Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland) | Page 84 | The Boneyard

Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Age verification??

I don't want to be that guy that calls out a 12 year old poster....

Maybe they are just passionate old men who care about getting good players to UConn and losing him to an Under Armour school is BS. Who knows.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Maybe they are just passionate old men who care about getting good players to UConn and losing him to an Under Armour school is BS. Who knows.
That's why I want it -to know.

There are many reports that he can't even qualify at UConn - are they less strict at Maryland on qualifications?? I am not sure.

Also - UConn, in past, has not always been the squeakiest clean program in America - punishment has not fit crimes when caught - careful throwing rocks while living in glass house.

You are right, he was 'lost' to an Under Armor school - and we were third to an Adidas school, who by the way cut ties with Nike due to their use of under age workers in other counties - seems like the right thing to do, no?

Reaction Score
JC and staff had some things we'd all like to forget no doubt. And there's nothing you can do about a kid who can't qualify if true. I could really care less about how Nike makes their great product as I'm guessing they're not the only ones.

I care about us having someone who can help KO close deals because watching all the games the last couple weekends, there are a lot of real good basketball players who other teams "found". We need to "find" some because as of now, we don't have enough to play next year in these same weekends unless there is dramatic improvement from a few.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You are right, he was 'lost' to an Under Armor school - and we were third to an Adidas school, who by the way cut ties with Nike due to their use of under age workers in other counties - seems like the right thing to do, no?

I guess it would be if adidas shoes weren't manufactured in the same factories as Nikes.

I don't mean similar factories, (that's a given), I mean the same exact factories.

The thread finds rock bottom and then employs an excavator to dig deeper.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
I guess it would be if adidas shoes weren't manufactured in the same factories as Nikes.

I don't mean similar factories, (that's a given), I mean the same exact factories.

The thread finds rock bottom and then employs an excavator to dig deeper.
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/532674
Ummm - I guess you know this and wisconsin couldn't figure it out - I didnt dig deeper.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All shoes are made from the same asain suffering Adidas,Nike,UA etc. Its awful but it is what it is.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
All shoes are made from the same asain suffering Adidas,Nike,UA etc. Its awful but it is what it is.
Ummm. My article link is specific to Honduras??

Sorry to have to use facts...

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Okay + Honduras Suffering.
so all shoes are made at the same Honduras factory or same asian factory? Or does this shoe factory you speak of span multiple continents??

Reaction Score
so all shoes are made at the same Honduras factory or same asian factory? Or does this shoe factory you speak of span multiple continents??
They hire subcontractors all over the world . I collect sneakers and one way to tell if they are legit or knockoffs is to look at the tag and read the production date, factory code and place of production. Most Jordans are made in China and Vietnam same with Adidas. It's up to the company to hire these contractors and a lot of the time they use the same ones.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In an interview with the Milwaukee-Wisconsin Journal Sentinel yesterday, Stone disclosed, among other things, that the main reason he chose Maryland was because he felt that they could transform his body. He says he wasn't leaning in any direction prior to a 2.5 hour visit from Turgeon on the day of his announcement, during which Turgeon told him how MD would work with him to transform his body, using Alex Len as an example. Stone also says he got a 20 on the ACT and could have gone to Wisconsin if he wanted to:

Stone announced his decision about one hour after wrapping up a 2½-hour visit with Turgeon, he said. The fourth-year coach and his assistant Bino Ranson came to Milwaukee to meet with Stone face-to-face.

The meeting was impactful. Stone said he wasn't leaning any direction until then.

"He told me what he'd do with me. He'd change my body and I believed him because Alex Len came in a scrawny kid and he turned out to be a man," Stone said referring to the former Terrapins center who plays for the Phoenix Suns. "I felt like he could do that for me. That's the main reason I chose Maryland because I just need my body to transform because I have all the skill sets, I just need my body to transform."

While Stone's decision was hailed by Maryland fans, some Badgers fans weren't as kind or diplomatic. One theme, before and after the announcement, was to assume that Stone did not meet the academic requirements to attend Wisconsin.

"It's just people's opinions. It didn't really get to me," he said. "My guidance counselor emailed my mom and he was like, 'Do you want me to send Diamond's ACT scores out,' so people can just leave me alone, because that wasn't the case.

"I told her people are always going to have something bad to say about you. At least we know the truth. Somebody said I had a 3 on my ACT. How is that possible? I got a 20. I was fine to go to Wisconsin. I just picked Maryland."

Reaction Score
In an interview with the Milwaukee-Wisconsin Journal Sentinel yesterday, Stone disclosed, among other things, that the main reason he chose Maryland was because he felt that they could transform his body. He says he wasn't leaning in any direction prior to a 2.5 hour visit from Turgeon on the day of his announcement, during which Turgeon told him how MD would work with him to transform his body, using Alex Len as an example. Stone also says he got a 20 on the ACT and could have gone to Wisconsin if he wanted to:
Ummmmm right. Also, how does one go from a 7 on the ACT to a 20?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ummmmm right. Also, how does one go from a 7 on the ACT to a 20?
I have no idea. Just reporting what the kid said himself, since to now we've only heard from second and third-hand sources, at best.

I don't pay as much attention to MD and Wisconsin so I can't say whether his body development claim holds water, but I can see how placing a priority on that could work against us. I know we have sent a lot of bigs to the league, but I think the perception of UConn is that we are a guard school, i.e., we are great at developing guards and we have a very good one as our head coach and others on the staff. Before that, we were Wing-U, with a tremendous track record in that respect. We have not been known historically or presently as a place that has developed premier big men. Shot blockers, yes. Marginal NBA guys like Travis, Jake, Josh, etc., yes. Obviously, Emeka was better than that, but he is the exception for us, not the rule.

The bottom line is that, taking the kid at his word, Turgeon came up with the sales pitch that worked.

Reaction Score
I don't think our S&C coach does a great job. Look at our bigs from this past season. Ok Brimah was injured but he could get boxed out in the woman's game. Phil put on weight but it didn't help his strength or explosiveness. Facey stayed about the same. And Rock was only a frosh but he looked way out of shape compared to his high school videos and photos.

Reaction Score
Stone looks mobile, smooth and intelligent within the context of this game. :( Needs to add a bit of strength and then...yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom