Dayton postgame thread [merged] | The Boneyard

Dayton postgame thread [merged]

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just to put it in perspective...

I'm not even going to analyze the game. South Carolina, at full strength, beat Dayton by 26. UCONN, without Crystal and an injured Anna used Kyla, Molly, and Aubrey a lot, and won by 38. Just a terrific all around game by the entire team.

Monster game by Megan. ONO - O-yes. Christyn - really good. Kyla and Molly - HOORAY!! Anna drained some 3's before her injury. Aubrey - some really good stuff. Evelyn - well, she got some rebounds.

Really proud of how the team played. My favorite game in quite a while.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Dayton game:
  • No Crystal, no worries. The team stepped up and played generally solid basketball with everyone contributing.
  • Anna looked great right out of the gate knocking down her first two 3’s, playing D, setting up Liv with a great pass and even running the offense some. When she went down my heart sunk. Thrilled to see her start the 2nd half, although it looked like she was trying to play after turning her ankle. I expect she’ll be fine for the next game in 9 days.
  • Megan did some really nice things, but you could tell she was trying to do a little too much in Crystal’s absence as she forced some things that resulted in turnovers. When she just let the game come to her, she was very good.
  • News alert!!! Kyla missed her first shot of the season, but otherwise played a really nice game for the Huskies.
  • Molly wasn’t spectacular, but she was steady running the point and played solid defense which is exactly what UConn needed in Crystal’s absence.
  • Liv is so close to becoming a great player, you can feel it. Hopefully, she can feel it too, and will do whatever is necessary to get there.

Reaction Score
Anna playing well off the bench. Sorry to see her injury. Everyone did their jobs tonight. Kyla again was the assist leader although her field goal percentage took a hit. Molly still with too many turnovers but offset by some steals and drives to the basket. Aubrey a little shaky at the beginning but showed her athleticism in the last quarter.

Reaction Score
1574819276754.png

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Anna playing well off the bench. Sorry to see her injury. Everyone did their jobs tonight. Kyla again was the assist leader although her field goal percentage took a hit. Molly still with too many turnovers but offset by some steals and drives to the basket. Aubrey a little shaky at the beginning but showed her athleticism in the last quarter.
Walker had more turnovers than Molly had. Three within less than two minutes. She also had a very good offensive game.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I hope there's a replay posted.

Reaction Score
I missed the game and info on Crystal. Is it day to day ? What happened. Will she be ok in 9 days ?
Thanks,

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I missed the game and info on Crystal. Is it day to day ? What happened. Will she be ok in 9 days ?
Thanks,
I am guessing that between now and next Thursday that there will be multiple threads on her prognosis.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Couldn't get ESPN radio on the radio or computer, gave up & signed up for ESPN+ trial. As a result only able to see the last 9 or so minutes of the 1st Q when I finally tuned in, so I missed some hot shooting. Seems to have continued -- 3pt percentage at 52.6 was higher than the 2pt percentage at 50. ESPN+ gave me clear streaming & sound (a little muted, but fortunately I use speakers with their own power source. The refs were not good to UConn, multiple whistles for traveling, didn't award any FTs until pretty far into the 2nd half -- total 4.

With their leader out with injury and heavy reliance on bench players, the rest of the team played above their heads based on previous games. Good work!

And then Anna got injured in the first half. After scoring 2 3s in Q1 and making at least one very good pass, she appears to have sprained an ankle in Q2 and had to leave the game for a check up. She returned at the beginning of the 2nd half, but briefly, and had to sit down.

Meg scored highest, 23 pt, 9 more than Christyn and ONO who had 14 each. Volume shooting, though. Airballs, missed layups, jumpers bounced off the basket, 9-17 FT. But 4-6 3pt was very efficient.

ONO was devastating Dayton with her defense. 7 blocks, 3 Asst, 2 Steals, 8 reb -- and only one TO. She scored a lot better than Ohio State, but Dayton wasn't as physical, but even so her shooting was inefficient at 7-17. But she seemed to be everywhere disrupting the Dayton offense. I don't think radio could do justice to what she was doing, if you weren't able to watch.

Kyla's shooting consistency continues to be remarkable. 3-4 FT & 2-3 3PT. Not a volume shooter but very efficient. She had 6 assts, higher than anyone else on the team, & 6 rebs. compare to ONO's 8.

Christyn also relied on volume shooting, but her layups & the preceding penetration seemed to be more successful than Meg's. Good that she did some of her best work in Q4. One of UConn's most reliable FT shooters.

Nice to see Molly Bent running point, though coach hasn't seemed to be too enthusiastic for subbing her in for CD. Made some unfortunate passes, and avoided what seemed to be a clear path when she was ahead in transition and passed instead, but she got over her nerves and made at least one layup, also in transition. Knowing the team was without CD she knew she had to score, and she came through.

Finally started paying attention to Aubrey Griffin, and she showed potential, going strong to the basket and getting the ball through the hole this time.

Hoping Anna's injury isn't too serious. Hurts that she started out the game so well.

Could have been worse overall, and the Huskies won comfortably, 75-37. Unlike Temple's or Virginia's unexpected 3 pt prowess, Dayton couldn't keep it close, but UConn defense should get some credit.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Footnote. My theory is that after a blowout game, the shooting percentage takes a dive in the next game, a grinder-type. Thus Virginia blowout followed by Ohio State grinder. Dayton was a blowout though not a masterpiece of efficiency. Best would be a string of wins but not by overwhelming or underwhelming scores. With the long layover, it'll be interesting to see if the next game is a grinder. It might well be if CD & Mak are not fully recovered. But the improvement of the bench players is a good sign.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno should let Aubrey and Evelyn play more mins. Evelyn should not be afraid to shot, don't just pass the ball.
Evelyn did some nice things but she does need to move her feet more on defense. She doesn’t have Liv’s length so she can be beat and still block a shot. Evelyn needs to keep her body in front of the player she’s guarding, and if she does that, she’s strong enough to body opposing players away from the basket.

Reaction Score
When Anna went down, I thought, “Poor girl,” then I thought, “Poor us.” When she took floor in second half I thought, “Wonderful,” then I noticed she wasn’t moving right. I won’t feel better until I see her start against Seton Hall. I really think her play will determine the season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom