Deleone | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Deleone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The words "high-octane" may have been ill-chosen, but an example would be Texas Tech last year (5-7), who finished 22nd in the nation in total offense. They put up more than 34 points in 8 games last season!! And still found a way to lose 7 games...

I bet they still sold more tickets than us.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I bet they still sold more tickets than us.

Perhaps, but in Lubbock, all there is to do is to watch football and....well, watch football....

Reaction Score
Changes need to be made but I don't believe it will be until the end of the year. In regards to the attendance, the fans in the State have never supported the State U. I've been a ticket holder since the start at the Rent, and the fans have always come late and left early no matter who we play. Today's game was a quality team and the stadium attendance was very disappointing. Do you think we'll ever sell out another game at the Rent? Michigan comes next year? How sad would it be if Michigan took over the stadium? I would expect more Michigan fans the State U fans after today's showing. Imagine if they banned or limited tailgating in the parking lots? I'm not even sure what percentage we would lose. Sad :(

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Changes need to be made but I don't believe it will be until the end of the year. In regards to the attendance, the fans in the State have never supported the State U. I've been a ticket holder since the start at the Rent, and the fans have always come late and left early no matter who we play. Today's game was a quality team and the stadium attendance was very disappointing. Do you think we'll ever sell out another game at the Rent? Michigan comes next year? How sad would it be if Michigan took over the stadium? I would expect more Michigan fans the State U fans after today's showing. Imagine if they banned or limited tailgating in the parking lots? I'm not even sure what percentage we would lose. Sad :(

I'm guessing that the Michigan game will be sold out (even if it is due to about 6k of their fans). This problem goes back to before UConn was even 1-A. I'll mention a little pro team in Hartford called "The Whalers" that drew extremely well in years where they were good (i.e., 86 when they won the Adams Division), but for most of the years struggled to fill the building unless the Bruins were in town.

I was hoping that the state's love affair with the BBall teams was going to translate well to football, and to some degree it has, but I think that people treat it much more like a town fair than a college football event. I brought two of my friends to the UConn-USF game last year (they happened to be Florida Gator fans from Fla that wanted to see a Big East game). Even though I thought the stadium was loud and well-attended, their comment to me at halftime was, "Is it always this 'tame'?" Yeah, I guess we aren't "The Swamp"...

Reaction Score
Perhaps, but in Lubbock, all there is to do is to watch football and....well, watch football....

That's not a valid excuse. It's difficult to fill a stadium when the fans are convinced that the product will be disappointing.

The athletic dept sells the tickets but Pasqualoni controls the product. If he can't deliver a good product then it becomes a tough sell.

Reaction Score
Why can't Deleone go do what all the other old farts do in CT hang around Mcdonald's drinking a senior coffee instead of "coaching" our offense and oline.
I know older people require naps but "Snooozzzzze ball" has to go before the season is lost.

Reaction Score
Ask our friends at Syracuse how exciting their fanbase thougth it was when they lost to NW 42-41...
It was very exciting - after a decade + of crap, boring, try to shorten the game offense uder P&D, the GRob and then most of the time under Marrone it was very exciting seeing the team put up 600 yards against a BCS team.

Reaction Score
It was very exciting - after a decade + of crap, boring, try to shorten the game offense uder P&D, the GRob and then most of the time under Marrone it was very exciting seeing the team put up 600 yards against a BCS team.

Scoring sells. This is the northeast. Lots of people, lots of teams and lots of entertainment options. You want a loud, sold out stadium? Put some ducking points on the board.

Reaction Score
Scoring sells. This is the northeast. Lots of people, lots of teams and lots of entertainment options. You want a loud, sold out stadium, put some ducking points on the board.

This. But for some reason, people still think that in the northeast to be successful, you have run an offense that was state of the art during the Carter Administration, and play football like it's November when it is 80 degrees in early September.

Reaction Score
Scoring sells. This is the northeast. Lots of people, lots of teams and lots of entertainment options. You want a loud, sold out stadium, put some ducking points on the board.

Is that how Snookie U put 50k in High Point versus FCS MEAC powerhouse Howard University today.(I know - take swings @ announced attendance versus bodies in the buildind but no different than us).

Reaction Score
HEY! Heres a genius idea! Let's run the defense out there on both sides of the ball and let trevardo sio and yawin take turns running it up the gut.

Reaction Score
Is that how Snookie U put 50k in High Point versus FCS MEAC powerhouse Howard University today.(I know - take swings @ announced attendance versus bodies in the buildind but no different than us).

First home game for a new coach in the most densely populated state.

Reaction Score
1. The offense is a high school offense. LAst year I felt it was becasue Johnny Mac had never really played and wasn't the brightest bulb and they needed to keep it to offense 101. This year, a new QB and the passing schemes are what teams ran in the 90s. There is little motion to get players isolated, there is no timing or sync to get a QB in rhythm and the blitzers to think twice about responsibilities. Its hard to watch
2. the o-line is tgerrible. not much that needs to be said here, but the two guards were atrocious today
3. the attendance today sucked. Honestly, its tough to watch and root for this team. its been basically the same crap for 8 years. stout D and high school offense. its a tough sell to watch a team punt 10 times every game

Reaction Score
First home game for a new coach in the most densely populated state.

C'mon weak... Care to venture a guess on how many we drew for Pasqualoni's first game @ UConn - which was the first game after we went to Fiesta Bowl? 34k against Fordham.

Reaction Score
Seriously, we have to argue why Rutgers outdraws UConn for a crappy football game? Both are the flagship state U and both are geographically small. New Jersey has 2.5 times as many people as CT. The buzz around Rutgers is better. They recruit higher ranked players and show more promise heading into the season.

Again, score some points and make the people that watched on tv wish they were there. Create a buzz by playing good, entertaining football.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

Well then! I stand corrected. I hope you continue to enjoy a lot of exciting 42-41 losses in your future! Cheers...

Reaction Score
Scoring sells. This is the northeast. Lots of people, lots of teams and lots of entertainment options. You want a loud, sold out stadium? Put some ducking points on the board.

Been saying that for years.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I honestly wonder what goes through Deleone's head sometimes. We are getting outmuscled up front all day, but let's keep running our undersized tailback between the tackles all game. I could live with draws and traps up the middle as a change of pace, but we were just running right at them. You would have thought that Deleone would have realized that it wasn't working.

We ran a handlful of bubble screens, and NC State had to make a great individual play to stop the one that didn't work. Why not make the defense cover sideline to sideline? There was no effort to try to isolate defenders in the passing game. McCoombs is a decent back, but he is not a pound it up the middle back, which is how he is being used.

The difference between Deleone and Ambrose and the old Edsall OC's is that I think Edsall's OC's realized when their offense wasn't working. I think Deleone thinks things are fine.

Reaction Score
It's really not that complicated gentlemen. For all the crap the old regime took, they recognized that if you didn't have a dynamic offense, then the first thing you had to do was not turn the ball over. We seem to want to hope that we will be dynamic this year, rather than be careful with the football.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
It's really not that complicated gentlemen. For all the crap the old regime took, they recognized that if you didn't have a dynamic offense, then the first thing you had to do was not turn the ball over. We seem to want to hope that we will be dynamic this year, rather than be careful with the football.
I think our problems with being careful with the football all begin and end at quarterback. Other than the flea flicker, the play calls were conservative.

Reaction Score

Ahhh yes. Running the Edsall draw play from 3rd and long because he knew the other team was thinking: "nobody would call a play that stupid when down four with three minutes left". Good times.

Reaction Score
9 hrs since the game has been over & like many here i'm still ripping about the offense.
sacramento st puts up 30 & beats colorado at home
la-monroe puts up 34 & beats #8 arkansas at home
southern utah puts up 31 at california
air force puts 25 at michigan & had a chance to win at the end
n dakota st beats colorado st at their place 22-7
ball state puts up 27 at clemson
our defense gave the O great field position and all we get is 7 points. seeing that i don't drink, the only way i'm gonna get to sleep is if an anvil falls on my head.....

Reaction Score
You could wipe your ass for a decade with all of Deleone's wallpaper.

Reaction Score

I'm sure it was.......kind of sucks when you can't wait to get the defense back on the field hoping for someone to make a play.......41 against MW and 29 against USC, I'm thinking those "Cuse is awful" posts early last week may be a bit premature. At least their offense has some life, not run-wildcat run-pass, punt - repeat.........Deleone is awful and that defense deserves some better offense......I think the Huskies defense can play against anyone as they are fast and close on on plays relentlessly. Too bad they were really good against a team who racked up over 400 yds vs Tennessee......really really good!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom