David Benedict Basically Blames Low Attendance on Us | Page 2 | The Boneyard

David Benedict Basically Blames Low Attendance on Us

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Or is it that we play East Carolina on random Thursday nights and have won 6 games in our last 24 attempts and have the pleasure of watching for $35 a pop?
Winner winner.

*chief voice* Quite Frankly, we wouldn’t sell out if tickets were free. That’s 100% on years of bad product and a conference nobody cares one bit about. (To the two of you that care about the AAC my apologies)

Don’t talk to me about taking ownership when I pay year in and year out for this. Was that comment really for me? Of course not but why alienate the few folks who give a damn. Chiding fans to come back is a stupid strategy.

Win games. Ideally against a few teams we give a damn about.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Winner winner.

*chief voice* Quite Frankly, we wouldn’t sell out if tickets were free. That’s 100% on years of bad product and a conference nobody cares one bit about. (To the two of you that care about the AAC my apologies)

Don’t talk to me about taking ownership when I pay year in and year out for this. Was that comment really for me? Of course not but why alienate the few folks who give a damn. Chiding fans to come back is a stupid strategy.

I agree that we wouldn’t fill the stadium even if tickets were given away. I mean you can already scalp tickets for 5 bucks to any given game. I’ll buy tickets no matter what, but it does piss me off when I pay way more than the product is worth, our AD won’t budge on prices in any meaningful way, and then throws us under the bus to explain problems.

We’re never going to fill the rent again. That’s the reality. If we had a season like UCF we would, but the chances of that happening are slim. 8 wins in the big east excited casual fans, 8 wins here won’t be a blip on the radar

Reaction Score
True, but perhaps the context was Rentschler seasons only? I had no idea the school reported the 2005 season as a total sellout. That was a losing season, and so was 2006, without much of an attendance drop off, according to the figures.

Funny, I attended a few games in 2005 and I do not recall any games when the stadium was totally full...far from it for the USF and Louisville games, due to bad weather. I guess the AD is indicating every single ticket was sold for the whole season, but sometimes not everybody showed up. :rolleyes:

In those days the stadium was full - but the way the stadium is, with 5000 people milling around at any given time it will always look partially empty.

Reaction Score
To me this sounds like buy tickets now or else the program won’t be around much longer

Reaction Score
He is not wrong. The fans are also not wrong. Unless we catch lightening in a bottle and start stringing together 9+ win seasons and bowl games again - people aren't going to be that interested. And even if we do, and we are still in the AAC, people still aren't going to be that interested. Until we are a ranked team with a 5-0 record or something like that - we will never sell out another game. Unless we get a Michigan in our house again.

Reaction Score
To me this sounds like buy tickets now or else the program won’t be around much longer

I don't read it that way. I've said it many times - running an FCS program isn't free either, and football isn't going away.

At the end of the day we need players - and if recruits see an empty stadium I'm not sure why they would want to come and play for us.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This is slightly off topic- but the entire FBS is starting to have a competitive balance problem. The same dominate teams continue to remain at the top at all conferences and I think that hurts attendence as much as all the other issues going on with live sports. Fans are losing interest when there is literally no hope now or ever of changing which quartile you finish in.

It won’t happen, but one idea would be to reset the scholarship number to 80 and let teams that finish in the bottom half of their conference two years in a row get an extra 5 scholarships and also have the option of playing freshman eight games without loss of red shirt status. What I am trying to do here is give the bottom some help which will improve rivalries and expand interest.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't read it that way. I've said it many times - running an FCS program isn't free either, and football isn't going away.

At the end of the day we need players - and if recruits see an empty stadium I'm not sure why they would want to come and play for us.
But it would be a lot cheaper to lower this program down. I’m sure the school would like to eliminate charter flights across the country for a 3 win team.

I don’t want to see it but I feel like that’s the plan if things don’t change.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I’m sure we lost many recruits last year because of the stadium atmosphere.

Reaction Score
But it would be a lot cheaper to lower this program down. I’m sure the school would like to eliminate charter flights across the country for a 3 win team.

I don’t want to see it but I feel like that’s the plan if things don’t change.

Agreed - but in the scheme of things if the program is $3M cheaper - it is basically no impact to the school's budget, but a big hit to the school's profile.

Reaction Score
I’m sure we lost many recruits last year because of the stadium atmosphere.

I'm sure we didn't - that's not my point. But we end up offering a lot of kids that don't even consider us. Some of them would consider us if they knew they were going to play in front of a packed house every week. And of course all of our good home grown kids leave - because why would you stay home and play for an empty stadium if a P5 program wants you?

Reaction Score
Forget about filling the stadium if tickets were free. We couldn’t fill it if I and other rabid fans got together, bought tickets created a fan fund, and paid people $20 each to attend.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Winner winner.

I disagree on price being an issue. Movie tickets cost $20. $35 for a major sporting event is not expensive.

Now, have we been getting major sporting events? The objective answer is no. Except for WBB, whose fans don't really care because they beat everyone by a lot.

The schedules stink. The performance agaisnt those schedules has been a multipler in terms of fan disinterest. MBB has been able to bump the OOC a but to offest the lack of major BE rivals but it's clearly not the same.

FB has been even worse. We've had good teams like UCF and Houston come to the Rent but no one cares because they are neither big names or traditional rival. The FB OOC is tough because you need to schedule some wins. Conference play is everything in FB and the AAC doesn't pack them in.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Forget about filling the stadium if tickets were free. We couldn’t fill it if I and other rabid fans got together, bought tickets created a fan fund, and paid people $20 each to attend.

Agreed. People just don't care. It's not about the pricing at all.

The perception, and reality, is that we are no longer competing in a first tier league.

People saying winning will bring people back. I disagree. Nobody is showing up for an 8 win UConn program playing Tulsa, Tulane, and SMU.

I think a few more horrible seasons and an (expected) terrible AAC contract and the push for joining the Big East and dropping football will grow louder.

Reaction Score
I don't think his words were intended for the diehards (this board), but I understand people here taking it as a ricochet shot.

I think it has everything to do with people who constantly bitch about the conference, but don't do anything to support the school - like buy tickets once in a while. You can't have it both ways and I think that's what he's trying to say. Yes the product has sucked, but giving up on the program is compounding the issue.

I don't like telling other people how they should spend their money, but frankly it shouldn't be a chore to go to 1 game/year if you care at all about UConn Athletics. Even in the worst of times, you can have fun going to a game with family & friends.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The program really needs to land a top 3 instate kid that isn't an offensive lineman. The fastest way to create a positive conversation and renew local interest is to be able to say "Hey, I see that kid from X school opted for UConn over B1G/ACC offers. Looks like he might play Sundays. It gonna be fun to watch him on Saturdays here." A local star has the ability to re-engage the entire state like no other lever AD David Benedict can pull.

A savior scenario is that Edsall, Dunn and Crocker show a team that returns to tough smart football this fall (yes while losing) and a couple of those local early commits to big time football opt for the challenge to make UConn great again (and four years of playing time). You want to make a splash, get Taisun to drop Clemson for UConn.

Taisun Phommachanh, Avon Old Farms, Dual-Threat Quarterback

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I still think our saving grace may be just trying to hang on for now and field a competitive squad until 2024 or whenever the next realignment is expected. I truly think that when P5 becomes P4, almost all of the schools who left us in the dust (Cuse, bc, Pitt) will be left behind. Upper tier acc teams will go to the SEC or B1G and the leftovers will be scrambling. All we need is for Texas to decide to move and all heck will break loose. We could very well end up in a conference that’s more regionally oriented and includes our old rivals

Reaction Score
Even in the worst of times, you can have fun going to a game with family & friends.

Lol the problem is that no one wants to go. I am the only UConn football fan that I know IRL and I went to UConn... No one I graudated with cares at all. Getting people to go to games is like pulling teeth

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They gotta make some noise between Rhode Islade and USF. If they come home
for UMass at 1-5... they will have been forgotten by everyone in the month gap between Cinci and UMass.

Reaction Score
I still think our saving grace may be just trying to hang on for now and field a competitive squad until 2024 or whenever the next realignment is expected. I truly think that when P5 becomes P4, almost all of the schools who left us in the dust (Cuse, bc, Pitt) will be left behind. Upper tier acc teams will go to the SEC or B1G and the leftovers will be scrambling. All we need is for Texas to decide to move and all heck will break loose. We could very well end up in a conference that’s more regionally oriented and includes our old rivals
I think that is a possibility.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I think the idea there is a big reckoning coming in the early 2020’s is a complete fantasy.

Plus if the P5 becomes the P4 it ain’t going to be the ACC that gets hurt. The length of their contract looked like negative before - it might be their biggest strength.

Reaction Score
As Said already Winning cures all... of the team was winning 6 games a year and no fans cares that’s a culture problem. But losing by 40 at home on a Thursday night to a team no one cares about is a tough sell especially for $40 for below average seats.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think the idea there is a big reckoning coming in the early 2020’s is a complete fantasy.

Plus if the P5 becomes the P4 it ain’t going to be the ACC that gets hurt. The length of their contract looked like negative before - it might be their biggest strength.

Yep. Lots of moving parts in that mid 2020s reckoning and one of the biggest tools, the BTN money machine, has recently shown it too is not invincible (hello Comcast!).

The only potential game changer movers:
Oklahoma (leave its big fish - small pool home?)
Texas (leave and somehow learn to play nice with others?)
ND (becomes a full fledged ACC member?)

And the rest of us wait.

Reaction Score
We start winning and competing for championships in the AAC attendance will turn around. That’s the only solution for right now that’s somewhat within our control.

We are coming off 7 seasons of awful football. I’m as die hard a fan as they come and I love the game atmosphere, but there have been games when I asked myself why I bothered. There may not have been worse back to back hires than P and Diaco in all of college football and we’re now paying the price.

Edsall will right the ship, but this team is young and there will be more pain to endure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom