Details on Ollie's firing | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Details on Ollie's firing

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The really big part of the story that people are missing: how were these violations reported?

Because it sure sounds like UConn committed violations, just like any other program, and then decided whether it would be financially convenient to report them. And that would be really bad.
I have that same question. I want to know the chronology/timeline. People are assuming the NCAA investigated and this stuff came out; I am wondering whether we self-reported this stuff after digging it up ourselves, for the precise reason of using it as just cause.

Or maybe some of it came out in an exit interview with Miller? Or Benedict at least knew it was there for the getting?

Reaction Score
I have that same question. I want to know the chronology/timeline. People are assuming the NCAA investigated and this stuff came out; I am wondering whether we self-reported this stuff after digging it up ourselves, for the precise reason of using it as just cause.

Or maybe some of it came out in an exit interview with Miller? Or Benedict at least knew it was there for the getting?
Could have been Miller, but we don't know. UConn didn't have to use Miller, they could have self-reported had they known and been planning on firing Ollie all along.
From January...
"UConn said it conducted its own “NCAA-mandated internal review” after the revealing of the FBI’s investigation and indictments involving a bribery scandal. However, this inquiry is unrelated and was not self-reported by UConn as a result of that scandal or the internal review, but rather reported to the NCAA from an external source."
NCAA Investigating UConn Men's Basketball Program; Inquiry Includes Recruitment Of At Least Three Players

Reaction Score

Self-reported violation that was already in the public domain in one (or two) instance(s):

>>Ollie himself shot baskets with a potential recruit while the unnamed recruit was on an official visit. A portion of that shoot around was videotaped by the player’s aunt, which was then published by the Hartford Courant, which is how Benedict learned of the incident. Ollie didn’t deny that he participated in the shoot around but claimed it was limited in scope. The university self-reported the incident to the NCAA. In September, guard James Akinjo from California was on an official visit, and he and Ollie stopped to shoot baskets together in the Werth Family Center. Akinjo’s guardian took video of it and posted it on Twitter, which The Courant noted in a story after Akinjo committed to UConn. The video was later taken down from Twitter.<<

Since UConn as no external enemies, I'm sure no one would have sent the clip/story to the NCAA anyways;)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Self-reported violation that was already in the public domain in one (or two) instance(s):

>>Ollie himself shot baskets with a potential recruit while the unnamed recruit was on an official visit. A portion of that shoot around was videotaped by the player’s aunt, which was then published by the Hartford Courant, which is how Benedict learned of the incident. Ollie didn’t deny that he participated in the shoot around but claimed it was limited in scope. The university self-reported the incident to the NCAA. In September, guard James Akinjo from California was on an official visit, and he and Ollie stopped to shoot baskets together in the Werth Family Center. Akinjo’s guardian took video of it and posted it on Twitter, which The Courant noted in a story after Akinjo committed to UConn. The video was later taken down from Twitter.<<
Can't believe he wasn't fired on the spot.

Reaction Score
We can debate all we want about how bad the violations are, but the crux of this matter is captured here in this paragraph of the story.

As the documents were released, Michael Bailey, director of the UConn chapter of the American Association of University Professors, issued a statement, accusing UConn of a “double standard,” because it did not terminate other coaches, including Jim Calhoun, for NCAA violations in the past.

If I was a betting man, I would bet that Ollie wins this thing in a court with this argument.

KO's contract has nothing to do with how the university treated JC.

KO violated his contract, therefore he doesn't get paid.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Lesson - if you’re going to half-ass a gig that pays you $3.5M a year, make sure you don’t half-ass a few violations as well.
The arbitrator's decision will determine whether this is a bankable lesson, unless the parties settle.

Reaction Score
If I was a betting man, I would bet that Ollie wins this thing in a court with this argument.
Arbitration next, no? Settlement first? Court, based on that argument, fired coach Ollie's actual contractual language, publicly disclosed information at this point, etc? ;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We can debate all we want about how bad the violations are, but the crux of this matter is captured here in this paragraph of the story.

As the documents were released, Michael Bailey, director of the UConn chapter of the American Association of University Professors, issued a statement, accusing UConn of a “double standard,” because it did not terminate other coaches, including Jim Calhoun, for NCAA violations in the past.

It's a good thing you aren't a betting man then.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ollie himself shot baskets with a potential recruit while the unnamed recruit was on an official visit.
So help me out? Why is this an issue. Impermissible benefit because he doesn't shoot them with every student?

Reaction Score

I would be shocked if that was not the case.

Now, "digging it up" might be a bit hollywood. I don't think Benedict was searching through Ollie's filing cabinets in the middle of the night and I'd be surprised if his conscience allowed him to willingly screw somebody he thought was doing everything the right way. But problematic conflict of interest? Oh yes.

Reaction Score
It's a good thing you aren't a betting man then.
Well, we really don't have debate our betting abilities I guess. We will know for a "fact" the strength of this and other arguments both parties are making in court or in case UConn settles and pays KO.

Reaction Score
I am not a fan of Herbst but she is not an idiot. I am certain they tried to negotiate with Ollie. No way would they risk having to go down this road. KO killed our program or, at the very least, critically wounded it. I am not sure if it will recover.

TJT

Reaction Score
Glenn Miller ratted out Ollie and KO is threatening to rat out Calhoun and Geno. Could get even nastier.

Reaction Score
So help me out? Why is this an issue. Impermissible benefit because he doesn't shoot them with every student?

>>Hearst Connecticut Media acquired emails and other documentation regarding recent secondary violations committed by UConn. In one, Ollie shot a few baskets, while in street clothes on the way to lunch, with a recruit on an official visit Sept. 8-10, 2017, inside the Werth Family Champions Center. The recruit, whose name was redacted from the document, was Akinjo. His aunt posted video of Ollie shooting baskets with Akinjo, and it was ruled non-permissable by UConn’s compliance department since high school season had not concluded and the recruit hadn’t received proper medical clearance.<<

Reaction Score
Did Calhoun have a clause in his contract that specifically stated there was a zero-tolerance policy in place for any NCAA violations?

If not, throw that argument out of the window because there is no double-standard. There was a standard that Ollie had to meet, and he didn't.
Here is what the Ollieistas don’t get. If you sign a contract that says you will not do x or we can void the contract, then you do x, how we enforce is t up to you. We can void the contract. We can totally ignore the breach or we can come to you and negotiate a settlement somewhere less than voiding the agreement. And it really doesn’t matter what we did in other cases. Indeed 2 things changed since Calhoun left. First the NCAA changed the rule such that head coaches are responsible for their programs. Second UConn was severely penalized for violations. Thus it is reasonable that UConn would hold Ollie to a hire standard than it had held other coaches who committed violations in the past.

I get it. There are s few remaining holdouts who deep down hope that somehow Ollie magically reappears on the bench for the opener. They will never accept that he should have been fired. (Hi 99 and stairs). But there is no question he broke the rules.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom