2020 Recruiting: - Dimencio Vaughn | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Dimencio Vaughn

Status
Not open for further replies.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Tough to know what Springs will do as a freshman, but I think ultimately they’d like him to be able to stretch the floor with his jumper because he flashed that ability in HS. The offensive boards will probably be his bread and butter, which would be a nice compliment to Nolley, who was very bad on the offensive glass.

But you can make up for not being good on the offensive glass with good transition defense, don’t analytics say that’s actually more important?

Reaction Score
But you can make up for not being good on the offensive glass with good transition defense, don’t analytics say that’s actually more important?
As a team it’s more important for sure. Transition FGA have such a high efficiency that you don’t want to be giving those up. Basically you want bigs who can both attack the boards and can run the floor i.e. Whaley.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Just got to make sure the guys know the primary goal is to get 3s and lays.

Don't agree with this - thats what UConn basketball has been for years. Need a midrange game to keep the the opposing teams D honest and not always defending the 3 or clogging the inside. UConn needs more guys like Adrien, Omeka, Corny and others who had that 12-18' offensive game - it was a zone killer

Reaction Score

Don't agree with this - thats what UConn basketball has been for years. Need a midrange game to keep the the opposing teams D honest and not always defending the 3 or clogging the inside. UConn needs more guys like Adrien, Omeka, Corny and others who had that 12-18' offensive game - it was a zone killer

You are literally disagreeing with every single NBA coach, analytics expert, and the vast majority of successful college coaches when you say this.

3s and lays are the best shots in the game. That's just a fact. I encourage you to look up effective fg%. It doesn't mean you don't take midrange shots. It means you design your offense to get the better shots and shoot mid-range shots when that's what the D gives you.

I'm done with the argument though. I feel like I'm speaking to a wall. It's a good thing ya'll aren't getting paid as much as Danny to coach this team' that's for sure

Reaction Score

Not to sidetrack, but I've seen you call Emeka Okafor "Omeka" a bunch of times. Is that on purpose? Like using the first letter of his last name for the first letter of his first name. Don't ever remember that before. Just curious.

Reaction Score

8C4C70E8-9C0F-4004-848C-F2F79E7014F9.gif

Reaction Score

You taking bout Popper? Aka the artist formerly known as pork chop?

Reaction Score
You are literally disagreeing with every single NBA coach, analytics expert, and the vast majority of successful college coaches when you say this.

3s and lays are the best shots in the game. That's just a fact. I encourage you to look up effective fg%. It doesn't mean you don't take midrange shots. It means you design your offense to get the better shots and shoot mid-range shots when that's what the D gives you.

I'm done with the argument though. I feel like I'm speaking to a wall. It's a good thing ya'll aren't getting paid as much as Danny to coach this team' that's for sure

I agree with you but please stop calling them “lays.”

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
An active, full court havoc defense, I’m comfortable with Cole, Bouk, (Vaughn/Jackson), (JAckson/Vaughn/Nolley/Polley), then Whaley.

I think whatever we give up for in size, I think we’ll make up for in intensity, speed & athleticism

With great size to pivot too off the bench if needed

Springs 6’10
Carlton 6’11
Javonte Brown Ferguson 7’0
Akok 6’9 if he’s healthy and decides to play

Reaction Score
With great size to pivot too off the bench if needed

Springs 6’10
Carlton 6’11
Akok 6’9 if he’s healthy and decides to play
We’re gonna be so good. (Knocks on wood)

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
We’re gonna be so good. (Knocks on wood)

My (knock on wood x5) lineup

Cole 6’1
Bouknight 6’5
Nolley 6’7
Polley 6’9
Whaley 6’8

Gaffney 6’2
Jackson 6’6
Vaughn 6’5
Adams 6’4
Springs 6‘10
Carlton 6’11

Akok 6’9 - if healthy and decides to play

Would be awesome to see Javonte Brown Ferguson hit the ground running and compete for minutes straightaway

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Cole 6’1
Bouknight 6’5
Nolley 6’7
Polley 6’9
Whaley 6’8

Jackson 6’6
Vaughn 6’5
Adams 6’4
Springs 6‘10
Carlton 6’11

Akok 6’9

Would be awesome to see Javonte Brown Ferguson hit the ground running and compete for minutes straightaway
I just realized how good we could potentially be next year. WOW lmao

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Cole 6’1
Bouknight 6’5
Nolley 6’7
Polley 6’9
Whaley 6’8

Jackson 6’6
Vaughn 6’5
Adams 6’4
Springs 6‘10
Carlton 6’11

Akok 6’9

Gaffney

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Just saw on a 538 article that Michigan state’s top lineup was top 75 in the country in average height despite having no one taller than 6-8. That sounds like hurleys general mo for the most part. Size all around since you aren’t getting the 5 star big men here...yet
Small ball works best with tough guards who gang rebound.

Cole 6’1
Bouknight 6’5
Nolley 6’7
Polley 6’9
Whaley 6’8

Jackson 6’6
Vaughn 6’5
Adams 6’4
Springs 6‘10
Carlton 6’11

Akok 6’9

You don’t think Gaffney will even be in the rotation?

Reaction Score

Cole 6’1
Bouknight 6’5
Nolley 6’7
Polley 6’9
Whaley 6’8

Jackson 6’6
Vaughn 6’5
Adams 6’4
Springs 6‘10
Carlton 6’11

Akok 6’9

I don't see Polley starting, that lineup while great offensively would be weak defensively.

Reaction Score

Cole 6’1
Bouknight 6’5
Nolley 6’7
Polley 6’9
Whaley 6’8

Jackson 6’6
Vaughn 6’5
Adams 6’4
Springs 6‘10
Carlton 6’11

Akok 6’9

Gaffney going from quality freshman starter to not cracking the rotation is bold

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Gaffney going from quality freshman starter to not cracking the rotation is bold

Haha I had him in there right under Jackson at 6’2. Not sure what happened. Edited

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I don't see Polley starting, that lineup while great offensively would be weak defensively.
Unfortunately for Polley he’s both injured and didn’t play well last year. He didn’t show the ability to put it on the floor and get to the rim that we were told about before the season started. We also significantly improved both on the boards and overall offensively after he went down. I honestly see him as a shooter off the bench playing like 15 minutes a game when he comes back.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately for Polley he’s both injured and didn’t play well last year. He didn’t show the ability to put it on the floor and get to the rim that we were told about before the season started. We also significantly improved both on the boards and overall offensively after he went down. I honestly see him as a shooter off the bench playing like 15 minutes a game when he comes back.

Literally the last game he played he was an absolute warrior beast and it looked like the lightbulb went on for him as it did for so many players this year, but ok bro. The fact our offense improved after he got hurt has nothing to do with him an everything to do with Hurley finally, out of necessity, changing up the guard rotations and putting Isaiah Whaley at the 5.

I will note he was our most efficient offensive player for the year, by a LOT, our 3rd best player overall according to the data, and he was our only above average 3 point shooter. That kind of player is very valuable so saying he "didn't play well" is flat out wrong.

Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 11.43.15 PM.png

As for his role next year, there will always be big minutes for a 6'9 guy with range, tough to say how it shakes out but this Tyler Polley is bad revisionism is very bizarre and very wrong.

Reaction Score
Literally the last game he played he was an absolute warrior beast and it looked like the lightbulb went on for him as it did for so many players this year, but ok bro. The fact our offense improved after he got hurt has nothing to do with him an everything to do with Hurley finally, out of necessity, changing up the guard rotations and putting Isaiah Whaley at the 5.

I will note he was our most efficient offensive player for the year, by a LOT, our 3rd best player overall according to the data, and he was our only above average 3 point shooter. That kind of player is very valuable so saying he "didn't play well" is flat out wrong.

View attachment 52696

As for his role next year, there will always be big minutes for a 6'9 guy with range, tough to say how it shakes out but this Tyler Polley is bad revisionism is very bizarre and very wrong.
Thank you! I don't know where this Tyler didn't play well theory came from!

Averaged 9.5 and shot 40% from 3pt on 5 attempts per game.

Any improvement in the team that came after he got injured (in his best game of the year), came from Gilbert going to a bench role with Gaffney starting and maybe improved offensive efficiency when Akok went down. Although we took a step back on defense without Akok.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22