Dan Hurley reveals he aspires to be a head coach in the NBA for the right team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley reveals he aspires to be a head coach in the NBA for the right team

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
My only question is what the "right" team means to him. Does that mean local? Does that mean ready to win roster? Does it mean a roster that buys into his coaching style? I'd love to know what his priorities are.

Reaction Score
The NBA is a much tougher grind than college. DH has a chance to put his name next to John Wooden as the greatest ever, and forget about NIL and the portal making the job tougher, it seems to me it has made the job easier for the teams at the top of the food chain.

Stay with the college game and coach the Olympic team.

awy

Reaction Score
sounds like he wants to stamp a young and rebuilding team as his own and those opportunities are limited, especially if one believes in the northeast regional restriction.

but if you do have such a situation hurley would be a good candidate to call.

Reaction Score
He'd have to accept being nearly irrelevant compared to the star players.
Oh I have my doubts that his personality would really work in that role (and whether he’d retain whatever is left of his sanity), but there is definitely an upside to that role.

Reaction Score
I think Danny would only leave for the right NBA situation, meaning he would have earned enough coaching clout to choose a team/organization which he can handle.

The NBA atmosphere is so different with the power balance definitely leaning to the players, and his coaching approach would probably need to adapt. In his tenure here, he's already shown an ability to adapt, so I think he can succeed.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My only question is what the "right" team means to him. Does that mean local? Does that mean ready to win roster? Does it mean a roster that buys into his coaching style? I'd love to know what his priorities are.

I imagine that you can count the possible locations on one hand. From there you would need to remove the franchises that wouldn't be in a position where success may not be an achievable goal.

I'd love for him to retire here and do so at an age where he'd be close to eligibility for social security. If he feels he needs to prove something to himself by trying to reach the top of the mountain in the NBA, well, he has already given us more than we could have reasonably asked for.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I could see Hurley leaving for the NBA for the "right situation", but those don't come along very often. Most job openings are on full-rebuild wastelands, and the coach that takes that job typically isn't still coach by the time the rebuild starts to pay off. There is a Bucks or Suns situation about once every 3 years, where an aging championship caliber team needs to win immediately, but those teams are not hiring college coaches. They will hire anyone with championship experience, even if they suck (see Rivers, Budenholzer, Vogel). The "next coach after the rebuild" situations are OK, but those goldilocks jobs are also few and far between.

You want to be in a big market, but the pressure in New York, LA and Boston is brutal, so not too big. But the small market teams, especially those in the upper midwest like Minnesota, Indiana, Cleveland and Milwaukee, have historically had trouble attracting top free agents. New Orleans, Oklahoma City and Memphis just don't have the cash to compete. Some big markets, like Washington and Atlanta, seem to just suck year after year for no reason at all. You definitely don't want to replace a legend like Kerr, Popovich or Spoelstra. Basically, if Houston, Philadelphia, Chicago, Orlando or Dallas are hiring with some players on the roster, Hurley should take a run at them. Otherwise, stay in college.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I talked to him when he was at URI, he said back then that, the only way he'd leave would be if "an NBA dream job" came along.

Reaction Score
I’ll never understand it but as long as Murray is the next HC it’ll be fine

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Has any coach successfully jumped from college to the nba?
Rick Pitino, Chuck Daly, Billy Donovan.

More misses than hits, however: Dick Vitale, Rollie Massimino, Jerry Tarkanian among them.

Reaction Score
No Hurley at coaches road show tonight hmmmmm
Some of you crack me up making something out of nothing. Chill dude.

The Road Show will commence on Tuesday, June 4 at Kinsmen Brewing Company in Southington, Connecticut. The panel of Husky coaches will feature Women's Basketball Head Coach Geno Auriemma, Head Football Coach Jim Mora, Volleyball Head Coach Ellen Herman-Kimball and Women's Ice Hockey Head Coach Chris MacKenzie.

The Road Show will then visit The UConn Stamford Campus in Stamford, Connecticut on Wednesday, June 5 and feature a coaches panel with Women's Basketball Head Coach Geno Auriemma, Head Men's Basketball Coach Dan Hurley, Head Football Coach Jim Mora and Women's Soccer Head Coach Margaret Rodriguez.

Reaction Score
Hurley should follow his dreams when ready. He already gave UConn fans more than anyone expected. I hope he avoids the trailer trash nba organizations like the Hornets and small s market teams. He should hold out for something like the Celtics, or Warriors, Knicks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom