Dimon Carrigan officially visiting | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dimon Carrigan officially visiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
All it takes is 2 posters to derail a thread. Id know, I've helped derail my fair share of threads lol

100% agree. And to be fair I'm guilty of being pretty asinine on here at times. Particularly when drinking ha!

Meant to quote both!

Look at this! Admissions of past failures, seeing both sides of the aisle ...

HOPE.

Reaction Score
He could do a head stand for all I care.

Just block it. Preferably inbounds to a UConn player.

Reaction Score
Top schools are starting to call and show real interest
That's good and bad I guess. On one hand it validates his talent. On the other there is more comp

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'd rather we get him here first, then try and talk him out of doing this unnecessary act. We can't afford to be picky right now, he's too good to pass up.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
Do we all have a basic understanding of 'endorsing' someone's actions? The University allowing him to act in a way that is completely within his rights, and the definition of free speech, expression, et al, is not an endorsement of those actions. Furthermore, no one, not you, not me, not anyone on this board, or within the Board of Trustees for that matter, needs to like or enjoy this kids form of protest. Whether we agree with what he's saying is irrelevant. Just respect his right to do it. You can apply that principle to pretty much everything regarding civil liberties/natural rights.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Ehhh...not hurting anyone, if he thinks it's useful then so be it....I'd rather have him on the court for UConn than somebody else.
Me too, but hopefully he understands he won't be able to do this without people disagreeing.

Reaction Score
Let's not make this a big deal. Live and let live and it's the young man conviction and he's doing his thing for now so be it. He can play and would add to our somewhat bizarre team.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I'm not a huge fan of the kneeling stuff, but I understand why he's doing it and it's not the end of the world. I also don't think it's a media draw/distraction unless he's a top player. If he's a top player then UConn is winning and I'm happy.

Reaction Score
Me too, but hopefully he understands he won't be able to do this without people disagreeing.

Thats the point though. People in sports are doing this to raise awareness. To voter suppression, gentrification, to police brutality, etc.

The fact that he KNOWS he will probably get flack for it at the college level, and still wants to stand by his convictions is incredibly admirable and mature. It is not a petulant child rebelling as some would suggest. It's calculated.

Even if you dont agree (and I don't agree with some of the BLM agenda), its hard not to respect a young man standing up for his rights within the limits of the law.

If this got attention in the media, our recruits--who are primarily black--would take notice of how Uconn reacts. I guarantee it.

Fyi I'm only responding to you because you're the more reasonable of the opponents here and I appreciate it

Reaction Score
It would be nice to have a shot blocker that can really play. I want him.

As for the social activism and protest stuff....Good...As long as he can explain himself and demonstrate that its coming from an honest place, I think it is admirable. It is a lot more mature and patriotic than our actual joke of leadership.

Reaction Score
Dimon Carrigan’s shot-blocking continues to turn heads - The Boston Globe

I think that link instead of the original will get you past the pay wall. Really good article from the Boston globe.

Of note:
- he's thinking of Woodstock academy next year. Right down the road from UConn.
- 6'9 but with a 7'3 wingspan.
- as we know hes been dominating EYBL

From the article:

In an act of demonstration, the senior took a knee during the national anthem before every varsity game this winter. Carrigan continues that practice today, even taking a knee during his high school graduation, and plans to stand by his beliefs at the collegiate level as well.

“I’m not going to stop until I feel like there’s a change for everyone in terms of social justice,” Carrigan said. “If [college] coaches don’t want that, then they can’t understand the person that I am.”

Seems like a really good kid. He's interested in activism and mentorship in the African American community. Definitely seems like a kid right up Ollies alley

I'm curious how some boneyarders would react to having a player kneel during the national anthem. Doesn't bother me for a second, but I think the fans are probably more conservative than the state average.

In a culture that so often demands conformity, and a team sport that so often veers toward emphasizing the individual, I'd be thrilled to have an athlete on the Uconn campus who would choose to exercise his conscience publicly in the interest of social justice, even if I didn't agree with a particular stand that he took... especially if he has a seven foot wing span!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Thats the point though. People in sports are doing this to raise awareness. To voter suppression, gentrification, to police brutality, etc.

The fact that he KNOWS he will probably get flack for it at the college level, and still wants to stand by his convictions is incredibly admirable and mature. It is not a petulant child rebelling as some would suggest. It's calculated.

Even if you dont agree (and I don't agree with some of the BLM agenda), its hard not to respect a young man standing up for his rights within the limits of the law.

If this got attention in the media, our recruits--who are primarily black--would take notice of how UConn reacts. I guarantee it.

Fyi I'm only responding to you because you're the more reasonable of the opponents here and I appreciate it
I prefer to discuss/debate topics. I'll never understand those who throw that away for the sake of name calling.

Reaction Score
Am I allowed to respond or will I get banned like none of these people have?

Reaction Score
50/50 chance we both end up in timeout
Well you added literally nothing to the discussion so you're safe. There are some who actually made posts containing substance in response to me, which I would like to address

But who really cares anyway, send it to the cesspool or not, let the thread die, whatever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom