Dan Hurley Gone ..!!! | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley Gone ..!!!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Is it the ref's job to "look the other way"? Do you want a ref to "look the other way" when a foul/violation is committed?
Seriously? Yes, it is not unreasonable for a police officer to let a jaywalker continue about their business. A murderer, on the other hand...

Point being, refs are allowed some latitude. Breeding exercised it poorly.

Reaction Score
First tech was borderline at best. I was behind the UConn bench and Hurley was between me and the play.

OBVIOUS blown call on Rese going up for a layup - compounded by Rese getting blown for a soft call at the other end of the floor. Hurley turned and gave a two hand slam on the scorers table - while the refs (Breeding, who has a long history with Hurley) were all the way down the floor. There were legitimately 5-6 seconds between that slap and the whistle.

Now, Hurley turned away from the crowd and towards the court - so I couldn't tell you if he said anything or not to Breeding. But say he did - fine, MAYBE you call the tech there. Maybe. But the fact that the refs had swallowed their whistles for the first 15 minutes and then all of a sudden started calling a ticky tack game because they felt they wanted to be heard was ridiculous for a game of that magnitude.

The second tech? We don't need to re-hash but that was clearly a situation that was over and done with. If a coach can't get the crowd hyped up what are they allowed to do at home?

If James Breeding wasn't holding a personal grudge, and was just "trying to keep the game in control" like a few of the "fans" who had a problem with Hurley in this situation are saying - why wasn't Jay Wright held to the same standard?

2 mins after the Hurley call, Nova threw the ball into the backcourt for a clear backcourt violation. Ball was like 2 feet over Gillispie's head.

Breeding was at midcourt right next to the play, and kept the whistle in his pocket. The ref on the baseline 50 feet away had to make the call. Jay Wright came out to mid court screaming about the call (which was obvious), and based on the Hurley ejection should've been hit with a warning at a minimum, if not a tech.

The fact that Wright wasn't even warned is total BS and shows that Breeding is a bag of ass, should definitely never be allowed to ref a Hurley game again, potentially a Big East game for the rest of this year, and I sincerely hope he has diahrrea for the next 3-5 days.

Reaction Score
Heard from my friend in the Athletic Dept that Benedict had a phone call with the Big East today and made it VERY clear that the behavior that Breeding exhibited last night is not acceptable. Don’t expect a formal apology from the league, but it’s “unlikely” we see Breeding in the BE tournament. Just passing on what I heard 2nd hand. I really wish the league would grow a pair and stand up for their universities/coaches.

Reaction Score
Heard from my friend in the Athletic Dept that Benedict had a phone call with the Big East today and made it VERY clear that the behavior that Breeding exhibited last night is not acceptable. Don’t expect a formal apology from the league, but it’s “unlikely” we see Breeding in the BE tournament. Just passing on what I heard 2nd hand. I really wish the league would grow a pair and stand up for their universities/coaches.
Good on Benedict having Hurleys back here. It seemed like after the Xavier game he was siding more with the league than Hurley. Enough is enough with these refs though. Some of these refs are out of control and need to be held accountable. The fact that they get shielded is a joke. No other profession gets the protection like a referee gets.

Reaction Score
Breeding was at midcourt right next to the play, and kept the whistle in his pocket. The ref on the baseline 50 feet away had to make the call. Jay Wright came out to mid court screaming about the call (which was obvious), and based on the Hurley ejection should've been hit with a warning at a minimum, if not a tech.
To be fair to Wright, it was not a backcourt violation. Whaley tipped the ball and we got lucky to get the call

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
anyone know where this is coming from?

Reaction Score
I am certain that the Big East Administration is well aware of that second bogus technical and ejection on Hurley. Does anyone know if the official will be chastised or do they just chalk it up to business as usual against UConn.

Reaction Score
anyone know where this is coming from?

Reaction Score
To be fair to Wright, it was not a backcourt violation. Whaley tipped the ball and we got lucky to get the call
From my angle looked like it was above Whaley's hands but that's fair if we got one the right side of one.

Point being, Wright came on the court to argue the call and was animated while doing so. No tech.

Hurley turned away from the court for both infractions and he's tossed. Just not consistent.

Reaction Score
If that was JC, the ejection would be called a masterstroke leading to the late favorable whistles.

Was about to say this.

The narrative that every Calhoun technical was some genius chess move and every Hurley technical is an unhinged madman needs to stop. The first technical was exactly a time that Calhoun might have picked up a technical. And the 2nd one he did nothing wrong

In general, yea Hurley probably needs to tone it down a bit. The Xavier game was a good example of him getting a bad technical, criticize him for that fine. Not last night though

Reaction Score

Some true stuff in recapping some recent blowups . But too harsh. The stuff about security not having enough balls to eject bouk from the arena was pretty dumb as if bouk committed a crime.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Some true stuff. But kind of harsh. The stuff about security not having enough balls to eject bouk from the arena was pretty dumb.

Embarrassing article.

“Who can blame the ref for ejecting Hurley since security can’t keep the crowd under control?” is some all time dumb logic.

Security not kicking Bouk out of gampel as evidence for UConn games not being safe is insane. Even more insane is the idea that ejecting Hurley would somehow keep the crowd calm??

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Mr Rogers Clown GIF

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member