David Benedict Basically Blames Low Attendance on Us | Page 5 | The Boneyard

David Benedict Basically Blames Low Attendance on Us

Reaction Score
If this is going to be the attitude, then fine, but we can't have it both ways where it's "Connecticut is a tough market, you have to put a great product out there" and then we're wondering why we're not in a better conference.

It's the attitude everywhere though. There's not a program in the country that wouldn't suffer a huge drop off in attendance and interest if they went through what we've gone through the past 7 years. All the comments about schools like Auburn, Michigan, Notre Dame still showing up in down years are so off base. Those programs "struggles" don't include 2-3 win seasons year after year. Charlie Weis was a disaster at ND, still went to like 4 bowl games. Rich Rodriguez after a terrible start made it to the Gator Bowl and was fired. Brady Hoke went to a bunch of bowl games, had one 5-7 season and they fired him. None of these major programs offer unconditional support, if things aren't going well they demand changes. Those schools a. listen, so things never get as bad as they got here, and b. recruit well enough based on their name that the floor isn't as low as it is here.

I wish we still got big crowds. And if we had continued to pack the rent for the past 7 years that would go a major way to showing we deserve a power 5 conference. But after 7 bad years, 4 in which we were non-competitive week after week, that's not a realistic goal. Not here, but also not anywhere

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I

Blumenthal’s unbridled zest for the spotlight converted the Big East’s lawsuit into Connecticut’s lawsuit. That gave us a terrible reputation, especially when he sued individuals. He was (and is) a limelight hound. He hurt our chances. Big time.
Source? Mine is DeFillipo himself.

DeFilippo does not deny that BC opposed the inclusion of UConn.

“We didn’t want them in,’’ he said. “It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team.’’

Although BC and UConn are the only FBS schools in New England, BC officials were reluctant to give UConn any more credence. Membership in the ACC would do that.

UConn had already reached milestones that BC had not - including national championships in men’s and women’s basketball and a BCS bid in football.

Reaction Score
seriously???! why don't you just say it will take a NC to get fans back...
the team has never won more than 9 games in a season and yet there was a pretty good following at one point.

so let's just throw out complete garbage, hold the team accountable to a performance level they've never achieved, and get all frustrated when it doesn't happen. that's the fan-base benedict is talking to.

You.....you don't get out much I take it. Lol.

Reaction Score
Nope. It was about geography not hurt feelings. BC was always going to blackball us because, as BCU AD DeFilippo said, they wanted to be the only New England school. That's why they suggested Pitt as an alternative. Pitt was also a plaintiff in the lawsuit.

I can't believe believe billion dollar decisions were made based in hurt feelings. Geesh!

Reaction Score
Other Northeast Programs/Closest P5 Programs:
Penn St: 106,707
Virginia Tech: 63,214
WV: 55,946
Rutty: 39,749
Maryland: 39,643
Virginia: 39,398
Pitt: 36,295
BC: 35,924
Syracuse: 33,929[/QUOTE]

Wow, 107K for Penn State. I was watching a 30/30 program called "Requiem for the Big East" a while back. It's tragic that the Big East schools actually voted not to invite PSU into the Big East back in those days. Can't help but wonder how things might have developed had PSU joined the conference.

Reaction Score
I get what he’s trying to say. At Auburn for example, the fans don’t abandon the team in an off year. Going to games is essential. It’s mandatory for them. Even at schools like Miss State. When Michigan was bad they still packed a 100k stadium. He wants to create that kind of culture.

A. He can’t. It won’t happen in Connecticut
B. Those schools always have hope and are always playing interesting opponents

I think in a different league, with at least a chance of success each year, the Rent would be full.
Look if we had rivals like the Michigan’s and the Auburn’s etc, we wouldn’t have an attendance problem...so bring back the ConnFlict! LOL

CL82

Reaction Score
Look if we had rivals like the Michigan’s and the Auburn’s etc, we wouldn’t have an attendance problem...so bring back the ConnFlict! LOL
Diaco.jpg

Reaction Score
It's the attitude everywhere though. There's not a program in the country that wouldn't suffer a huge drop off in attendance and interest if they went through what we've gone through the past 7 years. All the comments about schools like Auburn, Michigan, Notre Dame still showing up in down years are so off base. Those programs "struggles" don't include 2-3 win seasons year after year. Charlie Weis was a disaster at ND, still went to like 4 bowl games. Rich Rodriguez after a terrible start made it to the Gator Bowl and was fired. Brady Hoke went to a bunch of bowl games, had one 5-7 season and they fired him. None of these major programs offer unconditional support, if things aren't going well they demand changes. Those schools a. listen, so things never get as bad as they got here, and b. recruit well enough based on their name that the floor isn't as low as it is here.

I wish we still got big crowds. And if we had continued to pack the rent for the past 7 years that would go a major way to showing we deserve a power 5 conference. But after 7 bad years, 4 in which we were non-competitive week after week, that's not a realistic goal. Not here, but also not anywhere

I don't understand your point. Should we tell people not to come to the games? Should we just leave the ticket sales positions in the AD empty? What is the reason for things like marketing, branding, and advertising if not to build a fanbase? If the record is all that matters, why bother? Nobody in Philly gave a damn about Temple football when they were winning all those games a couple years ago.

I recognize that I'm oversimplifying your argument, but it is possible to modify behavior if your message is focused enough. Condensing the entire discussion to something so opaque misses the fact that every product is contingent on continuous innovation. Every sales pitch is an appeal to some visceral reaction. The fact that UConn football sucks can be used as a positive as much as a negative. Between UConn and Michigan, which fanbase is feeling better about themselves if they both win six games? Which is the better story if they both somehow win every game? There is perhaps no greater psychological comfort than the allurement of progress, especially when it is situated beyond your expected arch. Both of these things are animately tied to identity which is even more closely linked to growth rate. You won't see much of that here because everyone kind of agrees that UConn football is depressing (and it is, but changing that entails more than just the w/l column).

Reaction Score
I don't understand your point. Should we tell people not to come to the games? Should we just leave the ticket sales positions in the AD empty? What is the reason for things like marketing, branding, and advertising if not to build a fanbase? If the record is all that matters, why bother? Nobody in Philly gave a damn about Temple football when they were winning all those games a couple years ago.

I recognize that I'm oversimplifying your argument, but it is possible to modify behavior if your message is focused enough. Condensing the entire discussion to something so opaque misses the fact that every product is contingent on continuous innovation. Every sales pitch is an appeal to some visceral reaction. The fact that UConn football sucks can be used as a positive as much as a negative. Between UConn and Michigan, which fanbase is feeling better about themselves if they both win six games? Which is the better story if they both somehow win every game? There is perhaps no greater psychological comfort than the allurement of progress, especially when it is situated beyond your expected arch. Both of these things are animately tied to identity which is even more closely linked to growth rate. You won't see much of that here because everyone kind of agrees that UConn football is depressing (and it is, but changing that entails more than just the w/l column).

No, I'm not saying don't find creative marketing strategies, and promotions, and anything else to try and engage the fanbase and get people to come. And Benedict and Edsall and anyone else can and should enourage people to come. I posted a sample message last page that I would love to hear from Benedict.

But don't act like its a problem that UConn's fanbase wants to win games. Don't compare us to fanbases like Auburn and say we need to be more loyal like they are, when "supporting the team through the thick in thin" for them is sitting through a down but still competitive year in between national championships, while for us its 7 years of garbage. Encourage people to go, sure, but I'd like to hear more appreciation for people who do that than shaming those who don't.

Reaction Score
No, I'm not saying don't find creative marketing strategies, and promotions, and anything else to try and engage the fanbase and get people to come. And Benedict and Edsall and anyone else can and should enourage people to come. I posted a sample message last page that I would love to hear from Benedict.

But don't act like its a problem that UConn's fanbase wants to win games. Don't compare us to fanbases like Auburn and say we need to be more loyal like they are, when "supporting the team through the thick in thin" for them is sitting through a down but still competitive year in between national championships, while for us its 7 years of garbage. Encourage people to go, sure, but I'd like to hear more appreciation for people who do that than shaming those who don't.

I didn't take it as shaming, but mine is only one interpretation. Since you and many others seem to have taken it that way, I'll acknowledge that it probably would have been best to word things differently.

Winning games isn't a UConn problem by any means. I do think that problem is exacerbated by how saturated the sports market already is. Forget Boston and New York - Philly, Baltimore, D.C., etc. are within walking distance of Hartford compared to some of the hauls people have to make to get places in other parts of the country. There is a lot more to do in general, I'm told, up here. The lack of an on campus stadium doesn't help.

None of that changes the fact that our fanbase is small comparatively speaking. From where Benedict stands, the best way to build one is probably to emulate the culture and tradition other schools have established. Sure, those programs are a lot better than UConn's, but the chicken/egg prophecy remains.

Reaction Score
I get what he’s trying to say. At Auburn for example, the fans don’t abandon the team in an off year. Going to games is essential. It’s mandatory for them. Even at schools like Miss State. When Michigan was bad they still packed a 100k stadium. He wants to create that kind of culture.

A. He can’t. It won’t happen in Connecticut
B. Those schools always have hope and are always playing interesting opponents

I think in a different league, with at least a chance of success each year, the Rent would be full.
If those teams were in the AAC those huge stadiums would look empty.

Reaction Score
I didn't take it as shaming, but mine is only one interpretation. Since you and many others seem to have taken it that way, I'll acknowledge that it probably would have been best to word things differently.

Winning games isn't a UConn problem by any means. I do think that problem is exacerbated by how saturated the sports market already is. Forget Boston and New York - Philly, Baltimore, D.C., etc. are within walking distance of Hartford compared to some of the hauls people have to make to get places in other parts of the country. There is a lot more to do in general, I'm told, up here. The lack of an on campus stadium doesn't help.

None of that changes the fact that our fanbase is small comparatively speaking. From where Benedict stands, the best way to build one is probably to emulate the culture and tradition other schools have established. Sure, those programs are a lot better than UConn's, but the chicken/egg prophecy remains.
USC football has been off campus for how long?

Yale even created a campus just for athletics away from the main campus. The men's lacrosse team that plays there just won the national title.

Reaction Score
I'm getting tired of hearing UConn tell me it's my responsibility to give them a pile of money now and we'll worry about success sometime down the road. I already did that, when I paid to go to school there.

SEVEN YEARS of losing. SEVEN. Mostly against crap competition.

And you've got the nerve to say "support us through thick and thin"? It's all thin, dude. There's no thick.

Reaction Score

USC is right next to the La Coliseum. You can easily walk from the USC Campus to the LA Coliseum. I mean many students have longer walks to class than to the LA Coliseum!

Reaction Score
The program has perhaps one shot left to get it right. This year is the very last write-off, low expectation season the program can endure and I’m not sure it can even survive that . Fan support is near a total collapse with maybe 15,000 diehards hanging in. Loosing Laslee and Grimes was as dumb as it gets, only to be outdone by keeping the worst DC in college football by miles. The scheduling is crap and further alienates the average fanbase. All that said, Edsall is about execution and competitive toughness, and I’m hoping that we see some of that this year and find a way to win 5- 6 games and keep the flame alive for the more casual fans. AD has few cards left to play so he’s really pleading with the fanbase by cajoling and chiding.

Reaction Score
This might be the fakest news in the world.

Unless these are total attendences and not averages?

2012 34,672

2013 30,932

2014 27,461

2015 28,224

2016 26,796

UConn, like most other schools, uses tickets sold/distributed (not actual butts in seats).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn, like most other schools, uses tickets sold/distributed (not actual butts in seats).

UConn has actually switched between both to lay political blame.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

Yale even created a campus just for athletics away from the main campus. The men's lacrosse team that plays there just won the national title.

USC is in the second-largest city in the country and, as noted, is literally NEXT to the Coliseum.

Yale has a great lacrosse team, but if that's the program whose attendance you want to emulate, then we're in real trouble.

125ish programs play on campus. UConn doesn't. Don't act like it isn't an issue- it absolutely is.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
125ish programs play on campus. UConn doesn't. Don't act like it isn't an issue- it absolutely is.

You really think if UConn played on-campus the attendance would increase?

I would argue it would plummet further. The only thing going for The Rent these dreadful seasons is that it is centrally located and a breeze getting in and out of (aside from the geniuses running the actual act of parking).

If you had it on campus, you lose everyone west of New Haven and I'd argue a lot of the Hartford I-91 crowd as well.

We can say, sure 125 other programs play on-campus, but let's face the reality that we aren't like them in many ways.

CL82

Reaction Score

I would argue it would plummet further. The only thing going for The Rent these dreadful seasons is that it is centrally located and a breeze getting in and out of (aside from the geniuses running the actual act of parking).

If you had it on campus, you lose everyone west of New Haven and I'd argue a lot of the Hartford I-91 crowd as well.

We can say, sure 125 other programs play on-campus, but let's face the reality that we aren't like them in many ways.
The trade off is that you'd make easier for students to wander over at noon. Having them used to going to games for four years is what builds a long term fan base.

For the longer commutes people would come and make a day of it on campus. That's the whole genesis of tailgating anyway. It would not be the end of the world getting in and out Storrs because the traffic would feather itself off naturally, just as it does as at the vast majority of campuses around the country.

Doesn't matter though. The Rent is our stadium for the foreseeable future. I like it as a venue and I'm glad to have it.

Reaction Score

It's not a question of building an on campus stadium now, that's obviously not going to happen. But, for argument sake, if we could go back in time to the late 90's; they absolutely should have built the stadium on campus for the move to the Big East

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom