Did Morgan Help UConn By Leaving? | The Boneyard

Did Morgan Help UConn By Leaving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think UConn would obviously be an even better team this year if Morgan Tuck had stayed in Storrs for her last year of eligibility. And there would probably be somewhat less anxiety on the Boneyard about how UConn will defend South Carolina or Baylor if she were on the roster. Still, in practical terms, it's hard to be "better" than undefeated.

But in the long run, in terms of player development, it seems unquestionable (to me) that her departure has hastened the development of several other players, most notably Napheesa and Gabby. They are certainly getting many more minutes than they would have gotten if she had stayed, and they have used that experience to their maximum advantage.

If UConn ends up without an NC this year, I'm sure that some will say that it would have been different if she had stayed, and they might be right. But I prefer to watch the development of these younger players and the chance to see if they can win an NC on their own (whether they are successful or not).

Reaction Score
It's exciting to observe the development of the players this year. But judging whether her leaving helped or not is based on achieving the ultimate goal of this and every season of winning a national championship. Morgan playing this year would certainly make the championship more likely. I'll leave my answer to the end of the NCAA tourney.

Reaction Score
I think UConn would obviously be an even better team this year if Morgan Tuck had stayed in Storrs for her last year of eligibility. And there would probably be somewhat less anxiety on the Boneyard about how UConn will defend South Carolina or Baylor if she were on the roster. Still, in practical terms, it's hard to be "better" than undefeated.

But in the long run, in terms of player development, it seems unquestionable (to me) that her departure has hastened the development of several other players, most notably Napheesa and Gabby. They are certainly getting many more minutes than they would have gotten if she had stayed, and they have used that experience to their maximum advantage.

If UConn ends up without an NC this year, I'm sure that some will say that it would have been different if she had stayed, and they might be right. But I prefer to watch the development of these younger players and the chance to see if they can win an NC on their own (whether they are successful or not).
No Question, your post is correct. Morgan is a great player/Husky and will never be forgotten. That being said, the development of this group shows the greatness of Geno and his staff. With the development of this group and the talented women arriving next year, loses will be hard to find.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You mention the development of Gabby & Napheesa rightfully so because they play the post position Morgan mastered. Morgan leaving has had more of an impact on the other starters IMO. I'm not sure Saniya would be starting and having to step up. I know Kia would not have to "the" vocal leader. KLS would not be taking so many bumps and bruises. Geno had an interesting take on Saniya paraphrased: "some kids just have that personality of I'll be there "if" you need me & are not selfish enough to make you need them."

Reaction Score
After last year's NC when everyone was wondering what Morgan would do, IIRC, Geno said something vague like: "we would certainly welcome her back." I took it to mean that, for her sake, he hoped she would go pro and that he didn't want to put pressure on her to return to UConn. But who knows? Maybe he also was ready to move on, to focus on a new group (despite his recent joking that he agreed to the horrendous OC schedule when he thought that Morgan was returning).

Looking back now, maybe Morgan herself would have wished she had stayed. Maybe she wouldn't have gotten injured, she'd have gotten her MBA and maybe another NC. Maybe, maybe, maybe....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What is very sad is her seeing her playing career cut short, and with little remuneration. She was such a wonderful talent, yet she will likely never make the good money that she could have.

Washington Post has a very revealing article on the top 100 high school football players of the class of 2008. Most of those top-rated players never got near the NFL. They saw injuries, often horrific, cut short their careers, or transferred and never realized their initial promise. Few are living well, and many are either dead, in prison, or selling cars.

Women's basketball is far different. But the fact that physical promise can be snuffed out as fast as a twisted knee is a common link.

I do hope that all of the young women who played for Connecticut are doing well. I wish the best for Morgan Tuck, and for Breanna Stewart, who sustained a bad knee sprain recently.

Geno Auriemma on a radio program recently mentioned that were women's basketball to operate along the lines of men's basketball, Stewart would have left after her freshman season, presumably to make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year when she would have been at UConn. He said that KML would have left after her sophomore season.

We enjoy their exploits, but we should be more interested in seeing them thrive economically.

Reaction Score
As the OP noted we would have been a better team with Morgan but if we win the NC then the answer to the question is , IMO, yes. My sense is that Morgan would have been a crutch for the younger p[layers . She would have been the go to person.However, in her absence the team has out of necessity(and maybe due to their collective personality) come together with an "all for one, one for all" kind of approach. They are playing spectacular up-tempo , team basketball . They have assumed accountability for the UCONN legacy of elite play. Can't help but think that their confidence is extremely high by accomplishing what they have without a four time NC and AA on their team.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Tough question, but I can't imagine having the #3 drafted WNBA player on the roster not making UCONN a better team.
I know, but...I'll go there. This team would be deeper, but would they be better? Probably yes but I'm not sure the starting five would be better or more effective with Tuck.

Reaction Score
I think if Morgan had stayed there would have been a completely different "feel" or motivation to this team. If Morgan stayed, there would have been much more talk and pressure on UCONN to be back in the mix for a NC. This year without Morgan, there was not much talk of them being NC contenders. That gave them a chip on their shoulders, and imo, made them work harder together.

I'm not saying Morgan wouldn't have made this team great too, I'm just saying it would be in a different way.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Lot of "ifs" here. Certainly a "healthy" Tuck would have added much needed depth and post defense to this team, but it would also have dumb the development of Pheesa, Gabby, Nat and perhaps Kia & Saniya.

Keeping Tuck healthy for another season would have been a difficult proposition. Last season, Tuck rested often. As good as she was, she really had very little "lift" around the basket. She got by with tremendous footwork, strength and bball intelligence.

So my question is what if Tuck had come back and played well into the season before being sidelined for the remainder of the season with recurring leg injuries? Pheesa, Gabby & others would not have had the same opportunity to step up against top competition and UConn would not be as good as they are right now, with exactly the same active roster.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If the starting five was composed of Saniya, Napheesa, KLS, Morgan, and Gqbby, I'd take that all the time. But ask me after the South Carolina game. As is, we beat Notre Dame , Maryland, FSU, Texas, Baylor and a number of other ranked teams. The Gamecocks are the toughest test for sure. If we lose and think Morgan makes a difffence, that's another story.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
It's exciting to observe the development of the players this year. But judging whether her leaving helped or not is based on achieving the ultimate goal of this and every season of winning a national championship. Morgan playing this year would certainly make the championship more likely. I'll leave my answer to the end of the NCAA tourney.
I was thinking the same thing but came up with a different conclusion- regardless of whether they win a NC, UConn has been helped as these young women were chalenged and made us all take notice. Is our own definition of "helping UConn" defined solely by whether they win a title this year? Personally, I find the journey more exciting than the destination (I do enjoy the destination!) as the journey requires more time and thought preparation.

Reaction Score
Of course, this is all hypothetical, but my guess is the two whose development would have been less if Tuck had stayed are Gabby (think she ever would have had the triple-double?) and Saniya With Tuck on the team, Saniya would have been the sixth player with fewer important minutes in which to develop.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I've been re-watching games of the last few years
and in many ways find this year's games more satisfying.

I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that although the basic talent is somewhat less obvious;
this year's group have mastered the team-ball concept to an even greater degree than in previous season, as required by the absence of superstars.

And of course Geno and friends have reorganized their coaching dogma to accommodate the roles of such unusual particulars...for example; an undersized combo-point-forward who leads in rebounds and assists.

At its best, this season's teams plays pure, all-in, UConn BB at its finest and most elegant.

I think (win or lose),we will look back on this team with affection, even awe.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I know, but...I'll go there. This team would be deeper, but would they be better? Probably yes but I'm not sure the starting five would be better or more effective with Tuck.
You'd have a very, very hard time convincing me having a 5th year Sr, Captain, returning AA who has played mostly the post (which is probably where we are weakest), in the starting lineup would not be better. :confused:

Reaction Score
If the starting five was composed of Saniya, Napheesa, KLS, Morgan, and Gqbby, I'd take that all the time. But ask me after the South Carolina game. As is, we beat Notre Dame , Maryland, FSU, Texas, Baylor and a number of other ranked teams. The Gamecocks are the toughest test for sure. If we lose and think Morgan makes a difffence, that's another story.
I'm not sure that South Carolina will have been the toughest test. Maryland cranked it up on us and may actually be a better TEAM than South Carolina. I think I'd like Maryland's chances if they were to play USC on a neutral court.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Quite sure we would be better with her, height and depth are two concerns with the current team and she would obviously help in both areas. The team would have a different feel and her presence would affect everyone in one way or another. But in addition to being really, really good, Morgan was one of those players who made the players around her better and no reason to believe she wouldn`t do that with this year`s team.

But msf22b stole my thunder a bit with the post above. I can`t imagine being more excited and enthralled than I am with the gritty group we have now. I am in awe of them.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No Kia in your starting line up? IMO Kia would have been in the starting lineup because she was in the starting lineup for the two years prior. Our toughest game of the season was FSU because FSU was up 7 in the second half, the game was on the road and literally came down to the last shot. If SC plays UCONN that closely at UCONN I would be very surprised.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
These are imponderables, yet we shall ponder.

Isn't it a given that imponderables inexorably lead to pondering?

I think UConn would have been a stronger team if Morgan had stayed and remained healthy, but I'm with JoePgh in his OP: I am enjoying this unexpected ride way more than I have in many years. Gosh I like to see the women win, but I really like seeing them win even more when they are beating expectations.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I love Dawn and I picked preseason that her and Mulkey would fight it out in the final Dance. Nevertheless, after watching this current SC team I sure ain't sceerd. Not one bit.

Reaction Score
The team definitely would have been stronger with Morgan still on it. And I think it is not a given that some of the other players would have developed slower with the leadership and steadiness that Morgan would have brought to practices and games on the court with them daily. Yet I do agree things are a lot of fun the way they are.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You'd have a very, very hard time convincing me having a 5th year Sr, Captain, returning AA who has played mostly the post (which is probably where we are weakest), in the starting lineup would not be better. :confused:
My case is simple. IMO, you need two guards in your starting line-up. And I think right now KLS, Gabby and Collier are all better players than Tuck. And together their whole is greater than the sum of their parts. Morgan is a great player and the more good players you have the better, but she would hold back this starting unit. Her role would be coming off the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom