Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland) | Page 81 | The Boneyard

Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I believe that it had more to do with him not qualifying to get in Wisconsin. MD being in the same conference which makes easier for family and friends to see him play more. And they have nobody in the middle. Either way he is a Terp now so who gives a .........

Reaction Score
Do we still have a shot at Diallo? Haven't anything on him in forever but he hasn't committed.

Reaction Score
Do we still have a shot at Diallo? Haven't anything on him in forever but he hasn't committed.
He was supposed to be high on Kentucky, ST Johns and another school but not Uconn. But we never know. Deandre Daniels didnt have us and came from nowhere to commit

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

UConn was never involved.

Guessing Kansas and Iowa State will hash it out between them.

Reaction Score
Diamond Stone has a wide set vagina and a heavy flow.
Hahahaha I appreciate the Mean Girls reference.

If Amida has a good summer after not doing anything last summer due to injury, and Enoch is about what we expect, our frontcourt should be ok. We've got 5 bodies down there; actual depth if they can all work during the offseason. Can't stress the importance enough of this summer for 2015-16.

Reaction Score
Was not qualifying at Wisci part of the decision?

A little bit.

My boss is on the Wisco Boosters board. Stone scored a 7 on his first round of ACT's. He took the test three times, finally scored a 17 and they shoe-horned him in. Not sure he was thrilled with the process. Mother wanted him to go to Wisco. Dad wanted him to go to Maryland. I'd imagine the money chose Maryland for him.

Reaction Score
I wish the best for the kid but this really smells fishy if it wasn't going to be us would rather he stayed home

So if he committed to us, that proves that his recruitment was totally legit. But the fact that he committed to Maryland, it's immediately fishy? Let's see. You are planning to play one year and want to maximize your exposure.

Do you play for team A who is coming off a thrilling NIT loss at home, who has been guard dominated for years, and plays in a joke of a conference?

Or team B who is coming off a 28 win year, who plays in arguably the most prestigious of the P5, and also is closely tied to one of the premier apparel companies in the country? Seems like a no brainer to me.

We all assume that players care about the past, but for most, it is all about that one year of exposure to expedite their pay check.

caw

Reaction Score
So if he committed to us, that proves that his recruitment was totally legit. But the fact that he committed to Maryland, it's immediately fishy? Let's see. You are planning to play one year and want to maximize your exposure.

Do you play for team A who is coming off a thrilling NIT loss at home, who has been guard dominated for years, and plays in a joke of a conference?

Or team B who is coming off a 28 win year, who plays in arguably the most prestigious of the P5, and also is closely tied to one of the premier apparel companies in the country? Seems like a no brainer to me.

We all assume that players care about the past, but for most, it is all about that one year of exposure to expedite their pay check.

Well you are missing a few other things but the biggest:

Or team C who has been to a final four last year and at least an Elite Eight this year, in the same conference as team B. Not to mention its your hometown team with a very highly regarded coach who is a close friend of your fathers. Also, they have proven in their last two runs to feature one of the top bigs in college that they will get you the ball in the post.

Reaction Score

Or team C who has been to a final four last year and at least an Elite Eight this year, in the same conference as team B. Not to mention its your hometown team with a very highly regarded coach who is a close friend of your fathers. Also, they have proven in their last two runs to feature one of the top bigs in college that they will get you the ball in the post.

Agreed. Was trying to address the "it makes no sense to leave the state and not choose us crowd." I don't think anyone would have an issue if stone committed to Wisc. We have to face facts that we are just not a very appealing option right now. Mediocre season, hideous conference, perhaps poor recruiters in general. We went from seemingly clear cut faves to an afterthought. Did we stop recruiting all together or did our negatives simply reign supreme?

Reaction Score
The bottom line after all the complaining, rumor making, player put downs, etc. is that we got out recruited again or a top recruit didn't pick us out of a final 3/5.

If recruiting was a paid position at UConn based on performance here that person would be given a "needs improvement" rating in multiple categories.

C

Chief00

I have always thought he wasn't going to WI. We were his other option then it became MD. He was always going to that other option.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Let's face the facts. How many highly rated big men recruits have we gotten? Bynum (can't count because he never player here)?? Drummond?? And?? We are seen as a guard oriented program who develops decent centers who go on to fail in the NBA. Not very attractive to top talent.

Reaction Score
UCweCONN said:
Let's face the facts. How many highly rated big men recruits have we gotten? Bynum (can't count because he never player here)?? Drummond?? And?? We are seen as a guard oriented program who develops decent centers who go on to fail in the NBA. Not very attractive to top talent.

Decent centers that fail in the NBA? Huh?

How about projects that then make it to the NBA, get wealthy but don't have great pro careers?

Reaction Score

D you remember when you went to college? Did you say "I want to stay as close to home as possible, so that mommy and daddy can drop in on me at any time?" To me it was a no brainier for him to go to Wisconsin but he can go to a place with a warmer climate and still get all the exposure he wants, which by the way was probably the reason we didn't get him! I bet with all things being equal with us in a P5, we get him 9 out of 10 even in cold Storrs. From what's been reported he liked KO that much. This is not a coaching staff recruiting failure.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
wonder how long before someone gets a job out of this

"Funkhouser, post: 1129146, member: 5400"]Just posted to a UW message board from a guy who's pretty connected to the upper midwest recruiting scene:
-----
A respected east coast recruiting analyst told me this weekend that Maryland is offering Diamond Stone's dad a job at Under Armour if Diamond commits.
-----

Reaction Score
The weather in MD isn't much of an advantage. That's a stretch.
8 degrees or more makes a difference in winter, they don't get much snow. What about the rest?

Reaction Score
jibsey said:
8 degrees or more makes a difference in winter, they don't get much snow. What about the rest?

Madison, Wisconsin is an amazing college town. The kid is from Wisconsin and is coveted by their fans. Yet, he chose Maryland, which is a decent basketball school in an ok environment. Yes, it is warmer in Maryland, but nicer? No.

This isn't Arizona or Florida weather, this is Maryland weather. Maryland is cold, gray and damp or hot, hazy and sticky most of the time. This is an UnderArmor/AAU related deal. It has nothing to do with weather or Wisconsin. I've lived in Florida for years and I'd choose Wisconsin over Maryland 8 days per week unless there was obvious reason not to. However, Maryland doesn't have a great history, great weather or a legendary coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom