Didn't see this coming... Nebrich Out | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Didn't see this coming... Nebrich Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was afraid of this as well. With Whitmer, Cochran, McCummings, and now Lagow, the position was getting crowded. I wish Nebrich well. He seemed like a solid young man from a great family.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
WTF, unbelievable.

McCummings better be coming back or we have issues.

Not necessarily. Right now we have a clear #1, a serviceable upperclassman backup, a touted (locally anyway) freshman #3 who is likely a RS but available if necessary. Plus, another touted (for us anyway) QB commit for next season. I would expect transfers.

It is how it should be. It feels strange because it hasn't happened here in a while.

A wildcat backup with throwing issues is a luxury. At best, he beats out JM for #2 and CC definitely redshirts. I had assumed his personal absence was that he was transferring.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I doubt P blocks him. But you never know. Nebrich wasn't recruited as a drop back passer, and we're most definitely a pro-style offensive concept team now. it's a skill that hopefully he picked up over the past year, and if the rumors are accurate about where he's going, he definitely is not the kind of kid that is content to compete on the practice fields of a division 1-A program, and work for his time on the field, and would rather have a better shot at starting at a lower level, becuase the competition at the QB position is only going to get more intense, and it's not the style of QB that he was recruited to be.

Too bad, the kid had great potential to be a multiple threat QB as both a drop back passer, and a mobile QB. Aaron Rodgers is the gold standard now. Only way to defend a guy like that at the QB position, is to knock him down before he can do anything with the ball.

Reaction Score
Nebrich was treated very poorly last year. He watched as the QB ahead of him failed to produce and counter to the coaches words, he wasn't given a fair chance to play.

Michael handled the situation with class. He never complained and he worked hard. If he feels this is the best route for him, good luck. I think this is a very talented kid and will land on his feet.

Reaction Score
One other thing to say - transfers are probably not done yet. I guarantee that the players on this squad are seeing a level of player and competition on the field for this camp, that many of the upper classmen have never seen before. You've got freshmen, that are big, and can play - newcomers all over the place, that are big, adn can play.

pj

Reaction Score
It leaves us thin - McEntee as the backup this year and Cochran or McCummings better step up next year. By Whitmer's senior year with Lagow and Cochran, we'll be OK, assuming no injuries or setbacks.

Reaction Score
Hopefully McCummings is back soon. What happened to Nebrich sucks, but competition is a fact of life at that level. You can't blame Nebrich- his role was defined as a backup for the next three years.

For the team in general, this is the clear signal that there is a #1 QB come hell or high water. And that in and of itself is refreshing.

pj

Reaction Score
One other thing to say - transfers are probably not done yet. I guarantee that the players on this squad are seeing a level of player and competition on the field for this camp, that many of the upper classmen have never seen before. You've got freshmen, that are big, and can play - newcomers all over the place, that are big, adn can play.

Why would an upperclassman transfer because of competition from underclassmen? If they're not good enough to play here, what's the point of losing a year to go play at a lower-tier school, taking an extra year of college to do it? Might as well stay here and compete, finish up and graduate on time.

Reaction Score
Why would an upperclassman transfer because of competition from underclassmen? If they're not good enough to play here, what's the point of losing a year to go play at a lower-tier school, taking an extra year of college to do it? Might as well stay here and compete, finish up and graduate on time.

Because football players, want to play, and it's tough to take a seat, when you expect to play. There's a football culture change that coach P has quietly installed here at UConn, that wasn't installed before under Edsall. Upper classmen, aren't guaranteed jobs. Players coming in now, aren't going to need a year or two of physical development time.

It's my understanding that the kid from Newburgh Academy, is making an impact on the DL, and we're lucky we were able to recruit a guy like this, because in teh past, if a guy like Shamar goes down, the defensive line rotation is in serious trouble.

I've said many times, that we've been able to put our #1's in the past out on the field, and line up and compete with anybody in the country.

But this season, is the first season, that we've had what I call complete 1-A roster, from #1-#4, such that any lineup from #1-#4 can step out on game day, and not be immediately overmatched.

Nebrich is gone, and so is another OL. Shamar tweaked a knee. McCummings is MIA. In the past, these things would be cause for panic.

I'm not worried. We've got guys that can step right in and play.

Reaction Score

The point is "losing a year to go play". With the operative word being "play". Guys at this level are players and want to be on the field. Regardless of what level they are playing they want the joy of the game after toiling in practice for weeks. If it requires a transfer to get on the field and play I can totally understand as a person's football life is limited and playing time is precious. From an academic standpoint, a transfer and an additional year of college can result is tremendous progress toward a graduate degree. In short, why should a kid rush to get out of college and enter this economy.

Reaction Score
Was really excited to see what Neibrich could have done given the chance. I feel like he would be a Tino Sunseri type of qb, but it would have taken a few years to get the throwing decisions down. He showed a good arm and he looked quick to me and not afraid of contact in what little we saw . Good luck to him , I hope he eventually winds up in 1a program somewhere. I do think he was coached well here in regard to his throwing

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Coach P, brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Surprising, but perhaps not shocking since Moorehead left that the QB he recruited feels he might not fit with the new system. Especially with Whitmer coming in and grabbing the starting position pretty clearly in the spring.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I wish Nebrich luck wherever he goes (except for if he plays against us, of course). Once a Husky, always a Husky...

Reaction Score
So what are the odds he goes to Maryland? I remember someone posting that he attended a Maryland game last year during the bye week. He would become the ultimate spy for Edsall.

Could P block him?

I dont think good if he wants to play. They have a stud QB coming in next year at Maryland.

Reaction Score
This really hurts. I feel Mike certainly has the talent to perform at this level and I understand the frustration. Really felt he was our best #2 and could have stepped in and done a great job. Darnit!!!!

Good luck to Mike and his family. Dad is a real gentleman who was nice enough to share some information here in the past. If he's reading just want to say thanks.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I wish the guy well but to be honest I did not see even a slight hint of his having the ability to become the starter here. Fordham would be a great place to go to school on a full ride.

Reaction Score
Is this a loss? Sure. Catastrophic? No. Frankly, I thought Nebrich really struggled in the spring game. Johny Mac will be fine as a back-up. Then we have McEntee and Cochran to consider as well. Wish the kid was stayin, but this is very managable.

Reaction Score
Nebrich is gone, and so is another OL. Shamar tweaked a knee. McCummings is MIA. In the past, these things would be cause for panic.

I'm not worried. We've got guys that can step right in and play.

We may be in great shape next year but we just took a hit for this one. If Whit goes down early I think Nebrich gave us our best option to take the reigns for the rest of the year. JMac may improve but he has limitations. McCummings is an erratic passer who's been known to put it on the ground. Casey isn't an option right now. You didn't make me feel better but I'll keep reading and maybe someone else will.

Reaction Score
I really had a strong feeling this would happen. Granted you have to prove youself to take it to the next level, but this kid had the skills to become the VA all purpose yards leader out of high school so he's got to have some game. I just wish we got to see some of it. His numbers even surpassed Michael Vick in high school out of VA, so I was excited when he came here. Still, noone wants to sit the bench, period, so I understand where he's coming from and dont blame him. The frustrating thing for me, is to watch the interview by Coach Kelly at ND yesterday, where they have 4 LEGIT starters on that roster right now! Its crazy how a large program can keep guys, knowing, they will most likely never see the field, when they could most likely play somewhere else. I hope to God Whitmer can take a hit, and the OL is in sync, or we could have some trouble this season.
Go Huskies!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc