DePaul and the Big East | Page 2 | The Boneyard

DePaul and the Big East

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Some may recall that years ago Temple was kicked out of the Big East as an affiliate football member due to not meeting requirements/support the league has set.

I don't think it's such a crazy question to evaluate DePaul - even as a full member - under a similar lense.

This is Depaul's 19th season in the Big East and their membership has been nothing short of an abomination.

18 completed seasons have yielded:

-1 NIT bid
-1 season with a winning conference record
-7 last place finishes
-Have 3 conference wins or less in 11 of 17 seasons
-Total win loss of 66 and 255 (21%)
-0 fan support or buzz

This program will have the same media distribution from the Big East as UConn?

I've been against expansion because I enjoy the round robin.. but it's about time we boot these losers and get Gonzaga, Dayton, or St. Louis...anyone with a pulse.
But, but, but… DePaul brings the Chicago market!

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
As some others have said earlier in this thread, I feel like DePaul has potential and I think they recently upgrades facilities(I might be confusing them with somebody else)? Regardless, they are in a what should be fertile recruiting but can't seem to get out of their own way. I'd like to think there's a coach out there who is right for the job and could get it done, but I have no idea who that would be lol

Reaction Score
The only people that will decide if DePaul leaves the BE is the DePaul administration, and that ain’t happening

Any team in their situation is the right hires away from relevance. I’m not sure how the upper office is, but it seems Stubblefield is not that guy on the court

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
The only people that will decide if DePaul leaves the BE is the DePaul administration, and that ain’t happening

Any team in their situation is the right hires away from relevance. I’m not sure how the upper office is, but it seems Stubblefield is not that guy on the court
Agree with being one hire away. Honestly, in today's age of the transfer portal and NIL etc., I feel like any school could become competitive/relevant with the right coaching staff

Reaction Score
The entire reason for adding Rutgers, cable boxes in New Jersey and New York, is going to be relevant for about another 2 to 3 years, and then there is no reason for Rutgers to be in the Big 10.
Why do you say that it’s only going to matter for a few more years?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Every single high major conference team that stinks is "one hire away". You could say that about literally any moribund program.

It's not even that they've been bad in the sense that St. John's, Seton Hall, and Providence were bad in 16 team Big East, they haven't even been competitive for nearly 20 years and didn't even rise up a bit once the big dog left and let the aforementioned little guys have nice runs.

Reaction Score
Some may recall that years ago Temple was kicked out of the Big East as an affiliate football member due to not meeting requirements/support the league has set.

I don't think it's such a crazy question to evaluate DePaul - even as a full member - under a similar lense.

This is Depaul's 19th season in the Big East and their membership has been nothing short of an abomination.

18 completed seasons have yielded:

-1 NIT bid
-1 season with a winning conference record
-7 last place finishes
-Have 3 conference wins or less in 11 of 17 seasons
-Total win loss of 66 and 255 (21%)
-0 fan support or buzz

This program will have the same media distribution from the Big East as UConn?

I've been against expansion because I enjoy the round robin.. but it's about time we boot these losers and get Gonzaga, Dayton, or St. Louis...anyone with a pulse.
Don't knock it. Two practice games per season is a nice benefit in a conference that otherwise has ZERO letup.

Reaction Score
When Northwestern gets booted from the Big 10, the Big East will write a check to bring them aboard.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Imagine what other teams were saying about UConn in 1985.
We were 6-10 in the league and only 3 years removed from 4 straight seasons of post season play. We stunk, but nothing like this.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
old-rusty-turntable.gif

My bad. I thought this was a UConn board, not a Rutgers board.

Reaction Score
Don't knock it. Two practice games per season is a nice benefit in a conference that otherwise has ZERO letup.
that's what OOC cupcakes are for.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
While this is nice message board banter, it is ridiculously unlikely.

I doubt there is a current mechanism within the conference to dismiss a program but if there were, it likely would require a super majority of votes.

We know that DePaul won't vote themselves out. I imagine that any school that recruits Chicago (Marquette, Butler, probably Creighton & Xavier) wants them in the conference and any school that may fear they could be next would never vote someone out.

Reaction Score
I know Marquette is successful but perhaps being in the middle of B1G country is a problem. The Big East "East" has it's own footprint and frankly SJU and Georgetown should be doing a lot better too. One thing St. Louis would do is bring another regional rival to the "West" division and I know the Billikens aren't exactly on fire but a rising tide and all. DePaul clearly needs to find a new coach, no question.

Reaction Score
10 million customers a year are cutting the cord.
I wanted to cut the cord because my Comcast bill was absurd. I went in to talk to them and what they were offering was a deal on bundling TV, Internet, and cell service plus they gave me a free Samsung phone. That knocked my bills way down. Cutting the cord probably wouldn't have saved me any money, it's far more of a pain in the arse and I still would've been missing some things I watch.

I always thought cable TV would be dead but they seem to be getting more competitive and when you go a la carte it adds up.

Reaction Score
I know Marquette is successful but perhaps being in the middle of B1G country is a problem. The Big East "East" has it's own footprint and frankly SJU and Georgetown should be doing a lot better too. One thing St. Louis would do is bring another regional rival to the "West" division and I know the Billikens aren't exactly on fire but a rising tide and all. DePaul clearly needs to find a new coach, no question.
Minus DePaul our Midwest teams are a big reason the Big East is still a top basketball conference. Obviously UConn and Nova carry the biggest load but Xavier, Marquette, Creighton and even Butler have carried their weight.

Reaction Score
They might not be getting Tv from verizon or the cable co…but they r getting it from Hulu, YT tv or another. Those companies still pay the B1G. I’ve had Hulu for a few years…it has Acc and B1G networks so they r getting paid.

Reaction Score
I wanted to cut the cord because my Comcast bill was absurd. I went in to talk to them and what they were offering was a deal on bundling TV, Internet, and cell service plus they gave me a free Samsung phone. That knocked my bills way down. Cutting the cord probably wouldn't have saved me any money, it's far more of a pain in the arse and I still would've been missing some things I watch.

I always thought cable TV would be dead but they seem to be getting more competitive and when you go a la carte it adds up.
100% Cable is stepping it up, Vinyl records are big business, and DePaul can for certain put together a winning program. Can't see feeling strongly about kicking them out either. We've won 4 Nattys with Depaul in our conference and 1 with East Carolina. It wouldn't matter to us either way.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
You guys do realize that when they say "cutting the cord" they are talking about getting rid of old school cable (Comcast, Spectrum, AT&T. etc.) but those people are just replacing that with streaming cable (YouTube TV, Hulu, Fubu, Sling, etc.)...

I think there has been a real misconception of what cutting the cord means. Networks that air sports we watch are still getting paid to have their programming carried. That's why even though cable subs are down nearly 40%, viewership of the money making sport (CFB) is UP 28% over the past 5 years.

Reaction Score
You guys do realize that when they say "cutting the cord" they are talking about getting rid of old school cable (Comcast, Spectrum, AT&T. etc.) but those people are just replacing that with streaming cable (YouTube TV, Hulu, Fubu, Sling, etc.)...

I think there has been a real misconception of what cutting the cord means. Networks that air sports we watch are still getting paid to have their programming carried. That's why even though cable subs are down nearly 40%, viewership of the money making sport (CFB) is UP 28% over the past 5 years.
Exactly...the only thing that will impact this is a-la-carte pricing. And that won't happen for a long time, or ever since the ABCs, etc will fight all the way...Verizon tried to offer that a few years ago and espn sued them...that option went away immediately

Reaction Score
Minus DePaul our Midwest teams are a big reason the Big East is still a top basketball conference. Obviously UConn and Nova carry the biggest load but Xavier, Marquette, Creighton and even Butler have carried their weight.
I agree but it might help if there were 1 or 2 other programs in that region because the B1G really dominates that area. Duquesne, Dayton, St. Louis are in the region but not likely to be added.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Exactly...the only thing that will impact this is a-la-carte pricing. And that won't happen for a long time, or ever since the ABCs, etc will fight all the way...Verizon tried to offer that a few years ago and espn sued them...that option went away immediately
But to the original point, I do also think that the value a school like Rutgers brings is less because as everyone moves to streaming they no longer bring the “market box subscribers” since everyone on YouTube TV gets access to BTN (and other conference networks). Which is why conferences are focusing on brands (because they just care about total viewers, regardless of where they are from).

So the question soon goes from, “if we kick out Rutgers, we lose how many BTN cable subscribers?” to “if we kick out Rutgers, we lose how many BTN viewers?”

Edit: with that said, Rutgers football actually had respectable viewership last season with nearly 1M viewers per game, 45th in the country

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This reminds me of the “Don’t sleep on Richie Springs” post that ran for like 3 years. Every year Richie was going to have a breakout season. Every year he barely got off the bench. He is now playing at QU. I don’t know how much he plays there. He came off the bench for a few minutes in the 1 game I saw. Nice kid. Dedicated. Just not that good. One might say something similar about DePaul.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom