DePaul Postgame Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

DePaul Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
The local should feel your wrath. Total discrimination against women. Hammer them. Letters to the Editors of the local newspapers. That is total BS and they should pay for it. The first Women's game on FOX and they decide not to show half of it. What station did you watch? They new to feel the internet wrath.
My local affiliate (upstate NY around Albany), cut it at 2 to show the "Center for Disability Services Telethon." This telethon has been shown in this area for 30+ years. It is always shown on a Sunday in January as well. I think it was an unfortunate coincidence that it fell on the same date/time as the first broadcasted women's game. Not sure I would direct ire at the station for this.

The station scrolled on the bottom to show an alternate station to view the rest of the game. They did this around 5 minutest before 2. Unfortunately for me, I have Direct TV, and my provider doesn't carry that station. I was able to watch the 4th quarter on the Fox app.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Some random observations:

1. As Geno noted, it is disturbing that the team tends to start slow. We were down 15-8. Christyn hit a three at that point. I think that was a pretty key moment. Our intensity picked up, while DePaul`s started to sag. By the end, DePaul was just hoping the bus was warm.

2. I hope this ends up being a turnaround game for Christyn. She was doing exactly what many of us have hoped for - selective on the threes, and take it hard to the basket. That is really her game. 12-15 is pretty strong evidence.

3. I don`t think anyone has mentioned Evina`s knee. I think she was playing through some level of discomfort today, or perhaps I should say more than usual. I saw her grimacing a bit near the end of the first quarter, and she was subbed out shortly after that. She sat for quite a while (played all 40 the other night), and when she came back in she had some kind of wrap on her knee - I don`t think she had it to start the game. Nevertheless, she gutted it out with a very solid game especially on the boards, 14 rebounds, in 30 minutes.

4. Nika came in very early in the third quarter, around 6:40, for Aubrey. Strange. I replayed it to see if I could figure out why. It sounded like Geno was screaming at Aubrey to move on offense, and if so I think he had a point there, she wasn`t moving in any kind of recognizable offensive flow. Aubrey was back in later, so I don`t think getting subbed out early had anything to do with the whack(s) she took. Nika doesn`t score much and hasn`t gotten a ton of assists, although she had a couple of nice ones today, but when she is in there the ball moves better, it doesn`t get stuck as much, she seems to get it. I also think part of it is that the other guards - Christyn, Evina and Paige - have more room to work. I like her effort and enthusiasm.

5. We got 30 points and 16 rebounds combined from Liv, Aubrey and Aaliyah in 64 total minutes. I`ll take that. If Liv can play about 25 minutes and get about 12 and 8, with 2 or 3 blocks, solid defense, and no foul trouble, we`ll be there at the end.

6. Listening to the announcers made me realize how lucky we are to have Allen Bestwick and Meghan Culmo. The ones today were determined not to let the game in front of them interrupt their yada, yada, yada conversation. Is the rule now that there can never be a nanosecond of dead air time? I am from the less is more camp, but that camp isn`t getting very many campers any more.

7. I also have no patience for camera shots lingering on the head coaches while the game is going on. I know what Doug Bruno looks like, and I can imagine he would be looking concerned if his team is down 35. Also, I`m fine with their pre-planned little story lines, like on Jewel Loyd, but not when they end up cutting into the game.

8. Finally, I wasn`t going to say anything about Paige because, well, what can I add. Not much. Will simply say that the next four years of UConn basketball are going to be amazing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I see 12 assists for Paige...
I see 13. I reread the NCAA definition of an assist. It has to "contribute" to the basket even if there is a dribble. However the home statistician has discretion. If he or she thinks the pass is too routine or there are too many dribbles after it he or she can nullify it. I assume the first pass to Evina off the center jump was taken away and perhaps passes to Liv down low or maybe to Nika to make her 3. Doesn't make sense to me. Would have been 12 or 13 at Gampel.

Reaction Score
The home statistician, according to NCAA rules, has the final say on assists.

Reaction Score
So what was the actual difference between the last two games?
The officiating. UConn's defense disappeared in the Arkansas game the moment the fouls started to pile up.

The Depaul game:
Turnovers UConn - 14, Depaul - 11
Fouls: UConn - 15, Depaul - 15

The Arkansas game:
Turnovers: UConn 15, Arkansas 9
Fouls: UConn 23, Arkansas 13

The 15 TO's and 23 fouls in the Arkansas game stand out. Offensively UConn scores 87 (Ark) vs. 100 (DP) but the opponent Arkansas scores 90 v Depaul 67. Clearly poor UConn defense, in big part because of officiating, IMNSHO. Sour grapes be damned.

Reaction Score
The officiating. UConn's defense disappeared in the Arkansas game the moment the fouls started to pile up.

The Depaul game:
Turnovers UConn - 14, Depaul - 11
Fouls: UConn - 15, Depaul - 15

The Arkansas game:
Turnovers: UConn 15, Arkansas 9
Fouls: UConn 23, Arkansas 13

The 15 TO's and 23 fouls in the Arkansas game stand out. Offensively UConn scores 87 (Ark) vs. 100 (DP) but the opponent Arkansas scores 90 v Depaul 67. Clearly poor UConn defense, in big part because of officiating, IMNSHO. Sour grapes be damned.
Oh, I agree 100% about the officiating. Terrible. Not a single push off called gave tremendous advantage to their dribble drive offense.

Reaction Score
Great game by Williams, I trust her to rise to her expectations by the time she is gone, with some inconsistencies, but things will be better from her. Liv, on the other hand should just shift her dominance to defense, kinda like Stokes. Liv has what it takes in that category. Just be serviceable on offense and don’t hurt us. We looked good. The loss looks to have been a blessing, but I’ll hold my opinion on that til after South Carolina. The freshman ain’t playin, they look like as a whole, they are winners.
I agree with you about Liv. She's good at blocking shots but she seems to be all mechanical. Most of her blocks are around her head in stead of extending her arms. The same when she shoots inside on a off. rebound. Have you noticed that?

Reaction Score
1) One statement to sum up Paige "All-American"
2) Christyn Williams had a bounce back game. Shot looked good and she looked comfortable
3) a 5 for 6 from the Field and 8 Boards game for Aubrey Griffin was pretty effective (despite taking a AE shot to the head)
4) efficient game from Evina Westbrook. 12 Points and 14 Boards, nothing to sneeze about !
5) ONO's game was good but one would expect more from Olivia
6) AE's game off the bench was good, but that Shot that she gave to Aubrey in the 2nd Quarter could have been devastating. (more "Bull in the China Shop")
7) Geno probably told Saylor to simply LAUNCH 'EM UP !!
8) Disappointing that Autumn didn't get a taste in the last 1:30 (no need for Paige to go back in, unless Autumn is in Geno's Chateau De Bow Wow)
It's the walk on thing and the young scholly players need as much time they can get.

Reaction Score
My local affiliate (upstate NY around Albany), cut it at 2 to show the "Center for Disability Services Telethon." This telethon has been shown in this area for 30+ years. It is always shown on a Sunday in January as well. I think it was an unfortunate coincidence that it fell on the same date/time as the first broadcasted women's game. Not sure I would direct ire at the station for this.

The station scrolled on the bottom to show an alternate station to view the rest of the game. They did this around 5 minutest before 2. Unfortunately for me, I have Direct TV, and my provider doesn't carry that station. I was able to watch the 4th quarter on the Fox app.
They did it several times well before 2. You just didn’t notice until then.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
One observation on today's game:

DePaul started FIVE seniors. They had the experience and maturity, but we had Paige and they didn't.
No 2 seniors, 2 juniors, 1 sophomore

Reaction Score
Could it be that we're finding out that the SEC is a very tough conference? DePaul is the second best team in the Big East, which we've handled easily. But two teams that are not at the top of the SEC take us to the limit. Ouch!!

With SEC refs on their own floor (with fans). That's always the case, not just in the SEC.

UConn gets everyone's best shot. And road games in front of hostile fans is new for freshmen. Any young team playing 3 road games against ranked and experienced opponents would be happy with 2-1. They were going to toss a stinker or two this season and as long as one isn't in the NCAA's it really doesn't matter. What they learned in Ark is that no matter how talented they are if they don't bring the energy right from the start a hot shooting team can make it hard to catch up.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

1. As Geno noted, it is disturbing that the team tends to start slow. We were down 15-8. Christyn hit a three at that point. I think that was a pretty key moment. Our intensity picked up, while DePaul`s started to sag. By the end, DePaul was just hoping the bus was warm.

2. I hope this ends up being a turnaround game for Christyn. She was doing exactly what many of us have hoped for - selective on the threes, and take it hard to the basket. That is really her game. 12-15 is pretty strong evidence.

3. I don`t think anyone has mentioned Evina`s knee. I think she was playing through some level of discomfort today, or perhaps I should say more than usual. I saw her grimacing a bit near the end of the first quarter, and she was subbed out shortly after that. She sat for quite a while (played all 40 the other night), and when she came back in she had some kind of wrap on her knee - I don`t think she had it to start the game. Nevertheless, she gutted it out with a very solid game especially on the boards, 14 rebounds, in 30 minutes.
You are correct, Evina had her right leg bandaged (I believe it was a bandage) during the game but I believe it was not on her surgically repaired left leg. I am going to verify this in the AM when I watch the replay.

Reaction Score

4. Nika came in very early in the third quarter, around 6:40, for Aubrey. Strange. I replayed it to see if I could figure out why. It sounded like Geno was screaming at Aubrey to move on offense, and if so I think he had a point there, she wasn`t moving in any kind of recognizable offensive flow. Aubrey was back in later, so I don`t think getting subbed out early had anything to do with the whack(s) she took. Nika doesn`t score much and hasn`t gotten a ton of assists, although she had a couple of nice ones today, but when she is in there the ball moves better, it doesn`t get stuck as much, she seems to get it. I also think part of it is that the other guards - Christyn, Evina and Paige - have more room to work. I like her effort and enthusiasm.

5. We got 30 points and 16 rebounds combined from Liv, Aubrey and Aaliyah in 64 total minutes. I`ll take that. If Liv can play about 25 minutes and get about 12 and 8, with 2 or 3 blocks, solid defense, and no foul trouble, we`ll be there at the end.

6. Listening to the announcers made me realize how lucky we are to have Allen Bestwick and Meghan Culmo. The ones today were determined not to let the game in front of them interrupt their yada, yada, yada conversation. Is the rule now that there can never be a nanosecond of dead air time? I am from the less is more camp, but that camp isn`t getting very many campers any more.

7. I also have no patience for camera shots lingering on the head coaches while the game is going on. I know what Doug Bruno looks like, and I can imagine he would be looking concerned if his team is down 35. Also, I`m fine with their pre-planned little story lines, like on Jewel Loyd, but not when they end up cutting into the game.

8. Finally, I wasn`t going to say anything about Paige because, well, what can I add. Not much. Will simply say that the next four years of UConn basketball are going to be amazing.
re: #7

Could not agree more. Directors, please take note. After a score, or good play, please let me watch the ENSUING play..........................................not the crowd, coach, bench, announcer or celebrating-player. Let's watch basketball, not "reaction highlights".

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Great point from Geno about how playing without fans makes the games feel like scrimmages against other teams and that the games are therefore devoid of emotion and that you have to make your own.
And it is just a shame that some teams can have (a record amount of) fans while others cannot. Doesn't seem like a level playing field to me.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
And it is just a shame that some teams can have (a record amount of) fans while others cannot. Doesn't seem like a level playing field to me.
It's the State, County, or City that is restricting the amount of fans, not the University.

Reaction Score
I was actually thinking before the game. Why do we look so constipated opening games. Where are those quick 2 pass scoring plays to start off a game.
Geno actually talked about that in his presser although he was not quite as scatological in his description. He said he doesn't like it and wants to correct it. I think having Paige and Evina shoot often in the early moments like today will go a long way to stopping that since it will get them going. Certainly a full court press would help too but you can't do that against every team.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
To a point. I hope CW finally realizes she can drive to the basket like few others. I still do not like how we match up with SC physically. Not that impressed with Liv's game and I think Boston will look at Liv like a chicken tender, The play where she got a Paige dime on the baseline 2 feet from the basket and still found the need to dribble is just mind numbing.

Paige may need to go for 30+ and dial up Steph Curry range.
Yes, I have noticed that for a while. Many posts on other teams, even those not highly ranked, get in position so that when they catch a pass, all they do is turn and shoot. The desire to dribble is puzzling. A jump hook would help. As for those who are concerned about SC, have you been watching them lately? Also, I have watched all the top ten teams and have yet to see a team whose offense is not a work in progress and is sometimes disjointed.

Reaction Score
This team has me so excited about the future. Trying to stay focused on the current season, but I can’t help but think about how good we are going to be as our freshman core continues to grow. They showed up in big ways today! Not to mention some of the amazing recruits coming in next year. So exciting! Also an amazing performance by CW today with her career high 29.

Reaction Score
This team has me so excited about the future. Trying to stay focused on the current season, but I can’t help but think about how good we are going to be as our freshman core continues to grow. They showed up in big ways today! Not to mention some of the amazing recruits coming in next year. So exciting! Also an amazing performance by CW today with her career high 29.
She should’ve broken the 30 pt barrier if she would’ve made her free throws. But now I’m just being greedy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom