Deon Sanders | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Deon Sanders

Reaction Score
Sheesh I didn't know Bo made the All Star team.

Crazy how many guys really played both baseball and another sport back in the day.
Some people are just blessed with so much talent. Danny Ainge played both in the NBA and MLB baseball and was also High School All-American in football.

Then you have UConn players like Burrell who played minor league baseball along with the NBA. And going back, Walt Dropo was drafted by the Bears and an early form of the NBA but played first base for the Red Sox.

The most unbelievable to me was Jim Thorpe however. Olympic gold medal winner as well as pro baseball and football. I remember reading that he was even a ballroom dance champion.

Even the rifleman Chuck Connors played in both MLB and NBA.

But Bo was something special until he was injured. Who could forget those "Bo Knows" commercials where he had Gretzky shaking his head?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
enjoy him while you can CU, once shadeur goes pro after 3 seasons, deion will leave for a prime time program job
He already did that years ago. Left it to get back into coaching. I don't think he's going back to TV.

Reaction Score
He was a bust as a baseball player and not much better as a football player (wont call him a bust at that though, maybe just not worthy of the hype?) but he is a primetime self marketer, and Im seriously when I say that counts as something.
This is one of the craziest takes in BY history. Deion is fun. 2 games in and Colorado is already the best story in cfb. There's loads of people who wanna see him win, and just as many who wanna see him fail. That's the formula for an entertaining storyline.

Reaction Score
Never did I think I'd be excited to turn on Colorado football on a Saturday. Wasn't much of a college football fan prior to watching TCU game. Minus Rodgers injury last night, Deion and Buffalos are biggest story in sports.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's an entertaining story and typical of the "flash" that PrimeTime has shown his entire life. That said, it's not a sustainable system or program. He's a snake oil salesman. He rolls into town, sells his show, gets everyone excited then moves onto the next town. Enjoy the ride here though. Wu Tang Clan on the sidelines in the home opener? T.O. on the sidelines? It's only getting bigger from here this season.

But that’s what coaches do.

Get a job, win, move up. Get a job, win, move up.

I still think it has the chance to end horribly, but I can’t help but be impressed at what they’ve done through two games…they were complete ass last year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He was a bust as a baseball player and not much better as a football player (wont call him a bust at that though, maybe just not worthy of the hype?) but he is a primetime self marketer, and Im seriously when I say that counts as something.

This is crazy.

In 1992 he batted over .300 for the year and led the NL in Triples. Batted over .500 in the World Series too and still made a pro bowl that year after missing the first 4 games of the season.

He's probably the best two sport athlete ever.

This is also crazy, but from the other side of the hill.

Reaction Score
Some people are just blessed with so much talent. Danny Ainge played both in the NBA and MLB baseball and was also High School All-American in football.

Then you have UConn players like Burrell who played minor league baseball along with the NBA. And going back, Walt Dropo was drafted by the Bears and an early form of the NBA but played first base for the Red Sox.

The most unbelievable to me was Jim Thorpe however. Olympic gold medal winner as well as pro baseball and football. I remember reading that he was even a ballroom dance champion.

But Bo was something special until he was injured. Who could forget those "Bo Knows" commercials where he had Gretzky shaking his head?
Dave Winfield was drafted by the Atlanta Hawks and the Minnesota Vikings.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
He was a great corner, Id grant that. Maybe I overstated, I was thinking about his hype machine forays into every other spot on the field.

He was the Ali of football when it came to self promotion/hype. It's pretty easy to prove you're the best in an individual sport. Sanders could have put up Tom Brady numbers and still not lived up to his own hype. He would have been perfect as a college player in the NIL era.

Reaction Score
Deion is a perfect example of the buzz the right football hire can have on a university. Ticket sales through the roof, non stop attention from the media. Tye AD there had to get donors on board to raise the money to hire him, its worked out. If it was a disaster from the jump the AD would never survive it.

Reaction Score
there was no way it was going to be a disaster... Deion doesn't like to lose... And he demands A TON from his players/coaches... Now, with the help of big time donors backing the program, the rest of the P5 schools that always stood on top better watch out...

Reaction Score
Probably, but the fact of this accomplishment that makes him the GOAT of men's professional tennis is the point.

Also, his winning the tie-break in the 1.75 hour 2nd set was something to behold. Had he lost that, all bets were off if he could go the distance of a 4 or 5 set match.
Joker is Goat of all tennis!

Reaction Score

I think Bo might be greatest athlete we’ve seen in past 50 years if not 100. You could probably put him in any sport and he’d be elite level with practice.

Reaction Score
I think Bo might be greatest athlete we’ve seen in past 50 years if not 100. You could probably put him in any sport and he’d be elite level with practice.
I'd give you 50, but Jim Brown was the greatest in the last 100 years. The GOAT in lacrosse, played basketball, baseball, and ran track at Cuse, at a very high level. Bo was awesome but he did get hurt and you have to count durability too if you're gonna call someone the goat.
If there was media in Jim Brown's day, they'd be no question.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Coach Prime was an amazing athlete but his two greatest attributes are self-promotion and procreation. His son is lights out at QB. I hope Colorado wins because is adds entropy to the college football system. Any chaos disrupts the football status quo, which helps UCONN. Let's go Buffs!

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I'd give you 50, but Jim Brown was the greatest in the last 100 years. The GOAT in lacrosse, played basketball, baseball, and ran track at Cuse, at a very high level. Bo was awesome but he did get hurt and you have to count durability too if you're gonna call someone the goat.
If there was media in Jim Brown's day, they'd be no question.
I put myself up there as the greatest athlete of the past 100 years too for beer pong. No media for that either!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’d be rooting for him if he was bringing us with him to the Big12.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Lots of back peddling goin on in the post game presser

Reaction Score
Just saw the Oregon coaches pregame speech. "They're fighting for clicks we're fighting for wins". How prophetic.

Reaction Score
I like Deion, he doesn’t bother me and I was all for the start he had with the buffaloes. But this was coming and if you didn’t see it you bought in too hard. They’re talented but Oregon is for real. Back to earth!

Reaction Score
Just saw the Oregon coaches pregame speech. "They're fighting for clicks we're fighting for wins". How prophetic.
I also liked his statement "we talk with our pads, with our helmets".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom