Did Ted Lasso just "jump the shark"? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Did Ted Lasso just "jump the shark"?

Reaction Score
Taking over Keeley’s job? I thought about it. It’s possible. Since the position was essentially created for Keeley, in the real world I would imagine that they would just outsource it to her, but who knows?
I also thought they were setting it up for him to take over Keeley's job, though they may keep it with Keeley as the reason to keep her involved in the storylines

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The head coach never coached soccer before
And he still really hasn’t, at least as far as they have shown us. Oh he has talked about his feelings, and mental health issues, and he’s great at polling the team to determine whether or not they should continue to use “Nate‘s false nine“. He’s also pretty good at baking cookies, at least so I’ve heard. But coaching?

i don't know idk GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Actually, now that I think about it, no one on that staff has ever coached before, except Roy, who’s had a few weeks of coaching elementary school girls rec soccer experience.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
And he still really hasn’t, at least as far as they have shown us. Oh he has talked about his feelings, and mental health issues, and he’s great at polling the team to determine whether or not they should continue to use “Nate‘s false nine“. He’s also pretty good at baking cookies, at least so I’ve heard. But coaching?

i don't know idk GIF by Robert E Blackmon't know idk GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Actually, now that I think about it, no one on that staff has ever coached before, except Roy, who’s had a few weeks of coaching elementary school girls rec soccer experience.
That’s kind of my point: they haven’t been tethered to reality from the start, so I’m not expecting that to be a limitation now.

I was just thinking that he’s an interesting character that it seems they will want to keep involved somehow. Replacing Keeley hadn’t dawned on me because I don’t see that as a match for his personality or storyline; but as I said I could see him as a Diamond Dog.

Just spitballing though. Bummed that the season is over.

CL82

Reaction Score
That’s kind of my point: they haven’t been tethered to reality from the start, so I’m not expecting that to be a limitation now.

I was just thinking that he’s an interesting character that it seems they will want to keep involved somehow. Replacing Keeley hadn’t dawned on me because I don’t see that as a match for his personality or storyline; but as I said I could see him as a Diamond Dog.

Just spitballing though. Bummed that the season is over.
Yep, just spitballing back too. I agree he will be back in some capacity. He is an interesting character that was under used in season two.

Part of the fun of the show is trying to decide where they’re going to go with it. The show really is addictive. I am bummed that it’s over for the season too.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yep, just spitballing back too. I agree he will be back in some capacity. He is an interesting character that was under used in season two.

Part of the fun of the show is trying to decide where they’re going to go with it. The show really is addictive. I am bummed that it’s over for the season too.
I agree Crimm was under-used this season, but I’m glad we was fired because—even thought Nate is jerk and deserved to be outed—that’s not the way journalism works. Also thought it was odd that the article was sent to press before giving Ted any chance to comment (I know he said “no comment,” but that was after Crimm sent him the article and said it was running in the morning).

Speaking of oddities, who has their wife’s last name in their contacts?

I gather Sharon is gone for good; I am very curious to see where they go with the various storylines.

CL82

Reaction Score
I agree Crimm was under-used this season, but I’m glad we was fired because—even thought Nate is jerk and deserved to be outed—that’s not the way journalism works.
Yep, I think that was intended as a device to show how much impact Ted has on people, even people who initially oppose him.
Speaking of oddities, who has their wife’s last name in their contacts?
Totally missed that.
I gather Sharon is gone for good
Not sure, but as a weekly storyline, I think she has run her course.
I am very curious to see where they go with the various storylines.
Absolutely.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yep, I think that was intended as a device to show how much impact Ted has on people, even people who initially oppose him.
Good point. Hadn’t looked at it that way.

Reaction Score
Jason Sudeikis said this season would be like The Empire Strikes Back.

I think Nate got a taste and he will become an antagonist if there is a such thing on this show.

Boom.

Reaction Score
I think the Nate issue is going to take a darker turn before it gets solved. And there will be some sort of hubris/social media lesson in there.

Boom

Reaction Score
Ok what was Nate’s beef exactly?

I started the second season over and at the beginning he has no gray hairs.

Reaction Score

Basically he thought Ted wasn't giving him enough attention anymore and he thinks he's more qualified to be a coach than Ted (which to be fair he probably is).

A bunch of comments here from the actor who plays Nate including on the grey hair, it was intentional as a way to track his spiral throughout the season

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Basically he thought Ted wasn't giving him enough attention anymore and he thinks he's more qualified to be a coach than Ted (which to be fair he probably is).

A bunch of comments here from the actor who plays Nate including on the grey hair, it was intentional as a way to track his spiral throughout the season

Little Man Syndrome, combined with some bullying and daddy issues.

Reaction Score

He’s not more qualified lol. His people skills are his Achilles heel.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

It's interesting that he mentions that he doesn't know whether Nate will be "truly redeemed."

In a karmic way, it would seem to make sense for him to suffer his own mental illness emergency, akin to the one Ted had and Nate leaked to Crimm.

In keeping with the over-arching father issues theme, it would seem to make sense for Nate's father to reemerge in the third season and for there to be some resolution through him.

Not clear how or if they resolve the issue of the bullied becoming the bully, but I suppose it could tie in to the father and larger mental health issues also.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Having the assistants do all the heavy lifting while only adding a motivational quip or two sure worked for Bear Bryant. Barry Switzer for the Cowboys, too.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's interesting that he mentions that he doesn't know whether Nate will be "truly redeemed."
Redeemed or repaired? Using the theme of mental health, Nate thought Ted was using the false 9 "to blame it on me when it fails". That's messed up right there. Didn't matter that Ted never threw anyone under the bus before, Nate was sure he would be first. I knew a guy like that and he's still not right.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score

In a karmic way, it would seem to make sense for him to suffer his own mental illness emergency, akin to the one Ted had and Nate leaked to Crimm.

In keeping with the over-arching father issues theme, it would seem to make sense for Nate's father to reemerge in the third season and for there to be some resolution through him.

Not clear how or if they resolve the issue of the bullied becoming the bully, but I suppose it could tie in to the father and larger mental health issues also.
The resolution will come through Ted, since Ted is a father figure to him (picture of the two of them, not getting enough attention from Ted, etc.) They are setting up Nate to feel he isn't worth validation so he proactively rejects people before they can hurt him and he hates himself for it.

Love how this thread has drifted to arm chair analysis of fictional characters. It is measure of our buy in to the series.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, Rebecca’s mom’s take on how to deal with s is spot on. I do think Rupert is going to buy a controlling steak in a different team and they will become the nemesis to Richmond.

Every episode seems to have a throwaway scene showing me to be a jerk. I think Rupert will hire “the wonder kid.”

I was also thinking about the home “Empire strikes back“ reference. That was the “Luke I am your father“ movie. That ties in nicely to the whole fathers and son (and daughter) theme of the season.

Well this aged well. Nicely done. Now, tell me what stocks are going up.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Finished it last night after I got back from a wedding.

Good riddance to Nate. Ungrateful PO S. That hate filled rant, how with it affect Ted? Can he shrug that off?

Love @8893 idea of Trent joining the club. Then of course some great Trent tactic will be used to defeat Nate’s West Ham side.

Keeley & Roy is a problem. I get that she can’t take 6 weeks like a footballer can, but she could take two and should. She’s on the Nate spiral right now, it bears watching.

As for coaching, I thought all along that the premise here is that a great coach molds young people, shapes them, makes them their best selves. Look at Jaime now vs before and tell me Ted isn’t coaching. Look at Sam. Yes, he leaves tactics and formations to others, and there’s a reason amateurs like Nate (and people on this board for USMNT) have reasonable opinions on those things: it’s not that hard. American football is brutally hard, but even there great assistants can carry that load.

Beard is going to step up and show tactical brilliance. The cast says he‘s the most knowledgeable in real life, and now that he’s been through two seasons he would have picked up a lot. Ted should have picked up more by now.

CL82

Reaction Score
Finished it last night after I got back from a wedding.

Good riddance to Nate. Ungrateful PO S. That hate filled rant, how with it affect Ted? Can he shrug that off?

Love @8893 idea of Trent joining the club. Then of course some great Trent tactic will be used to defeat Nate’s West Ham side.

Keeley & Roy is a problem. I get that she can’t take 6 weeks like a footballer can, but she could take two and should. She’s on the Nate spiral right now, it bears watching.

As for coaching, I thought all along that the premise here is that a great coach molds young people, shapes them, makes them their best selves. Look at Jaime now vs before and tell me Ted isn’t coaching. Look at Sam. Yes, he leaves tactics and formations to others, and there’s a reason amateurs like Nate (and people on this board for USMNT) have reasonable opinions on those things: it’s not that hard. American football is brutally hard, but even there great assistants can carry that load.

Beard is going to step up and show tactical brilliance. The cast says he‘s the most knowledgeable in real life, and now that he’s been through two seasons he would have picked up a lot. Ted should have picked up more by now.
On the coaching thing, it’s just a preference. Ted is “a wanker” because he had no idea about how to coach soccer. He was hired despite that lack of knowledge to tank the team. But if he’s serious about his job he would be learning all he could about it from the get-go. To me, at least, it is a nice evolution to have him in a tight game make technical adjustments. Maybe, for a moment abandon the “oh shucks“ attitude while he’s making them, which would stand out to his players and cause them to believe. To the rest of the world, however, he could continue with his aw shucks I really don’t know much about anything schtick.

But, that’s more of a preference than a prediction. I just think it is good character development.

As to the market, keep cash on hand, I suspect another good buying opportunity will happen fairly soon.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
On the coaching thing, it’s just a preference. Ted is “a wanker” because he had no idea about how to coach soccer. He was hired despite that lack of knowledge to tank the team. But if he’s serious about his job he would be learning all he could about it from the get-go. To me, at least, it is a nice evolution to have him in a tight game make technical adjustments. Maybe, for a moment abandon the “oh shucks“ attitude while he’s making them, which would stand out to his players and cause them to believe. To the rest of the world, however, he could continue with his aw shucks I really don’t know much about anything schtick.

But, that’s more of a preference than a prediction. I just think it is good character development.

As to the market, keep cash on hand, I suspect another good buying opportunity will happen fairly soon.

Oh I agree with you. Ted is completely unrealistic. Aside from the absurdity of hiring him to begin with, if they had done that, he'd certainly have learned quite a lot by now and wouldn't be the bumbling coach he is. I think the show will let Beard be the guy who has studied up and now knows what he's doing. He was reading soccer coaching books on the initial flight over.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom