Death Storm | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Death Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think I 'll go golfing today
We just opened our new grill with a huge patio,the views are amazing ,I can actually see snow above 5.000 ft in the Superstition Mountains.
I will now proceed to duck and cover
My best wishes to you guys, I put up with it for almost 65 years.
So we have a stomach ache and you tell us how good your stomach feels. It ain't like you're inviting anyone here over, during the storm to confirm your post.

Reaction Score
Ah, that's better.

ForumRunner_20150125_162656.png

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm pretty numb to the hysteria but I just read up on this one. Looks pretty serious imo. Not scared, but not looking forward to repeating that sh it show we went through a couple of years ago when we got two-plus feet. Our plow guy broke the axles on all three of his trucks before he could get to us, and we couldn't get another plow so we were stuck for a day until we borrowed a neighbor's snowblower the following afternoon. Poor guy. The thing was brand new before that storm and by the time I returned it to him it was beat to crap, with half the screws vibrated loose. This looks like that level and maybe then some, plus 30-40 mph winds, with gusts up to 65.

Should've bought the damned generator...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
getting crazy now....Hartford County forecast:

vent: Blizzard Warning
Alert:
...A CRIPPLING AND POTENTIALLY HISTORIC BLIZZARD TO IMPACT THE
AREA MAINLY FROM LATE MONDAY INTO TUESDAY...LINGERING INTO EARLY
WEDNESDAY...

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM MONDAY TO 1 AM EST
WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD
WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM MONDAY TO 1 AM EST
WEDNESDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...PORTIONS OF CENTRAL MASSACHUSETTS AS WELL AS
NORTHERN CONNECTICUT.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW...STRONG WINDS AND BLIZZARD
CONDITIONS. CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF AROUND 20 TO 30 INCHES...
WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS. SNOWFALL RATES OF 2 TO 4 INCHES AN
HOUR AT TIMES.

* TIMING...WHILE THE STORM IS EXPECTED LATE MONDAY LINGERING INTO
EARLY WEDNESDAY...THE WORST OF THE STORM WILL BE MONDAY NIGHT
THROUGH TUESDAY AFTERNOON.

* IMPACTS...HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS WILL RESULT IN WHITE-OUT /
BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WITH NEAR ZERO VISIBILITY. TRAVEL WILL BE
IMPOSSIBLE AND LIFE THREATENING ACROSS THE ENTIRE REGION. ALSO
SNOW MAY BE WET ENOUGH TO RESULT IN DOWNED TREE LIMBS AND POWER
OUTAGES IN ADDITION TO THE WINDS.

* WINDS...NORTH-NORTHEAST 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS AROUND 35 TO
45 MPH. THE HEIGHT OF THE WINDS WILL BE LATE MONDAY NIGHT INTO
TUESDAY.

* VISIBILITIES...ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Death Storm threads are a tradition that goes back well over 10 years, no?
Along with placing stereotypical Asian reporter on highway exit ramps during the event. I think Family Guy stole that bit from the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
Just saw a meteorologist give this report about the storm on his way out of town:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Did everybody else get the call from CL&P that said if you relay on electricity for heat or well water, seek alternate housing. WTF? They are planning on having power outages they can't fix?

Reaction Score
I think I 'll go golfing today
We just opened our new grill with a huge patio,the views are amazing ,I can actually see snow above 5.000 ft in the Superstition Mountains.
I will now proceed to duck and cover
My best wishes to you guys, I put up with it for almost 65 years.

I did golf today but we quit after 14 holes when the wind came up and with the high of just 60 we decided enough was enough. Got a call about an hour ago from two CT cousins saying they are on an early flight out of BDL to BHM through ATL and plan on staying until next Saturday. They are leaving their grown kids to watch the house. I think I see another retired couple leaving CT permanently in the not too distant future.

Reaction Score
This is going to suck...

Attachments

• image-577321586.jpg
    image-577321586.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 44
Reaction Score
Call is for 24" to 36" with drifts north of 5 feet due to the wind. That's serious stuff even for me after living through various blizzards in CT, Boston, and NY/NJ plus the never ending lake effect conveyor belt in the Adirondacks. NYC will be locked down if tey get north of 24", except for the bars, of course.

Still, we live in the Northeast, not the mountains of Wyoming. In a pinch, I could still make it to one of a dozen houses by foot if I had to even in 3 feet of snow. No need to panic. I'll head into the office (NYC downtown) in the morning and keep and eye on things to make sure I catch a train out before it gets screwy. Wife is going grocery shopping at 7 AM before the horde invades. Kids already have a 1/2 day. Got gas for the snowblower and generator and plenty of food. Most importantly as the kids are already wound-up, got plenty of booze.

Reaction Score
So we have a stomach ache and you tell us how good your stomach feels. It ain't like you're inviting anyone here over, during the storm to confirm your post.
Actually I didn't get to go, my wife decided we (her use of the word we is not inclusive its actually synonymous with you )needed to clean the garage in anticipation of installing cabinets on Tuesday. Since we don't usually have basements and our attics can reach amazing temps ,garage space is utilized to its maximum.
I did find a bunch of UConn stuff from the eighties and early nineties in a sealed boxed I moved from CT 7 years ago.
I actually have a program signed by Carl Hobbs as a player.I didn't go through the entire box who knows what I will find.
My wife told me Ansonia already cancelled school for Monday and Tuesday.her mom still lives in the valley.so she is hooked in to the local news. Via the patches.
What is going on ? Some places are predicting over 30 inches.
Those use to be once a century storms.

Reaction Score
Did everybody else get the call from CL&P that said if you relay on electricity for heat or well water, seek alternate housing. WTF? They are planning on having power outages they can't fix?

Yes, CL&P is very excited about the fact they once again have the potential to lose millions of dollars NOT getting their customers back up and running. Because why would 2 feet of snow and 40-50mph winds have an affect on power lines????

Reaction Score
"We are facing most likely one of the largest snow storms in the history of this city." - Mayor @BilldeBlasio. Live:nyc.gov.

Reaction Score
Yes, CL&P is very excited about the fact they once again have the potential to lose millions of dollars NOT getting their customers back up and running. Because why would 2 feet of snow and 40-50mph winds have an affect on power lines????

It's more like, two of out power lines fell down so we have to increase everyone rates by 30% to make improvements. Then they do nothing.

Reaction Score
It's more like, two of out power lines fell down so we have to increase everyone rates by 30% to make improvements. Then they do nothing.

CL&P did a shytty job in 2011, and I don't know what they've done to deserve a rate increase (maybe it was the amount of money their president donated to Malloy).

But it's incredibly stupid to pretend 2-3 feet of snow (on top of the wet/heavy 4-8 inches that just fell) mixed with 40-50 mph winds won't cause power outages, or that potential blizzard conditions for 24-36 hours won't make it very difficult to restore power once it's lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom