DePaul Postgame Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

DePaul Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Boston shot 2-10 today. She did have 13 boards, 6 assists, and 3 blocks, but only 6 points.
While Boston can overpower ONO physically, if ONO can force herself to stop slapping at the ball we have a chance. Have seen Boston play 6 times this year and while she is impressive, she is not quick and will have little experience against a shot blocker her size. ONO with arms straight up is a good option; ONO slapping will probably foul out quickly.

Reaction Score
While Boston can overpower ONO physically, if ONO can force herself to stop slapping at the ball we have a chance. Have seen Boston play 6 times this year and while she is impressive, she is not quick and will have little experience against a shot blocker her size. ONO with arms straight up is a good option; ONO slapping will probably foul out quickly.
I hear ya Hop. I am starting to worry more about Liv and not less. She is no match for Boston. Also, I'm not sure if she can keep her hands straight up. Boston can finish through contact as well. This is not a good matchup for us. But in reality, Boston is not a good matchup for anybody.

GA will have to devise a smart game plan to help Liv out and keep her in the game without foul trouble. Only have to slow Boston down. Keep her to say 15 and I'd be fairly happy.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the DePaul game:
  • Interesting graphic showing UConn with the top five FG% shooters in the Big East…..and then the Huskies open the game shooting 20% for the first qtr. Go figure.
  • OK, this is going to be news to absolutely no one: Paige needs to shoot more.
  • Not one of Evina’s most efficient games, but she was a rebounding force with 11 in the 1st half alone and 14 overall.
  • Christyn is so much more effective when she is attacking the basket, like she was today, as opposed to roaming the perimeter.
  • Aubrey with some solid minutes and it appears that Liv picked it up in the 2nd half. Some decent minutes from Aaliyah as well, but I think for all of UConn’s C/F’s consistency has to be the goal right now.
  • Saylor gets her 1st minutes and fires up three shots from the arc. The fact that she missed them all was probably for the best. I could just see the BY discussions now if she had knocked them down. :confused:
  • To my absolute amazement, FOX cut away from the game at halftime to cover a Telethon for the Disabled. Now I absolutely support that great cause, but you have got to be kidding me? So you guys are going to have to fill me in on the 2nd half.
Speaking of FOX, is anyone else experiencing muffled sound quality from the analyst and broadcaster? It's as if they have microphones too close to some noise source that overrides the announcers' voices.
We have DirecTV and don't notice anything like it on all the ESPN's, CBS, CBSSN, B1G, ACC and SEC.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Great point from Geno about how playing without fans makes the games feel like scrimmages against other teams and that the games are therefore devoid of emotion and that you have to make your own.
Evina also made those same points eelier in the season before the Nova game I believe.

Reaction Score
The difference was that the offense changed with orders from GA to give the bigs - ONO & AE - a LOT more touches. As such, the offense looked eerily similar to the John Wooden offense that was run through their forwards - Wicks & Rowe. One of the reasons why CW looked so good tonight, eh?
Good observation. It did work well Jingo. But.....Liv is not a great passer and this team had a lot of little guys that she could see over to make the easy pass. I'm not as optimistic that she can do this against bigger more athletic teams. I'm not saying she can't, just not sure she can either.

Reaction Score
I thought UCONN broke them in the 3rd qtr.
Just need patience with this team.

They need to find a style of play that suits their situation.
Their 2 best players are their newcomers..
And one is a frosh who is a reluctant scorer learning to being more and more selfish.

This team is like the 99-00 team imo. Their 3 perimeter players have to score. Their bigs need to defend and rebound. Scoring is a bonus from them and yes/ofc vs over-matched teams they could also be scorers. The idea for this UCONN team is to win the big games with their guards/wings and hold-the-fort in the paint.

Just need some production from some other players from the perimeter so all does not rely upon Paige, Evina and CWill in a big games.
we are an outside inside team that can't shoot consistently from the outside.....

Reaction Score
Some random observations:

1. As Geno noted, it is disturbing that the team tends to start slow. We were down 15-8. Christyn hit a three at that point. I think that was a pretty key moment. Our intensity picked up, while DePaul`s started to sag. By the end, DePaul was just hoping the bus was warm.

2. I hope this ends up being a turnaround game for Christyn. She was doing exactly what many of us have hoped for - selective on the threes, and take it hard to the basket. That is really her game. 12-15 is pretty strong evidence.

3. I don`t think anyone has mentioned Evina`s knee. I think she was playing through some level of discomfort today, or perhaps I should say more than usual. I saw her grimacing a bit near the end of the first quarter, and she was subbed out shortly after that. She sat for quite a while (played all 40 the other night), and when she came back in she had some kind of wrap on her knee - I don`t think she had it to start the game. Nevertheless, she gutted it out with a very solid game especially on the boards, 14 rebounds, in 30 minutes.

4. Nika came in very early in the third quarter, around 6:40, for Aubrey. Strange. I replayed it to see if I could figure out why. It sounded like Geno was screaming at Aubrey to move on offense, and if so I think he had a point there, she wasn`t moving in any kind of recognizable offensive flow. Aubrey was back in later, so I don`t think getting subbed out early had anything to do with the whack(s) she took. Nika doesn`t score much and hasn`t gotten a ton of assists, although she had a couple of nice ones today, but when she is in there the ball moves better, it doesn`t get stuck as much, she seems to get it. I also think part of it is that the other guards - Christyn, Evina and Paige - have more room to work. I like her effort and enthusiasm.

5. We got 30 points and 16 rebounds combined from Liv, Aubrey and Aaliyah in 64 total minutes. I`ll take that. If Liv can play about 25 minutes and get about 12 and 8, with 2 or 3 blocks, solid defense, and no foul trouble, we`ll be there at the end.

6. Listening to the announcers made me realize how lucky we are to have Allen Bestwick and Meghan Culmo. The ones today were determined not to let the game in front of them interrupt their yada, yada, yada conversation. Is the rule now that there can never be a nanosecond of dead air time? I am from the less is more camp, but that camp isn`t getting very many campers any more.

7. I also have no patience for camera shots lingering on the head coaches while the game is going on. I know what Doug Bruno looks like, and I can imagine he would be looking concerned if his team is down 35. Also, I`m fine with their pre-planned little story lines, like on Jewel Loyd, but not when they end up cutting into the game.

8. Finally, I wasn`t going to say anything about Paige because, well, what can I add. Not much. Will simply say that the next four years of UConn basketball are going to be amazing.
5. We got 30 points and 16 rebounds combined from Liv, Aubrey and Aaliyah in 64 total minutes. I`ll take that. If Liv can play about 25 minutes and get about 12 and 8, with 2 or 3 blocks, solid defense, and no foul trouble, we`ll be there at the end.

The above is of vital importance. We have little chance against the better teams out there without a solid to good game by Liv.

Reaction Score
"bringing the ball down to her waste"
Nice bounce back game.

The announcers talked about Depaul being rusty after not playing for 10 days (I think they said it in Q3), but that wasn't the problem. They had a great Q1. UCONN just outplayed them. Maybe wore them down a bit. Maybe they got a bit demoralized. Our 3-point shooting was actually better than DePaul's - a shocker I know!!

Paige took 15 shots. YAY. Now go for 20. I liked seeing Nika in the game with her - made Paige more a 2G.

Have to give Christyn props. Best game I've seen from her in a long time. Aggressive to the hoop, and even shot 2-4 from deep. Really nice to see.

The other junior... I've given up on Olivia. Still with the tomahawk chop on blocking. Still with bringing the ball down to her waste and/or dribbling when not necessary, leaving herself open to be stripped. I'm ready to see a lot more of Liya and a lot less of ONO. Olivia is what she is. A decent post player. That is all.

I thought Nika did some really good things. Came in and right away TO, foul, etc. but gathered herself and played well.

SO GLAD to see Aubrey start the 2nd half. I was worried about concussion protocol on her - she got nailed in Q2. I LOVE her energy. She may not do everything perfect, but her improvement has been noticeable, and she brings a scoring pop that is fun to see.

Evina had an off shooting night, but 14 boards - holy crap! Loved the play at the end of Q2 where she stole the inbounds pas and was fouled with .5 left on the clock. I really really hope she comes back next season. She adds SO MUCH to this team, and I'm very concerned about Williams and ONO being the team leaders next season.

Liya has a lot of upside. For all that people worry about our play in the post, SHE is the future.

Piath is getting it. Also, loved seeing Poff in - she's not afraid to shoot, but she looks like she's moving thru molasses at this point. Of course, too small a sample size. Just getting reps is great for her. Had a nice almost steal at half-court.

Overall, a very nice bounceback game. Average Q1, but came on gangbusters in Q2 and Q3. Much better ball movement and movement without the ball...
"bringing the ball down to her waste"
Freudian slip? Or just an honest evaluation of her offensive moves?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I have looked and it seems we only have about 12 games left. Is that correct?
According to the UConn site, 10 games are left.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I believe when the NCAA allowed teams to start playing again, the revised regular season maximum number of games was 24, or 25 with a multi-team event. Assuming UConn completes their remaining schedule in full, the Huskies will be 2 games short of the maximum.

Reaction Score
wow, not a lot.... Then it is the tournament, which is presumably 4 games and the tournament, which is hopefully 6 more.....

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
It's the State, County, or City that is restricting the amount of fans, not the University.
I know that but it is still not an even playing field.
PS. I am not starting an argument on the handling of the pandemic, just voicing my opinion on the fairness.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

1. As Geno noted, it is disturbing that the team tends to start slow.

2. I hope this ends up being a turnaround game for Christyn. She was doing exactly what many of us have hoped for - selective on the threes, and take it hard to the basket.
1. Slow start - at what point does Geno get desperate and start the Energizer Bunny Five: Paige, Evina, Aubrey, Nika, and Mir? Aubrey and Mir are short for posts but they attack the boards and they are quick of defense. As you say the ball does not get stuck with Nika in the game. Evina and Paige can be the primary offense.
2. What does turnaround game mean? I have heard it and no doubt said it. Other than improve on an abysmal 29% 3FG% and perhaps defense, what? Better movement on offense? Below are some of her game stats. What should she do to turmaround, other than a pirouette? ;)
1612194324398.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
we are an outside inside team that can't shoot consistently from the outside.....
I don't agree with this as of today. Though the word "consistently" is a bit of a misnomer. One can use that word to define it in any manner that fits their narrative. Not every game will they shoot well but even the combo of Bird/DT had clunkers.

But imo UCONN continues to revise before our eyes.
As we feature more our two best outside shooters (Paige and Evina) to shoot the most of the 3's and less 3's from CWill, Liv and Griff - we become a pretty good 3pt shooting just as UCONN ahs shown in it's last 2 games.

Also Nika is improving from 3.

As Paige takes more of the 3pt shots - and overall shoots more - overall the team becomes a better shooting team. And Evina probably going to take more.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
UConn has no problem shooting from the outside. They have a problem hitting from the outside.:confused:
Worth noting that UConn is currently 33rd in the NCAA, shooting a respectable 36.4 % from 3, just a few spots below #1 Louisville at 29th who is shooting 36.52 %. Certainly, UConn is not where we would all like to see them, but not too bad overall.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
1. Slow start - at what point does Geno get desparate and start the Energizer Bunny Five: Paige, Evina, Aubrey, Nika, and Mir? Aubrey and Mir are short for posts but they attack the boards and they are quick of defense. As you say the ball does not get stuck with Nika in the game. Evina and Paige can be the primary offense
archie andrews no GIF by Netflix Philippines

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Great all around game, glad to see Paige more aggressive. We will need that going forward. Nika getting valuable PT, thinking she will be good when playing with Paige. ONA still not aggressive enough, doesn't display any emotion like the others. Doesn't seem to show any real strength down low, always loses the ball. Evena solid once again, Free Throws-UGH
Before the season, there were some of us who told the Boneyard that Evina was a really good player and if she was healed, she would be a big factor in UConn's success. She is showing that now.

Reaction Score
You could let your imagination go wild studying Paige's expression in the presser today. Alternates funeral sorrow with blank poker face. I liked that she took ownership of getting her game going too late at Arkansas and she was going to shoot today whether they fell or not. She has the best shot on the team obviously and Geno now has her as a believer. Poor Paige, she thought she was here to pass the ball!
You bet Rocky, have you noticed Paige's shots rarely touch iron. Swish, swish, swish...repeat.

Reaction Score

1. As Geno noted, it is disturbing that the team tends to start slow. We were down 15-8. Christyn hit a three at that point. I think that was a pretty key moment. Our intensity picked up, while DePaul`s started to sag. By the end, DePaul was just hoping the bus was warm.

2. I hope this ends up being a turnaround game for Christyn. She was doing exactly what many of us have hoped for - selective on the threes, and take it hard to the basket. That is really her game. 12-15 is pretty strong evidence.

3. I don`t think anyone has mentioned Evina`s knee. I think she was playing through some level of discomfort today, or perhaps I should say more than usual. I saw her grimacing a bit near the end of the first quarter, and she was subbed out shortly after that. She sat for quite a while (played all 40 the other night), and when she came back in she had some kind of wrap on her knee - I don`t think she had it to start the game. Nevertheless, she gutted it out with a very solid game especially on the boards, 14 rebounds, in 30 minutes.

4. Nika came in very early in the third quarter, around 6:40, for Aubrey. Strange. I replayed it to see if I could figure out why. It sounded like Geno was screaming at Aubrey to move on offense, and if so I think he had a point there, she wasn`t moving in any kind of recognizable offensive flow. Aubrey was back in later, so I don`t think getting subbed out early had anything to do with the whack(s) she took. Nika doesn`t score much and hasn`t gotten a ton of assists, although she had a couple of nice ones today, but when she is in there the ball moves better, it doesn`t get stuck as much, she seems to get it. I also think part of it is that the other guards - Christyn, Evina and Paige - have more room to work. I like her effort and enthusiasm.

6. Listening to the announcers made me realize how lucky we are to have Allen Bestwick and Meghan Culmo. The ones today were determined not to let the game in front of them interrupt their yada, yada, yada conversation. Is the rule now that there can never be a nanosecond of dead air time? I am from the less is more camp, but that camp isn`t getting very many campers any more.

7. I also have no patience for camera shots lingering on the head coaches while the game is going on. I know what Doug Bruno looks like, and I can imagine he would be looking concerned if his team is down 35. Also, I`m fine with their pre-planned little story lines, like on Jewel Loyd, but not when they end up cutting into the game.

8. Finally, I wasn`t going to say anything about Paige because, well, what can I add. Not much. Will simply say that the next four years of UConn basketball are going to be amazing.
Have to agree about the naddering, tell us who did what, who was subbed out (in), who took the shot, who passed to whom, and so on.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

The above is of vital importance. We have little chance against the better teams out there without a solid to good game by Liv.
I’m at that point in the season where l’m looking for consistency from our team and certain players. I won’t mention any names, but I’m particularly concerned about two. Unfortunately we missed a golden opportunity to measure our core players against the elite top 8 teams in Baylor, Mississippi State and Louisville. These are the caliber of teams we will have to play and defeat to just get to that final weekend. All of this year's elite teams can't make the final four. Hearts will be broken, and dreams will be dashed, but home they will go. Look at the current top ten teams. Some very good teams will not make it. UConn could very well be in that number. All they have to do is run into a dark horse like Arkansas who is running "hot straight and normal" (a term used to describe a torpedo that has been launched from a submarine). Only 4 of them will play that final weekend. The others will get sent home before then. Geno has said many times that the hardest game of the tournament is the regional final. You're going to see an elite top 5 team in that game. All of the pretenders and hopefuls will be gone by then.

I expected this team to do well against the teams they’ve played to this point, but it doesn’t tell or indicate to me where we are as a potential top seeded tournament team. I just reviewed our schedule. The only teams we've played that we MIGHT see in the tournament is DePaul and Tennessee, and that would probably be in the first or second weekend. The South Carolina game is it folks. We don't play another top 5 team the remainder of the season.

This is a BIG game!! I want to see who shows up and how well they play. We all know what happened last year against the 3 BIG teams we played. I want to see if history will repeat itself, or have our players grown beyond those tendencies. What a player does against unranked and lower top 25 teams does not tell/show me what they can/will do against the elites. I'm very impressed with Paige. She has proven to this point to be an exceptional player and the leader of this team. But....................I need to see more.

Skip Bayless tells his co-host Shannon Sharp (on their morning TV show "Undisputed" on Fox) "I need to see more" when Shannon is trying to make a point. I want to see certain players do what they've been doing against an elite top 5 team. I fully expect they will, but I need to see it. I'm not that good. I can't tell or assume what a player will do against an elite team by what they've done against unranked teams.

The ultimate goal of this team is to win the national championship. That being said, I'm only concerned about what this team does in the tournament, not conference or OOC play. You don't get any participation rings or trophies for getting close, or losing on a buzzer beater. Remember the words of that noted philosopher Herman Edwards....."Hello, you play........" :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
CW getting the feeling that nobody on DePaul can keep her from getting to the rack. Several excellent takes. Nice backdoor cut and finish. Nice work on the boards. Better defense. Good half! Good closeout in the early 3rd. Explosive takes to the rim and consistent finisher! Although it is easier to do without a rim protector on the other end. Was a monster on the boards a couple time as well. Has some serious hops! Got beat some but hey, the other team has good players too!! Seemed to have a much better sense of urgency with her defense until the last 5-6 minutes of the game. The team played awful defense the last 5-6 minutes of the game. Great game on offense and better on defense. Love the work she did on the boards as well. Can she play the same way against top level teams who have taller players in the post waiting on her when she drives?

Great post, she did it against Baylor last year when they had much taller players. I think she could manage.

Reaction Score
Rewatched the 2nd DePaul game last night with a clearer head and no distractions. What I saw for almost all the game was the UConn of old. Good passing, great chemistry, and good D. CW played like she should as was great. Drive, pop, shoot from outside only when open and post players under the basket just in case. Nika hit cutters and had some excellent passes. ONO has taken real heat on the board, often deserved, but for the most part in this game was very good. She was available inside for easy layups, Passed very well back to arc or to cutters, and rebounded and altered shots. Bast game I've seen from her for a while and maybe forever. If only she would not feel the need to dribble or bring ball down... As someone else pointed out Evina had a great game after sitting early to get a wrap on her knee. The others had good games and did what was expected of them.

Now for Paige..some early shots were not dropping but once the 3 bombs started going off she found her rhythm. I counted 12 assists but could see 2 that might have not been called because of too much action between the pass and the result. Someone wondered why she came back in the game late but that was explained in the post game comments. When Saylor went in she wanted back in so that she could feed Saylor the ball. It worked. I wish those shots would have dropped but it was obvious the went off too quickly give how open she was likely because of nerves and pressure. Another fantastic Paige team first moment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom