Death storm | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Death storm

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Death Storm Part Duex:

New Jersey has declared a state of emergency in anticipation of a foot of snow tomorrow.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Death Storm Part Duex:

New Jersey has declared a state of emergency in anticipation of a foot of snow tomorrow.
I'm just happy I will at least be able to put this storm to good use by skiing in VT the next two weekends.

CL82

Reaction Score
I'm just happy I will at least be able to put this storm to good use by skiing in VT the next two weekends.
How's the roof?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
How's the roof?
Waiting for our roofer to come out for confirmation, but it looks like we will just need it to be re-shingled over the addition and have the siding, molding and one screen replaced. The claims guy who came out said the arborist's bill didn't look too bad, so I'm hopeful that they cover all of it minus our deductible. Unfortunately, as I suspected, our flowering dogwood that was taken out by the white oak will not be covered, but all in all it appears that we were pretty lucky given what could have happened with an 80' tree falling on the house.

Do you have power yet?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The current predictions for my town, depending on the source, ranges from 1" to over 12". It is pretty clear that they have no idea what is coming. My car is staying in the garage.

Reaction Score
The current predictions for my town, depending on the source, ranges from 1" to over 12". It is pretty clear that they have no idea what is coming. My car is staying in the garage.

I supposed if they really wanted to get ballsy with their predictions, they could have gone slightly lower with the lower end of that range.

CL82

Reaction Score
Waiting for our roofer to come out for confirmation, but it looks like we will just need it to be re-shingled over the addition and have the siding, molding and one screen replaced. The claims guy who came out said the arborist's bill didn't look too bad, so I'm hopeful that they cover all of it minus our deductible. Unfortunately, as I suspected, our flowering dogwood that was taken out by the white oak will not be covered, but all in all it appears that we were pretty lucky given what could have happened with an 80' tree falling on the house.

Do you have power yet?
Yes! I should have posted. It came back on Sunday and then went off for an hour and then went back on. I have my fingers crossed for this storm.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yes! I should have posted. It came back on Sunday and then went off for an hour and then went back on. I have my fingers crossed for this storm.
I have a gym membership that I use as much for the shower access during power outages as I do for exercise (I try to run outside instead whenever possible because I don't particularly like the gym).

CL82

Reaction Score
I have a gym membership that I use as much for the shower access during power outages as I do for exercise (I try to run outside instead whenever possible because I don't particularly like the gym).
We still had hot water. The range top works during an outage. I should get a whole house generator but once this storm passes I won't think about it until the next one.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
She had to be amazing at something...what is it?

She is absolutely, positively the nicest person I have ever met. She and my daughter have the same temperament- I rarely see my wife angry and in all of her 14 years, my wife and I have never seen our daughter angry or in a bad mood. Never. And I am a serious pain in the ass.

However, my wife has a couple of triggers and dogs in our house is one of them. Fortunately, the triggers are easily avoided most of the time. It’s like having visible land mines scattered about - you know where they are and they’re easily avoided. Until your mom’s dog pees on the couch...then all of them go off at once.

PS - She’s an awful cook. Awful. Remarkably bad.

@Fishy you can take care of the couch and bed in one fell swoop with one of these beauties (we have one and I can attest that it is by far the most comfortable sleeper sofa, and also a great couch--never mind the dog in the photo--that's just a suggestion for people who also have hearts):

Sleeper Sofa - Comfort Sleeper by American Leather

That....is not a bad idea. The couch is in the living room, so it’s not in a spot where people would ordinarily sleep, but it might come in handy.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
We still had hot water. The range top works during an outage. I should get a whole house generator but once this storm passes I won't think about it until the next one.
You should. I did. Generic 20K-24K whole house generator. After Sandy I said screw this. Cost me a little over $5K installed. Money extremely well spent. My wife b**ched "why do we need that" I didn't answer. I let her think twice when had an outage. She was watching GOT and the lights flickered and went out. 10 seconds later the sound of the generator. I kept looking at her for 5 minutes. She kept turning her head. If she missed GOT it would be hell. Only caution they gave me was, try not to have to heat appliances on. Meaning, do not use the oven and dryer at the same time. Use any heat combo as you wish. The generator will work, but they say it will pull a little heavy load. Of course summer? A breeze. No pun intended. Oh, and service it yourself. Electrician
charged me $180.00. a year later I changed electrician. He charged me $140. Come to find out, I get the parts, do it myself (very easy) and cost me a whopping $55.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
She had to be amazing at something...what is it?

Not sure how old you are, but for future references, this falls under "things you don't ask another man about his wife".

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
You should. I did. Generic 20K-24K whole house generator. After Sandy I said screw this. Cost me a little over $5K installed. Money extremely well spent. My wife b**ched "why do we need that" I didn't answer. I let her think twice when had an outage. She was watching GOT and the lights flickered and went out. 10 seconds later the sound of the generator. I kept looking at her for 5 minutes. She kept turning her head. If she missed GOT it would be hell. Only caution they gave me was, try not to have to heat appliances on. Meaning, do not use the oven and dryer at the same time. Use any heat combo as you wish. The generator will work, but they say it will pull a little heavy load. Of course summer? A breeze. No pun intended. Oh, and service it yourself. Electrician
charged me $180.00. a year later I changed electrician. He charged me $140. Come to find out, I get the parts, do it myself (very easy) and cost me a whopping $55.
It’s amazing what people get for “skilled labor”. My fiancé nearly paid Suburban Subaru a $90 add-on during her last oil change to replace her cabin and engine air filters. Her mind was blown when I (not really automotive savvy) replaced them both in 5 total minutes with $20 worth of parts and no tools.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Not sure how old you are, but for future references, this falls under "things you don't ask another man about his wife".
In real life? Sure. On the anonymous Internet forum? Social norms do not work the same way, or we wouldn’t have this place.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That....is not a bad idea. The couch is in the living room, so it’s not in a spot where people would ordinarily sleep, but it might come in handy.

Ours is in the addition/family room/man cave where people wouldn't ordinarily sleep, but it does come in very handy. Guests enjoy it because, unlike most pullouts or air mattresses, it is a good night's sleep; and we find it very useful for sleepover parties, when someone is sick, etc.

You have to find a dealer--I'm sure there is one in Hudson Valley. We also have their recliner and a matching love seat. And I am very happy to report that the company fully stands behind their warranty, which we have had to make use of twice in six years, including recently, both for somewhat freak occurrences.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
It’s amazing what people get for “skilled labor”. My fiancé nearly paid Suburban Subaru a $90 add-on during her last oil change to replace her cabin and engine air filters. Her mind was blown when I (not really automotive savvy) replaced them both in 5 total minutes with $20 worth of parts and no tools.
Oh you are so right. I caught a dealership showing me a cabin air filter with dirt, dust, leaves (how did that get there). I asked him, my car has 22K miles on it. I drive the interstate to work and back. Where did that filthy filter come from. Well needless to say the subject was dropped. I went home and checked the filter myself. Almost like new. Shameful. LOL in fact I went in for a tire warranty, so how did they go from tires to cabin air filter which is nestled in the glove compartment.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
In real life? Sure. On the anonymous Internet forum? Social norms do not work the same way, or we wouldn’t have this place.

my post was just joking

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
So a total dud of a snow day for me. We’re going to get a foot overnight and have to have school tomorrow. Dilly dilly

Reaction Score
So a total dud of a snow day for me. We’re going to get a foot overnight and have to have school tomorrow. Dilly dilly

I bet there will be at least a delay tomorrow. Really, they never should have cancelled today, at least in the Hartford area. I can still see the pavement (yells at cloud).

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I bet there will be at least a delay tomorrow. Really, they never should have cancelled today, at least in the Hartford area. I can still see the pavement (yells at cloud).
Can’t blame the superintendents though. The weather people were saying we’d be getting 3 inches per hour at 10 o’clock. It was 40 degrees and lightly raining at 10 o’clock. Just starting to stick to sidewalks in my neighborhood.

Reaction Score
Someone was struck by lightning in NJ during the snowstorm.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Someone was struck by lightning in NJ during the snowstorm.
I was just coming here to post about the thunder snow we just experienced, with lightning, and how cool it was. This tempered my enthusiasm a bit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom