Delany on East Coast pre-expansion push: espn | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Delany on East Coast pre-expansion push: espn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know this has been answered before, but about the hockey decision, UConn was talking with Bertagna and Hockey East over a decade ago about joining. Why now?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
upstater said:
I know this has been answered before, but about the hockey decision, UConn was talking with Bertagna and Hockey East over a decade ago about joining. Why now?
I think ND joining opened a spot up for new membership to maintain an even number.

Reaction Score
Happened to see this post on the WVU board. A poster with second-hand "insider info" says that Cornell and the Big Ten have been in talks for partial membership.

Interestingly enough that post brought a response from our old friend, BuffaloLion

Gopher. Let me just say that something is definitely up. There are a LOT of moving parts right now, and something is going to happen in the next 60 days. That's coming right from the horses mouth.

Whether he meant actually adding teams or not, I'm not sure. His actual quote at breakfast on Monday in NYCity was something like "Big things are brewing for the League out East. Expect more news in the next 60 days".

I know Cornell would give their right nut to be in the Big Ten, and I know they have been in contact. In fact, I understand they aren't the only Ivy League school we've been in contact with.

I also know that Delany and FOX would love to grab UConn. UConn has a 27 month exit clause which would require them to give notice by April 1, 2015 to get clearance by July 1, 2017 (the first year of the new TV contract).

How would Delany and FOX get the Presidents to vote for a non-AAU, but academically respected University (US News rank - 57) whose State Government is incredibly supportive of the University's research and development efforts? Maybe teaming it up with an AAU, Land Grant Ivy in New York with an outstanding Hockey team (2 NCAA Championships), outstanding wrestling team (NCAA Runner up to Iowa in 2010 and Penn State in 2011), and outstanding lacrosse team (3 NCAA Championships)? Who knows? We may find out pretty soon.

As I said. LOTS of moving parts right now, a lot of which are happening as we speak right here in Buffalo (possibility of a new NFL stadium being built ON campus). I could write all night about all the stuff going on. But just remember Delany's quote concerning the Northeast:

"We don't just want to visit here. We want to live here".

The next couple of months could be interesting. Stay tuned.
biggrin.gif

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
The idea that Cornell would bolt for the B1G in a hot minute if an invitation was made seems like the kind of insane statement that could only be made in earnest on a WVU message board.....but if any Ivy would want to get out the least Iviest Ivy would make sense (land grant, not a Colonial College, ummm has the only traditional non-scatter marching band in the Ivy League.) Of course WVU posters have a tradition of making predictions on the basis of isolated facts (FSU is unhappy in the ACC--true! FSU is joining the Big 12 in three months or whatever--not true.) But if you're going to leave the best academic brand in college sports the only reasonable destination in the best academic brand in big time college sports. At least it's interesting and fairly novel message board conference realignment nonsense...

Reaction Score

When Notre Dame joined to be #11, Hockey East was not interested at maintaining themselves at that number for very long. UConn perceived that their window of opportunity would not last much longer (anything higher than 12 is very unwieldy for "traditional" hockey scheduling).

Reaction Score
The idea that Cornell would bolt for the B1G in a hot minute if an invitation was made seems like the kind of insane statement that could only be made in earnest on a WVU message board.....but if any Ivy would want to get out the least Iviest Ivy would make sense (land grant, not a Colonial College, ummm has the only traditional non-scatter marching band in the Ivy League.) Of course WVU posters have a tradition of making predictions on the basis of isolated facts (FSU is unhappy in the ACC--true! FSU is joining the Big 12 in three months or whatever--not true.) But if you're going to leave the best academic brand in college sports the only reasonable destination in the best academic brand in big time college sports. At least it's interesting and fairly novel message board conference realignment nonsense...
That also makes us officially contiguous.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Do any other UConn fans shudder when they hear "affiliate" or "partial" member?
Depends on the numbers, but unless it was a ridiculous deal (ie the one we currently have) I'd gratefully take whatever crumb they chose to bestow upon us.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Anyone who creates a scenario involving UConn and an affiliate membership in anything should be put into restraints and bludgeoned with their keyboard.

Of all the dopey theories developed here, those stand out for the audacity of their dopiness. (Although, I have to say that the Cornell-to-the-Big Ten talk is a threat to the crown.)

Reaction Score
While the B1G may be second to the Ivy League, I still have a very hard time seeing an Ivy League school leave for the B1G. Especially considering the Midwest has been declining.

Reaction Score
While the B1G may be second to the Ivy League, I still have a very hard time seeing an Ivy League school leave for the B1G. Especially considering the Midwest has been declining.

I don't think the Ivy League would even care about that. They're not looking at themselves as being 'regional' entities.

Oh, and for the record, the Midwest as a whole is not declining. It's growing just like every other region in the country. The growth just isn't as rapid right now as the South or other areas.

Reaction Score
I could certainly see the Ivy League hockey schools bolting for the B1g en masse. Would the Ivies rather be associated w/ UM, UW and other prominent public institutions or with St. Lawrence, Clarkson, RPI, Quinipiac, Colgate from the ECAC? Add Ivy lacrosse, and selective wrestling programs and there is a fit.

I always looked at the Hockey upgrade by UConn as a positive w/ the B1G, but Delany may have bigger plans.

Reaction Score
Let's make this simple
The B1G is not going after any non flag ship school
In the East there are only 3 remaining flagships playing FSB , UConn,UV,and UNC,

Any talk of further eastern expansion ,by the process of elimination would include these schools. If you believe the iron clad nature of the GOR ,who does that leave?
UConn
Don't forget UMass. Or Buffalo. Just saying.
B1G and ACC are going in different directions, the GOR is not iron-clad, and I wouldn't be surprised to see UNC or UVA make a move for long-term success. The "4 schools in North Carolina" model will hold the ACC back.
Interesting: Texas has 3 flagship U's: Texas, Texas A&M and North Texas.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anyone who creates a scenario involving UConn and an affiliate membership in anything should be put into restraints and bludgeoned with their keyboard.

Of all the dopey theories developed here, those stand out for the audacity of their dopiness. (Although, I have to say that the Cornell-to-the-Big Ten talk is a threat to the crown.)

The Cincinnati to the B1G rumor is up there, too. BC has been stabbing UConn in the back with a knife with respect to conference realignment efforts. Ohio State would drop a nuke on Cincinnati if they even tried to get into the B1G.

Reaction Score
I could certainly see the Ivy League hockey schools bolting for the B1g en masse. Would the Ivies rather be associated w/ UM, UW and other prominent public institutions or with St. Lawrence, Clarkson, RPI, Quinipiac, Colgate from the ECAC? Add Ivy lacrosse, and selective wrestling programs and there is a fit.

I always looked at the Hockey upgrade by UConn as a positive w/ the B1G, but Delany may have bigger plans.

Out of the ECAC, academically, RPI is at least on the same page as the Ivy League; but, they are smaller and lack a medical college which most Ivy Leagues have. Colgate is also a very strong school; but, it’s a liberal arts school. So, an alliance with the B1G academically makes sense, see U Chicago and now Johns Hopkins.

US News National Research Universities– 1) Princeton, 2) Harvard, 3) Yale, 4) Columbia, 5) U Chicago,* 7) U Penn, 10) Dartmouth, 12) Johns Hopkins,* 14) Brown, 16) Cornell, 41) RPI, 121) Clarkson

US News National Liberal Arts Universities– 20) Colgate, 41) Union, 56) St. Lawrence

US News Regional Universities , North– 11) Quinnipiac

Reaction Score
The Cincinnati to the B1G rumor is up there, too. BC has been stabbing UConn in the back with a knife with respect to conference realignment efforts. Ohio State would drop a nuke on Cincinnati if they even tried to get into the B1G.

I don't understand how bc has that kind of clout. They're bad at almost everything. I have to think that a lot of ACC schools are wondering if they could just swap bc out for UConn.

Reaction Score

The only bolting anyone from the Ivy League is doing from the ECAC is to form an Ivy hockey league.

The idea of Brown or Princeton being actual viable B1G hockey candidates is undeniably laughable on its face. I mean, literally as much of a non-starter as AIC or Bentley being B1G candidates.

Reaction Score

I think people would be shocked to know that at, especially Yale and Harvard, significant alumni types question as to why their Institutions can't return to the "glory day" of Football? So far, nothing has ever come of it. Probably, never will. But I stopped believing in anything being impossible when Gretzky got traded.

Reaction Score

The Big Ten has absolutely no interest in Cincinnati. If the Big Ten were ever to relax its academic standards, it's going to do it for someone out of region who has a national profile. At least someone like Pitt is a research giant. Cincinnati is bordering on being a commuter school.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't really pay attention to these things, but I actually think Cincinnati is a well-regarded research university - they would be in the first cut of schools with AAU aspirations.

Reaction Score
The Big Ten has absolutely no interest in Cincinnati. If the Big Ten were ever to relax its academic standards, it's going to do it for someone out of region who has a national profile. At least someone like Pitt is a research giant. Cincinnati is bordering on being a commuter school.

Cincinnati actually puts up some pretty good numbers on the research front. It's a moot point though since tOSU will never let them in.

Reaction Score

Wrestling, Hockey, and Lacrosse are all sports that could be integrated into the conference outright as associate members or be involved in a scheduling alliance. They could fill many hours of programming on The BTN and possibly other Fox Based Networks.

The question of why would the Ivies want to join forces with a Midwest Conference doesn't hold much water IMO. I don't think anyone is going to look down on a Harvard Education because their Hockey Team is suddenly playing hockey against Minnesota. If in the process these universities' ADs can put some decent coin in their coffers from the TV end, what's the harm? No one is advocating that they alter their identity, but why not make a few more dollars a year on the sports of which they are already competing at a high level?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cincinnati actually puts up some pretty good numbers on the research front. It's a moot point though since tOSU will never let them in.

True. Cincy has a lot of respectable graduate programs. Moreover, it's one funky cool campus, at least for an urban one.

Cincy has dealt with a lot of de-urbanization over the past 40 years, but those folks generally stayed in the metro & now things are starting to rebound in the urban core. It's got rough patches, but it's my favorite city in Ohio & it's a pretty decent sports town. Ciny is a crossroads culture as well - a gateway to the northern South & a great hs football-basketball area. But a lot of those kids aren't necessarily putting OSU at the top of their list anymore. For example, Ky football has been making a living on this area's recruits the past two years.

Reaction Score
Wrestling, Hockey, and Lacrosse are all sports that could be integrated into the conference outright as associate members or be involved in a scheduling alliance. They could fill many hours of programming on The BTN and possibly other Fox Based Networks.

The question of why would the Ivies want to join forces with a Midwest Conference doesn't hold much water IMO. I don't think anyone is going to look down on a Harvard Education because their Hockey Team is suddenly playing hockey against Minnesota. If in the process these universities' ADs can put some decent coin in their coffers from the TV end, what's the harm? No one is advocating that alter their identity, just make a few more dollars a year on the sports that they are already competing at a high level.

Some good points. but we all need to remember that 3 big schools in the East are now part of the BIG, one since 1991 and the Midwest-Northeast have historically deep culturally ties, esp in education. A lot of BIG fans have overlooked the fact that the 2017 DC BIG tourney is actually not that far of a road trip for OSU, likely less than 7 hours and the Indiana and Michigan schools can get to DC in less than 10 hours, the Mi schools in less than 9 - that's more than half the BIG capable of getting to DC in less than 10 hours drive time. The Rust Belt Midwest and Northeast have more in common than we often see on these boards - I'd say more than the Corn Belt & Rust Belt Midwest.

We all have a tendency of overrating regional differences on here.

Reaction Score

Leagues which the B1G already has, or has recently started. Other than Johns Hopkins men's lax (who it turned out they did, in fact, need), the B1G doesn't NEED more teams.
In fact, they *lose* valuable games between their marquee names just to bring on new talent.

The question of why would the Ivies want to join forces with a Midwest Conference doesn't hold much water IMO. I don't think anyone is going to look down on a Harvard Education because their Hockey Team is suddenly playing hockey against Minnesota. If in the process these universities' ADs can put some decent coin in their coffers from the TV end, what's the harm? No one is advocating that they alter their identity, but why not make a few more dollars a year on the sports of which they are already competing at a high level?

...Because the Ivy League is, perhaps, the one league that gives LESS THAN A about how much coin their athletic programs as an aggregate bring in. You can't tempt them with something they don't want.

Reaction Score
Leagues which the B1G already has, or has recently started. Other than Johns Hopkins men's lax (who it turned out they did, in fact, need), the B1G doesn't NEED more teams.
In fact, they *lose* valuable games between their marquee names just to bring on new talent.

There's enough room in both Hockey and Lax to accomodate more members - it just means that they'll need to have fewer OOC games or lose the second home-home games for hockey.

Not that I think this discussion will actually go anywhere - but scheduling concerns around Olympic sports won't be a factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom