Development of incoming freshman | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Development of incoming freshman

Reaction Score
Yeah that's true, but my main point was the rotation is a solid 7. Megan and Z are works in progress, but it's not like they are terrible and can't be used. I would hate to lose Gabby or Collier, but we could survive.

how solid that seven really is seems to change on a daily basis which is not unusual for two players in their first season (Z's first season in game situations)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I tend to agree. Maybe Crystal was a little better than Meg, but I think they are fairly similar. As I’m sitting in Clint Eastwood’s restaurant in Carmel-by-the-Sea, I want to paraphrase another tough guy, Jack Palance: “Season ain’t over yet.”

I have stated on this board multiple times that imho, Crystal's freshman season was generally better than MW's as of this moment. I think any fair comparison must include the position they play. Crystal as a true point guard had more responsibility and it is far easier to understand how her freshman season would have ups and downs and how she could be overwhelmed at times. The sheer mental growth needed to be the leader of the team is daunting. Also, since she is undersized, she needed to deal far more with figuring out ways to compete physically and get her shot off etc. Clearly, this motivated her in the off season to get her self so physically strong and to work on increasing the range and consistency of her three point shot well beyond the line to compensate for size. MW has none of these issues except perhaps her own expectations as a #1. Physically as gifted as anyone, her position as of now basically involves intensity, rebounding, defense, fast break baskets and the occasional open 3 etc. I think she is gradually getting better and I hope she will have a significiant impact in the Tournament but as of now, she needs to improve her mindset to attack as if she is the best player on the court and her consistency. It will come but it is not here yet.

Reaction Score
Here's a scenario:
National Title game, game tied, 5 minutes to go in the 4th: Gabby is out because of her hip, Phesse has fouled out.
Geno's Choices:
A) Play 4 players
B) Molly Bent
C) Kyla Irwin
D) Megan Walker

Bet he wished he did a better job to prepare for this, what would you do?
I wouldn't know how to answer such an open ended question....wouldn't it depend on match ups? Is the opposing player a slow 6'3" forward or a quick 5'11" wing? I have no doubts that all of the players are drilled on playing specific positional roles so success would really come down to subs making the right choices on the floor and to some degree skill level...
So you guys assume he does not prepare for these type of scenarios in practice?
You think he only plays the starters together all the time in practice and does not mix in other players?? Really??
You guys think Geno is clueless. Head bang

Reaction Score
You think he only plays the starters together all the time in practice and does not mix in other players?? Really??
I heard Geno has two books upon which he relies: Coaching Basketball for Dummies, and Learn Basketball in 21 Days. This may or may not be true.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Here's a scenario:
National Title game, game tied, 5 minutes to go in the 4th: Gabby is out because of her hip, Phesse has fouled out.
Geno's Choices:
A) Play 4 players
B) Molly Bent
C) Kyla Irwin
D) Megan Walker

1) how often are they ever in that kind of scenario? Usually it's NC game, 5 minutes to play in the 4th, UCONN up by 17-23. The question is usually when does he put in the walk-on. And you get to that point by preparation. Lot's of it.

2) However if your scenario would ever present itself; Dangerfield, Nurse, Samuelson, Walker, Stevens? I'd like our chances.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Here's a scenario:
Geno's Choices:
A) Play 4 players
B) Molly Bent
C) Kyla Irwin
D) Megan Walker

My choice would be someone like Brianna Pulido, she was unstoppable off the bench in the NC. So based on history it would be Molly Bent!

Reaction Score

I'm not sure what part of this statement would make you believe that I think Geno is clueless?

" I have no doubts that all of the players are drilled on playing specific positional roles so success would really come down to subs making the right choices on the floor and to some degree skill level..."

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Here's a scenario:
Geno's Choices:
A) Play 4 players
B) Molly Bent
C) Kyla Irwin
D) Megan Walker

Is Gabby in a wheelchair? If not, well....

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what part of this statement would make you believe that I think Geno is clueless?

" I have no doubts that all of the players are drilled on playing specific positional roles so success would really come down to subs making the right choices on the floor and to some degree skill level..."
Clueless was directed more to my2cents and other posters

Reaction Score
OR MAYBE, Geno acts like other big time college coaches and if he does not like a Freshman he treats her like Rat Feces until she quits unexpectedly, with no time to properly transfer out to another program and then she has to sit out for a year and one half.
In addition, unlike other big time college coaches, he goes on a vino fueled tirade, that is put on You Tube, berating the young lady he beat out to his program and also running down other fellow coaches and their programs.
If most any other coach was caught on video with his foot in his mouth like that he or she would be beaten up by the national media.
However, our boy Geno acts like a gaffone and nothing happens, people on this site even praise him for his honesty. What a joke!!!!!

Reaction Score
You don't have to participate on this site if we bother you so much. Honesty can be refreshing....versus the rumor mill.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
true but sometimes, especially with really good players that sink or swim approach works.....Baylor has 10 players on their roster including three freshman guards....not sure if anybody is injured.....Morris is already good and she's going to get better....Richards gets some playing time too...I understand Geno's methods regarding freshmen but it comes at a cost to his starters......only time will tell how costly this policy will be

FYI only - Baylor has 2 injuries - 8 players available. 1 is out for the season; the other will not be back until the Tourney.

Reaction Score
Has Geno EVER lost a freshman or sophomore to transfer because she didn't like his decisions about playing time?

I certainly acknowledge that there are players who transferred because they recognized that they would never get the playing time that they hoped for (because other UConn players were better): Courtney Ekmark, Lauren Engeln, and Michala Johnson for example. But those players all transferred after their sophomore year, after they gave it everything they had and were forced to acknowledge that other players on the team were better (or at least the coaching staff considered them better) and would continue to get more playing time than they would.

But if there has ever been a freshman or sophomore who transferred because Geno didn't give her enough minutes because she didn't meet his expectations in practice or in the few game minutes that she got, I am not aware of it. From what little information we have, neither Sadie Edwards nor AEH fit into that category.

And there have certainly been those who got the "pine treatment" as freshmen, and who later got their act together to make major contributions: Gabby Williams and Mel Thomas, for example.

I assume the OP has seen Geno's comments on this specific subject: "If they learn as freshmen that they will get minutes even if they ignore instructions, then there is no coaching them when they get to be juniors and seniors." Quite a bit of truth in that, I suspect.
Elena Delledon?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Elena Delledon?
Are you saying that EDD left because Geno was mean to her as a freshmen, or that he benched her or didn't give her enough playing time????

Reaction Score
FYI only - Baylor has 2 injuries - 8 players available. 1 is out for the season; the other will not be back until the Tourney.

do you think any of the freshmen would be getting playing time if there were no injuries? I don't no Mulkey's philosophy regrding freshmen or if she even has one............

Reaction Score
how solid that seven really is seems to change on a daily basis which is not unusual for two players in their first season (Z's first season in game situations)
Game ready growth takes time when meshing with an established 4 or 5. Walker, a bit less with Azura, is learning the "chemistry" of those already established. That's not easy, but with more and more game time (as Geno now is doing) with the core 5, you will see success for them sooner rather than next year (but then too).

Reaction Score
Are you saying that EDD left because Geno was mean to her as a freshmen, or that he benched her or didn't give her enough playing time????
JoePgh---it is obvious that EDD left on her second day on campus because she was not getting sufficient Game PT cuz that MEANY mean Geno said something like: In November you may not get the PT you want!! Just plain mean.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
do you think any of the freshmen would be getting playing time if there were no injuries? I don't no Mulkey's philosophy regrding freshmen or if she even has one..

Two freshman (Alexis Morris and Didi Richards) have played in just about all the games, even prior to the injuries. Morris is usually the first off the bench, with Richards following close behind. The injuries have definitely provided more playing time for these two, however, with a short roster of 10, Mulkey knew she would be playing some of her freshman. Has other freshman in the past played on Mulkey's team? Yes - if you can play defense, she will play you.

Reaction Score
Two freshman (Alexis Morris and Didi Richards) have played in just about all the games, even prior to the injuries. Morris is usually the first off the bench, with Richards following close behind. The injuries have definitely provided more playing time for these two, however, with a short roster of 10, Mulkey knew she would be playing some of her freshman. Has other freshman in the past played on Mulkey's team? Yes - if you can play defense, she will play you.

well we're finally seeing Geno give a few more minutes to MW and I don't know if it's because of improved play or out of necessity or both............either way I'm glad he is doing it and I hope she rewards him with some consistently good performances going forward..................

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
well we're finally seeing Geno give a few more minutes to MW and I don't know if it's because of improved play or out of necessity or both..either way I'm glad he is doing it and I hope she rewards him with some consistently good performances going forward...

It's definitely time to give MW more minutes as the season is long and tiring. The starters are fatigued and need a break when possible. We know tourney time will be fast and furious with back to back good games. MW needs to be ready and prepared for any injury or "bad day" that one of the girls are having. The best is yet to come....

Baylor will be in the same predicament next year, as they lose 2 seniors and gain 5 Freshman, and 1 medical red shirt freshman (from injury). Some of those freshman will need to play. I'm looking forward to the UConn/Baylor game next year. It should be a good game!

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
JoePgh---it is obvious that EDD left on her second day on campus because she was not getting sufficient Game PT cuz that MEANY mean Geno said something like: In November you may not get the PT you want!! Just plain mean.
And after MEANY mean Geno said that, he benched her!
Remember that? Cause I remember that a lot of the BYers were up in arms over it, saying that she deserves more minutes!!!
images

Reaction Score
And after MEANY mean Geno said that, he benched her!
Remember that? Cause I remember that a lot of the BYers were up in arms over it, saying that she deserves more minutes!!!
images
Worst part: Geno cut her PT ---in Delaware!! Honest injun! Would I lie?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom