Derek Jeter going on a Farewell Tour | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Derek Jeter going on a Farewell Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Players used to stay and play for one team because they didn't have a choice. Now they go where they think the opportunities are best for them. Not surprisingly, when you come up with a team that pays more than anyone else a player doesn't need to leave. Jeter made no sacrifices in that regard.

As for his abilities, I said he was a tremendous player and he is certainly a hall-of-famer. I also said he was over-rated in the field. You essentially agreed - his promotion is as a defensive player that is far more than sure-handed, adequate and "steady/solid." He was even kept at SS even when the team acquired a player with(in those days anyway) far better range.

But Yankee fans have deified Jeter far beyond being a great baseball player. He's portrayed as some sort of special human with unique leadership skills and there really is little objective evidence to support it. Despite having virtually a hand-picked roster with massive payroll advantages, three other teams (Boston, St. Louis and SF) have won more titles during the Jeter captaincy.

Lastly, if you think Pedroia gets close to the same attention or respect, at home or nationally, as Jeter you really don't have a clue. Pedroia is certainly very popular, but Jeter is treated with almost reverent status . Part of it has to do with the "pink hats" tracking the tall, handsome Jeter's every move (not many cared about the short, stumpy, bearded Pedroia's personal life even when he was single) and part of it is that he is probably one level behind as a player. Jeter is a clear HoF player and Pedroia is still a marginal candidate at this point in his career. The last component to the Jeter PR engine, however, is the promotion of Jeter as the ultimate team leader and player. Oddly enough, Pedroia will probably only be an overwhelming HoF candidate if he proves to be the special leader Yankee fans imagine Jeter to be and leads the Red Sox to at least one and probably two more championships.

You are a diluted Sox fan……really you are. 'Nuff said……it's funny though you can see right through the post and figure that one out. "The Yankee fans" stuff from the likes of you is so obvious and ignorant it's laughable….like we're all the same. Check that mirror, this tells the tale!;)

Reaction Score
You are a diluted Sox fan……really you are. 'Nuff said……it's funny though you can see right through the post and figure that one out. "The Yankee fans" stuff from the likes of you is so obvious and ignorant it's laughable….like we're all the same. Check that mirror, this tells the tale!;)

Yes, Yankee fans. They are not all the same but they do have an aggregate perception just as you can say things like "Sox fans GUSH all over Pedey." Apparently you think you can draw overall perceptions but others can't. So much for self-awareness.

As for my being "diluted", with what? I'm already primarily made of water.

Reaction Score
kibbles, I quit. You're a "hater" and it's simple to see.

"Aggregate perception" is your way of saying they're all the same….we're not at all…I have been a Yankee fan for 45 years plus, I like the guys who come through the system I don't gush over them. I know Jeter is a HOFer some because he played with great teams and some because he just had a long, illustrious career. Those, like you, who to seem to want to take away from that in any way possible have their right to their thoughts on his career. I'm okay with that, he's certainly not close to any of the greatest of all time. "Payroll, special leader" crap……he's a great baseball player who donned the pinstripes for 19 years, how many times can I say it? .312 average and solid person off the field which in this day and age is tough…….people, fans can "gush" if they want, kids should he's Derek Jeter. I just like the guy a lot because he was my very good SS for a lot of years and was one of the catalysts for a ring every 4 years or so while here, nothing more, nothing less…..it's his last year, let his "Yankee" fans have fun with it who cares, is it hurting you?

Stiffs like you that find a reason to want to take that away are really just ignorant! There's not much of this left in baseball, 19 years-same team, sit back and enjoy!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hey Sox fans GUSH all over Pedey…….he has 1 200 hit season and 0 100RBI seasons……..and he hits 3rd!!;);)……oh I forgot he's a leader because he hustles and dives so much!! His MVP season wasn't as good as 2-3 of Jeters seasons……but if he stays 19 years you can imagine right, the huge circle jerk in Boston?

Funny stuff…….

Pedroia played with a busted thumb most of the year while you were gushing about a dog. Now that's funny.

Reaction Score
Is it allowable to like and respect Jeter but detest the retirement tour marketing bs?

Reaction Score
kibbles, I quit. You're a "hater" and it's simple to see.

"Aggregate perception" is your way of saying they're all the same….we're not at all…I have been a Yankee fan for 45 years plus, I like the guys who come through the system I don't gush over them. I know Jeter is a HOFer some because he played with great teams and some because he just had a long, illustrious career. Those, like you, who to seem to want to take away from that in any way possible have their right to their thoughts on his career. I'm okay with that, he's certainly not close to any of the greatest of all time. "Payroll, special leader" crap……he's a great baseball player who donned the pinstripes for 19 years, how many times can I say it? .312 average and solid person off the field which in this day and age is tough…….people, fans can "gush" if they want, kids should he's Derek Jeter. I just like the guy a lot because he was my very good SS for a lot of years and was one of the catalysts for a ring every 4 years or so while here, nothing more, nothing less…..it's his last year, let his "Yankee" fans have fun with it who cares, is it hurting you?

Stiffs like you that find a reason to want to take that away are really just ignorant! There's not much of this left in baseball, 19 years-same team, sit back and enjoy!

The funny thing is that your description of him as a ballplayer is essentially the same as mine. I said he was a tremendous player and sure Hall of Famer, albeit we both acknowledged that his defense is more in the solid/reliable category than outstanding. Absent some shocking revelation in the next six years, I think he's an overwhelming favorite to get in on the first HoF ballot. However, since I question some of the great leader, intangibles (Google "Jeter" and "intangibles" to find literally millions of references and hundreds of current news pieces) PR frosting that you claim to not even care about, I am a "hater." It appears you care far more than you let on about the off the field perception.

BTW: He was not a catalyst for a ring "every 4 years or so", which implies a regular pattern of championship excellence. He was a young star on an outstanding team with great veteran leadership (O'Neill, Williams and Martinez come to mind first) that produced 4 championships in 5 years early in his career. Since then, when he took over the veteran leadership role, they've won once.

Reaction Score
Is it allowable to like and respect Jeter but detest the retirement tour marketing bs?
Absolutely. The circus will not come from him. We live in a world with talking heads on ESPN, YES, etc. who need something to go on and on about. It's all hype/marketing 24/7. His press conference today was remarkably low key, just as he's always been.

Amazing fact from the NY Times today - Jeter has played in 2,602 games and only one of them came with the team eliminated from playoff contention.

Reaction Score
The funny thing is that your description of him as a ballplayer is essentially the same as mine. I said he was a tremendous player and sure Hall of Famer, albeit we both acknowledged that his defense is more in the solid/reliable category than outstanding. Absent some shocking revelation in the next six years, I think he's an overwhelming favorite to get in on the first HoF ballot. However, since I question some of the great leader, intangibles (Google "Jeter" and "intangibles" to find literally millions of references and hundreds of current news pieces) PR frosting that you claim to not even care about, I am a "hater." It appears you care far more than you let on about the off the field perception.

BTW: He was not a catalyst for a ring "every 4 years or so", which implies a regular pattern of championship excellence. He was a young star on an outstanding team with great veteran leadership (O'Neill, Williams and Martinez come to mind first) that produced 4 championships in 5 years early in his career. Since then, when he took over the veteran leadership role, they've won once.

and when Tom Brady took over the leadership role of the Patriots they have yet to win one Super Bowl, no one ever said Jeter is perfect, you can nitpick anyones career.

Reaction Score
Brady? Pedroia? What is it with you guys? Rather than address the actual comments you throw in stuff about unrelated players - one in a completely different sport with different dynamics. It's like a fifth grader responding, "oh yeah, well your father is bald" - and just about as meaningful to the issue at hand.

BTW, Your comment is false. By the 2004 and 2005 Super Bowl victories Brady was unquestionably a team leader (and the unquestioned leader on offense). That's partly the different role of a QB from anything in baseball, but he was also been a captain since 2002. If you want to argue that's comparable to Jeter, fine, but at least be accurate.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Brady? Pedroia? What is it with you guys? Rather than address the actual comments you throw in stuff about unrelated players - one in a completely different sport with different dynamics. It's like a fifth grader responding, "oh yeah, well your father is bald" - and just about as meaningful to the issue at hand.

BTW, Your comment is false. By the 2003 and 2004 Super Bowl victories Brady was unquestionably a team leader. That's partly the different role of a QB from anything in baseball, but he was also been a captain since 2002. If you want to argue that's comparable to Jeter, fine, but at least be accurate.

Just playing your game you can't have it both ways, if Jeter is overrated then so is Brady.

Reaction Score
So what? Have fun making your case. It won't hurt my feelings and I won't take it personally.

Reaction Score
So what? Have fun making your case. It won't hurt my feelings and I won't take it personally.

Just having conversation, we all have our own opinions, just don't let it overtake your conversation. We can have a discussion about any athlete in history and nitpick him and say he didn't win this year or that year, or without this guy etc.

Reaction Score
Actually they all suck!! We all could have been as good as Jeter or Brady we chose a different direction……..:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom