Differences for attendance to Women's Team vs. Men's Team | The Boneyard

Differences for attendance to Women's Team vs. Men's Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We all know that UConn Women's team has been winning much more than UConn Men's team.
However, Men's team has been selling more tickets.
What explanation would you have for that? I have my guess, but I would like to hear the opinion from the fans of the Men's team.
Could you share your thoughts about that?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
We all know that UConn Women's team has been winning much more than UConn Men's team.
What explanation would you have for that? I have my guess, but I would like to hear the opinion from the fans of the Men's team.

You make it sound like the men's team is a poor program or something...

Besides that gripe, I think the reasons are 1) the games are more exciting (to me, anyway, and since the ticket sales are what they are, I would say also to most people) 2) the games are a bigger event- many of the men's games are on national TV. 3) there is a greater acceptance of men's sports culturally (I guess that would tie in to reason number 2, which may be why men's college basketball dominates women's college basketball in media coverage) 4) the games aren't a foregone conclusion.

You should posit these questions to fans of other schools with better women's programs than men's as well and see what they say. Try Baylor, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Stanford, Tennessee. I'd be interested in their responses. I think you'd get my first three answers, and then they don't get to use answer number four.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Yes.

You're annoying. And men's basketball is a more popular sport.

This is not rocket science.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Yes.

You're annoying. And men's basketball is a more popular sport.

This is not rocket science.

Hahaha I tried to at least be diplomatic...

Reaction Score
When I state the following it is not meant as an insult to the women's fans. It is just my observations and my opinion. Many ( not all) of the women's fans are not really big sports fans. But they adopted the women as their team. My father in-law and sister in-law, are cases in point. They followed no other pro or college teams , but followed the women. Really did not even know much about basketball, but they both followed the women religiously.

As time went on the they both have lost their initial passion for the team. They still follow it, but not at same level as initially. They hardly ever attend games in person any more, and usually but not always watch on TV. I think their decreased level of interest has very little to do with the team, but because they are not sports fans.

In regards to the men, I believe most everyone ( not all) that attend these games have always been sports fans. They follow teams no matter the situation, because they love following sports.

Again this is not to0 disparage the women's fans. The UConn women's fans are unbelievable. On our bad nights we out draw almost everyone in the country by a wide margin.

The state of Connecticut is incredibly fortunate to have these 2 teams to follow during the winter.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Watching women play basketball is not far off from watching paint dry.... Hence the difference in ticket sales.

However, I'd watch women's tennis, gymnastics, & volleyball over men's any day.

Reaction Score
Men's basketball is a much more popular sport than women's basketball at every level. I think most people find the men's game at the college level more exciting than the women's game for a whole host of reasons. The players are more athletic and better skilled. I think most fans find the more athletic style of play to be more exciting to watch. There are also sociological reasons, most men grew up playing some sort of competitive basketball at some point in their lives, more and more girls are playing these days but still far less than boys. There are just more boys and men who are sports fans than their are girls and women . . . . . . . . . . . Parity has something to do with it for sure. Every single game the Uconn women's team plays you know they are going to win and in 95% of them you know they will win by a lot. The Uconn women are right up there as one of the most dominant teams in the history of sport, maybe the most dominant. At some point people start taking this dominance for granted and aren't all that excited knowing the result before every game is played. The men's college game has tremedous parity. There are a whole bunch of good teams and while the Uconn men are one of the best programs you still don't know who will win in most games, this competitiveness and uncertainty is more exciting for most people than watching your typical women's team blowouts where the other team is totally outclassed. There are far more competive teams in the men's college game. . . . . . . . . . As another poster said you should ask people at other good women's basket all schools and check their attendance levels compared to UConn to see if their are any parallels. .. . . . Hope this helps.

Reaction Score
Men's sports are simply exponentially more popular than women's sports. I think that fact can be traced back to gender expectations, some of which are socially constructed and some of which are biological.

Some would argue that men's sports are more popular for the simple reason that men are bigger, faster, and stronger. That might be true, but I think physical traits that are distinct to gender often say what we want them to say, and because of that I believe the popularity of men's sports derives primarily from cultural roots. Every young boy is exposed to an environment that views athletics as a celebration of masculinity. But to the extent that men's sports are celebrated while female sports are minimized is also somewhat arbitrary. They are different, yet different in ways that are not necessarily inherently better or worse (obviously, a men's team would beat a women's team on the scoreboard, but that doesn't make it a better product; many people on this board prefer college basketball to the pros despite the fact that the quality of play is vastly inferior).

I'll be interested on the direction you take your project in. What I've always wondered - and continue to wonder - is whether female sports would surpass men's sports in popularity if the platforms were reversed. What if instead of people like me growing up watching men sports, we grew up watching female sports? That seems preposterous and maybe it is, but the way we would react to that hypothetical would likely denote whether there is an intrinsic appeal to men's sports or if it's an extension of culture. I'm not sure if that makes sense to anybody besides me, but if we were told - explicitly or otherwise - from a young age that female sports were superior, I think there is the possibility that we begin to conceptualize female sports in a completely different way.

Reaction Score
Hi Gabriela,

My name is BlueDogHouse. Please don't be a stranger to this message board. Your insight and thought provoking questions are a wonderful addition to this some times "Vanilla" message board. Well in the off season it gets that way. I am going to put some thought into your question and do my best to answer with wit, charm and intellect. All three (3) of these character traits I cherish ;). Your name is beautiful. Husky Nan is 1 of if not my fav poster. So welcome. I hope you enjoy your experience.

Warmest Welcome,
BDH :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Men's sports are simply exponentially more popular than women's sports. I think that fact can be traced back to gender expectations, some of which are socially constructed and some of which are biological.

Some would argue that men's sports are more popular for the simple reason that men are bigger, faster, and stronger. That might be true, but I think physical traits that are distinct to gender often say what we want them to say, and because of that I believe the popularity of men's sports derives primarily from cultural roots. Every young boy is exposed to an environment that views athletics as a celebration of masculinity. But to the extent that men's sports are celebrated while female sports are minimized is also somewhat arbitrary. They are different, yet different in ways that are not necessarily inherently better or worse (obviously, a men's team would beat a women's team on the scoreboard, but that doesn't make it a better product; many people on this board prefer college basketball to the pros despite the fact that the quality of play is vastly inferior).

I'll be interested on the direction you take your project in. What I've always wondered - and continue to wonder - is whether female sports would surpass men's sports in popularity if the platforms were reversed. What if instead of people like me growing up watching men sports, we grew up watching female sports? That seems preposterous and maybe it is, but the way we would react to that hypothetical would likely denote whether there is an intrinsic appeal to men's sports or if it's an extension of culture. I'm not sure if that makes sense to anybody besides me, but if we were told - explicitly or otherwise - from a young age that female sports were superior, I think there is the possibility that we begin to conceptualize female sports in a completely different way.

Good answer...excellent.

Reaction Score
Hi Gabriela, I think there are 2 main reasons. First, men's basketball in general is much more popular than women's basketball. There's no way around it. Second, I think it's because fans know that pretty much every women's game will be a blow out. Many fans, myself included, don't get much enjoyment out of seeing the UConn women win by 40+ every night.

Reaction Score
Hi Gabriela, I think there are 2 main reasons. First, men's basketball in general is much more popular than women's basketball. There's no way around it. Second, I think it's because fans know that pretty much every women's game will be a blow out. Many fans, myself included, don't get much enjoyment out of seeing the UConn women win by 40+ every night.

They were a 31 point favorite in their elite eight match-up against 31-4 Texas. That's mind-boggling.

There are few things I love more than watching UConn steamroll people. But this would be like if the best team we played was Coppin State. That would suck.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Watching women play basketball is not far off from watching paint dry.... Hence the difference in ticket sales.

However, I'd watch women's tennis, gymnastics, & volleyball over men's any day.
Watching the Women's team move the ball around the court, run plays to get players free for good shots, slow things down when the pace spins out of control, position themselves and contest for rebounds, and dive for loose balls is all more enjoyable than watching paint dry. There are times when it's more enjoyable than watching the Men's team NOT doing such things. I like when both teams play stifling defense and make their free throws.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Watching the Women's team move the ball around the court, run plays to get players free for good shots, slow things down when the pace spins out of control, position themselves and contest for rebounds, and dive for loose balls is all more enjoyable than watching paint dry. There are times when it's more enjoyable than watching the Men's team NOT doing such things. I like when both teams play stifling defense and make their free throws.
Thank you for your opinion, but you're in the minority fella

Reaction Score
Both programs fans are spoiled so the stats should be similar (and higher) nonetheless. But the fact remains the men's games are more competitive, the parity is there in the mens game and not in the womens game. It's hard to find fans who can get themselves out of their warm homes in the winter to go watch the women Huskies knowingly win another by 50-60 points so their numbers are very good considering that in itself and the fans of the women should be commended. Still the athletic nature of the mens game, whether people like to believe the women "play the game it's supposed to be played" or not, is much more appealing to the every day basketball fan.

Reaction Score
wow..just wow...

I watch every game - men's and women's. I'd never think to disparage one over the other - ever. I bleed blue and support both teams vs. rooting for one and bashing the other. If you don't like the woman's game fine - but it's still UConn.

Last edited:

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Welcome to the Boneyard please enjoy your stay.

To answer your question. Flashiness of product. You should some research into why women's tennis just seemingly just as popular if not more popular than men's tennis.

Reaction Score
wow..just wow...

I watch every game - men's and women's. I'd never think to disparage one over the other - ever. I bleed blue and support both teams vs. rooting for one and bashing the other. If you don't like the woman's game fine - but it's still UConn.
What stuff do you consider "bashing"?

Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member