Dan Hurley reveals he aspires to be a head coach in the NBA for the right team | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley reveals he aspires to be a head coach in the NBA for the right team

Reaction Score
Larry Brown is the best example I can think of.
PJ Carlesimo and Rick Pitino!

There’s not many for a reason. I don’t think college translates to NBA very easily.

Hopefully he sees his Dads path and Calhouns path and realizes greatness is greatness.

Calhoun was almost woo’d to NBA with Butler. He made right call I think.

awy

Reaction Score
i think he will do great for a variety of reasons. but it'll be better if the org is a high functioning one

Reaction Score
His “leverage” is winning back to back championships, retaining and developing players, and being one of the best current coaches in the game. If he was interested in negotiating through public comments, he would have played the Kentucky thing way differently.
I lived in Western Mass when Calipari was at UMass and you're absolutely right.
Whenever there was a major opening Calipari's agent would put out the canned press release: Coach Calipari has no interest in the opening.
It didn't say he's been contacted. Didn't say he was invited to visit the school. Didn't say anything except that he has no interest at this time...........hard to have interest if they're not interested in him but it kept his name out there every time there was a major opening.

Reaction Score
This won't happen for a long time, I'm thinking about 8-15 years. He has said multiple times, he is no where near "Zen enough" to be an NBA Head Coach, yet. Keyword, being yet (and it may never happen). There is a pretty good possibility that he stays at UConn until he retires.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 6.51.21 AM.jpeg
Please don’t be real. Please don’t be real. Please don’t be real.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
This won't happen for a long time, I'm thinking about 8-15 years. He has said multiple times, he is no where near "Zen enough" to be an NBA Head Coach, yet. Keyword, being yet (and it may never happen). There is a pretty good possibility that he stays at UConn until he retires.

Didn't even make it 12 hours lol

Reaction Score
I was at the Meet the Coaches event last night in Stamford. Danny talked about how he sends messages to players, coaches, and others via the post-game press conference. He didn't mention podcasts, but he was likely sending a message.

To whom? We'll see, but I do remember Ned Lamont saying he had no problem paying for winners...

Also, FWIW, when asked what his favorite city to play in was, he replied emphatically with Storrs South...

Reaction Score
His “leverage” is winning back to back championships, retaining and developing players, and being one of the best current coaches in the game. If he was interested in negotiating through public comments, he would have played the Kentucky thing way differently.
Thoughts on the news this morning in relation to this?

Reaction Score
Thoughts on the news this morning in relation to this?

Already going on 20 pages. I am supposed to be doing a lot of work, and I am, but just not as much as I normally would do. I am a little distracted and taken aback as we all are.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Already going on 20 pages. I am supposed to be doing a lot of work, and I am, but just not as much as I normally would do. I am a little distracted and taken aback as we all are.
I hopped back on took a look at that thread and realized I had 19 pages to catch up on and wasn't going to do it. I took a look at the last page doesn't look like much is going on other than people offering their opinions as to will stay or will he go.

(He's leaving.)

Reaction Score
I hopped back on took a look at that thread and realized I had 19 pages to catch up on and wasn't going to do it. I took a look at the last page doesn't look like much is going on other than people offering their opinions as to will stay or will he go.

(He's leaving.)
Is that what you think Hurley is doing?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Is that what you think Hurley is doing?
Yes.

Here are the facts that I base that on:
  1. Hurley has long stated his ultimate goal is to coach in the NBA.
  2. The Lakers head coaching job is one of the premier jobs in the league.
  3. The deal is rumored to be long-term. That is classic Hurley, or maybe classic Hurley's agent. They took the same approach with the Connecticut job, giving him a guaranteed amount of time to establish culture.
  4. This offer is going to be a sh.it ton of money. That may not be the be all and the end all for Hurley, but it's definitely a factor.
  5. Hurley has said that coaching at a high major level is a ton of time in that he can't keep that pace going forever.
  6. Hurley is 51. He has stated he doesn't want to coach past age 60. Say he's 53 and further say that in his head the timeline to get the franchise culture to where he wants it to be is five years, that would bring him to 56 before he's ready to compete the way he wants to compete. That gives him four years to make his championship run. I think the Lakers offer is accelerating his timeline by a year or two, but I think he was already considering leaving.
  7. Drew has graduated. If that wasn't the case, I don't think danny seriously entertains an offer.
  8. Lastly, and certainly not least, we have received the dreaded "next" in this thread. So it's all but official.

Reaction Score
Yes.

Here are the facts that I base that on:
  1. Hurley has long stated his ultimate goal is to coach in the NBA.
  2. The Lakers head coaching job is one of the premier jobs in the league.
  3. The deal is rumored to be long-term. That is classic Hurley, or maybe classic Hurley's agent. They took the same approach with the Connecticut job, giving him a guaranteed amount of time to establish culture.
  4. This offer is going to be a sh.it ton of money. That may not be the be all and the end all for Hurley, but it's definitely a factor.
  5. Hurley has said that coaching at a high major level is a ton of time in that he can't keep that pace going forever.
  6. Hurley is 51. He has stated he doesn't want to coach past age 60. Say he's 53 and further say that in his head the timeline to get the franchise culture to where he wants it to be is five years, that would bring him to 56 before he's ready to compete the way he wants to compete. That gives him four years to make his championship run. I think the Lakers offer is accelerating his timeline by a year or two, but I think he was already considering leaving.
  7. Drew has graduated. If that wasn't the case, I don't think danny seriously entertains an offer.
  8. Lastly, and certainly not least, we have received the dreaded "next" in this thread. So it's all but official.
I was hoping you replied with a simple "no", LMFAO. Not that what you or I think has any bearing on what will actually happen.

One thing I was always thinking about and was reinforced in my head when reading Villanova SB Nation was how high they were about 6-8 years ago and how things changed and thinking that could happen to us UConn fans.

Another thing to note is that Dan Hurley and Jay Wright are friends and I am sure they have spoken a lot about the burnout of college coaching now compared to before NIL and the free for all transferring. However, Jay Wright did turn down the 76ers, hopefully Hurley turns down the Lakers. Yes, I am rationalizing big time with that last statement, but I am clinging onto anything at this point, LOL.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom