Discuss | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hmmm.

Is this guy just parroting one of Mhver3's tweets?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I don't get this? First, ESPN has done nothing for UConn. If it was so invested or interested in helping we'd be in the ACC over Louisville right now. Secondly, doesn't Fox hold the majority interest in TV coverage for the Big-12? I know ESPN has the Longhorn network and carries some Big-12 games but I don't think they have enough pull to get anyone into the Big-12. I do like the idea that UConn might be trying to pull strings and if anything wake the Big-12 up so they can keep the dominoes falling. I feel that they are the next to act and until they do not much will happen CR wise.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The first poster said they knew an espn insider. The catholic poster said they knew a UT insider.
Don't you realize that if it is on the internet it has to be true?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
ESPN has declared a fatwa against UConn. Between Rutgers, TCU, WVU, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, the C7, and now Boise, there are commitments of about $175 million a year from various networks, mostly ESPN, to broadcast their games. It was worth that much to ESPN to destroy UConn's athletic program.

Reaction Score
ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 whatever - get us out of this disaster. By Jan 2014 we have to be somewhere else

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
ESPN has declared a fatwa against UConn. Between Rutgers, TCU, WVU, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, the C7, and now Boise, there are commitments of about $175 million a year from various networks, mostly ESPN, to broadcast their games. It was worth that much to ESPN to destroy UConn's athletic program.

You'd think this simple math would lead you to believe that ESPN isn't pulling all the strings but that's the great thing about the Boneyard - hard evidence against a conspiracy is generally used as proof of the opposite.

We're through the looking glass here people.

Reaction Score
WTF. Why would ESPN want to destroy UConn's athletic program? I hate our situation, but I can't go along with this explanation.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 whatever - get us out of this disaster. By Jan 2014 we have to be somewhere else
Certainly things look real badly for UConn at this moment. And maybe it is better to take the first door in a burning building. However, there is a risk the door UConn takes could put UConn at a greater disadvantage. The Big12 and the ACC might be far better off than the NNNBE currently, but they are risks. Jumping into the first available conference could tick off the other and if the other ends up being stable and the conference UConn dives into gets gobbled up, than all UConn would end up doing is being in the NNNACC or the NNNB12. I'm not saying you are being unreasonable in your opinion. I'm pointing out risks exist with every scenario.

My cousins were delayed because of a subway breakdown and very upset because they had appointments in NYC. They were late for their appointments and cursed their situation until the planes crashed into the WTC as they were just entering the doors. They would have been near the crash site if it wasn't for the delay! A young gal in our neighborhood, interning at Cantor Fitzgerald, was laid off the day before the crash, ended up being lucky. Another neighbor who sponsored her, was on vacation. He decided to go the next day to advocate for her. He was unlucky.

UConn men's bb lost recruits to other programs and "settled" for late additions. Those guys like Okafer and Kemba were second and third options. They worked out well.

I don't have a crystal ball to reassure you that the current situation will turn out well. Nor do I know which of the potential options are likely or unlikely and which would be the best for UConn. None of us do. Any one thinking x solution is better than y solution, is taking on a role that exceeds the reality of circumstances and the limitations of human vision.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn is going to 'tick off' a conference by joining another.... Another rung on the crazy ladder.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
After Pitt/Cuse announced, there were more than a few posts that described what the CR apocalypse for UConn would look like. Though it seems a long time ago, it wasn't and we now find ourselves at that exact point. Hoping for a miracle.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

pj

Reaction Score
I can believe that UConn is pulling strings to pressure ESPN. Even if UConn prefers the B1G or ACC, it needs to create an option to force those conferences to move. If they won't move, the B12 is a better landing spot than the NBE.

It also makes sense that ESPN would push the B12 to take UConn. It's been reported that ESPN has been refusing to give the B12 more revenue if they poach the ACC, thus ESPN has blocked B12 expansion to date. But the B12 wants/needs to get to 12 to have a conference championship. If you rule out ACC teams, most attractive candidates on the board may be (1) BYU, (2) UConn, (3) Cincy or USF in that order. So if ESPN is committed to protecting the ACC, and getting the B12 to 12 teams so their desire to expand lessens, then they almost have to push BYU/UConn or UConn/someone else.

I could see ESPN doing this out of their own business interests, and telling the B12 that they are doing it because of pressure from the state of Connecticut, just so it doesn't appear their interests are totally at odds with those of the B12.

Of course the B12 would prefer to poach ACC teams like FSU. They will probably prefer to wait to see if the ACC opens up from B1G/SEC poaching. But time may not be on their side, if the B1G/SEC move slowly and they need to get to 12 in time for the new playoff system.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
UConn is going to 'tick off' a conference by joining another.... Another rung on the crazy ladder.
Not really. Defillipo's stance supports my contention. You support my contention. Your arguments are personal. Conferences are run by people with strong egos that get insulted easily. It happens. It's human nature.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not really. Defillipo's stance supports my contention. You support my contention. Your arguments are personal. Conferences are run by people with strong egos that get insulted easily. It happens. It's human nature.

But none of the conferences want them now - so the only contention you are making is that the Big 10 would be upset and exclude UConn if they accepted an ACC offer. UConn joining the ACC wouldn't impact the Big 10 in the least - so how could that insult the Big 10.

Reaction Score
If ESPN wanted UConn in the B12, it could happen in 5 minutes. If ESPN tells Bowlsby that, if they add UConn, they will get a new TV deal that will increase the per team TV revenue by $2million, then it will happen. Does this make business sense for ESPN.....no, I don't see how it could.....BUT that is how it could easily happen.

Reactions: pj

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Certainly things look real badly for UConn at this moment. And maybe it is better to take the first door in a burning building. However, there is a risk the door UConn takes could put UConn at a greater disadvantage. The Big12 and the ACC might be far better off than the NNNBE currently, but they are risks. Jumping into the first available conference could tick off the other and if the other ends up being stable and the conference UConn dives into gets gobbled up, than all UConn would end up doing is being in the NNNACC or the NNNB12. I'm not saying you are being unreasonable in your opinion. I'm pointing out risks exist with every scenario.

My cousins were delayed because of a subway breakdown and very upset because they had appointments in NYC. They were late for their appointments and cursed their situation until the planes crashed into the WTC as they were just entering the doors. They would have been near the crash site if it wasn't for the delay! A young gal in our neighborhood, interning at Cantor Fitzgerald, was laid off the day before the crash, ended up being lucky. Another neighbor who sponsored her, was on vacation. He decided to go the next day to advocate for her. He was unlucky.

UConn men's bb lost recruits to other programs and "settled" for late additions. Those guys like Okafer and Kemba were second and third options. They worked out well.

I don't have a crystal ball to reassure you that the current situation will turn out well. Nor do I know which of the potential options are likely or unlikely and which would be the best for UConn. None of us do. Any one thinking x solution is better than y solution, is taking on a role that exceeds the reality of circumstances and the limitations of human vision.

About a century ago Notre Dame was denied admission to the Western Conference (now the B1G) when Michigan returned and Ohio St was added. ND could have cried (the way most of us are today) about the situation but instead began scheduling games with name schools from both coasts, travelling to most of these games in the process.

Two years before the BE began, a good amount of eastern/northeastern basketball was shaken up when the Eastern Eight was formed (and UMass left the Yankee Conference). The few years leading up to the start of the Eastern Eight was one unique, very small blip where UMass could claim to be haead of us in terms of men's hoops and I imagine that some of our die hard fans then felt we were kicked aside and deserved a spot in that new conference. Does anyone today believe that we missed out on something by not being invited to the Eastern Eight?

Regardless of whether there is a guarantee of some great landing spot or not, we have to, as a university improve our profile on all levels. If we do this we will be far better off over the long haul than if we do not. Our best hope is that enough is accomplished before the next round of expansion occurs (and yes, it will occur).

ctchamps

Reaction Score
About a century ago Notre Dame was denied admission to the Western Conference (now the B1G) when Michigan returned and Ohio St was added. ND could have cried (the way most of us are today) about the situation but instead began scheduling games with name schools from both coasts, travelling to most of these games in the process.

Two years before the BE began, a good amount of eastern/northeastern basketball was shaken up when the Eastern Eight was formed (and UMass left the Yankee Conference). The few years leading up to the start of the Eastern Eight was one unique, very small blip where UMass could claim to be haead of us in terms of men's hoops and I imagine that some of our die hard fans then felt we were kicked aside and deserved a spot in that new conference. Does anyone today believe that we missed out on something by not being invited to the Eastern Eight?

Regardless of whether there is a guarantee of some great landing spot or not, we have to, as a university improve our profile on all levels. If we do this we will be far better off over the long haul than if we do not. Our best hope is that enough is accomplished before the next round of expansion occurs (and yes, it will occur).
There really are limitations for every party involved in CR. Some have more specific limitations than others. UConn is certainly more limited than Texas or ND or even Rutgers, at the moment, but this is only a snapshot of the past, present, and future. The things you propose are, realistically, some of the few options available to UConn in its current position, assuming there is a consensus to maintain the athletic profile it has built up. I'm in the camp that believes President Herbst has entered the university with that mindset. I base this on her approach to Jim Calhoun. She immediately attempted to mend relationships with him that were almost totally destroyed by Hathaway. She was too late for RE and the PP debacle.

Reaction Score
Nelson, I agree with this premise. And it's ironic. The company that Bill & Scott Rasmussen brought to life was originally envisioned as a method to nationally broadcast UConn Sports & the late Hartford Whalers contests. In it's early encarnation ESPN cameras were on campus frequently broadcasting UConn soccer contests. As ESPN broadened its horizons & ABC bought in from Getty, the Rasmussens were shown the door. If UConn sports could be deep sixed, the last vestiges if the Mothership's "illegitimate" birth would be erased.
Fact: ESPN's general manager is a BC grad. Many ESPN personnel are Syracuse communications grads. The conspiriacy theorist in me says that you are dead on in this assessment. (In a perverse sense of irony, ESPN's public relations director Mike Soltys is the son of UConn's former longtime media relations director.)

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Nelson, I agree with this premise. And it's ironic. The company that Bill & Scott Rasmussen brought to life was originally envisioned as a method to nationally broadcast UConn Sports & the late Hartford Whalers contests. In it's early encarnation ESPN cameras were on campus frequently broadcasting UConn soccer contests. As ESPN broadened its horizons & ABC bought in from Getty, the Rasmussens were shown the door. If UConn sports could be deep sixed, the last vestiges if the Mothership's "illegitimate" birth would be erased.
Fact: ESPN's general manager is a BC grad. Many ESPN personnel are Syracuse communications grads. The conspiriacy theorist in me says that you are dead on in this assessment. (In a perverse sense of irony, ESPN's public relations director Mike Soltys is the son of UConn's former longtime media relations director.)
ESPN still employs more UConn graduates than any other school. One of ESPN's HR minions, a UConn grad, is a good friend of mine.

pj

Reaction Score
If ESPN wanted UConn in the B12, it could happen in 5 minutes. If ESPN tells Bowlsby that, if they add UConn, they will get a new TV deal that will increase the per team TV revenue by $2million, then it will happen. Does this make business sense for ESPN.....no, I don't see how it could.....BUT that is how it could easily happen.

Sure, but everybody negotiates to optimize their share of the pie. ESPN isn't just going to throw $40 mn+ ($20+ mn for UConn and $2 mn each for every B12 school, when the 2-school addition also gets B12 teams the money for the conference championship game) if it might be able to get UConn in for half that (pay for UConn so teams don't lose, the B12 schools get the same for regular season but they get the championship game revenue so they are better off) ... also Fox is involved ... also a partner school would have to be found ... also B12 could negotiate over games in NYC etc ... also B12 has to explore options, a possibility that I never see mentioned is can they get NCAA to relax the 12-team rule for a championship. That rule change would have ACC support if it prevents the ACC from getting raided by ending B12 expansion.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
As much as I'd like to see UConn land in any conference worth a damn I just can't see them going to the Big 12. I mean, WVU looks like an outlier to me as as it is...what would that make us? Sure, they can bring in Cinci as a partner but that isn't all that close either. Maybe the B1G will come calling in 3-4 years but I'm afraid our best hope is that the ACC will lose two and we get invited in, finally.

Suffice to say I've soured on the whole situation with college athletics. I still want the best for UConn but the process is severely flawed and no one is to be trusted. There are slew of people AND institutions that I hope get the comeuppance that is due them.

Reaction Score
As much as I'd like to see UConn land in any conference worth a damn I just can't see them going to the Big 12. I mean, WVU looks like an outlier to me as as it is...what would that make us? Sure, they can bring in Cinci as a partner but that isn't all that close either. Maybe the B1G will come calling in 3-4 years but I'm afraid our best hope is that the ACC will lose two and we get invited in, finally.

Suffice to say I've soured on the whole situation with college athletics. I still want the best for UConn but the process is severely flawed and no one is to be trusted. There are slew of people AND institutions that I hope get the comeuppance that is due them.
Would Cuse, Pitt, UConn and BC be worth more than FSU, Miami, Clemson and someone like VA Tech to the Big 12. Football wise it would be a loser for them to add the 4 NE schools but they would lock up NYC and Boston.

pj

Reaction Score
Would Cuse, Pitt, UConn and BC be worth more than FSU, Miami, Clemson and someone like VA Tech to the Big 12. Football wise it would be a loser for them to add the 4 NE schools but they would lock up NYC and Boston.

How does it lock up NYC with the B1G having Rutgers plus Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan, thus four of the top 6 NYC programs (UConn and ND the other two)?

It doesn't even lock up the city of Pittsburgh (Penn State).

Reaction Score
How does it lock up NYC with the B1G having Rutgers plus Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan, thus four of the top 6 NYC programs (UConn and ND the other two)?

It doesn't even lock up the city of Pittsburgh (Penn State).
I'll take that as a no

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01