Did Ted Lasso just "jump the shark"? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Did Ted Lasso just "jump the shark"?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Abusive alcoholic father and the coping skill of pretending that everything is alright is my guess. We've seen Ted ready to crawl into a bottle when he's depressed from the Christmas show. We've seen that he's good at defecting negative comments, like being called a wanker or media criticisms. I think that they are going to use that as the underlying basis for his relentless cheerfulness and crippling panic attacks.
Jason Sudeikis Comfort GIF by Apple TV

Reaction Score
That theory is pretty dark.

I think he still misses his wife and family and suppressing it caused an anxiety attack.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I think he still misses his wife and family and suppressing it caused an anxiety attack.

We know Jaime has father issues and so does Nate. Ted knows about Jaime’s issues and recognized them quickly. He doesn’t know about Nate, but that’s coming. Does he have his own? It’s not that big a stretch. There is something deeper than the divorce that makes Ted so unusual. Will they go there? I don’t know, but they are about to give us a view to what makes him tick.

My sense is that the current issue is about failure as a husband and father (even if he hasn’t really), and a situation unlike he sees on the job, where there isn’t a next game, or even a next season. There‘s no second chance and it’s killing him. When she told him the relationship was unfixable, I can‘t think of anything worse for someone like Ted. He doesn’t see a path forward. My shrink sense is that Doc knows he is now like a father to Jaime, and perhaps soon Nate, he has a different family and they do all need him.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

As dark as
his dad committing suicide at age 16
?

CL82

Reaction Score
Adds so much weight to that darts scene, and the scene with Jamie from season 1 about how his father was always harder on himself than Ted
Yep “I played darts everyday with my dad until age 16”

Curiouser
Reaction Score

As dark as
his dad committing suicide at age 16
?

Yep “I played darts everyday with my dad until age 16”
Couple of quick thoughts:

As if there was any doubt that they are going to explore the dark spaces this season, note the excellent use of George Harrison’s “Beware of Darkness” during the end of the scene with Jamie and his father.

Speaking of that scene, the last time I felt a punch coming so viscerally was when Prez punched Valchek in “The Wire.”

Re Ted’s father‘s suicide and the dart scene, I’m guessing we will learn at some point that “BBQ sauce” was a reference to the blood or something else from the way he died.

Rebecca and Sam is ridiculous but interesting. If the genders were reversed there is no way they are airing that now. Maybe that’s the point? I don’t know. That’s the only storyline hitting somewhat of an off note so far imo.

Is Coach Beard going to take a dark turn now?

Good episode.

Reaction Score
Yeah I think that was my favorite episode.

It really is the Empire Strikes Back.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yeah I think that was my favorite episode.

It really is the Empire Strikes Back.

Not my favorite because it just had so many tough moments. But definitely well done.

Couple of quick thoughts:

As if there was any doubt that they are going to explore the dark spaces this season, note the excellent use of George Harrison’s “Beware of Darkness” during the end of the scene with Jamie and his father.

Speaking of that scene, the last time I felt a punch coming so viscerally was when Prez punched Valchek in “The Wire.”

Re Ted’s father‘s suicide and the dart scene, I’m guessing we will learn at some point that “BBQ sauce” was a reference to the blood or something else from the way he died.

Rebecca and Sam is ridiculous but interesting. If the genders were reversed there is no way they are airing that now. Maybe that’s the point? I don’t know. That’s the only storyline hitting somewhat of an off note so far imo.

Is Coach Beard going to take a dark turn now?

Good episode.

The punch was overdue. His dad rooting for City was enough to trigger my view that he needed to have his butt kicked, to then do what he did, unforgivable. Huge from Roy, recognizing what shaped Jamie to be the obnoxious kid he hated in season 1. I find it interesting that in Season 1, Ted came in and helped a lot of people, he was the rock. Season 2, Roy is the rock.

Beard cares about winning. He can't take being ok with losing. He showed it last year yelling at Ted about relegation. He knows it matters. My sense is that Ted will move towards Beard's view a little bit as he goes through therapy. The team honestly needs him to do that in order to make that next step.

Sam and Rebecca is ridiculous. Won't last but they both are gaining a lot. Sam is realizing that he is appealing, attractive and can be more confident. Even too a rich, attractive club owner. Rebecca is realizing that she can be vulnerable, take a chance and put herself out there.

Not sure what BBQ Sauce is, but I think it's a positive reminder of his dad. Something they made together or did together. Something to let him remember the good times and focus.

CL82

Reaction Score
Well, that was a weird episode. Next one looks like it will be pretty dark as well.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It's the second of the standalone episodes that Apple asked them to add (Christmas was the first), so not really going to fit within the story arc. Though I think they did a great job weaving this one in

I think Beard was the least explored of the main characters, so in some ways they needed to go deeper with him. This was still a bit weird.

Show did really well at the Emmys. Jason won, no surprise. I would have picked Juno over Hannah for supporting actress. Brett deserved supporting actor.

Side note: Anna Taylor Joy not winning for Queen's Gambit is criminal.

Reaction Score
I think Beard was the least explored of the main characters, so in some ways they needed to go deeper with him. This was still a bit weird.

Show did really well at the Emmys. Jason won, no surprise. I would have picked Juno over Hannah for supporting actress. Brett deserved supporting actor.

Side note: Anna Taylor Joy not winning for Queen's Gambit is criminal.
I think he'll win it next year, his S1 performance was great which is what yesterday's awards were for. But feel like season 2 is where Brett really became a star

CL82

Reaction Score
Agree. The challenge is that the character worked well as Ted's all knowing wing man of few words. I think they did a good job fleshing him out a bit, in an entertaining and quirky way. The bit with
the big guy returning the wallet
is an old one but it was done well. The show continues not to disappoint.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The late scene with the locals on the pitch made me smile. An excellent portrayal of fandom.

Reaction Score
Hopefully it's not a retread of the Jamie Tartt arc from the first season and he gets hired by another side only to come back on an opposing team in a climactic moment.
Not looking good for your hopes here

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom