DePaul Postgame Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

DePaul Postgame Thread

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I see 13. I reread the NCAA definition of an assist. It has to "contribute" to the basket even if there is a dribble. However the home statistician has discretion. If he or she thinks the pass is too routine or there are too many dribbles after it he or she can nullify it. I assume the first pass to Evina off the center jump was taken away and perhaps passes to Liv down low or maybe to Nika to make her 3. Doesn't make sense to me. Would have been 12 or 13 at Gampel.
I rewatched the game and counted, but only in the 2nd half. I agree with the official total of 3 assists in Q3. I saw 2 assists--1 to Aubrey and 1 to Aalyiyah--betweeen the 7:00 and 6:00 marks of Q4. She should have had at least 12 assists. Now if Saylor had drained some threes .... ;)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Saylor missed the AAU season. Her last games were in a mid-level high school conference. She'll get acclimated in time.

Saylor is not slow. She really covers ground with her long strides. She definitely glides.
You know some BYers can't help but comment on a player regardless of the situation. Young, new player, playing first game and still not in shape. Why would anyone say anything about her play under the circumstances? Expectations of some Byers are sometimes puzzling. Her shot in practice evidently has been fine.

Reaction Score
re: #7

Could not agree more. Directors, please take note. After a score, or good play, please let me watch the ENSUING play..........................................not the crowd, coach, bench, announcer or celebrating-player. Let's watch basketball, not "reaction highlights".

Don't forget (in normal years) the 5 second shot of her mom/dad in the stands.

Reaction Score
Respectfully disagree, if kid is practicing hard everyday, supportive team mate. et. al - put her in. Realistically, it's garbage time, nobody's learning anything being out there. Bruno emptied his bench.
Respectfully disagree, this is not rec league or high school freshman basketball. I have to remind myself at times of Geno's mind set, this is division 1 ball at the highest level. The goal and only goal is a NC. He wanted to learn just what Saylor might be able to do down the road to help the team. I was surprised he put Paige back in against his good friend in a beat down, but that is not how Geno looks at the game. He explained my question in the post game presser with Saylor already close to Paige and under her wing.
I think every fan has a heart string for Autumn but being a walk on she is going to have to be very impressive in practice to see PT. The dynamics of the team missing out on so many games does not help her cause this year.

Liv's problems this year continues to be UConn's poor shooting.
With all due respect your honor I disagree! ;) You obviously have knowledge of the game and I agree the outside shooting or lack of has not helped Olivia. Her problem and has been is simply putting the ball on the floor to gain position when it is not needed. She is not being double teamed or trapped until she starts to dribble. I was actually surprised tonight when she had a rebound put back without gathering the ball and bouncing it. ( We used to call it a tap in in the day) Then she had another with defenders way out of position wide open right under the basket and she still had to bounce the ball once. She made that one but the time it took to dribble once gave defenders time to be in rebound position should she have not.

I'm rooting for Liv, seen her up close working down low and she works hard. Having said that bigs not keeping the ball high or kicking it back out when the D collapses are doomed to what we see happening. This is a high school fundamental bad habit not sure why it has not been changed yet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, I have noticed that for a while. Many posts on other teams, even those not highly ranked, get in position so that when they catch a pass, all they do is turn and shoot. The desire to dribble is puzzling. A jump hook would help. As for those who are concerned about SC, have you been watching them lately? Also, I have watched all the top ten teams and have yet to see a team whose offense is not a work in progress and is sometimes disjointed.

ONO often catches passes or grabs rebounds on her toes, extended, and often without having her feet under her. Now she can only pivot unless she dribbles. Today she got a pass and only needed to take one step and go up but she had to dribble once to get her feet under her. It's like it's a rhythm thing. But it's death against a well trained defense. Dolson was like that early.
I'm hopeful that she and Bueckers will start to work better on pick and roll moves. Bueckers has a nice lollipop pass that could be dropped right into ONO's hands if she can slip free just like the pass she got from Bueckers today that Paige put right in her hands so she never lost stride.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
They are the worst. Peck never stops talking and is largely irrelevant. Peck was a coach. She should know the game and communicate that knowledge. Today had awful camera work as was pointed out and no real narration. It was a good thing there was a second camera that picked up Evina's steal on the inbounds pass, missed layup, rebound, and attempted put back to draw the foul. The main camera missed the whole thing. They didn't even know who was in the game or what was going on at times. Yet they talked and talked. Do these announcers think they have to do something different as commentators when women are playing? Is there a belief that they have to supplement or augment the game by making it more exciting or interesting with their monotonous verbiage? I think it is insulting. Talk about and narrate the game and let the viewers know what a team is doing and why, if you can. If not, maybe Hubie Brown will do women's college games.
The only ones worse, in my opinion, are Debbie Antonelli and Dick Vitale. Fans miss a number of plays because for some strange reason, the cameramen must be told to isolate on a player who just scored even when it can be seen a turnover or some other action is about to happen. That's the ESPN way.:confused:

Reaction Score
I thought the key to this game was: in the 2nd half, DePaul stopped playing defense.

I thought UCONN broke them in the 3rd qtr.
Just need patience with this team.

They need to find a style of play that suits their situation.
Their 2 best players are their newcomers..
And one is a frosh who is a reluctant scorer learning to being more and more selfish.

This team is like the 99-00 team imo. Their 3 perimeter players have to score. Their bigs need to defend and rebound. Scoring is a bonus from them and yes/ofc vs over-matched teams they could also be scorers. The idea for this UCONN team is to win the big games with their guards/wings and hold-the-fort in the paint.

Just need some production from some other players from the perimeter so all does not rely upon Paige, Evina and CWill in a big games.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Some random observations:

1. As Geno noted, it is disturbing that the team tends to start slow. We were down 15-8. Christyn hit a three at that point. I think that was a pretty key moment. Our intensity picked up, while DePaul`s started to sag. By the end, DePaul was just hoping the bus was warm.

2. I hope this ends up being a turnaround game for Christyn. She was doing exactly what many of us have hoped for - selective on the threes, and take it hard to the basket. That is really her game. 12-15 is pretty strong evidence.

3. I don`t think anyone has mentioned Evina`s knee. I think she was playing through some level of discomfort today, or perhaps I should say more than usual. I saw her grimacing a bit near the end of the first quarter, and she was subbed out shortly after that. She sat for quite a while (played all 40 the other night), and when she came back in she had some kind of wrap on her knee - I don`t think she had it to start the game. Nevertheless, she gutted it out with a very solid game especially on the boards, 14 rebounds, in 30 minutes.

4. Nika came in very early in the third quarter, around 6:40, for Aubrey. Strange. I replayed it to see if I could figure out why. It sounded like Geno was screaming at Aubrey to move on offense, and if so I think he had a point there, she wasn`t moving in any kind of recognizable offensive flow. Aubrey was back in later, so I don`t think getting subbed out early had anything to do with the whack(s) she took. Nika doesn`t score much and hasn`t gotten a ton of assists, although she had a couple of nice ones today, but when she is in there the ball moves better, it doesn`t get stuck as much, she seems to get it. I also think part of it is that the other guards - Christyn, Evina and Paige - have more room to work. I like her effort and enthusiasm.

5. We got 30 points and 16 rebounds combined from Liv, Aubrey and Aaliyah in 64 total minutes. I`ll take that. If Liv can play about 25 minutes and get about 12 and 8, with 2 or 3 blocks, solid defense, and no foul trouble, we`ll be there at the end.

6. Listening to the announcers made me realize how lucky we are to have Allen Bestwick and Meghan Culmo. The ones today were determined not to let the game in front of them interrupt their yada, yada, yada conversation. Is the rule now that there can never be a nanosecond of dead air time? I am from the less is more camp, but that camp isn`t getting very many campers any more.

7. I also have no patience for camera shots lingering on the head coaches while the game is going on. I know what Doug Bruno looks like, and I can imagine he would be looking concerned if his team is down 35. Also, I`m fine with their pre-planned little story lines, like on Jewel Loyd, but not when they end up cutting into the game.

8. Finally, I wasn`t going to say anything about Paige because, well, what can I add. Not much. Will simply say that the next four years of UConn basketball are going to be amazing.
Griffin had to be subbed out because someone from the bench came on the floor to check on her. When that happens, a player has to be removed until the next dead ball. Your comments on the camera shots lingering on the coaches is right on to me. When I attended games, I had no interest in looking at the coaches, especially when action was taking place on the court.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Respectfully disagree, this is not rec league or high school freshman basketball. I have to remind myself at times of Geno's mind set, this is division 1 ball at the highest level. The goal and only goal is a NC. He wanted to learn just what Saylor might be able to do down the road to help the team. I was surprised he put Paige back in against his good friend in a beat down, but that is not how Geno looks at the game. He explained my question in the post game presser with Saylor already close to Paige and under her wing.
I think every fan has a heart string for Autumn but being a walk on she is going to have to be very impressive in practice to see PT. The dynamics of the team missing out on so many games does not help her cause this year.

With all due respect your honor I disagree! ;) You obviously have knowledge of the game and I agree the outside shooting or lack of has not helped Olivia. Her problem and has been is simply putting the ball on the floor to gain position when it is not needed. She is not being double teamed or trapped until she starts to dribble. I was actually surprised tonight when she had a rebound put back without gathering the ball and bouncing it. ( We used to call it a tap in in the day) Then she had another with defenders way out of position wide open right under the basket and she still had to bounce the ball once. She made that one but the time it took to dribble once gave defenders time to be in rebound position should she have not.

I'm rooting for Liv, seen her up close working down low and she works hard. Having said that bigs not keeping the ball high or kicking it back out when the D collapses are doomed to what we see happening. This is a high school fundamental bad habit not sure why it has not been changed yet.
Perhaps I should have said as well. I also covered her poor power dribble as well as a host of other shortcomings. But the truth is that many of her faults would have been disguised, glossed over or ignored if UConn's perimeter shooting was better than it was.

Reaction Score
1) One statement to sum up Paige "All-American"
2) Christyn Williams had a bounce back game. Shot looked good and she looked comfortable
3) a 5 for 6 from the Field and 8 Boards game for Aubrey Griffin was pretty effective (despite taking a AE shot to the head)
4) efficient game from Evina Westbrook. 12 Points and 14 Boards, nothing to sneeze about !
5) ONO's game was good but one would expect more from Olivia
6) AE's game off the bench was good, but that Shot that she gave to Aubrey in the 2nd Quarter could have been devastating. (more "Bull in the China Shop")
7) Geno probably told Saylor to simply LAUNCH 'EM UP !!
8) Disappointing that Autumn didn't get a taste in the last 1:30 (no need for Paige to go back in, unless Autumn is in Geno's Chateau De Bow Wow)
1. Correct.
2. Williams is best when she is aggressive to the basket. Then, even her outside shot improves.
3. Agree. And stop with the three point attempts.
4. Evina is a rock.
5. Onon is having a ragged year. She has to figure out how not to bring rebounds down to her waist, before passing or re-shooting.
6. AE is an animal. She hit a mid range shot...cool.
7. Probably so.
8. I agree. She now drops another slot on the ladder.
9. Mir looked better.
10. Muhl is becoming a useful asset.

Reaction Score
My 2 cents on the First Qtr:

Not much has changed really. We are late on the 3 pt close outs but Depaul just missed them whereas Ark made them. We gave up 22 pts and it could have been 30 if Depaul makes their open threes. Defense is a working progress for this group.

CW starts with an airball from 3. Gets beat once but gets the charge later. Beat again but saved my Liv’s help defense. Hit the 3 coming off the pick. Maybe this is what she needs. Standing around wide open and then shooting is not her strength. She needs to be in motion and then take the 3….hmmmm…

AG – as usual, starts out with high energy. Got the tie up, freed herself for he easy two, got the block, nice recognition pass to EW for the open three look. Four different positive outcomes in a three minute span. Had a nice back down take later on.

EW looks to be in pain.

Liv -nice passing out of the double team and backdoor to PB. For the most part, doing what she needs to do against a smaller team

PB – active and moving really well.

NM beat badly at the buzzer.

Reaction Score
So what was the actual difference between the last two games?
OK, Arkansas is a little better...but vaguely similar in approach...
Both games started similarly with UConn playing like they were falling into the similar rut especially with Mamma E missing.

But in the 2nd quarter, Paige hit a bunch, some easy points were realized in transition the result of solid D...D'D'Oh? We're actually supposed to guard our man (Woman)...to a goodly extent highlighted, in (initiated) by Nika's efforts.
Then there was rebounding...(We're supposed to do that too?) much better eh?

Put it together and whatta you got?
A much better result.

Better D, better rebounding, slightly better...but not significantly different shooting percentage. And we were able to carve their heart out so that the 4th quarter was garbage time.

And Christyn played harder and attacked the rim to good effect
And the bigs had only 5 fouls between them and were far more aggressive and aware.

More the way its supposed to be...
The question is...Is the combination of intelligent aggression and reasonable fundamentals a consistent feature of Uconn's game going forward or will we relapse.

Stay tuned
The difference was that the offense changed with orders from GA to give the bigs - ONO & AE - a LOT more touches. As such, the offense looked eerily similar to the John Wooden offense that was run through their forwards - Wicks & Rowe. One of the reasons why CW looked so good tonight, eh?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
@oldude -- If you are located in the Albany, NY region, they cut away for the Centers for Disability Services Telethon. It was the local Fox23 that cut away.
Correct

Reaction Score
My 2 cents on the Guards in the 2nd -4th Qtr:

Second game in a row where we have 47 at the half. That is good production even if it isn’t always pretty. Down 7 midway in the 1st and then up 13 at half – 20 point swing – can’t complain with that! DePaul missing some shots but UCONN playing better help and switch and close-out defense i the 2nd Qtr. Some of our best offense came with the small line up-NM, PB, EW, CW and Liv to protect the rim. I’m not sure if this will work against top teams with size. You have to like the progress of our freshman in this disruptive Covid year. I am really excited to see how they look in another 12 games.

PB is so darn good in so many ways. She is already playing like a senior. The game is just so slow to her. I continue to marvel at how she disrupts passing lanes. You get an easy layup 2-3 times a game simply because of the disruptions she causes. I haven’t seen a lot of different teams play, but is there anybody playing any better than PB right now and take the full 12 games into consideration?

CW getting the feeling that nobody on DePaul can keep her from getting to the rack. Several excellent takes. Nice backdoor cut and finish. Nice work on the boards. Better defense. Good half! Good closeout in the early 3rd. Explosive takes to the rim and consistent finisher! Although it is easier to do without a rim protector on the other end. Was a monster on the boards a couple time as well. Has some serious hops! Got beat some but hey, the other team has good players too!! Seemed to have a much better sense of urgency with her defense until the last 5-6 minutes of the game. The team played awful defense the last 5-6 minutes of the game. Great game on offense and better on defense. Love the work she did on the boards as well. Can she play the same way against top level teams who have taller players in the post waiting on her when she drives?

NM – better defense this time, but a tick late and gets the foul. She seems to learn fast. Beat badly the first time and then much better the second. Got indecisive and picked up the pivot foot for the turnover, then makes up for it seconds later with the steal. Nice pass to PB to AE. This sequence was even better when you consider AE was on the floor scrambling for the rebound and then got up and ran down the floor to get the easy two. Nice hustle by AE! Later NM had a nice take to the hoop to get to the foul line. The threat of the 3 set that up. NM is a tick late on the switch, giving up the bucket. She had a so-so game. Seems to want to do more and more, which shows confidence and growth. As a result, she will get it wrong sometimes. Nice progress over 12 games!

Reaction Score
My 2 cents on the wings/bigs in the 2nd -4th Qtr:

EW having trouble with quickness on defense. Nice hustle and recognition on the steal. Does not want to finish with the left hand – I’ve noticed this all year long- very odd for an experienced player of her stature. I think she is much better in getting the kick from PB and NM for the 3 than CW. CW is better when running off screens and then shooting the 3. Seemed to come down with a lot of rebounds.

Liv – nice job running the court and using her size advantage. Some nice passes to cutters as well. GA using her at times to flow the offense through this game, maybe because of the size advantage. Could Liv make these nice passes against better and taller players?

AG – really good possession where she gets the excellent close out on the 3 and then gets back in the lane to get the rebound. Not many players can do this. Later had another good close-out on Morris. Nice takes/finish at the rim. Say what you will about AG, but the last 5 games she is giving us 12 and 7 in only 24 minutes while shooting at 56%. She doesn’t need or take a lot of shots. Now, can she do this against teams with size?

AE – nice 15 footer. If she can hit that with consistency, this adds another dimension to our offense! Same with AG and Liv. AE getting involved more and more each game. She is a truck in the lane. How good is she going to be after another 12 games?

Mir – GA going more with her the last several games. Getting double digit minutes in 4 of the last 6 games. She must be showing out in practice. Adds a lot of energy. Good for a nice play or three in short spurts. She is progressing as well.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The encouraging sign to me in this game was that there was some "classic" UConn basketball played. There were a few plays that just had me gasping at the beauty of the flow. A couple that I remember:

The opening tip. Ball tipped to Paige, bounce pass to Christyn, and in the basked.

The other one was a long rebound to, I think Evina, outlet to Nika. She didn't have the right angle to hit Aaliyah, so a short pass to Paige, tap to Aaliyan and score. I think Nika may have dribbled the ball once, but it was one bounce from end to end and the entire play was maybe three seconds.

I agree with others who have said the backcourt of Paige, Evina, and Nika really seems to be working.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
As I look at the remaining schedule, provided there are no more pauses, the team will start playing on a consistent basis. This should allow the team to develop a very good team flow and chemistry. This is what has been missing so far. Nothing can replace actual game experience.

I think people forget that by this time of the year, teams have played at least 20 games. We're at half that total.

Reaction Score
As I look at the remaining schedule, provided there are no more pauses, the team will start playing on a consistent basis. This should allow the team to develop a very good team flow and chemistry. This is what has been missing so far. Nothing can replace actual game experience.

I think people forget that by this time of the year, teams have played at least 20 games. We're at half that total.
I have looked and it seems we only have about 12 games left. Is that correct?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom