Derek Jeter going on a Farewell Tour | The Boneyard

Derek Jeter going on a Farewell Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Derek Jeter will hang up the spikes after this coming World Championship season.

“And the thing is, I could not be more sure. I know it in my heart. The 2014 season will be my last year playing professional baseball.”

Derek Jeter

Reaction Score
Mo's retirement hurt, but this will hurt more. The final tie to that incredible Yankee run through the late 90's. I hope his 2014 season is injury-free and that, like Mo, he can go out still looking like the player we remembered. Great Yankee.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
After Chipper & Rivera, I'm kinda sick of farewell tours.

And the conspiracy theorist in me thinks Facebook paid him to make the announcement there. I hope it's not a trend.

Reaction Score
Looks like Yankee fans will be even more full of Number 2 this year.

You wish you had some Sox guys who anything remotely close to Mo and Jeter's careers….you haven't ….NONE

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Looks like Yankee fans will be even more full of Number 2 this year.
May you wake up someday and get kicked by a racehorse.

Reaction Score
I'm so anti-retirement tour. What a grandstanding, self righteous move by any player. Okay, Derek. Here's the season long blowjob from every Game of the Week announcer in the business.

Reaction Score
Derek Jeter will hang up the spikes after this coming World Championship season.

“And the thing is, I could not be more sure. I know it in my heart. The 2014 season will be my last year playing professional baseball.”

Derek Jeter
Jeter has had to deal with injuries the past few years so his retirement doesn't surprise me. There comes a point as players age when just don't want to deal with injuries anymore. It sounds like Jeter is at that point.
Good luck to him. Jeter conducted himself with class and always seemed to say the right thing. Next stop: HOF.
I wonder if the Yankees will go after Steven Drew now. He isn't anything close to Jeter but he would be a solid SS for them especially as the injuries add up for Jeter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jeter has had to deal with injuries the past few years so his retirement doesn't surprise me. There comes a point as players age when just don't want to deal with injuries anymore. It sounds like Jeter is at that point.

I'm sure that Rivera gone combined with finishing 12 games back last year and the money they have sunk into bad contracts has nothing to do with it.

Reaction Score
I'm sure that Rivera gone combined with finishing 12 games back last year and the money they have sunk into bad contracts has nothing to do with it.

Come on, Deepster. Jeter has always been super confident, and I doubt he's quitting because he thinks NY can't win again. Mo and Andy leaving, I'm sure, affected him, but probably not as much as Posada, his closest friend. Much more likely he's feeling his age. 2013 was flat out terrible. I think Jeter probably once thought about 4,000 hits. But last year ended that long-shot. He's an astute baseball fan, and I'm sure he doesn't want to go out like Mantle, hanging on while his career average dips below .300.

I'd guess that he probably doesn't like the "retirement tours" any more than you. But as I mentioned in the other thread, what should he have done? He knew he was done. And if he hadn't said anything, he would have been pestered about it all year long anyway.

Reaction Score
I'd guess that he probably doesn't like the "retirement tours" any more than you. But as I mentioned in the other thread, what should he have done? He knew he was done. And if he hadn't said anything, he would have been pestered about it all year long anyway.

If he doesn't like retirement tours, then why is he having one?

What should he have done? Played out the year, fielded the questions (as he has the last couple years) and left in a quieter fashion like 99% of the league does.

Reaction Score

What should he have done? Played out the year, fielded the questions (as he has the last couple years) and left in a quieter fashion like 99% of the league does.
He owes it to the teams that want to honor him to have a retirement tour. I doubt any of the players who get one really enjoy it very much outside of the applause they get when they take the field.

Reaction Score

So the Yankees can make a bunch of dough and begin planning for their SS in 2015??? Maybe………..huh?

Reaction Score
So the Yankees can make a bunch of dough and begin planning for their SS in 2015??? Maybe………..huh?
He is leaving the way he should leave giving the Yankees a full season to plan and replace him.

Reaction Score
If you followed Jeter's career, its clear he's not comfortable in the individual spotlight. Although he is unfailingly polite and available to writers, he almost never says anything beyond perfunctory responses. He's the opposite of the guys who seek out headlines.

Reaction Score
He owes it to the teams that want to honor him to have a retirement tour. I doubt any of the players who get one really enjoy it very much outside of the applause they get when they take the field.

He owes it to teams that want to honor him?!?! What a crock of that is. I'm sure the brass in Kansas City are dying to honor Derek Jeter.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I think this is a swing and a miss, Danzz. I do feel, however, that it's the Yankees orchestrating the tour, not Jeter. I feel announcing now is the right thing so that the Yanks can plan the future. And after the Mo Farewell there was no way in hell the Yanks were letting Jeter not get one. He is in a no-win situation regarding this Tour.

Reaction Score

Yeah that will work out well in NY, ask Tiki Barber how well that worked out for him. If you know your intentions why not say what they are. How many guys play past 40? The rumors would leak out during the season, so why not just be upfront about it. This is 2014 you can't get away without being honest anymore, in todays media especially in NY.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He owes it to teams that want to honor him?!?! What a crock of that is. I'm sure the brass in Kansas City are dying to honor Derek Jeter.

No kidding. Jeter is yesterday's news. He should just quit now and save us all the BS. I remember when the Yankeees used to be about winning.

Reaction Score
I'm sure the brass in Kansas City are dying to honor Derek Jeter.

They may not care about honoring him, but considering the prevalence of bobbleheads, Frisbees and other teams give away to attract fans, they'll happily use his "farewell" as a chance to sell tickets.

Reaction Score
No kidding. Jeter is yesterday's news. He should just quit now and save us all the BS. I remember when the Yankeees used to be about winning.

here's the difference Waq…..jeter goes to fenway for the last visit there, packed, tickets going for bookah dollars…………papi retires, last game at Jankee Stadium and there will be 30K there……..

One is a baseball player the other besbol player…...

Reaction Score
Yankee fans over the top love for Jeter has always baffled me. After the real heart and soul of the Yankees teams of the '90s (O'Neill, Williams, Martinez, etc.) retired and the leadership mantle was turned over to Jeter, his fabled intangibles have led the team that for most years dwarfed others in payroll to a whopping one World Series championship. He was certainly a tremendous player (although definitely over-rated as a fielder) with some great on-field instincts, but there really isn't much evidence to support his being a great leader. Yet the farewell tour will be loaded with gushing comments about "the captain" rather than "one of the great shortstops"........... It's one of the reasons, beyond the fact that Sterling and Waldman are arguably the worst announcing duo in baseball, that I can't listen to the Yankees on the radio anymore.

Reaction Score
Yankee fans over the top love for Jeter has always baffled me. After the real heart and soul of the Yankees teams of the '90s (O'Neill, Williams, Martinez, etc.) retired and the leadership mantle was turned over to Jeter, his fabled intangibles have led the team that for most years dwarfed others in payroll to a whopping one World Series championship. He was certainly a tremendous player (although definitely over-rated as a fielder) with some great on-field instincts, but there really isn't much evidence to support his being a great leader. Yet the farewell tour will be loaded with gushing comments about "the captain" rather than "one of the great shortstops"...... It's one of the reasons, beyond the fact that Sterling and Waldman are arguably the worst announcing duo in baseball, that I can't listen to the Yankees on the radio anymore.
;)

Yeah it's gushing?? How about the fact he played for the same team for 19 years, does that count anymore in this free agent soaked game of baseball……problem is most don't get it because they don't have the bernie's, gorge's, Mo's and Derek's……..it's really that simple. As a 54 year old, when i grew up guys stayed and played for their teams now they play for money……..he obviously got his money but stayed home like the others mentioned. it's not gushing at all it's the simple fact they came threw the system and we as fans were afforded their time with the same uniform……..how many can you name from your team for the last 15-20 years and have 15-20 years and HOF careers for your squad??

The real baffling thing is the jealousy other teams fans over the fact we are able to watch this guy play the game, and play it real well for so many years!! Leader? We have no proof but do you otherwise? Brian Roberts just talked about how he helped him through his career as an Oriole and always talked to him about having a place…..others have "gushed" over jeter and the way he carries himself…..look around, it's not just Yankee fans who feel he was great for the Yanks, there are many who think he was great for the game. Fielding overrated? Only if you view his GG's some of which were maybe not deserved but his hands were as sure as anyones and despite a slow step left/up the middle he was much more than adequate and steady/solid………..No one likes Waldman or Sterling so I hope you don't think you hurt anyone's feelings with that intelligent fact…….

Hey Sox fans GUSH all over Pedey…….he has 1 200 hit season and 0 100RBI seasons……..and he hits 3rd!!;);)……oh I forgot he's a leader because he hustles and dives so much!! His MVP season wasn't as good as 2-3 of Jeters seasons……but if he stays 19 years you can imagine right, the huge circle jerk in Boston?

Funny stuff…….

Last edited:
Reaction Score
;)

Yeah it's gushing?? How about the fact he played for the same team for 19 years, does that count anymore in this free agent soaked game of baseball……problem is most don't get it because they don't have the bernie's, gorge's, Mo's and Derek's……..it's really that simple. As a 54 year old, when i grew up guys stayed and played for their teams now they play for money……..he obviously got his money but stayed home like the others mentioned. it's not gushing at all it's the simple fact they came threw the system and we as fans were afforded their time with the same uniform……..how many can you name from your team for the last 15-20 years and have 15-20 years and HOF careers for your squad??

The real baffling thing is the jealousy other teams fans over the fact we are able to watch this guy play the game, and play it real well for so many years!! Leader? We have no proof but do you otherwise? Brian Roberts just talked about how he helped him through his career as an Oriole and always talked to him about having a place…..others have "gushed" over jeter and the way he carries himself…..look around, it's not just Yankee fans who feel he was great for the Yanks, there are many who think he was great for the game. Fielding overrated? Only if you view his GG's some of which were maybe not deserved but his hands were as sure as anyones and despite a slow step left/up the middle he was much more than adequate and steady/solid………..No one likes Waldman or Sterling so I hope you don't think you hurt anyone's feelings with that intelligent fact…….

Hey Sox fans GUSH all over Pedey…….he has 1 200 hit season and 0 100RBI seasons……..and he hits 3rd!!;);)……oh I forgot he's a leader because he hustles and dives so much!! His MVP season wasn't as good as 2-3 of Jeters seasons……but if he stays 19 years you can imagine right, the huge circle jerk in Boston?

Funny stuff…….

Players used to stay and play for one team because they didn't have a choice. Now they go where they think the opportunities are best for them. Not surprisingly, when you come up with a team that pays more than anyone else a player doesn't need to leave. Jeter made no sacrifices in that regard.

As for his abilities, I said he was a tremendous player and he is certainly a hall-of-famer. I also said he was over-rated in the field. You essentially agreed - his promotion is as a defensive player that is far more than sure-handed, adequate and "steady/solid." He was even kept at SS even when the team acquired a player with(in those days anyway) far better range.

But Yankee fans have deified Jeter far beyond being a great baseball player. He's portrayed as some sort of special human with unique leadership skills and there really is little objective evidence to support it. Despite having virtually a hand-picked roster with massive payroll advantages, three other teams (Boston, St. Louis and SF) have won more titles during the Jeter captaincy.

Lastly, if you think Pedroia gets close to the same attention or respect, at home or nationally, as Jeter you really don't have a clue. Pedroia is certainly very popular, but Jeter is treated with almost reverent status . Part of it has to do with the "pink hats" tracking the tall, handsome Jeter's every move (not many cared about the short, stumpy, bearded Pedroia's personal life even when he was single) and part of it is that he is probably one level behind as a player. Jeter is a clear HoF player and Pedroia is still a marginal candidate at this point in his career. The last component to the Jeter PR engine, however, is the promotion of Jeter as the ultimate team leader and player. Oddly enough, Pedroia will probably only be an overwhelming HoF candidate if he proves to be the special leader Yankee fans imagine Jeter to be and leads the Red Sox to at least one and probably two more championships.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom