Dan Hurley reveals he aspires to be a head coach in the NBA for the right team | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley reveals he aspires to be a head coach in the NBA for the right team

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
sounds like he wants to stamp a young and rebuilding team as his own and those opportunities are limited, especially if one believes in the northeast regional restriction.

but if you do have such a situation hurley would be a good candidate to call.
I think this is the avenue he would pursue; take over a rebuilding team with some young talent in place hungry to do what it takes to win - a group that he can mold into his own vision. Wonder how much longer Pop plans on coaching...?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I feel like Tom Thibodeau is actually a good coaching comp for Hurley style wise in the NBA.

Reaction Score
I read it differently. Who works for a company and doesn't get itchy for a promotion or change? Even if the money is good, new challenges are always pursued and thought of.

UConn is the summit of college basketball. There are no more promotions, upgrades or even transferability. Not saying he is stuck, but the NBA is his only option for a promotional type coaching change and Hurley loves challenges. At UConn with his rate of success he will run out of challenges or things to prove. Add to that the new culture with transfer portals, NIL and college athletes being paid will force all coaches to evaluate their future in this new world of pampered, entitled and demanding 'rich' kids.

NBA coaching could use a cheerleader and motivating coach like Hurley. It could work.

Anyway a lot of this is predicated on future success, so even if he starts auditioning for the NBA, UConn wins. We have time with Coach, no panic necessary, we'll still get to have a few more Championships to enjoy.

Reaction Score
Rick Pitino was successful as an nba coach?
To be honest I don’t believe Billy has had a lot of success either…..took over a team that already made the finals & couldn’t get them over the hump & has been now coaching a Bulls team that has been mediocre to bad his entire tenure.

I would imagine certain nights Billy wakes up from a dream & thinks about how many NCAA championships he could’ve possibly won if he just stayed in college.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Wonder how much longer Pop plans on coaching...?

Retired several years ago.

I read a bio of pop Hurley recently, and he is even more impressive than I had previously thought.

He was a full time probation officer, and a part time bb coach. His bb salary was $8,500/yr. I have no idea if he had checks coming in from shoe companies, etc. But I have no doubt he could have jumped to nearly any college at one point or another and easily made seven figures.

His ambition was focused on his players and his teams, not money and fame.

I really hope Danny inherited those genes.

Edit: Ooooooh. Popovich?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The fire is gonna get stoked big time when/if we don’t win the national championship. He’s actually intending to win it again in 2025. He’s a machine and when we eventually lose, it’s gonna hurt. He’ll have a big chip on his shoulder again and plenty of motivation to win college games. That’s how he’s built.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Retired several years ago.

I read a bio of pop Hurley recently, and he is even more impressive than I had previously thought.

He was a full time probation officer, and a part time bb coach. His bb salary was $8,500/yr. I have no idea if he had checks coming in from shoe companies, etc. But I have no doubt he could have jumped to nearly any college at one point or another and easily made seven figures.

His ambition was focused on his players and his teams, not money and fame.

I really hope Danny inherited those genes.
He also made a lot of money from running coaching clinics. He turned that money over to Saint Anthony's to allow that school to continue. Miracle of Saint Anthony's tells the story of Hurley and one of his undefeated seasons at the Jersey City school. It's a good read.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
On the day we announce the Geno extension this comes out. Business is business…..leverage. At least for the next five years I think he stays at UConn as long as we can maintain our status as a top five program with a chance to challenge for a chip every year. I think he is concerned as we all have been on can we keep up with the P4 football conferences.

Of course life is fluid and things impacting his life may change. If we three peat it will be interesting since that puts him in legendary status and he could feel he has accomplished everything he can at this level.

But if he signs an extension that he likes and it runs it’s course after that he will be late mid fifties and he may decide to try something new. Just IMO.

Reaction Score
To be honest I don’t believe Billy has had a lot of success either…..took over a team that already made the finals & couldn’t get them over the hump & has been now coaching a Bulls team that has been mediocre to bad his entire tenure.

I would imagine certain nights Billy wakes up from a dream & thinks about how many NCAA championships he could’ve possibly won if he just stayed in college.

I agree, Billy Donavan is exhibit A of why not to leave the college game for the NBA, and Brad Stevens liked coaching in the NBA so much that he doesn't do it anymore.

Look at the great Greg Popovich who has spent how many years in a row tanking for draft picks? Seems like misery to me.

If you enjoy winning, building your legacy and your family life stay with the college game, if you want to be a bachelor like Thibs go to the NBA.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
His “leverage” is winning back to back championships, retaining and developing players, and being one of the best current coaches in the game. If he was interested in negotiating through public comments, he would have played the Kentucky thing way differently.

Reaction Score
I don't know. If that's what it takes for him to complete his journey and reach his goals? Go for it and I'll root to the dying end for him to succeed. He's already given me far more than I could have ever expected and I'm not greedy.

Reaction Score
Billy Donovan won back to back championships and then stayed at Florida another 8 years.

I doubt Hurley would feel "nothing left to accomplish at the college level" for quite some time.

He and his family have a brand, an association with northeast basketball at the HS/college level. Is he really going to want to drag Andrea to Salt Lake City or Houston?

Reaction Score
Hurley also said that players at the NBA level are not buying what he is selling. He foresaw a tough time getting players to buy into his coaching style. NBA players do NOT want to practices to be tougher than the games.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Wonder how much longer Pop plans on coaching...?
Spurs take Castle and DC in this year’s draft, sign Newt and Cam as a free agents to join Wemby this season. Then draft LMac (that’s the name I’m giving Liam this year) and AK next season.

Pop coaches them up, retires in 3 years and hands the keys over to Danny making them an unstopped force.

I like it.

Reaction Score
Two successful seasons with one more championship than Ollie.
Ollie’s championship was with a 7th seeded team, with players Calhoun recruited and developed. I don’t think Ollie ever coached a team seeded higher than 7 in tournament, and only made the tournament 2 of his 6 years. In 2016-17, with team ranked 18 in preseason ended up 16-17 and lost to 2 sub 200 non conference opponent s.

Hurley has made tournament 4 years in a row with back to back titles and back to back 30+ win seasons. His winning percentage has improved each season. The teams success is beyond anything I imagined was possible.

Reaction Score
W\If and when he is done at UConn, and that includes getting his son's career stared, the Knick's job is the only place for Danny in the NBA. Winning an NBA championship at MSG would be his piece de resistance.

Reaction Score
He's been saying this or some variation of this for years now. There is no new news here.

That being said, how painful would it be for him to leap to the NBA only to fail and come back to college at a place like Duke or Kentucky....

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
He's been saying this or some variation of this for years now. There is no new news here.

That being said, how painful would it be for him to leap to the NBA only to fail and come back to college at a place like Duke or Kentucky....

He wouldnt do that. If the above scenario happened I could only see him going to Seton Hall. He would stay in Northeast and he loves his alma mater.

Reaction Score
Damn Mike wont shut the hell up and let Dan talk. Couple times he was making a point and this dolt starts talking over him. I really wanted to hear Dan finish his point on NCAA tournament distributions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom