DePaul Post Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

DePaul Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Call to coaching staff- work with Andre to help him transition into scoring forward. Do drills so he learns how to shot fake, pivot for a shot, take the ball while defended into the lane to shoot a good shot or be fouled, how to seal off defender, maybe how to use backboard more for close shots. I think his confidence will re-grow as he sees a new, more effective part of his game growing. He needs to learn how to shoot a pull-up jumper when in the lane.
One thing I love, though, is when he brings the ball up court , he is across the mid-court line in about 2 seconds.
Yeah, it baffles me to this day he can't do a mid range jumper. He just tries that silly floater. Why haven't the coaches been working with him on this?

Reaction Score
Haven’t seen it mentioned but Samson had good minutes in the 1st half.
Yeah, he played decently and was wondering why he didn't come in for Karaban when in foul trouble. He would of been better than Jackson out there at least for this game.

Reaction Score
Subtle but effective.. Have noticed that Newton and Hawk have been "selling" the refs on getting fouled.. Result--Our two best FT shooters getting to the line with more frequency where they are both money.. Will pay dividends at crunch time in BET/Tournament games.
Hawkins seems to have a knack for getting fouled on 3 point attempts more than anyone I can remember in recent memory. Maybe Shabazz comes to mind?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Serious question - can Sanogo dunk? What’s his vertical?

Hes quicker off the glass. And hes ultra quick with his release. He doesn't have quick twitch explosiveness on the jump. It takes him longer to dunk, and playing deep in the paint a tenth of a second is everything.

Huge example last night. He did try to dunk once, got stuffed, but before anyone can blink he grabbed the ball back and floated one up for a hoop.

I used to want him to dunk everything. He would if he could. He cant. Not in close range play. He is fine dunking on the run.

Reaction Score
Hawkins seems to have a knack for getting fouled on 3 point attempts more than anyone I can remember in recent memory. Maybe Shabazz comes to mind?
Agree with you..They were/are both creative with using their legs to draw fouls/contact while in the shooting motion.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Yeah, he played decently and was wondering why he didn't come in for Karaban when in foul trouble. He would of been better than Jackson out there at least for this game.

Because he didn't really. And he still needs game shape and he gets lost.

It was no coincidence that his run ended after a 20 second sequence where he airballed (by a lot) a wide open 3 where he had more space than what teams give Andre, and then on subsequent defensive possession he ended up with a ball on a steal and we had what would've amounted to a 3-1 break, and he sailed an easy pass into the scorers table. No. We would not have been better off.

I like Samson Johnsons upside potential, I hope he can be a player for us. He has a lot of things going for him, and Im sure at some point this year he will have something to say, but at the same time we've seen him for 2 years now, he didn't play last year (for a reason) and this year he was injured, but he has never shown us anything that would meet the BY's expectations for him during his limited floor minutes. He just may end up doing so someday, but February is not the time to try and break in a player who has never really given you anything hoping that he will turn into DeAndre Daniels overnight. If we were 11-13 instead of 17-6, fine rebuild for next year. We are fighting for a lot of things this year still. You want to experiment?

Reaction Score
Ho hum it’s DePaul moving can’t get a true evaluation from this game.

Reaction Score
Serious question - can Sanogo dunk? What’s his vertical?
can't believe people are still posting this. how many games have you watched this year? how many last year? it's also not that hard to look up. he's dunked the ball 17 times this year, second on the team behind clingan.

he also gave us 25 points tonight on 10/13 while playing out-of-position for a stretch of the game. tough to criticize his performance last night.

Reaction Score
Because he didn't really. And he still needs game shape and he gets lost.

It was no coincidence that his run ended after a 20 second sequence where he airballed (by a lot) a wide open 3 where he had more space than what teams give Andre, and then on subsequent defensive possession he ended up with a ball on a steal and we had what would've amounted to a 3-1 break, and he sailed an easy pass into the scorers table. No. We would not have been better off.

I like Samson Johnsons upside potential, I hope he can be a player for us. He has a lot of things going for him, and Im sure at some point this year he will have something to say, but at the same time we've seen him for 2 years now, he didn't play last year (for a reason) and this year he was injured, but he has never shown us anything that would meet the BY's expectations for him during his limited floor minutes. He just may end up doing so someday, but February is not the time to try and break in a player who has never really given you anything hoping that he will turn into DeAndre Daniels overnight. If we were 11-13 instead of 17-6, fine rebuild for next year. We are fighting for a lot of things this year still. You want to experiment?
It was a real ugly game for AJ and his man went off on offense. I think Johnson's length could of helped out but either way we won. Just glad to see Johnson get some more minutes.

Reaction Score
Haven’t seen it mentioned but Samson had good minutes in the 1st half.
Did he though? Like that airball and turnover? I think it's time to stop thinking he's going to help us and be a part of the rotation -- until he proves something. Maybe he becomes a hilton artmstrong and blossoms late but right now we have too many other guys ahead of him. Don't need a ten man rotation -- need 7 solid and maybe a diarra to play D for 8 minutes. Really wish we'd see more Clingan

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
can't believe people are still posting this. how many games have you watched this year? how many last year? it's also not that hard to look up. he's dunked the ball 17 times this year, second on the team behind clingan.

he also gave us 25 points tonight on 10/13 while playing out-of-position for a stretch of the game. tough to criticize his performance last night.
Yea obviously I know he can dunk. You say 17 like the player who gets the most time at 5 having 17 dunks over 20+ games isn’t low.

And yes, I know he gave us 25 points tonight. I didn’t say anywhere that his performance was poor or we weren’t getting production out of him.

Doesn’t mean it’s not baffling that the dude barely dunks the basketball. It’s a glaring hole in his game.

Reaction Score

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
No reason why can't plat two bigs going forward

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members