DePaul Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

DePaul Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the DePaul game:
  • Interesting graphic showing UConn with the top five FG% shooters in the Big East…..and then the Huskies open the game shooting 20% for the first qtr. Go figure.
  • OK, this is going to be news to absolutely no one: Paige needs to shoot more.
  • Not one of Evina’s most efficient games, but she was a rebounding force with 11 in the 1st half alone and 14 overall.
  • Christyn is so much more effective when she is attacking the basket, like she was today, as opposed to roaming the perimeter.
  • Aubrey with some solid minutes and it appears that Liv picked it up in the 2nd half. Some decent minutes from Aaliyah as well, but I think for all of UConn’s C/F’s consistency has to be the goal right now.
  • Saylor gets her 1st minutes and fires up three shots from the arc. The fact that she missed them all was probably for the best. I could just see the BY discussions now if she had knocked them down. :confused:
  • To my absolute amazement, FOX cut away from the game at halftime to cover a Telethon for the Disabled. Now I absolutely support that great cause, but you have got to be kidding me? So you guys are going to have to fill me in on the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
1612122866341.png

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Plenty to talk about. Some player deficits that aren't going away. Should not be obscured by the score. And lots of joyful noise too. When Saylor came in I'm talking to myself- who is that! Going to watch postgame and talk here later.

Reaction Score
Paige did her thing...I thought she had a few more assists, but great double double against a good DePaul team. Is she one of the most accurate outside shooters we’ve ever had. She’s shooting well above 50%.

CW must have read the BY because she focused a lot more on driving to the hoop. Her best offensive performance by far. I was pleased to see her take less forced jump shots.

ONO should be able to dominate against such short opponents. But we know what we have at this point. I thought AE gave great minutes when ONO was off the floor and looked more poised to not foul.

Westbrook played well again, but had a lot of TOs. Not her best overall game, but her best rebounding game.

Good team win coming off the loss.

Reaction Score
Great game by Williams, I trust her to rise to her expectations by the time she is gone, with some inconsistencies, but things will be better from her. Liv, on the other hand should just shift her dominance to defense, kinda like Stokes. Liv has what it takes in that category. Just be serviceable on offense and don’t hurt us. We looked good. The loss looks to have been a blessing, but I’ll hold my opinion on that til after South Carolina. The freshman ain’t playin, they look like as a whole, they are winners.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
  • Interesting graphic showing UConn with the top five FG% shooters in the Big East…..and then the Huskies open the game shooting 20% for the first qtr. Go figure.
  • Not one of Evina’s most efficient games, but she was a rebounding force with 11 in the 1st half alone and 14 overall.
  • Christyn is so much more effective when she is attacking the basket, like she was today, as opposed to roaming the perimeter.
  • Aubrey with some solid minutes and it appears that Liv picked it up in the 2nd half. Some decent minutes from Aaliyah as well, but I think for all of UConn’s C/F’s consistency has to be the goal right now.
  • Saylor gets her 1st minutes and fires up three shots from the arc. The fact that she missed them all was probably for the best. I could just see the BY discussions now if she had knocked them down. :confused:
  • To my absolute amazement, FOX cut away from the game at halftime to cover a Telethon for the Disabled. Now I absolutely support that great cause, but you have got to be kidding me? So you guys are going to have to fill me in on the 2nd half.
What channel were you watching?:confused:

Reaction Score
The game continued on 1251 on Spectrum. There was a flag at the bottom of the screen.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Nice bounce back game.

The announcers talked about Depaul being rusty after not playing for 10 days (I think they said it in Q3), but that wasn't the problem. They had a great Q1. UCONN just outplayed them. Maybe wore them down a bit. Maybe they got a bit demoralized. Our 3-point shooting was actually better than DePaul's - a shocker I know!!

Paige took 15 shots. YAY. Now go for 20. I liked seeing Nika in the game with her - made Paige more a 2G.

Have to give Christyn props. Best game I've seen from her in a long time. Aggressive to the hoop, and even shot 2-4 from deep. Really nice to see.

The other junior... I've given up on Olivia. Still with the tomahawk chop on blocking. Still with bringing the ball down to her waste and/or dribbling when not necessary, leaving herself open to be stripped. I'm ready to see a lot more of Liya and a lot less of ONO. Olivia is what she is. A decent post player. That is all.

I thought Nika did some really good things. Came in and right away TO, foul, etc. but gathered herself and played well.

SO GLAD to see Aubrey start the 2nd half. I was worried about concussion protocol on her - she got nailed in Q2. I LOVE her energy. She may not do everything perfect, but her improvement has been noticeable, and she brings a scoring pop that is fun to see.

Evina had an off shooting night, but 14 boards - holy crap! Loved the play at the end of Q2 where she stole the inbounds pas and was fouled with .5 left on the clock. I really really hope she comes back next season. She adds SO MUCH to this team, and I'm very concerned about Williams and ONO being the team leaders next season.

Liya has a lot of upside. For all that people worry about our play in the post, SHE is the future.

Piath is getting it. Also, loved seeing Poff in - she's not afraid to shoot, but she looks like she's moving thru molasses at this point. Of course, too small a sample size. Just getting reps is great for her. Had a nice almost steal at half-court.

Overall, a very nice bounceback game. Average Q1, but came on gangbusters in Q2 and Q3. Much better ball movement and movement without the ball...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Paige did her thing...I thought she had a few more assists, but great double double against a good DePaul team. Is she one of the most accurate outside shooters we’ve ever had. She’s shooting well above 50%.

CW must have read the BY because she focused a lot more on driving to the hoop. Her best offensive performance by far. I was pleased to see her take less forced jump shots.

ONO should be able to dominate against such short opponents. But we know what we have at this point. I thought AE gave great minutes when ONO was off the floor and looked more poised to not foul.

Westbrook played well again, but had a lot of TOs. Not her best overall game, but her best rebounding game.

Good team win coming off the loss.
After she got 10 assists she had a passes to Griffin and Ono for layups. She wasn't given an assist for either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom