Dan Hurley/Kimani Young post game press conference | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley/Kimani Young post game press conference

Reaction Score
He was showing self control. He disengage from the referees and turned to the crowd to get them cheering. Sorry, inciting vigorous applause is just not going to get you on the FBI’s most wanted list.

Yes apparently the ref decided to create his own rules, coaches can no longer encourage the crowd to make noise. Someone should ask him about future rule changes that he plans to make.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I was glad to hear DH mention the 19-20 team as closing out the season as strong as any team in D1. I remain convinced that CV would've gotten UConn deep into the AAC championship and returned us to the tourney if given a chance to do so.
Thank you Storrsroars
Without a doubt
CV was a 1st team AAC performer and he was hitting his prime when the season came crashing down on him and the team with COVID cancellation
K Sampson loved CV and he said that CV was his type of player
One of my 5 all-time favorite Huskies

Reaction Score
The demeanor of Kimani was a great lesson. No panic. Cool and collected. Focused. Don’t think for a second different players didn’t show up in the last 1:30. They were focused, pushing and there was zero fear. As for Hurley, he’s dug himself a hole with the refs. Getting T’d and thrown out to pump up the crowd and team is not a long term strategy. He has to get some self control.
Kamani was perfect last night. One of the greatest stories in UConn basketball lore. He also did a fantastic job at the press conference. We seem to have a really strong staff.

Reaction Score
It did happen here with Ollie...
And we all saw how that turned out...

Young is a fascinating guy. I have no doubt that he will prove to be a very good head coach. I hope we can find a way to keep him a couple more years.

If the band stays together in 2023, we could be in for a hell of a ride.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Actually, as stupid as this seems, it is the refs business. Here is the rule from the NCAA book:

Rule 10 Section 3. CLASS A Unsporting Technical Infractions Art. 1. A player or substitute committing an unsportsmanlike act including, but not limited to, the following: a. Disrespectfully addressing an official or gesturing in such a manner as to indicate resentment. b. Using profanity or vulgarity; taunting, baiting or ridiculing another player or bench personnel; or pointing a finger at or making obscene gestures toward another player or bench personnel. c. Inciting undesirable crowd reaction.

This is what the head of officials will likely hang their hat on for giving Hurley the boot last night. Do I agree with it? No. But, the rules support what was done.
I found the crowd reaction quite desirable

Reaction Score
But you have to know your audience, especially those who control your fate. It is easy to see how the ref thought Hurley was showing him up, and when you do that to a person who has power over you it frequently will not end well for you.

I might be speaking from experience here...
The coach should not cower in the face of the referees.

The coach needs to show that he's the alpha on that court. I have no problem with how he handled it.

He should not be apologizing to the ref and saying "oh no, you were right".

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The demeanor of Kimani was a great lesson. No panic. Cool and collected. Focused. Don’t think for a second different players didn’t show up in the last 1:30. They were focused, pushing and there was zero fear. As for Hurley, he’s dug himself a hole with the refs. Getting T’d and thrown out to pump up the crowd and team is not a long term strategy. He has to get some self control.
A bunch of us were talking about it last night after the game - a few of us sit close enough that we can usually hear the coaches talk on the bench. As I said in another thread it was great to see Kamani and Tom M play good guy bad guy with the refs - I think the team reacted well to that style.
I will agree 100% that DH should not be thrown out on the 2nd T because while he was rallying the crowd it was clearly not to direct adversity towards the ref. However, it must be said that DH was doing hand gestures and saying little asides to all the refs from the beginning of the game that had him on thin ice - he was warned twice before the 1st T. And yes, a coach can be ejected for inciting a crowd but that was a stretch last night. The loud "ref you suck" chant, if DH led it or reacted favorably to it - that would warrant such action.
Unfortunately, DH has a target on his chest due to his antics and loose lips. Swearing at and calling officials Xrated names doesn't help his image. I don't think its a case of the refs not liking him, its a case of DH consistent chirping at the officials and then going a bit too far during the heat of the moment.
If it's a style he can't change he will have to face the possible consequences. Coach Calhoun could be caustic but he was not constant at it and he saved the harsh talk for his players. Maybe Hurley could pick up the Calhoun stomp when he wants to open his mouth!
He was, in my opinion, unfairly tossed at that time, but in my bones I felt he was heading for an early shower at some point of the game last night - he was loaded for bear.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The coach should not cower in the face of the referees.

The coach needs to show that he's the alpha on that court. I have no problem with how he handled it.

He should not be apologizing to the ref and saying "oh no, you were right".
There is a universe of options between cowering and showing up.

Nowhere did I suggest apologizing to the ref and saying he was right.

I do believe it was a misinterpretation on the ref's part, but the ref holds the power and has final say. When you are subject to that, it's your job to figure out how best to play it to your advantage.

I like the way it worked out last night, but I disagree if you believe that was Hurley's intent (i.e., to get thrown out).

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Getting T’d and thrown out to pump up the crowd and team is not a long term strategy.
From your wording, it appears you're saying he got the 2nd T and thrown out on purpose, just to pump up the crowd and team. Am I reading that right? If so, I'd have to say that's a pretty bad take. Coaches will get a T as a tactical measure, but no coach would get kicked out of the game for a tactical purpose.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
And in other news, Syracuse could realistically close out the regular season with a 4 game losing streak and finish with a losing record. But they get ACC money.
And NCAA invite - doesn't it always work that way for them?

Reaction Score
From your wording, it appears you're saying he got the 2nd T and thrown out on purpose, just to pump up the crowd and team. Am I reading that right? If so, I'd have to say that's a pretty bad take. Coaches will get a T as a tactical measure, but no coach would get kicked out of the game for a tactical purpose.
Not unless your assistant coach is an alcoholic named Shooter.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Norman Dale?

Reaction Score
I was really impressed with Coach Young's sideline presence he was definitely a highlight for me. I applaud his efforts.

Reaction Score
1) Rules get overlooked all the time. I have seen dozens and dozens of coaches get a crowd to cheer, everywhere from middle school to NBA games without a technical foul.

2) The crowd cheering is not an "undesirable crowd reaction." That's a totally subjective call. An undesirable crowd reaction could be getting fans to rush the court, getting them to boo at a specific opposing player, etc. Fans cheering (instead of boo'ing that same ref, I may add) is actually a GOOD THING.

3) Just because you think Hurley is a jerk doesn't mean he was this time. Yeah, he deserved the first T pretty clearly... he might have even gotten it on purpose. The second one was unwarranted. Period.
With respect to the 2nd T, both DB and the BE head of officials were both in the crowd. It would not surprise me if DB went over and had some choice words for him.

Reaction Score
And in other news, Syracuse could realistically close out the regular season with a 4 game losing streak and finish with a losing record. But they get ACC money.
………… and realistically “nose picker” could get another raise”.

Reaction Score
The crowd was yelling “ref you s…k”, and the refs could only listen. Lol
That's the best part... you listen to the crowd after Hurley's antics and it's all cheers & positives, not even booing. It wasn't until the referee issued the technical that the Ref You Suck chants started. Perhaps Breeding should've T'ed himself up for inciting the undesirable reaction.

Reaction Score
It's insane how much power refs have. That's how you get situations like last night where they can make it all about themselves and face zero consequences.
Who makes the call on which officials a team/conf use? Does the conf change who they use?

Reaction Score
Bobby Hurley.
I don't think Bobby wants to be an assistant again. He did it for 1 year under Dan at URI and went to Buffalo.

David Cox from URI would be a great get. Was Hurley's right hand man there, helped build that program. Would expect he'll be looking for a job in a few weeks.

Not a great head coach - but solid DMV connections. Great assistant. Great guy. Closed Tyrese Martin before he transferred here, recruited some great guards under Hurley (Jeff Dowtin, Fatts Russell).

Wouldn't shock me if Kimani got a shot at URI and Cox came to replace him.

Reaction Score
I was glad to hear DH mention the 19-20 team as closing out the season as strong as any team in D1. I remain convinced that CV would've gotten UConn deep into the AAC championship and returned us to the tourney if given a chance to do so.
I loved CV and hated that he didn’t get a chance to finish his UConn career on the court.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
He slammed the scorers table. That absolutely is a tech for any coach. The second one was a joke (which is why I compared it to Donny Marshall getting one for smiling)… but it goes back to my point that the refs have it out for him. They are going to continue to call techs on him. The M.O. on him is that he is a hot head and him continually questioning the league officiating publicly only worsens the situation. He really needs to tone it down.

Donny's was a "sarcastic clap"

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Donny's was a "sarcastic clap"
Animated GIF

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members