Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
cole-gaffney
bouk-jackson-adams
vaughn-polley
nolley-springs-akok*
whaley-carlton-brown

either cole or gaff needs to be in the game at all times so to avoid both getting into early foul trouble i dont think gaff should start. gaff starting would also further complicate our deep wing rotation.

i think the 5th spot would come down to vaughn, polley, or AJ but polley's health is a question. i think vaughn would start over AJ, at least to begin the season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
cole-gaffney
bouk-jackson-adams
vaughn-polley
nolley-springs-akok*
whaley-carlton-brown

either cole or gaff needs to be in the game at all times so to avoid both getting into early foul trouble i dont think gaff should start. gaff starting would also further complicate our deep wing rotation.

i think the 5th spot would come down to vaughn, polley, or AJ but polley's health is a question. i think vaughn would start over AJ, at least to begin the season.

Really good problem to have, but I can't imagine how Hurley will manage minutes given that roster, especially once Akok is back. So much talent and mouths to feed.

Reaction Score
Really good problem to have, but I can't imagine how Hurley will manage minutes given that roster, especially once Akok is back. So much talent and mouths to feed.
Those are good problems to have.

Reaction Score
Thank you! I don't know where this Tyler didn't play well theory came from!

Averaged 9.5 and shot 40% from 3pt on 5 attempts per game.

Any improvement in the team that came after he got injured (in his best game of the year), came from Gilbert going to a bench role with Gaffney starting and maybe improved offensive efficiency when Akok went down. Although we took a step back on defense without Akok.

Many many things made them better but most of it was the improvement of 3. Whaley, Gilbert off the bench and Vital who was the same player but was making shots. Gaffney was part of it no doubt but he wasn’t that same guy the last few games though. Whaley was huge in the progression and was able to replace some things we lost but also didn’t have prior. But CV and AG were making better decisions also, and part of that because they also made some shots. Their ability to play many minutes together also helped our overall defense. Oh yeah make it 4 players because when we lost those close games down the stretch we didn’t yet have the real Bouk. I think he made a difference when he gained his confidence.

No matter having a healthy Polley isn’t anything but good. Kid can shoot it and can defend a bit better than many portray him. This team could be deep and at times the bench could be a killer if things fall into place.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’d have to respectfully disagree. Akok, coming off injury will only play half the year. Javonte Brown Ferguson, as noted multiple times, a project and not going to get significant minutes if any. Carlton not that talented. Brendan Adams, not that talented. Springs, no one has seen him play a second of college ball, other than he’s been doing decent at practice. Polley, coming off an ACL tear. So assuming we get Vaughn and Nolley (might even have to sit), which unfortunately means we are missing out on Sanogo, basically means about 8 guys will get consistent minutes a night. When Akok comes back it will be a little more complicated, but I trust Hurley.

Reaction Score
Tough to know what Springs will do as a freshman, but I think ultimately they’d like him to be able to stretch the floor with his jumper because he flashed that ability in HS. The offensive boards will probably be his bread and butter, which would be a nice compliment to Nolley, who was very bad on the offensive glass.
Boneyarders are really high on Springs for some reason. What was his ranking coming in? I expect him to be a 5-8 minute guy who is a project but I could be wrong.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately for Polley he’s both injured and didn’t play well last year. He didn’t show the ability to put it on the floor and get to the rim that we were told about before the season started. We also significantly improved both on the boards and overall offensively after he went down. I honestly see him as a shooter off the bench playing like 15 minutes a game when he comes back.
In today's college I don't think Tyler Phommachanh is athletic enough to play the 3. I think he is best as a stretch 4 coming off the bet.

Reaction Score
Boneyarders are really high on Springs for some reason. What was his ranking coming in? I expect him to be a 5-8 minute guy who is a project but I could be wrong.

I don’t know if I’d call him a project, but I don’t think he’ll see that many minutes this year barring a big injury.

Reaction Score
My (knock on wood x5) lineup

Cole 6’1
Bouknight 6’5
Nolley 6’7
Polley 6’9
Whaley 6’8

Gaffney 6’2
Jackson 6’6
Vaughn 6’5
Adams 6’4
Springs 6‘10
Carlton 6’11

Javonte Brown Ferguson 7’0
Akok 6’9 - if healthy and decides to play

Would be awesome to see Javonte Brown Ferguson hit the ground running and compete for minutes straightaway
I love this roster. In today's college and NBA game I don't think you can have too many big guard/wing players who can shoot and rebound. This roster would be lacking probably one more traditional big, but would more than make it up in athleticism and toughness

Reaction Score
I don’t know if I’d call him a project, but I don’t think he’ll see that many minutes this year barring a big injury.

The truth is no one can fully know what to expect since no one has seen him play. His ranking coming out of high school doesn't tell us much because he joined Uconn early instead of doing the post grad year. (Ranking likely would've improved during the post grad year)

I think we need to read the tea leafs a little better. Springs was expected to play last year but he was deemed academically ineligible. So his "project" year may have been last season. He's been in strength and conditioning and practiced with the team for a full year.

We lost Akok who was slotted in as our starting PF. And he may not play untill midyear if at all next season. Based on recruiting so far, and everyone seemingly thinking a Vaughn/Nolley combo could fill the last two scholarships, Hurley must feel ok about only adding Springs and Javonte Brown Ferguson to join Whaley and Carlton to start the year.

Javonte Brown Ferguson has natural size that could be an asset but he probably won't have the strength to contribute much as a freshman.

This is why I thought Bruner was a perfect fit. A mature true PF to fill in for Akok for one year. But if Hurley doesn't see that need and doesn't bring in another PF, then he must expect something out of Springs. Possibly as a starter in a big lineup or off the bench with someone like Vaughn or Polley starting at the 4. Either way Springs is going to play more than 5-8 mins.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like our roster for next season a lot, especially with the speculated additions. But just remember, team chemistry and individual playing rhythm is always difficult on a deep team. Teams that go 7,8 deep are always the most fun for the players because they are playing free and not as worried about being taken out of the game. However, an easy solution for this is to blow teams out and hopefully we are able to have a lot of blowouts next season.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Who are those two?

sneaking suspicion this is not a real question. You don't think A G was a great defender? I think with his flaws CV 's steals made him good. Gaffney and Bouk aren't there yet defensively.

Reaction Score
are you thinking around 10 mpg for springs or more like 5? i'd imagine that means you have brown in a garbage time role

In today's college I don't think Tyler Phommachanh is athletic enough to play the 3. I think he is best as a stretch 4 coming off the bet.

that's what the consensus here was going into last season but then polley started every game at SF and was probably one of our top 3 players until he went down. he played much better as a SF this year than he did as a stretch PF last year.

put another way- i think polley's terrible rebounding as a stretch PF was a bigger liability than his lack of athleticism as a SF. hopefully he can put on some muscle and get time at both forward spots

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Springs has a great touch. He’s gonna need to give like solid 3 minute shifts on defense and the boards.

Reaction Score
If that's our starting five we're going to have a really very good team sitting on the bench pushing for minutes.

I think Carlton and Ferguson are the two who might be struggling for minutes. I think those would be the starting 5 if both commit with Gaffney, Adams, Jackson, Polley, and Springs off the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom