Dan Hurley reveals he aspires to be a head coach in the NBA for the right team | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley reveals he aspires to be a head coach in the NBA for the right team

Reaction Score
I'm really not that surprised. Yeah, I know he said he was staying, but that's always what coaches say until they announce they're leaving.

Reaction Score
I talked to him when he was at URI, he said back then that, the only way he'd leave would be if "an NBA dream job" came along.
On the football side didn’t Edsel go to Maryland since it was his “dream” job. The road to a nightmare can or may be paved with cobblestones of delusion.

Reaction Score
Two successful seasons with one more championship than Ollie.
Ollie was a loser by his own poor choices and probably infused with his domestic situation. Is it not time that he abandoned the kicking of the inert and unresponsive horse.

Reaction Score
Damn Mike wont shut the hell up and let Dan talk. Couple times he was making a point and this dolt starts talking over him. I really wanted to hear Dan finish his point on NCAA tournament distributions.
Can’t agree with you more.

Reaction Score
Yes.

Here are the facts that I base that on:
  1. Hurley has long stated his ultimate goal is to coach in the NBA.
  2. The Lakers head coaching job is one of the premier jobs in the league.
  3. The deal is rumored to be long-term. That is classic Hurley, or maybe classic Hurley's agent. They took the same approach with the Connecticut job, giving him a guaranteed amount of time to establish culture.
  4. This offer is going to be a sh.it ton of money. That may not be the be all and the end all for Hurley, but it's definitely a factor.
  5. Hurley has said that coaching at a high major level is a ton of time in that he can't keep that pace going forever.
  6. Hurley is 51. He has stated he doesn't want to coach past age 60. Say he's 53 and further say that in his head the timeline to get the franchise culture to where he wants it to be is five years, that would bring him to 56 before he's ready to compete the way he wants to compete. That gives him four years to make his championship run. I think the Lakers offer is accelerating his timeline by a year or two, but I think he was already considering leaving.
  7. Drew has graduated. If that wasn't the case, I don't think danny seriously entertains an offer.
  8. Lastly, and certainly not least, we have received the dreaded "next" in this thread. So it's all but official.
Umm 8. I don’t see a “next” in this thread.

Sorry, I see it in another thread.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Umm 8. I don’t see a “next” in this thread.

Sorry, I see it in another thread.
Yeah I must've gotten it wrong and it was in the other thread.

Reaction Score
Damn Mike wont shut the hell up and let Dan talk. Couple times he was making a point and this dolt starts talking over him. I really wanted to hear Dan finish his point on NCAA tournament distributions.
So damn frustrating. Done it his whole career so it shouldn't be surprising but there was more than 1 time i wanted to hear Dan's whole response but Goriller has to to hear his own voice instead.

Reaction Score
Yes.

3. The deal is rumored to be long-term. That is classic Hurley, or maybe classic Hurley's agent. They took the same approach with the Connecticut job, giving him a guaranteed amount of time to establish culture.
  4. This offer is going to be a sh.it ton of money. That may not be the be all and the end all for Hurley, but it's definitely a factor.
  5. Hurley has said that coaching at a high major level is a ton of time in that he can't keep that pace going forever.
  6. Hurley is 51. He has stated he doesn't want to coach past age 60. Say he's 53 and further say that in his head the timeline to get the franchise culture to where he wants it to be is five years, that would bring him to 56 before he's ready to compete the way he wants to compete. That gives him four years to make his championship run. I think the Lakers offer is accelerating his timeline by a year or two, but I think he was already considering leaving.
  7. Drew has graduated. If that wasn't the case, I don't think danny seriously entertains an offer.
  8. Lastly, and certainly not least, we have received the dreaded "next" in this thread. So it's all but official.
The long term deal part is suspect. Sure they’d have to pay up, but they’ll fire his ass without a second thought if they want, anytime they want - it’s the Lakers

CL82

Reaction Score
The long term deal part is suspect. Sure they’d have to pay up, but they’ll fire his ass without a second thought if they want, anytime they want - it’s the Lakers
Sure but if he's got a five-year guaranteed deal and they fire him they've got a pony up 100 million. For the record if anyone would like to fire me in exchange for paying me 100 million, I am willing to be fired as often as you'd like.

Reaction Score
Sure but if he's got a five-year guaranteed deal and they fire him they've got a pony up 100 million. For the record if anyone would like to fire me in exchange for paying me 100 million, I am willing to be fired as often as you'd like.
All I mean is that’s financial security, not job security (“guaranteed time to establish himself”). The moneys guaranteed - not the time.

CL82

Reaction Score
All I mean is that’s financial security, not job security (“guaranteed time to establish himself”). The moneys guaranteed - not the time.
Sure but you don't buy groceries with job security.

Reaction Score
The coincidental timing between DH's interview revelation and the Lakers' offer is .....a little freaky. Or a lot freaky. Not saying there's anything to it, just that it's bizarre.

Reaction Score
The coincidental timing between DH's interview revelation and the Lakers' offer is .....a little freaky. Or a lot freaky. Not saying there's anything to it, just that it's bizarre.

He gives an interview that suggests he'll eventually go pro, and the Lakers just went all in, as if to say, "sh....t or get off the pot, Dan."

Reaction Score
Question. Danny is going to get NBA players to be in constant motion, setting multitudes of screens to pass up shots for better ones and be totally unselfish in a 24 second clock when he’s outgunned in talent by 75% of his opponents? Yeah sure.

Reaction Score
Question. Danny is going to get NBA players to be in constant motion, setting multitudes of screens to pass up shots for better ones and be totally unselfish in a 24 second clock when he’s outgunned in talent by 75% of his opponents? Yeah sure.
Why does this matter? They're saying the offer is 5 years 100 million. Why hasn't UConn make an offer to made him the HIGHEST paid coach in CBB, over Bill Self? Maybe that doesn't keep him either, but its hard to turn down 4x what you're making here.

Reaction Score
Why does this matter? They're saying the offer is 5 years 100 million. Why hasn't UConn make an offer to made him the HIGHEST paid coach in CBB, over Bill Self? Maybe that doesn't keep him either, but its hard to turn down 4x what you're making here.
Nope. At 10 million a year his financial security is locked right up until he takes even more NBA money in 3-5 years.

Reaction Score
Not about Dan in particular:

I’m always struck by the insatiable need for more money. $3M a year is more money in one year is more than most will make in their working career. At $5M in your account you have enough to never worry about running out of money. At $10M you have enough to basically pay yourself nearly a million a year. Yet, guys making $3M a year want $10M and the $10M a year guy needs $50M and so on until your Musk bitching they won’t pay you $47 Billion in comp at Tesla.

Makes you wonder why enough is never enough, and how powerful big numbers are at persuading people to change their lives and priorities. You have a grounded religious guy, big on family, loves the northeast, making more money than he’ll ever need and can accomplish something unheard that can’t be bought a 3-peat. It will be interesting to see what he does.

Reaction Score
Yes.

I just mentioned #7. That’s how huge Andrew Hurley was to the landscape of college bball

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

I’m always struck by the insatiable need for more money. $3M a year is more money in one year is more than most will make in their working career. At $5M in your account you have enough to never worry about running out of money. At $10M you have enough to basically pay yourself nearly a million a year. Yet, guys making $3M a year want $10M and the $10M a year guy needs $50M and so on until your Musk bitching they won’t pay you $47 Billion in comp at Tesla.

Makes you wonder why enough is never enough, and how powerful big numbers are at persuading people to change their lives and priorities. You have a grounded religious guy, big on family, loves the northeast, making more money than he’ll ever need and can accomplish something unheard that can’t be bought a 3-peat. It will be interesting to see what he does.
While he will obviously get more money as an NBA head coach than as a college hed coach, his leaving (if he does go) won't be to get paid better It will be to try to win a title in the NBA, which is the highest level of competition in the sport

Reaction Score
He is probably better off in the NBA in the sense that its going to be a challenge to win at that level. At this point he is not only dominating cbb hes coaching circles around the competition. Hurley is on another level right now and its not college. I wish he`d stay and win his 5 titles over the next 10-15 years but he has said in the past that the NBA was his ultimate goal it just came a lot sooner than expected. Id feel a whole lot better if Kimani or Luke were his replacement.

Reaction Score

When your not making a lot of money your motivation is to feed your family, comfortable home and have a semblance of life style. Once your physical needs are met the only thing to motivate you is prestige and ego. One measures that by salary, bank account and how nice that the things are that you own. The only way to combat that is to have a good spiritual foundation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom