Discuss | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Suffice to say I've soured on the whole situation with college athletics. I still want the best for UConn but the process is severely flawed and no one is to be trusted. There are slew of people AND institutions that I hope get the comeuppance that is due them.
As someone stated in an article about B1G realignment, it's all about egos. Nothing but egos. Administrators want their egos to be pampered through college athletics. And here we are, giving them food for their egos.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If someone thinks this is about egos, they're dimwitted. Or a sportswriter...which is kind of the same thing these days.

This is about money.

It's about getting as much as you can and sharing it with as few others as possible.

Reaction Score
Sure, but everybody negotiates to optimize their share of the pie. ESPN isn't just going to throw $40 mn+ ($20+ mn for UConn and $2 mn each for every B12 school, when the 2-school addition also gets B12 teams the money for the conference championship game) if it might be able to get UConn in for half that (pay for UConn so teams don't lose, the B12 schools get the same for regular season but they get the championship game revenue so they are better off) ... also Fox is involved ... also a partner school would have to be found ... also B12 could negotiate over games in NYC etc ... also B12 has to explore options, a possibility that I never see mentioned is can they get NCAA to relax the 12-team rule for a championship. That rule change would have ACC support if it prevents the ACC from getting raided by ending B12 expansion.
also, nice use of transitions.

Reaction Score
If someone thinks this is about egos, they're dimwitted. Or a sportswriter...which is kind of the same thing these days.

This is about money.

It's about getting as much as you can and sharing it with as few others as possible.
Do you think we are college athletics fans out of a need to survive? And it wasn't a sportswriter who stated that. It was an administrator. The sportswriter just quoted the administrator.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Do you think we are college athletics fans out of a need to survive?

I don't have the foggiest idea of what you're asking me.

Reaction Score
I don't have the foggiest idea of what you're asking me.
I am insinuating that being a sports fan is about pleasing the ego. Not out of the need to survive (aka life and death).

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I am insinuating that being a sports fan is about pleasing the ego. Not out of the need to survive (aka life and death).
what is this i don't even

Reaction Score
As someone stated in an article about B1G realignment, it's all about egos. Nothing but egos. Administrators want their egos to be pampered through college athletics. And here we are, giving them food for their egos.

Lots of poor journalism out there.

No one ever bothers looking at the athletic budgets of these schools (freely available) to see what motivates the Presidents to make the decisions they do.

At Columbia U., masters students in journalism take accounting classes to learn how to read quarterly reports. That's where a lot of real reporting happens these days. It's apparent that such students do not go on to report on college sports.

Reaction Score
Not sure if there is any truth to this one - quite an odd one to come out of thin air. I like reading this - what does it tell me? It tells me that Uconn may have an iota of leverage and allies in this mess. Because up till now, they've seemingly been on an island without either. Helpless. This suggests there are some pro-active measures being taken. Politicking into a conference likely leads to some of the stigma that is attached to a state like Connecticut from a national perception basis, but F it, if it's what gets us into a decent conference, who cares. How can ESPN not be pro-Uconn? They've been pro-Uconn from a media perspective over the years given locale, no question. Katz has always been very active with Uconn. They are on the plus end of very favorable tax breaks. The Big 12 would be a bizarre fit from a cultural and geographic perspective, so this seems unbelievably unlikely, but if they can plant the seed out there, that matters. That is leverage and that can speed up an invite somewhere.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Don't forget, the B12 was targeting Pitt before Pitt accepted the ACC offer and WVU whored itself out for a new conference. We don't have the football history of Pitt, and we're a few hundred miles further away, but if they were going to go for Pitt, why not UConn + Cincy?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I think pretty much every UConn fan would consider the B12 option 3 under B1G and intact ACC w/ uconn, but I'll wear a cowboy hat for a home game if we get an invite. Maybe they can actually use this to get a little leverage with the ACC.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

He sent the link via his twitter feed. Long piece on UWV football and then on realignment. Baylor people must have reproduced part of it.

GG

Reaction Score
I
He sent the link via his twitter feed. Long piece on UWV football and then on realignment. Baylor people must have reproduced part of it.

I believe that the Baylor post pre-dates the dude's post.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I

I believe that the Baylor post pre-dates the dude's post.

If there are legs to the B12 angle, nobody will be happier than me. I came to CT from Big 8 country, and went back to KU for law school. I do think that playing UT or OU or a good KSU team will bring crowds to the Rent that are similar to what we'd get from FSU, Clemson, Wisconsin, Nebraska etc. Also, Big 12 hoops is down a bit, mostly due to OSU fielding weaker teams in recent years. So they could use the basketball upgrade.

But I don't think UConn has much appeal in that part of country (Kansas fans might appreciate the potential hoops rival) and they really want to remain a midwestern league.

Reaction Score
Not sure if there is any truth to this one - quite an odd one to come out of thin air. I like reading this - what does it tell me? It tells me that Uconn may have an iota of leverage and allies in this mess. Because up till now, they've seemingly been on an island without either. Helpless. This suggests there are some pro-active measures being taken. Politicking into a conference likely leads to some of the stigma that is attached to a state like Connecticut from a national perception basis, but F it, if it's what gets us into a decent conference, who cares. How can ESPN not be pro-Uconn? They've been pro-Uconn from a media perspective over the years given locale, no question. Katz has always been very active with Uconn. They are on the plus end of very favorable tax breaks. The Big 12 would be a bizarre fit from a cultural and geographic perspective, so this seems unbelievably unlikely, but if they can plant the seed out there, that matters. That is leverage and that can speed up an invite somewhere.

Long-term, the Big12 might be better than the ACC, because the ACC might cease to exist. I can't blame Cuse and BC too much because in any realignment that sees the ACC killed, these two schools, as well as Wake Forest and one other ACC school, stand to be frozen out.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I never believed that ESPN was trying to hurt UConn. UConn, more than any school in the country, built ESPN. I don't think ESPN has anywhere near the power in these matters that is suggested often on the board. I suspect they are very much pro-UConn and want us to remain viable, and preferably, on their network.

It's funny that you say the B1g 12 would be a bizarre fit culturally and geographically. Compared to? Florida, Tennessee, Idaho, California? That was our pending league. Texas is common either way. The Big 12 is quite a bit better than the NNBE was in that regard, especially if Cinci comes along. Southwest Airlines would become your new best friend for road games.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
It's funny that you say the B1g 12 would be a bizarre fit culturally and geographically. Compared to? Florida, Tennessee, Idaho, California? That was our pending league. Texas is common either way. The Big 12 is quite a bit better than the NNBE was in that regard, especially if Cinci comes along. Southwest Airlines would become your new best friend for road games.
Certainly, if the ACC had kept Maryland and added Rutgers and UConn we'd have a great fit there, with the northern/mid-atlantic ACC schools. Now that those two are not going to be in the ACC it's a bit less of a fit but there's still Cuse, BCU and Pitt. Maybe if we wind up in the B12 down the road with Cincy and maybe Pitt and one other eastern school it might be enough of a northern/eastern bloc to work.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Evidently the opposite is probably true.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01