Didn't see this coming... Nebrich Out | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Didn't see this coming... Nebrich Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thanks Mike for working hard. It was to everyones benefit, yours,your team mates and us fans. It says a lot becoming, as a true freshman the #2 QB on a BCS team with 4 others at the same position. Good luck, best wishes.

Reaction Score
Sounds like he is going to Fordham or most likely another D1AA school where he can play right away. This shouldn't be such a shocking development, really. Here is a kid who was recruited by a different coach. He was in a pretty tricky situation last year...almost an impossible one...the original intent was for him to redshirt, but he got forced into competition for which he really wasn't prepared (almost no true frosh quarterback is). This year the coaches brought in Whitmer, who not only won the starting job, but has 3 years of eligibility left on top of that. The fact that UConn went out and recruited Whitmer strongly suggested to me at least that they had serious questions about whether they had a quarterback on the roster who could do what they think was needed to be competitive immediately.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
The fact that UConn went out and recruited Whitmer strongly suggested to me at least that they had serious questions about whether they had a quarterback on the roster who could do what they think was needed to be competitive immediately.

He belongs at Fordham. That's his level. He can fight for a job there. UCONN and the BE was over his head. He knew it, that's why he quit.

Reaction Score
We may be in great shape next year but we just took a hit for this one. If Whit goes down early I think Nebrich gave us our best option to take the reigns for the rest of the year. JMac may improve but he has limitations. McCummings is an erratic passer who's been known to put it on the ground. Casey isn't an option right now. You didn't make me feel better but I'll keep reading and maybe someone else will.

It's never a good thing when you lose your back-up QB a month before the season. That is what happened to us, so I don't think it's a good thing and I haven't heard anyone else say it is.

It is a thing that happens to I-A football programs. It is not a catastrophic things because we have a back-up QB with a year's experience as a starter to replace him. But it is by no means a "good" thing.

Happy now?

Reaction Score
Because football players, want to play, and it's tough to take a seat, when you expect to play. There's a football culture change that coach P has quietly installed here at UConn, that wasn't installed before under Edsall. Upper classmen, aren't guaranteed jobs. Players coming in now, aren't going to need a year or two of physical development time.

It's my understanding that the kid from Newburgh Academy, is making an impact on the DL, and we're lucky we were able to recruit a guy like this, because in teh past, if a guy like Shamar goes down, the defensive line rotation is in serious trouble.

I've said many times, that we've been able to put our #1's in the past out on the field, and line up and compete with anybody in the country.

But this season, is the first season, that we've had what I call complete 1-A roster, from #1-#4, such that any lineup from #1-#4 can step out on game day, and not be immediately overmatched.

Nebrich is gone, and so is another OL. Shamar tweaked a knee. McCummings is MIA. In the past, these things would be cause for panic.

I'm not worried. We've got guys that can step right in and play.

Generally I agree with you, however, we've had depth at certain positions, just not up and down the entire roster.

Kendall Reyes was given a starting job as an RS freshman due to injury and he never gave it up. Until last year we've also had incredible depth at RB. LB we've always seem to have a rotation of quality guys. Maybe I'm nitpicking. Okay, i'm definitely nitpicking. We've definitely started improving our depth throughout the entire roster.

Reaction Score
We may be in great shape next year but we just took a hit for this one. If Whit goes down early I think Nebrich gave us our best option to take the reigns for the rest of the year. JMac may improve but he has limitations. McCummings is an erratic passer who's been known to put it on the ground. Casey isn't an option right now. You didn't make me feel better but I'll keep reading and maybe someone else will.

McEntee took a lot of heat last year, but having a senior like McEntee in the backup role? If the situation arises that we need a backup QB to step in and compete to help us win games? I doesn't get more desireable in a single season than the situation we've got, with a senior, with a full season of experience in the system, mentally and emotionally embracing the role of preparing properly as a backup, and showing the younger guys how that's done, becuase there is no position on the roster, where #2 needs to be prepare, and be ready - the way the #2 QB needs to, to be ready to step in when needed.......and he's not taking up a scholarship either.

There was going to be an odd man out, in the QB depth chart. With McEntee graduating next year, Whitmer, Cochran, and Lagow coming in, will make for a nice stepwise progression in the QB depth chart by class, one year lined up right after the next, and all of them pro-style QB's. Nebrich, if he was going to stay, would have needed to either become somethign he never was before (a drop back passer) or take over McCummings spot in the offense. He's not nearly the runner that McCummings is, size wise, and that offensive package is about a player that can stand back there, and run somebody over carrying the pig, if necessary.

I have no idea what's going on with McCummings, but I hope he's healthy and back soon, ready to contribute in his package, but his package, is not in the base offense QB depth chart, and I wouldn't be surprised, to see that there are players on the roster, that are backing up McCummings in that offensive pacakge, that aren't listed as QB's.

Reaction Score
He belongs at Fordham. That's his level. He can fight for a job there. UCONN and the BE was over his head. He knew it, that's why he quit.
What a ridiculous post. The kid played sparingly as a true freshman in a one dimensional offense behind an O-Line that gave up more sacks than 116 other teams. Yet you're certain to know what his ceiling is? Unreal.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Good luck to Nebrich. As has been stated, it is a blow to our depth and puts Cochrane's redshirt at risk, but I think we should be OK and I understand why he would look for another place to play.

I think Coach P might have named the starter early to give Nebrich options. If he had waited until the end of camp to name Whitmer...Nebrich might have had hope to start and stayed....then if he didn't he wouldn't have had as many options.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i have been saying this for a while and everyone shoots back at me. but it finally happened. it may not be over yet with kids leaving also. good luck to nebrich i wish the best for him. we will be fine at qb, there was a reason certain players were running wildcat stuff at practice. P knows who is going to be on this team an who isn't. jmac as a backup is ok for what we have right now. it makes us thin at qb but as long as whitmer stays healthy he gets the ball as mush as possible as he is the next 3 years of this program.

Reaction Score
i have been saying this for a while and everyone shoots back at me. but it finally happened. it may not be over yet with kids leaving also. good luck to nebrich i wish the best for him. we will be fine at qb, there was a reason certain players were running wildcat stuff at practice. P knows who is going to be on this team an who isn't. jmac as a backup is ok for what we have right now. it makes us thin at qb but as long as whitmer stays healthy he gets the ball as mush as possible as he is the next 3 years of this program.

I had high hopes for Nebrich dan. I think he was given every opportunity to develop into the kind of pro-set QB we want......b/c he's got the ability to create while on the move, and having that on top of the basics of the system - is highly, highly desireable.....

but it's just really hard to develop the footwork, timing, and mechanics of decision making and throwing when you're taking 3,5,7 step drops from under center, when you're at this level of the game, and have never done it before, and ahve guys around you that do know it, and can do it, competing for the job.

Every clip I've seen of the kid prior to coming to UConn, the vast majority of his snaps in high school were shotgun snaps, and essentially no footwork or timing in the throws, shotgun snap, react, move wherever you feel the space, and then let it fly.

He simply wasn't recruited for the kind of offense we are goign to run, BUT - if he had been able to develop the drop back skills fast enough, he had great potential to be a really diverse and dangerous threat at the QB position.

It seems, if you're to believe twitter, that he's going to the Bronx and re-uniting with Moorhead. That would be great for all involved. Fordham just recently began to award scholarships again, and I think is going to be part of the ramping up of football scholarships happening with the Patriot league.

I have no idea what kind of offense that Moorhead has installed there,, but if I remember correctly when he made his opening speech there, he talked about an offense that is similar to what we want to do. Anyway, I'm more than sure, that a kid like Nebrich, can go there, and immediately be in the mix to be the starter, even if it is a pro-set, and he has some hiccups in the drop back passing game initially, becasue at that level, it won't be as costly as it will be at the level we're at, if we're going to play the precision offense game.

I wish him the best of luck, by all accounts, a great kid, a hard worker, and a company guy.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The more I kept reading about more and more QBs being looked at and/or signing up it was obvious something was going to pop. I remember Mike being a recruit that excited a lot of us. When Cochran became a Husky I thought Nebrich was in trouble.

Reaction Score
The more I kept reading about more and more QBs being looked at and/or signing up it was obvious something was going to pop. I remember Mike being a recruit that excited a lot of us. When Cochran became a Husky I thought Nebrich was in trouble.

And I remember Box being a recruit that excited a lot of us.

It happens. Good luck Mike.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
on a side note, wes hopkins made the team 2day. bloomfield kid...

Reaction Score

So what's the word on the street regarding McCummings Dan? Is he exploring his options? I think McCummings would be a bigger loss for this season then Nebrich. I don't think the Wildcat will be very effective without him.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
So what's the word on the street regarding McCummings Dan? Is he exploring his options? I think McCummings would be a bigger loss for this season then Nebrich. I don't think the Wildcat will be very effective without him.

don't know. but it doesn't seem good. all i have seen on the machine for those wondering...he was a great running qb. but when he was in, the d knew whats up. i actually think out best wildcat will be with whitmer using foxx/williams/williams type deal. doing both packages with whitmer would really give this O a great look. a new improved passing game thats protected by a solid running game and a freak wildcat to keep the d off balance. i like that idea.
Tweets
Scott McCummings@smccummings112
hurts not bein at camp...

Collapse

5:46 PM - 3 Aug 12 via web · Details

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I wish him well.

Reaction Score

We've missed you so much. When you post it's kinda like an IBS episode taking place in the middle of the desert with no Tyler Phommachanh in sight.

Reaction Score
Dez spoke w/ Mike... Makes you go hmmm, but classy in his departure.

http://courantblogs.com/uconn-footb...am/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Former UConn Quarterback Michael Nebrich Talks About Decision To Leave The Program
by DCONNER on AUGUST 8, 2012

What’s goin on?

Checked in with sophomore quarterback Michael Nebrich who announced through the school this morning that he was transferring.

Some thoughts here from him on the move. Nebrich had been practicing well and looed good early in preseason camp.

“It doesn’t really have anything to do with how I was practicing or the whole playing time-aspect,” Nebrich told The Courant Wednesday morning. “In my heart I just felt it was the right time to go, the right move for me, so I just think personally it’s the right decision for me. I feel like it’s the right time to step away and try something new.”

So it wasn’t depth chart placement or opportunity?

“No, because talking with Coach [Paul] Pasqualoni and [Quarterbacks coach Shane] Day it didn’t matter who was No.1 or No.2 going into it. I was going to see the field this year anyway so the playing time aspect wasn’t really a factor for me. It was more of a personal issue. I just felt it was right to move on and start something new. That’s how I made the decision.”

You know, Nebrich had put a lot of time and effort to becoming a quarterback here and I want to say he arrived in the 185-pound range. He’s at about 210 now. He throws the ball extremely well and was throwing so well to the point Pasqualoni lauded him big time following the first day of practice.

“I did [put a lot of time in] and I was looking forward to the season but some things came up and it was more of a personal decision to pack up and leave now. I’m not going to say anything bad about the team, coaching staff, nothing because everybody was great. I wouldn’t even be where I am right now without any of those guys.”

So what’s new FBS or FCS on the transfer?

I don’t know. I just got released this morning so I’ll head home tomorrow, talk to my high school head coach and we’ll see where things will end up but right now I don’t know what road I’m going to take. I’m not set on anything. I’m open to anything, any school but for me the most important factor in this decision will be going someplace where I’m going to be happy doing what I’m doing – doesn’t matter what level it’s at.”

Reaction Score
There is no question Nebrich can compete in the Big East. The Matt Grothe comparisons are legit and he was very effective in this league.

Reaction Score
He was recruited for a diferent system as a dual-threat under a different coach competing in a pro/drop back set. Whitmer faced similar circumstances at Illinois with the systems reveresed.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i actually wouldn't be surprised if psu took interest.

Reaction Score
It doesn't sound like Fordham is a lock at all. Sounds like he multiple opportunities which is not surprising. He gave 110% in the open practice yesterday and that evening he bails. It seems possible that someone was at the practice to take a look, liked what he saw and gave an offer. There was a guy there with sunglasses a baseball cap and a moustache...Hmm.

I think the big issue is that P and DeLeone run a very structured system and Nebrich needs to be a move the pocket freelancer. Nebrich became a round peg trying to fit into a square hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom