shut up Hillsman and his team for some time.

But he has pissed off the Huskies before. Apparently there is a pattern here.

And wasn't it Hillsman who refused to schedule a home game against UConn which would serve as a homecoming for Breanna Stewart? Instead, UConn played Colgate, which was nearby.

Not very classy.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
The ultimate hypocrisy in sports, the post-game handshake, taken with another hypocrisy "piling on" as Jimmy Johnson once said, "it's our job to score to points, it's their job to stop us." So the 'Cuse' was still pressing and up 30. Coach Hatchell should institute a better press-breaker and stop trying to tell Coach Q how to coach his team....

Reaction Score
The ultimate hypocrisy in sports, the post-game handshake, taken with another hypocrisy "piling on" as Jimmy Johnson once said, "it's our job to score to points, it's their job to stop us." So the 'Cuse' was still pressing and up 30. Coach Hatchell should institute a better press-breaker and stop trying to tell Coach Q how to coach his team...

Coach Geno and UConn don't "pile on." When they get up by a lot in the third quarter, they begin to substitute, they slow down the game, and they stop pressing. They don't need to humiliate their opponent, only to win the game. Coach Geno and UConn show how to win with class. And, yes, he is gracious to the other team's coaches and players after each win. Coach Geno compliments the other team, often stopping a star player for the other, and losing, team to compliment her on her performance and skills.

So it's not hypocrisy, it's class.

Reaction Score
Was Syracuse women's basketball coach reprimanded by his North Carolina counterpart?

Hatchell initiated and then carried an extended conversation with Hillsman, during which she appeared to mouth the words, "You were up by 30.'' Hillsman then gestures toward the court in a somewhat defensive response.

That could have been in reference to Hillsman's typical strategy of pressing until almost the very end of blowouts and keeping his starters in well past the issue was decided, as was the case on Sunday.​

I imagine Hillsman was coaching his players to maintain their intensity for the full 40 regardless of the score - in preparation for the post-season, when such effort and focus will be necessary. Many coaches in many sports (Belichick comes to mind) have this philosophy of mental/physical stamina for the full duration of each game, particularly down the stretch, to condition their athletes for the intensity of the post-season, when such reserves of fortitude will be in demand. I'm surprised that Hatchell wouldn't know this, if that was indeed the nature of her comments.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I imagine Hillsman was coaching his players to maintain their intensity for the full 40 regardless of the score - in preparation for the post-season, when such effort and focus will be necessary. Many coaches in many sports (Belichick comes to mind) have this philosophy of mental/physical stamina for the full duration of each game, particularly down the stretch, to condition their athletes for the intensity of the post-season, when such reserves of fortitude will be in demand. I'm surprised that Hatchell wouldn't know this, if that was indeed the nature of her comments.
Geno coaches his team to maintain intensity for a full forty minutes, yet he is willing to to so with the second five as appropriate. We've all seen Geno have the team work on half court sets instead of the fast break in the second half of games.

Still, it's Q's team to coach.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
And I hope when the Heels visit NCState for the "revenge" game, we win by 40. Can never beat those hated Tar Heels from Chapel Hole badly enough for my taste. Am I being classless?

Yes. I think you should treat and talk about our tobacco road neighbors with more respect than you have shown. But thats just my opinion.

:rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It's sad how far UNC has fallen. It wasn't that long ago that the beat down would have been in the opposite direction. I watched UNC lose a game to Wake earlier this year at Chapel Hill, and was struck by 2 things. Wake had no business beating the Tar Heels, and during timeouts, Hatchell was nothing more than a cheerleader, with one of her assistants doing all the coaching.

You have to know when you've been around too long. It's time for Sylvia Hatchell to retire.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
At least they didn't admonish each other publicly. They confined it to their private conversation.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It's sad how far UNC has fallen. It wasn't that long ago that the beat down would have been in the opposite direction. I watched UNC lose a game to Wake earlier this year at Chapel Hill, and was struck by 2 things. Wake had no business beating the Tar Heels, and during timeouts, Hatchell was nothing more than a cheerleader, with one of her assistants doing all the coaching.

You have to know when you've been around too long. It's time for Sylvia Hatchell to retire.

I'm crestfallen

stock-vector-green-crocodile-1995283.jpg

Reaction Score
There wasn't just trash talking; there were dirty plays during that game.

Coach Geno specifically mentioned Maya Moore coming into the huddle and telling him that "you can't believe what they are saying." Total trash-talking during that game.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Coach Geno and UConn don't "pile on." When they get up by a lot in the third quarter, they begin to substitute, they slow down the game, and they stop pressing. They don't need to humiliate their opponent, only to win the game. Coach Geno and UConn show how to win with class. And, yes, he is gracious to the other team's coaches and players after each win. Coach Geno compliments the other team, often stopping a star player for the other, and losing, team to compliment her on her performance and skills.

So it's not hypocrisy, it's class.
Why the knee-jerk, defensive response? This post has nothing to do with Connecticut, but a situation that occurred between UNC and Syracuse, what Geno does or doesn't do has no bearing on this post or my comment.

Reaction Score
Why the knee-jerk, defensive response? This post has nothing to do with Connecticut, but a situation that occurred between UNC and Syracuse, what Geno does or doesn't do has no bearing on this post or my comment.

It has everything to do with Syracuse and Syracuse's modus operandi. So it does have aa connection. "Knee-jerk"? Really?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom