Dec 29, 2015-RIP UConn Big Men | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dec 29, 2015-RIP UConn Big Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
texas is not that good imo, miller should have his way vs their lackluster forwards.

three things id like from the front court; more looks for miller , less turnovers/fouls from AB + facey + miller(fouls), and just way better screen setting to free up gibbs and co.

I can't tell if miller dissapears or the players stop looking to feature him, but shonns the best scoring weapon on the team imo and should have a high usage %. Its simple really cut down on purvis picknrolls and brimah post ups, try and get shonn looks after he screens in the mid range. give him a reason to screen well. He also needs to not get in foul trouble, none of those terrible over the backs.

edit: also remember the argument on here about whether miller should shoot threes at the same rate as at cornell here? he has 1 3pt attempt on the season. I would actually want him to shoot more he's had few wide open looks above the break, KO must not like him shooting at all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think we can all agree that Brimah is closer to Kevin Pangos height than he is Ridley's.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
"JESUS, MARY AND AMIDA!!!"

Reaction Score
Once again, I am not saying Brimah is the only one to get bashed, I am speaking in regards to the levels we've now reached. If you're mentioning Ater Majok, a guy who didn't even play a full season here, then you're just pressed to make this some kind of competition. I've been saying since the off season how polarizing he is so this isn't anything new to me. And yes, when numbskulls make threads like this or the other one on the front page that basically amounts to "I didn't see the game, did Brimah suck today?", then yes, those idiots should get bashed.

Majok in turns of the polarization. There were some who were expecting a double-double from him. Then to see the robust 2 and 3 he put up, many turned on him pretty heatedly while others didn't. I mean we still use the chair joke every time a mix tape or new prospective recruit is produced. I will say, I don't think I can remember another player that was so universally underrated AND overrated by the BY.

Reaction Score
Majok in turns of the polarization. There were some who were expecting a double-double from him. Then to see the robust 2 and 3 he put up, many turned on him pretty heatedly while others didn't. I mean we still use the chair joke every time a mix tape or new prospective recruit is produced. I will say, I don't think I can remember another player that was so universally underrated AND overrated by the BY.

He did show signs, if he stayed he would have been a very nice player.

Reaction Score
I will say, I don't think I can remember another player that was so universally underrated AND overrated by the BY.

This line is in reference to AB, not Majok. There are some who still swear AB is a first round pick while others think that Enoch should be taking his minutes. Crazy both ways.

Reaction Score
This line is in reference to AB, not Majok. There are some who still swear AB is a first round pick while others think that Enoch should be taking his minutes. Crazy both ways.

Yep

Reaction Score
It's because we haven't seen Brimah grad a chair yet, we just don't know how good he is. Ater at least had that going for him.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
For the record, my post wasn't as much of hate on Brimah as it was as concern that Ridley could shred our frontcourt, like our frontcourt has been shredded by above-average centers for the past couple seasons.
Ridley had a double-double against a legit team in UNC, and he nearly had a triple-double last night (19 pts, 11 rb, 9 bl).
I love Brimah. He's obviously unique and fits the historic mold of a UConn center. Nothin better than a big Brimah block or alley-oop from D Ham.
But let's be real, he can't contain a legit center 1-on-1. I like our matchup against Texas, I'm just saying Ridley could cause serious problems.
Sorry if the single Brimah reference personally offended any of you, but this thread was more of an observation of how Ridley looks more legit than last year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He was roughly the same size last year (which seems to be more important to you than any other metric) and played pretty forgettably against us. But for some reason, this time Brimah is going to be annihilated.

caw

Reaction Score
He was roughly the same size last year (which seems to be more important to you than any other metric) and played pretty forgettably against us. But for some reason, this time Brimah is going to be annihilated.

Ridley does look much better this year. And the statistics back up that observation. I'm not saying he will destroy Brimah but it's not the same matchup.

Brimah also looks better at some things but not nearly to the same extent (and the stats back that up also).

Reaction Score
Ridley does look much better this year. And the statistics back up that observation. I'm not saying he will destroy Brimah but it's not the same matchup.

Brimah also looks better at some things but not nearly to the same extent (and the stats back that up also).

I think anyone would be open to hearing an assessment that has more than one dimension to it, so I'm not trying to shoot down discussion of Ridley's stats, just that the OP only cared about one (largely irrelevant) number.

C

Chief00

There's a reason I don't breakdown Brimah's game - rather just beg for a Bigs coach.
I don't even think Coach Miller wants to be the Bigs coach - he seems more comfortable in the Associative Head Coach role and by all accounts does a good job there.
During games you see him checking on fouls with the scorers table, keeping track of rotations, etc. you almost never see a Bigs huddle at the end of a timeout like Clyde used to do - giving last minute instructions. You don't even see the 1x1 that you see with Hobbs and various guards. The Bigs don't seem to have their own identity - and that hurts. There doesn't seem to be any good natured competition in the weight room. Hilton Armstrong got a lot stronger and then compare that to Brimah. They both came in skinny.

Reaction Score
There's a reason I don't breakdown Brimah's game - rather just beg for a Bigs coach.
I don't even think Coach Miller wants to be the Bigs coach - he seems more comfortable in the Associative Head Coach role and by all accounts does a good job there.
During games you see him checking on fouls with the scorers table, keeping track of rotations, etc. you almost never see a Bigs huddle at the end of a timeout like Clyde used to do - giving last minute instructions. You don't even see the 1x1 that you see with Hobbs and various guards. The Bigs don't seem to have their own identity - and that hurts. There doesn't seem to be any good natured competition in the weight room. Hilton Armstrong got a lot stronger and then compare that to Brimah. They both came in skinny.

In fairness to Brimah he has a totally different body structure than Hilton did. Hilton had the shoulders and width already which was waiting for some hard work, he did just that. I believe AB has worked very hard to get stronger and he looks it too. He's is plenty larger than when he came in it just won't show as much with his body type which is very thin. And in this case a "bigs" coach wouldn't make much of a difference unless of course you could transplant the brain of the coach. I mean we can talk about this on and on but the reality of his issues stem from being slow to think of where to be, what to do and how to read the play around him. He's plenty strong if he understood these things and his reactions were much better. The "bigs" coach may be able to help with his offensive game I guess but again, the natural instincts of the game still wouldn't be there. He's been taught plenty and it's been repeated time and time again. He just doesn't catch up with that part and Pete Newell or Clyde Vaughn would do little to change that from my perspective.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

While I'm not saying they don't know a bench coach, Clyde was only there for 2 seasons. So they had two seasons of huddling and weight room stuff (do you train with them often or something?). They've turned out a bunch of capable big men outside of those year. Also, keep someone like Drummond for three years and you've got an NPOY.

Right now, the problem is that they haven't had the raw talent. I'm betting Enoch, Durham, and Diarra turn out well. Facey is probably on the Gavin Edwards track, which isn't a bad thing.

Reaction Score
I like the idea of playing a huge big man. If he is a bit slow it will help Purvis and Hamilton.

C

Chief00

While I'm not saying they don't know a bench coach, Clyde was only there for 2 seasons. So they had two seasons of huddling and weight room stuff (do you train with them often or something?). They've turned out a bunch of capable big men outside of those year. Also, keep someone like Drummond for three years and you've got an NPOY.

Right now, the problem is that they haven't had the raw talent. I'm betting Enoch, Durham, and Diarra turn out well. Facey is probably on the Gavin Edwards track, which isn't a bad thing.

Yes, they huddled and Mano, Mano, pushed each other in the weight room. While those in hindsight who said they knew all along Hilton would leave UConn ripped with bulging muscles leading him to be a 1st round pick - I can tell you at the time Hilton entered UConn it was NOT obvious at all.

As for Clyde, Bigs wanted to play for him - Charlie, Andrew Bynum, etc. Guys respected Clyde - Rasheed Wallace wouldn't be a bad choice either, he helped AD his first couple years in the league .

Last edited by a moderator:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
thought this was a Rest In Peace thread about Big Men... Dawkins, Malone, Meadowlark Lemon, Hot Rod Williams, Jack Haley, Anthony Mason, Jerome Kersey, Roy Tarpley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom