Dayton postgame thread [merged] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dayton postgame thread [merged]

Reaction Score
I live in Ohio. Got to see my second Husky game in three days! Here is what I think.

--UD Arena is one of the best venues the team will play in all year. Even though the crowd tonight was smaller than Sunday, Dayton again demonstrated why it is great basketball town. Their team is down this year but they still came to see a good show. They weren't disappointed. I wish DannyUConn was there to capture it in pictures.

--Dayton appears to be depleted. At least three tall ladies were dressed in sweats at the end of the bench. They are probably the worst shooting team UConn will see all year.

--The game was pretty sloppy at times. If memory serves, when the Huskies play two games in three days on the road, focus isn't as apparent during the second game. With the holiday in two days, I am sure they are looking forward to getting home.

--Other than Anna getting hurt, Geno got a lot accomplished. I hope Crystal back spasms aren't serious but I would not be surprised if rest for her became an order after watching the Flyer's on tape.

--Geno's class never ceases to amaze me. The Hall of Famer sought out Coach Green prior to tip off for a three or four minute chat. Coach Green did most of the talking. He doesn't have to do any of that. You could tell she was flattered.

--You can see Kyla's confidence growing by the minute. If she doesn't have Geno's trust yet, she soon will. Zero turnovers in 36 minutes. There are still things she can't do but the positives far outnumber the negatives.

--I now understand after seeing her live why Evelyn's minutes have been limited. I am not sure any grad transfer can adapt to the UConn way. There just isn't enough time. She is tentative and not nearly in the condition that she could be in. I am sure the staff has been in her ear but there is talent there. There are lots of obstacles preventing it from being shown. There is still time.

--I think Geno is trying to get Megan used to playing close to 40 minutes. Physically and offensively she can handle it. Mentally, she has lapses. She is taking good shots, I just wish her shooting percentage was a little higher.

--There were several fans Sunday with Bent jerseys. I hope they stayed in Ohio for this game. Probably a personal record for minutes in a game for Molly. She makes some odd choices, especially for a senior, but there is no questioning her athleticism.

--It is too bad that Aubrey spent time in Geno's dog house during the game. It would have been really fun to watch her get 25-30 minutes. It is easier to see her potential when you see her live. She just glides.

--6-0 with four of the wins on the road. Lets hope that Anna and Crystal are ready to go on the 5th.
I agree with a lot you say.
Aubrey got chew on when she was pulled from the game. She deserved it. No DOG HOUSE. She was taught, a lesson learned, and returned to the game a much better player. Teaching in games has been one of my complaints about Geno (Note he has been doing a lot of that for 20 years or more). Aubrey will remember AND KNOW what she did wrong. The DOG HOUSE lasts weeks not minutes.
Geno is as high on this kid as any of us fans. He has wonderful words for her and he sees her potential.
I hope she knows Geno is harder on those with potential than those without. Cheer Aubrey and Ania they are the nucleus of the team for the next 3 years--it will be a great 3 years.

Reaction Score
Hover over the 'like' link and a 'like' and a 'dislike' appear. I miss the 'love' button though.
Megan is now seeing what it is like to be an UPPER CLASS Man on a Uconn team. Lead by example. I cannot say she "put the team on her back in Dayton" she scored but Uconn would have won without her scoring.
What I'd like to see more of from Megan is: Driving to the basket. Missed shot don't bother me as much, they will come. Then too I'd like to see CW and Megan both scoring in the 20's. Ania dishes the ball as well as any PG with Danger out I'd like to see Ania become the PG.
We fans lamented the loss of Napheesa and KLS; where we asked does those 40 points come from---you have your answer: Olivia, Megan, Christyn, Ania, Danger Uconn has firepower.

Reaction Score
It’s still early in the season, but UConn is currently holding opponents to 54 ppg, 2 ppg less than last season. The “Liv factor” looms large so far this season... :rolleyes:
Olivia is a triple threat: Defending the Basket, Scoring, Assists . Little is written about her assisting but she has an excellent view of the floor and her brain doesn't rush things so she finds the open player. I like to watch her scan the floor for the open player. Olivia from this time last year has jumped many level of improvement--GREAT wasn't used for her performances, frustration was--hold on with OLIVIA every thing is up up up up. (Aubrey too)

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="meyers7, post: 3345639, member: 343"

I remember that play, I yelled "Evelyn wake up" at the TV. Then I thought, well there's an example of why she's not getting much playing time.
[/QUOTE]

At the time, I thought that she hadn't been alerted by someone yelling...perhaps Molly (?)

Reaction Score
Yea I know. Carrying the team on her back, averaging 20 ppg, 8.8 rpg, shooting 47%/47%/76%, A/TO ratio of 1.00. It's sad really. You'd think she would be better.

:rolleyes: Head bang

What happened to our "dislike" button?
You know what they call a player scoring 20 points and grabbing nearly 10 rebounds a game? MVP.

Reaction Score
If we keep shooting like this, we'll be fine. Want to see more "easy" points though. Tough to win against top competition relying solely on outside shooting.
If Olivia builds up the stamina and precision to make the turn around jumper over and over, they could beat anyone. Those are incredibly easy points.

Reaction Score
The most amazzzing stat(s) IMO [besides Liv's 7 blocks] was that Molly and Kyla both played 30+ minutes, and both played gr8! .. we haven't seen it before; will we ever see that again???
I, for one, hope so. They bring stability and the UConn way to the court. The offense flows as it should and it opens things up for Megan and Christyn.

Reaction Score
If Olivia builds up the stamina and precision to make the turn around jumper over and over, they could beat anyone. Those are incredibly easy points.
Ohio State defended Olivia intelligently. When she received the ball in the low post, a second defender would slide in and take away the space usually available for her fallaway shot. Good teams are going to do the same thing to her, so Olivia is either going to have to develop another move or learn to recognize the double-team right away and kick the ball out to the open player.

Reaction Score
It’s still early in the season, but UConn is currently holding opponents to 54 ppg, 2 ppg less than last season. The “Liv factor” looms large so far this season... :rolleyes:
Yea I know. Carrying the team on her back, averaging 20 ppg, 8.8 rpg, shooting 47%/47%/76%, A/TO ratio of 1.00. It's sad really. You'd think she would be better.

:rolleyes: Head bang

What happened to our "dislike" button?
In this particular game, her A/O is 0.4

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Play of the game: Ania diving to poke ball to teammate for score. Once Aubrey learns to control her explosiveness this will be a routine play for her. The future looks good
But only if Anna/Ania plays, correct?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Most of her TO's were the result of these epidemic first step pseudo travel calls the refs are calling and is a symptom of Megs aggressiveness. That is a good thing.
I questioned at least half of the traveling calls. Maybe it's because I've watched a few NBA games lately, but I thought most of Meg's traveling calls were questionable. Subtract 3 turnovers and add 5 points to her line for the game.

Reaction Score
Agree with Dokey on the play of the game!
Rebounds.....yay! 49!
Loved that everyone saw action.
Let’s build on this game and three cheers for Crystal and Anna on returning for the Seton Hall game! Happy Thanksgiving to All!
We are really Blessed!

Reaction Score
Liv has a very nice shot. Almost all her misses last night, including the one 3 she took, were right on target, but off the front of the rim, something that’s easily correctable. As for Aubrey, she did see some minutes in the game as Liv’s backup. Aubrey is a special athlete who has the ability to impact a game like Gabby once she figures things out.
Nobody is going to contest Liv's deep jumper bcuz if they come up on her, she - with her long legs - is only one bounce away from a layup. So basically, Liv's deep jumper is a [continually] "open shot", there for the taking, eh?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="meyers7, post: 3345639, member: 343"

I remember that play, I yelled "Evelyn wake up" at the TV. Then I thought, well there's an example of why she's not getting much playing time.

At the time, I thought that she hadn't been alerted by someone yelling...perhaps Molly (?)
[/QUOTE]
If Geno holds that against Evelyn, who rarely plays, then it is a good way to hinder confidence. Every starter has allowed that to happen. Someone needed to communicate with her to give help on that play. If blame is to be given it should also be given to Kyla who allowed the player to get past her. That is going to happen again and again to every player so, the more Evelyn plays, the better she will get at defending on a play like that, I believe.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
If Geno holds that against Evelyn, who rarely plays, then it is a good way to hinder confidence. Every starter has allowed that to happen. Someone needed to communicate with her to give help on that play. If blame is to be given it should also be given to Kyla who allowed the player to get past her. That is going to happen again and again to every player so, the more Evelyn plays, the better she will get at defending on a play like that, I believe.
[/QUOTE]

I bet Geno thought it was a hoot too.
I can see the coaches watching the film in convulsions.

Reaction Score
:cool:I have learned after following basketball for 60 years that if you score one more point then the other team you have close to a 100 per cent chance of winning...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Nope. That was one was on Adebayo. You can't have your back to the play when you're the cover in the lane. Not sure what you've been watching but UCONN's defense doesn't work that way. And I am sure he'll hold that against her. Did you see the look she got from the other players? They knew. And if they knew, be sure Geno knew.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

[/QUOTE]Evelyn is learning a new system and it takes some time for her to adjust. The teams that she played on did not play the type of defense that UConn plays and it takes some getting used to. As for her offense. she was the go to person on both of the teams that she played for before coming to UConn. That means that many of the plays that were run were set up for her. At UConn that is not the way it's done, they have plays run to have it where multiple chances are made and it could go to any of the five on the court. I believe that by tournament time we will see a completely different Evelyn, one that will be a BIG help in getting us to at least the Final Four if not another NC.

Reaction Score
Liv has a very nice shot. Almost all her misses last night, including the one 3 she took, were right on target, but off the front of the rim, something that’s easily correctable. As for Aubrey, she did see some minutes in the game as Liv’s backup. Aubrey is a special athlete who has the ability to impact a game like Gabby once she figures things out.
Again, right on about Aubrey. I thought that Olivia took that 3 mid way in the 2nd half. She was being physically beaten which leads to mental lapses and weaker legs. 3's are thrown with the legs, then torso, and arms any less energy in any of those cause short shots. One reason conditioning is very important. Also, why late in games Geno has an edge, usually!!

Reaction Score
Nope. That was one was on Adebayo. You can't have your back to the play when you're the cover in the lane. Not sure what you've been watching but UCONN's defense doesn't work that way. And I am sure he'll hold that against her. Did you see the look she got from the other players? They knew. And if they knew, be sure Geno knew.
Fortunately, and unfortuntely for players, all coaches are not GENO. Poor Evelyn, Z, other transfers in, had coaches that were not as detail oriented ! At this point we can't diss ( you didn't) Evelyn for the coaching she did not get.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
another nice article by yahoosports. (No Paywall)

Highlight quotes.

Olivia Nelson-Ododa broke a toe when she smacked it on the leg of her kitchen table last Wednesday and was limited in the game at Ohio State. Against Dayton, she had 14 points and eight rebounds. (I guess mentioning the 7 blocks would not fit the story narrative) :rolleyes:

“It was definitely better than at Ohio State,” she said. “I’m doing well right now.”

“I told Megan, ‘Every time you touch it, try to score,’” Auriemma said. “She took it to the extreme at times.”

and from the other side of the tracks

“It’s just the pace of their offense,” Dayton coach Shauna Green said. “They run it so fast, so hard, so precise.”

Imagine if she would have seen it with out some our teams deadspots in the game.

BIG PICTURE

UConn: The Huskies have an eight-day break before their next game, giving them a chance to get healthy.

“Hopefully when we get back, we’ll be whole,” Auriemma said. “Everybody should be ready to go.”

Reaction Score
Kyla was really good vs. Dayton. Her points were scored in the flow of the offense and again, she led the team in asst. She also did the little things that don't show up in statsheet. She's the first person to pick up a teammate, celebrate a made shot, and her vocal leadership in huddles is evident. She will be key component to the team's success moving forward. Well played, Kyla.
A+

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom