Dan Hurley/Kimani Young post game press conference | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley/Kimani Young post game press conference

Reaction Score
When TV Ted is still around, there’s no reason to think that refs will ever be held accountable.

Reaction Score
There's an obvious chemistry there between Danny and Kamani. Sounds like maybe the entire staff.
I think it has translated to the players also. It can be very valuable down the stretch.
That was enjoyable to watch.

Reaction Score
Honestly it's none of the Refs business if Hurley is amping up the crowd. Unless DH is adressing an official or doing something egregious they should buzz off and focus on the court. DH did little tonight to warrant 1 T let alone 2. Luckily it worked out otherwise would be a bigger issue.
Actually, as stupid as this seems, it is the refs business. Here is the rule from the NCAA book:

Rule 10 Section 3. CLASS A Unsporting Technical Infractions Art. 1. A player or substitute committing an unsportsmanlike act including, but not limited to, the following: a. Disrespectfully addressing an official or gesturing in such a manner as to indicate resentment. b. Using profanity or vulgarity; taunting, baiting or ridiculing another player or bench personnel; or pointing a finger at or making obscene gestures toward another player or bench personnel. c. Inciting undesirable crowd reaction.

This is what the head of officials will likely hang their hat on for giving Hurley the boot last night. Do I agree with it? No. But, the rules support what was done.

Reaction Score
He slammed the scorers table. That absolutely is a tech for any coach. The second one was a joke (which is why I compared it to Donny Marshall getting one for smiling)… but it goes back to my point that the refs have it out for him. They are going to continue to call techs on him. The M.O. on him is that he is a hot head and him continually questioning the league officiating publicly only worsens the situation. He really needs to tone it down.
He really doesn't. He's earning respect for the program and if we keep winning, at some point the league is going to have to answer for why the refs keep dogging one of their most successful coaches.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of the time Donny Marshall got a tech for smiling. The BE refs just don’t like Hurley and are going to continue T’ing him up and kicking him out of games. He better change its antics. It cost us in the Xavier game and almost cost us tonight.
You’re a broken record no one wants to listen to.

Reaction Score
Actually, as stupid as this seems, it is the refs business. Here is the rule from the NCAA book:

Rule 10 Section 3. CLASS A Unsporting Technical Infractions Art. 1. A player or substitute committing an unsportsmanlike act including, but not limited to, the following: a. Disrespectfully addressing an official or gesturing in such a manner as to indicate resentment. b. Using profanity or vulgarity; taunting, baiting or ridiculing another player or bench personnel; or pointing a finger at or making obscene gestures toward another player or bench personnel. c. Inciting undesirable crowd reaction.

This is what the head of officials will likely hang their hat on for giving Hurley the boot last night. Do I agree with it? No. But, the rules support what was done.

I'd like to be in the room when the head of officials tries to argue that "inciting a crowd to cheer for their team" is deemed to be "undesirable crowd reaction".

If crowd noise is considered undesirable, we might as well just stop playing all competitive sports at all levels and just play Wordle on our smartphones for eternity.

Reaction Score

The refs have very, very wide discretion on enforcing any of these provisions.

Giving a T for Hurley pumping up the crowd after the first T is barely reasonable by the letter of the law and downright pathetic by the spirit of it.

Reaction Score
I'd like to be in the room when the head of officials tries to argue that "inciting a crowd to cheer for their team" is deemed to be "undesirable crowd reaction".

If crowd noise is considered undesirable, we might as well just stop playing all competitive sports at all levels and just play Wordle on our smartphones for eternity.

I'd have to imagine that when the phrase "undesirable crowd reaction" was written it was meant for the "BULL-" or "AS*-HOLE" chants. Can't wait to hear the official BE spin-zone on why the 2nd technical was 'warranted'.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
It's insane how much power refs have. That's how you get situations like last night where they can make it all about themselves and face zero consequences.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Second T was totally worth it.

Reaction Score

1) Rules get overlooked all the time. I have seen dozens and dozens of coaches get a crowd to cheer, everywhere from middle school to NBA games without a technical foul.

2) The crowd cheering is not an "undesirable crowd reaction." That's a totally subjective call. An undesirable crowd reaction could be getting fans to rush the court, getting them to boo at a specific opposing player, etc. Fans cheering (instead of boo'ing that same ref, I may add) is actually a GOOD THING.

3) Just because you think Hurley is a jerk doesn't mean he was this time. Yeah, he deserved the first T pretty clearly... he might have even gotten it on purpose. The second one was unwarranted. Period.

Reaction Score

Taken out of context, I could see your point...

HOWEVER, what actually happened was the crowd reacted very strongly to Adama Sanogo playing the voice of reason and directing his head coach away from any further confrontation. Hurley fed off of that reaction and encouraged the crowd to roar in support of UConn. That should not have been grounds for a second technical, but taken out of context I can see how the ref would have concluded that Hurley was trying to show him up. I truly believe if the ref new the whole story and wasn't 50 or 60 ft away he would not have called that second technical.

That said, I'm sure Hurley is one of the tougher / more annoying coaches that many of these refs encounter and it certainly appears that they have collectively had their fill of his antics. I love that what happened last night happened in a game that we were still able to pull out over a top 10 team. Hurley will learn from what happened yesterday and I'm sure that while he will remain passionate and a little bit nutso, he will conduct himself in a manner that is less likely to run afoul of the officials in the future.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

HOWEVER, what actually happened was the crowd reacted very strongly to Adama Sanogo playing the voice of reason and directing his head coach away from any further confrontation. Hurley fed off of that reaction and encouraged the crowd to roar in support of UConn. That should not have been grounds for a second technical, but taken out of context I can see how the ref would have concluded that Hurley was trying to show him up. I truly believe if the ref new the whole story and wasn't 50 or 60 ft away he would not have called that second technical.

That said, I'm sure Hurley is one of the tougher / more annoying coaches that many of these refs encounter and it certainly appears that they have collectively had their fill of his antics. I love that what happened last night happened in a game that we were still able to pull out over a top 10 team. Hurley will learn from what happened yesterday and I'm sure that while he will remain passionate and a little bit nutso, he will conduct himself in a manner that is less likely to run afoul of the officials in the future.
^This. 100%.

Reaction Score

The 2nd T was entirely because the ref was angry/embarrassed that the crowd was getting riled up. That's it.

Absolutely pathetic and inexcusable.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The 2nd T was entirely because the ref was angry/embarrassed that the crowd was getting riled up. That's it.

Absolutely pathetic and inexcusable.
But you have to know your audience, especially those who control your fate. It is easy to see how the ref thought Hurley was showing him up, and when you do that to a person who has power over you it frequently will not end well for you.

I might be speaking from experience here...

Reaction Score
1) Rules get overlooked all the time. I have seen dozens and dozens of coaches get a crowd to cheer, everywhere from middle school to NBA games without a technical foul.

2) The crowd cheering is not an "undesirable crowd reaction." That's a totally subjective call. An undesirable crowd reaction could be getting fans to rush the court, getting them to boo at a specific opposing player, etc. Fans cheering (instead of boo'ing that same ref, I may add) is actually a GOOD THING.

3) Just because you think Hurley is a jerk doesn't mean he was this time. Yeah, he deserved the first T pretty clearly... he might have even gotten it on purpose. The second one was unwarranted. Period.
Poster thinks getting your home crowd to cheer is inciting an undesirable crowd reaction. I've never seen a college basketball coach kicked out of a game for getting his fans to cheer and I've watched a tremendous amount of games over the years. College basketball media is going in hard on that ref.

Reaction Score
Seems highly unlikely that a guy with no HC experience would get jobs of that caliber

I agree, and Willard is no where near a hot seat at Seton Hall, he has done a terrific job there.

Kimani would most likely get consideration from A10, MAC or AAC schools. UMASS could use a new coach.

If Georgetown makes a change I would like to see them go after Hunter at Tulane.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reminds me of the time Donny Marshall got a tech for smiling. The BE refs just don’t like Hurley and are going to continue T’ing him up and kicking him out of games. He better change its antics. It cost us in the Xavier game and almost cost us tonight.
The demeanor of Kimani was a great lesson. No panic. Cool and collected. Focused. Don’t think for a second different players didn’t show up in the last 1:30. They were focused, pushing and there was zero fear. As for Hurley, he’s dug himself a hole with the refs. Getting T’d and thrown out to pump up the crowd and team is not a long term strategy. He has to get some self control.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Seems highly unlikely that a guy with no HC experience would get jobs of that caliber
It did happen here with Ollie...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

If cheering is in “undesirable crowd reaction“ then there really is no point to playing games anymore.

There is a line, Hurley didn’t cross it.

Reaction Score
The demeanor of Kimani was a great lesson. No panic. Cool and collected. Focused. Don’t think for a second different players didn’t show up in the last 1:30. They were focused, pushing and there was zero fear. As for Hurley, he’s dug himself a hole with the refs. Getting T’d and thrown out to pump up the crowd and team is not a long term strategy. He has to get some self control.
I’ve been impressed with Kimani every time he speaks. Great sense of the big picture and is always on point. His demeanor on the sideline was veteran-like. His challenge will be to surround himself with assistants of his caliber when he gets the offer.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He was showing self control. He disengaged from the referees and turned to the crowd to get them cheering. Sorry, inciting vigorous applause is just not going to get you on the FBI’s most wanted list.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom