DeBerry Commited to Uconn!!! | Page 6 | The Boneyard

DeBerry Commited to Uconn!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
With that idea in mind, I do believe that Geno has been fascinated for some time with the strategy employed by his good buddy Doug Bruno at Depaul. While I’m not saying that Geno will swap out players 5 at a time like the Blue Demons, it would not surprise me if he implements a strategy more commonly seen in the pro ranks where somewhere by the second qtr most of the starters are on the bench, with the process repeated again in the 2nd half.
I love your posts but I have to respectfully disagree. One of Geno's consistent answers in the relatively short time I have been following is that "players have to trust each other on the floor and that it is hard to establish that trust if there is a lot of subbing". In big games, he plays 6 maybe 7. As much as I would love to see a Doug Bruno approach , I just don't see it in Geno's DNA to it. The thing is, next year he could have 8 or 9 that can provide quality minutes. The following year, maybe ten or more. Is it too late for a leopard to change his spots? We shall see.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It's not a name, it's a meme. Google it. However, it was just a tease...no offence intended. It's a joke in our cave, JavaDaughter uses it often to make a point with me.

Ok. Just researched it. Never heard it before. Basically, similar to ' get off my lawn' . I can live with that. :)

The only Boomer I had thought of was Boomer Esiason or Chris Berman. :oops::oops::oops:

Reaction Score
You forgot to mention the Australian prospect that wanted to come to UConn until the elders on the Aussie national team apparently twisted her arm to stay Down Under. I can't recall her name just now, but she was taken in the WNBA draft and may play on this continent after all. EZI MACBEGOR!!!

One has to wonder whether, if one or two of those players had come to Storrs, UConn might not have gotten Edwards, Gabriel, and/or Deberry. If that is true, then their decisions not to come were "all for the best".
I also forgot the most recent one boneyarders got upset about, Sedona Prince, whose game I didn’t really care for.

Reaction Score
Ok. Just researched it. Never heard it before. Basically, similar to ' get off my lawn'...
Actually, it would be closer to: That's not how you maintain a lawn. This is how we've always done it. So, if you want to do it properly, you should do it the way it's ALWAYS been done...the way we do it.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Actually, it would be closer to: That's not how you maintain a lawn. This is how we've always done it. So, if you want to do it properly, you should do it the way it's ALWAYS been done...the way we do it.

even better. ;)

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I love your posts but I have to respectfully disagree. One of Geno's consistent answers in the relatively short time I have been following is that "players have to trust each other on the floor and that it is hard to establish that trust if there is a lot of subbing". In big games, he plays 6 maybe 7. As much as I would love to see a Doug Bruno approach , I just don't see it in Geno's DNA to it. The thing is, next year he could have 8 or 9 that can provide quality minutes. The following year, maybe ten or more. Is it too late for a leopard to change his spots? We shall see.
He already changed his spots once. Up until 2002 he consistently went deep in all games when he had a deep roster. For example, "Big Rig" came in a third wave, not a second, and got significant minutes against opponents like a Landers led Georgia team. In 2001 he had his deepest, most talented roster of all time by his own admission, yet they under performed, and they under performed worst when they were at their deepest. In my opinion a game against Miami that year at full strength, though they won, was the lowest point in their performance that year. I recall it being part puzzling, part painful to watch. The way they played against Notre Dame later was also pretty low.

It may be just coincidence, but since then he generally has not gone as deep, even against lesser opponents. Of course, he often hasn't had the depth to work with, plus there were times circa 2001 when the team did well with a deep roster. Two highly ranked recruits and former starters, Sauer and Hansmeyer, came off the bench as seniors in 2000. Their attitude allowed a championship when a similarly stacked roster would not a year later. Who knows what is really in store for the future. He is constant about recruiting certain types of players, yet that leads to variable results due to many intangible factors, as it does for all coaches. Over all he adapts well and things work out well.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
With that idea in mind, I do believe that Geno has been fascinated for some time with the strategy employed by his good buddy Doug Bruno at Depaul. While I’m not saying that Geno will swap out players 5 at a time like the Blue Demons, it would not surprise me if he implements a strategy more commonly seen in the pro ranks where somewhere by the second qtr most of the starters are on the bench, with the process repeated again in the 2nd half.
That of course will depend on the score, the flow of the game, the progress of those in team 2, and the health and availability of the players on the floor. So that means it will be completely situational.

Reaction Score
This young lady got my attention with her phraseology: She committed to ; COACH . i LIKE that. Geno will be her Uconn as long as she's at Uconn--

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Geno already had this situation with his run with the USA national team (and he enjoyed it!) The issue isn't the talent but the development and chemistry. It is hard to get truly college ready players that can play team basketball their freshman year and integrate them seamlessly with the really good players that have been working together for one two or three years - it is possible, but even the superior talents of Stewie, Moriah, and Morgan struggled a lot as freshman. It is a lot easier to take older professional players who have more experience integrating into divergent systems and merge their talents for a national team, even when they only have a few weeks to practice.

And it takes special people to be superstars in HS and AAU who have not struggled at all in the last three years and have them find the motivation to overcome daily failures as college freshman and understand the process and the goal and to thrive. Some learn to love it, and some think it is going to be easier somewhere else, and some change their goals. And finally some come to understand that Geno's system just doesn't fit.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I have bolded the most significant phrase in your post. This is an issue on which a longer perspective is beneficial. Go back and watch the games from 2000 or 2002 to see Geno rotating around 9 players into and out of games, including National Championship games. In the NC game in 2000 where she blocked 9 shots (actually 10), Kelly Schumacher played (as I recall) about 22 minutes.

The problem in recent years is that he has not had more than 1 or 2 bench players whom he could trust for significant minutes in competitive games. What he won't do is put players in games (even when UConn is up 20 or more) if he doesn't trust what they will do, and if the players don't demonstrate in practice that they will do what he wants.

You may recall an AAC game (I think it was in the 2017-18 season) where he put in Walker, Coombs, and Irwin (and probably other bench players whom I am forgetting) in the second quarter, and they almost gave back a large lead. That was when he had a meltdown press conference after the game when he said it was the worst play he had seen in 30+ years of coaching. He isn't going to let that happen again.

But I think that this year is different insofar as he seems to believe that everyone is practicing well, unlike the freshman from two years ago who spent most of the season "not getting it". Anna and Aubrey seem to understand where they belong on the court, and Molly is implementing the offense in a way which we haven't seen from her before. So I think you will see a longer bench this year. That may even include Batouly when she gets back in January.

Reaction Score
You have truths to some of what you write. GENO must trust a player freshman or senior. Often in the past the players TRUSTED each other more than Geno did. Chemistry isn't built up just in GAMES it's developed in pickup games, practices and summer 3 0n 3. I.E. lots of together time in many situations; you have to understand the personality and talent and moves of those you play with. Certainly, that takes time.
But Doug Bruno isn't the only one who subs more than one at a time and for some if not many it works well.
GENO has a lower TRUST factor than other coaches.
My personal belief as a player I thought most of those I played regularly with could mix and match flawlessly.
I believed an experience player could get into most games and into the flow--OBVIOUSLY, it is not instantaneous achieved even with Geno's teams. There is no experience better than in game experience for players to learn (just my opinion)

Reaction Score
I have bolded the most significant phrase in your post. This is an issue on which a longer perspective is beneficial. Go back and watch the games from 2000 or 2002 to see Geno rotating around 9 players into and out of games, including National Championship games. In the NC game in 2000 where she blocked 9 shots (actually 10), Kelly Schumacher played (as I recall) about 22 minutes.

The problem in recent years is that he has not had more than 1 or 2 bench players whom he could trust for significant minutes in competitive games. What he won't do is put players in games (even when UConn is up 20 or more) if he doesn't trust what they will do, and if the players don't demonstrate in practice that they will do what he wants.

You may recall an AAC game (I think it was in the 2017-18 season) where he put in Walker, Coombs, and Irwin (and probably other bench players whom I am forgetting) in the second quarter, and they almost gave back a large lead. That was when he had a meltdown press conference after the game when he said it was the worst play he had seen in 30+ years of coaching. He isn't going to let that happen again.

But I think that this year is different insofar as he seems to believe that everyone is practicing well, unlike the freshman from two years ago who spent most of the season "not getting it". Anna and Aubrey seem to understand where they belong on the court, and Molly is implementing the offense in a way which we haven't seen from her before. So I think you will see a longer bench this year. That may even include Batouly when she gets back in January.
@JoePgh I too sat in Gampel for those 2000-2002 games and reveled in the precision. The significant point is that GENO had talent beyond talent and backup talent. Unlike the recent years.
In the past years (maybe more) he RECRUiTED top talent for the first 8 positions and had walkon's or scholarship walk-on talented players. He did not want to work with more than 8. The draw of UCWBB allowed him, if he wished, to fill those spots with top talent.
In the 2000 and 2002 there was grumbling if only minimal about time on the floor. CD kept a record to show each player the equality of the subbing. That kind of memory will make a coach feel snake bit and find a number or top talent that works for him/her. So, Geno went for the number 8.
in the MOST recent years he had trouble filling top talent beyond 3 or 4 or 5 and it's been not good at times. The subs who were available were less than extreme talent (to say it nicely) and some games became tedious crap shoots. Uconn this year could use another talented BiG (ok, @meyers7 7 have at it) for when Olivia needs bench help. The last 3 years the subbing was not what Geno expected or wanted.
I liked all you wrote especially the last paragraph.

Reaction Score
This young lady got my attention with her phraseology: She committed to ; COACH . i LIKE that. Geno will be her Uconn as long as she's at Uconn--
Occasionally I'll run into some of the women I've coached back in their high school days. Some are married with families now. I feel honored that they still refer to me as coach. Recently I ran into one at the grocery store. She had her 6 month old daughter with her. She said "Violet, this is your future coach" lol.

Reaction Score
He already changed his spots once. Up until 2002 he consistently went deep in all games when he had a deep roster. For example, "Big Rig" came in a third wave, not a second, and got significant minutes against opponents like a Landers led Georgia team. In 2001 he had his deepest, most talented roster of all time by his own admission, yet they under performed, and they under performed worst when they were at their deepest. In my opinion a game against Miami that year at full strength, though they won, was the lowest point in their performance that year. I recall it being part puzzling, part painful to watch. The way they played against Notre Dame later was also pretty low.

It may be just coincidence, but since then he generally has not gone as deep, even against lesser opponents. Of course, he often hasn't had the depth to work with, plus there were times circa 2001 when the team did well with a deep roster. Two highly ranked recruits and former starters, Sauer and Hansmeyer, came off the bench as seniors in 2000. Their attitude allowed a championship when a similarly stacked roster would not a year later. Who knows what is really in store for the future. He is constant about recruiting certain types of players, yet that leads to variable results due to many intangible factors, as it does for all coaches. Over all he adapts well and things work out well.
Geno changed his spots. If you believe some he is rigid and never ever ever changes. He won't ever again play UTenn--until this December, He won't play freshmen (Rene, Sveta, DT, CW, Maya, etc) until last year and this, he won't take transfers--wow do we have transfers. When Geno has the options, which long passed kids are different now, he could be rigid. But he is the MASTER of WCBB and you don't get there by not evolving--Geno is still evolving. The most factual thing that can be said about GENO---NEVER SAY NEVER about anything he may or may not do.
I like what you write. I agree with most.

Reaction Score
Occasionally I'll run into some of the women I've coached back in their high school days. Some are married with families now. I feel honored that they still refer to me as coach. Recently I ran into one at the grocery store. She had her 6 month old daughter with her. She said "Violet, this is your future coach" lol.
You were blessed. Among great acknowledgments is having students or players you taught or coached thank you. Violet, is one lucky kid.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Where have you been hiding. You were a regular recently your are irregular. Is all well with you. I missed your insight into nearly everything on the BY. Again, I hope all is well. You as I and others knew the UCONN as it was a few years back (OR IS IT DECADES)??
Just taking a summer break when a lot of speculation and wild ideas seem to take over the board. :eek:

Edit:
On your comments about Bruno and others like the Kentucky 40 minutes of hell a few years back - it is easier to run that kind of system when your top talent is moderate and so there is not a significant difference between the top five players and the next five. Or when you are pulling from the absolute best of the professional ranks for a national team so again there is less variation in talent and experience. But at top college programs there is significant talent and experience variation and integrating beyond a few bench players becomes much harder. The others on the bench just don't have enough talent or haven't had enough time to harness the talent they have into the system being run.

As far as Uconn - the 2000-2001 teams were probably the closest to having a full bench integrated into the starting five.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lots of smiles in Huskyland today. We are so fortunate in the Nutmeg state to constantly have these wonderful young ladies representing the University and at the same time entertaining us with their amazing play and great personalities.

Reaction Score
I do.
Please tell me more... while I follow things on here and some other places... I just do not have the time to keep up with all the details... what else can you tell me about this 6'7"?

Reaction Score
That’s going out on a limb considering that two really good 6’5” posts will be on the roster.
At this current moment, Betts is significantly better than Gabriel and DeBerry IMO. Whether she would be when she steps and campus and those two have one and two years under their belt respectively, I personally think so.

Reaction Score
Please tell me more... while I follow things on here and some other places... I just do not have the time to keep up with all the details... what else can you tell me about this 6'7"?
She's a legit 6-7 class of '22 from Colorado. This summer she was by far the best big on the U16 USA team. Very coordinated, excellent mobility and very good hands. She's getting excellent coaching from a ex-pro from Utah on her summer AAU team and IMO may be the best low post player in the country early in her college career.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall