Daily Campus article - why UConn should go to MAC | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Daily Campus article - why UConn should go to MAC

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Perhaps surprisingly, I think the conference next on the brink is actually the Big East. The B1G has already cancelled those Big East/challenge series BBall games —and the Big 12 is on the brink of doing the same. Why should they help prop up the BE? The sooner we leave the better, before the calvary charge for the exits begins.
I think this is very insightful. Priority #1 for the conferences is killing other conferences. I am sure they would love to wipe-out the Big East to consolidate the best sports schools in 4 conferences.

Reaction Score
Basketball season starts tonight for UConn and the Big East, the best basketball conference in the country.

I know you're incredibly excited!
Not sure about that. But that wasn’t the point. Somebody said we would never join the MAC because we are a major land grant public university and the MAC members aren’t. I pointed out that we are in a most- sports conference primarily made up on mid-tier Masters degree granting urban private religiously affiliated schools. We are a major public research university. Why would joining a league for football with schools like Buffalo and Miami of Ohio be such a problem? Look I get we aren’t competing in the Big East academic league. But we should recognize that the NEWBIE is never going to be confused with the Ivy League academically when we evaluate other conferences.

Reaction Score
LOL so these schools are going to take a pay cut and add travel expenses to join the Big 12?
SMU took one to get into the ACC. And who says they take a pay cut anyway? Notre Dame is getting roughly $10 million for basketball and other sports in the ACC. I’d guess if the B12 took somebody they’d get at least what the NEWBIE gets now or will get in the next deal. (Here’s a hint about that. Be prepared for paywalls).

Reaction Score
SMU took one to get into the ACC. And who says they take a pay cut anyway? Notre Dame is getting roughly $10 million for basketball and other sports in the ACC. I’d guess if the B12 took somebody they’d get at least what the NEWBIE gets now or will get in the next deal. (Here’s a hint about that. Be prepared for paywalls).
ND gets that because of their football arrangements.
The only thing we can offer
is a good location for an expansion minded league
and Basketball Games
I thought the B12 flirtation could create enough dissonance in the ACC to get us in with either SMU /Tulane . But UConn Vision , Negotiation Acumen , and Marketing ability should never be used positively in the same sentence .
A good negotiation has to have a win - win feel even if they’re not equal. We seem to hear about a possibility and sit back while our fans fight over the offer.
I do think there is a shot we can get into the New PAC but we have to have something to offer . BB with SDSU or OSU
Why does everyone discount the AAC ? That’s a stupid move .
Navy was getting $4,000,000 as a FB only and it’s the most regional . Our AD knowing our basic schedule will be Army , Navy , Temple , USC every year let’s him concentrate on getting money for recruiting enhancement .
Aresco isn’t stupid we if offer some BB games . maybe it
helps him Land a BB only like VCU or Dayton and their better positioned if BB breaks away
if you don’t think out of the box your doomed to be confined to it.

Reaction Score
SMU will actually make more in the ACC than they were making. The payout from Notre Dame includes acc network payments, which the B12 does not have.

Until the big east gets a new deal, it's all a moot point but I don't know how you see the reports of Gonzaga getting $2-3 million from the B12 and think big east schools would get more.

Reaction Score
Why not? They put everything else in a conference made up of mid-sized Religious affiliated inner city schools most of whom don’t have baseball, never mind football and most don’t have doctoral programs or if they do they are limited to things like nursing or theology. If we are comfortable with them why wouldn’t we be comfortable in a league with major public universities. Miami and Buffalo are top national universities. Several others are solid too. Of course they are no DePaul or St John’s, or Providence. Good grief!
Lol! The MAC’s NIL football money doesn’t even cover gas and popcorn, much less have money for football recruits. If UConn goes to the MAC the football program will be doomed from any FBS invite perspective, and any semblance of real talent the team has now will be gone overnight. I can’t believe your flippant post, do you WANT them to go back to FCS?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Why on earth are you talking about the playoffs and New Years day bowls? If you're interested in that stuff pick another program to root for.
Late last week I had a brief conversation with a kid at work (I can call him a kid, he's a year younger than my son) about Bobby Knight (the kid is an IU grad).

He claimed Knight was clearly the best college basketball head coach ever. I obviously disagreed but stated he belongs on a very short list of the best ever and mentioned that taking over a place like Indiana made things a bit easier to get to three titles (they had two before he got there) than if he started at a school with a far lesser history.

When I mentioned JC needs to be at a minimum placed at the same level historically as Knight, he tried to refute my claim until I pointed out that at the time Knight won his third (and final) title, which coincidentally happened at the end of what was JC's first season at UConn, the idea of JC having as many titles as Knight and UConn as Indiana within Knight's lifetime (knowing he was 46 at that time) seemed far less likely than our football program winning a national title (FBS) seems today.

Our football program accomplishing something doesn't appear possible at the moment. I happen to be old enough to remember when the idea of our basketball program competing, beyond a stray game here or there, with the better programs in the country would have generated quite a bit of laughter.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Late last week I had a brief conversation with a kid at work (I can call him a kid, he's a year younger than my son) about Bobby Knight (the kid is an IU grad).

He claimed Knight was clearly the best college basketball head coach ever. I obviously disagreed but stated he belongs on a very short list of the best ever and mentioned that taking over a place like Indiana made things a bit easier to get to three titles (they had two before he got there) than if he started at a school with a far lesser history.

When I mentioned JC needs to be at a minimum placed at the same level historically as Knight, he tried to refute my claim until I pointed out that at the time Knight won his third (and final) title, which coincidentally happened at the end of what was JC's first season at UConn, the idea of JC having as many titles as Knight and UConn as Indiana within Knight's lifetime (knowing he was 46 at that time) seemed far less likely than our football program winning a national title (FBS) seems today.

Our football program accomplishing something doesn't appear possible at the moment. I happen to be old enough to remember when the idea of our basketball program competing, beyond a stray game here or there, with the better programs in the country would have generated quite a bit of laughter.
Yep. I remember calls in the media for Connecticut to leave the big east based on the notion that we would never be competitive in that conference. I remember just having the opportunity to play in the postseason, even the NIT, was a huge deal. Actually winning the NIT really super charged the program and the fan base s to the possibility of our being able to compete at the highest levels of college basketball. Fast forward to now, we not only are competitive but our at the very top of the sport.

Football is a lot harder to achieve success and then basketball. Think of basketball like a speedboat. It's easy to change your direction with the turn of the wheel. Football is more like a super tanker. You can make all the right moves to turn the ship, but it's gonna keep going in the same direction for a long time.

NIL, the portal and the change of the structure of finances for football have made it incredibly hard for us to change our status in the college football world. All we can do is keep plugging along, but this season I have my doubts about whether it is possible.

Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun is the entire reason UConn Basketball was able to turn the corner. He went out and did things which were very difficult to do. Land Chris Smith. The experienced Nadav Henefeld. The unbelievable recruiting class of 1991 with the Marshall Plan. UConn Football might need a team of guys to make such a difference and perhaps Jim Mora is the guy to lead the charge. We need difference makers. Sanders at Colorado is a difference maker. Plugging along as an independent isn't going to make a difference given how stacked the deck is.

Reaction Score

All of that was accomplished while a member of the Big East and in a different time with regards to transfers & NIL.

Could JC have accomplished all of that with todays rules playing a random independent schedule?

Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun is the entire reason UConn Basketball was able to turn the corner. He went out and did things which were very difficult to do. Land Chris Smith. The experienced Nadav Henefeld. The unbelievable recruiting class of 1991 with the Marshall Plan. UConn Football might need a team of guys to make such a difference and perhaps Jim Mora is the guy to lead the charge. We need difference makers. Sanders at Colorado is a difference maker. Plugging along as an independent isn't going to make a difference given how stacked the deck is.
It was also Lew Perkins railroading the building of Gampel Pavilion around the same time the Uconn Men and UConn women turned the basketball corner. Gampel was critical to the success of both programs.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
It was also Lew Perkins railroading the building of Gampel Pavilion around the same time the Uconn Men and UConn women turned the basketball corner. Gampel was critical to the success of both programs.

Not sure what you mean by railroading. Normally that term has a negative connotation.

For the record, Gampel was built under Toner (with quite a bit of push by JC). Lew didn't arrive until the summer of 1990.

Reaction Score
All of that was accomplished while a member of the Big East and in a different time with regards to transfers & NIL.

Could JC have accomplished all of that with todays rules playing a random independent schedule?

The answer is definitely no. He wouldn’t have gone as far.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Yeah, we're not an independent in basketball. If you're asking could Calhoun succeed today, in basketball, with the portal and NIL, the answer is definitely. Calhoun just has a brilliant mind for the game, taking advantage of the opportunities that exist, and putting his players in situations in which they can succeed. One of the all-time greats.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score

Under the assumption that an Independent basketball program could have been a possibility, I really need someone to explain why he couldn't.

One (of many) running reasons we would never be able to compete in the BE when JC took over was that with ESPN televising games and the bulk of the talent coming from urban environments, we could never recruit to a rural campus. Georgetown, St John's, Villanova, Syracuse, Seton Hall, BC, even Pitt and Providence had too many built in advantages.

Guess what, JC formulated a plan (recruit outside of the BE footprint until he had teams capable of competing) and built the program in spite of the detractors claiming it wasn't possible.

There are few things easier than coming up with excuses why things can't be done and then using those excuses as a reason for failure.

If JC had a basketball version of what our football schedules have been-will be from 2022-2028 he absolutely would have found a way to sell recruits on the prospect of visiting the most iconic venue (the Big House), one of the largest, most unique (Tennessee, 100k and people tailgate from boats on the river), hosting ranked programs (Liberty, NC St & Duke in two seasons). Our schedule as an independent is far from our biggest concern. The right coach (hopefully it is Mora) needs to embrace the fact that his recruits will play the name schools that are on our future schedules. He needs to get the kids to prefer having a chip on their shoulders (not wanted by any conference) when they play.

I have no doubt that HC could have pulled off something similar to what he did if the conditions more resembled what our football program is currently facing.

Reaction Score
Not sure what you mean by railroading. Normally that term has a negative connotation.

For the record, Gampel was built under Toner (with quite a bit of push by JC). Lew didn't arrive until the summer of 1990.
I realized my mistake right after the 5min time limit. Yeah, Toner was the guy that pushed it through just around the end of the decade, along with Calhoun and Geno. Bad choice of words on “railroading”, sorry. My point was that both programs really took off at that point.

Reaction Score
I have more opportunity to catch a MAC game flipping through the channels on a Wednesday night than watching college football on Saturday afternoon. Those are just the realities of my current home situation. Let's go Rockets!

University Of Toledo Sport GIF by Toledo Rockets

Reaction Score
I have more opportunity to catch a MAC game flipping through the channels on a Wednesday night than watching college football on Saturday afternoon. Those are just the realities of my current home situation. Let's go Rockets!

University Of Toledo Sport GIF by Toledo Rockets
I’ve been watching the games. They’re pretty entertaining for the most part.

Reaction Score
Big East should bring back a FB side. Have a FB division set up on the olympic sports side so precious rivalries like Seton Hall/PC remain undisturbed.

Go out and kick the tires on Oregon State and Washington State. Bring back USF and Temple. Try and pluck a few from the AAC (Memphis, Tulane) and MW (SDSU and Boise). Be the 1st league to sell FB rights apart from the BB side of things and grow your league like other power conferences are doing. Those aren't terrible BB adds either.
No MAC

Reaction Score
Big East should bring back a FB side. Have a FB division set up on the olympic sports side so precious rivalries like Seton Hall/PC remain undisturbed.

Go out and kick the tires on Oregon State and Washington State. Bring back USF and Temple. Try and pluck a few from the AAC (Memphis, Tulane) and MW (SDSU and Boise). Be the 1st league to sell FB rights apart from the BB side of things and grow your league like other power conferences are doing. Those aren't terrible BB adds either.
No to adding basketball teams. Presently there is a balanced schedule with home/away games with each team in the conference. Adding new teams would probably necessitate a schedule where some years you only play a team once,

Reaction Score

They’ll never do it.

They exist to get away from football.

They are content being a side dish.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score

Isn't this exactly the motley crew of schools they quit the first time

Reaction Score

I wish those schools Noey mentioned would just band together, fight the NCAA and make a football only conference.

Have Oregon State and WSU plop the less relevant sports into the WCC.

Reaction Score
The calculus has changed. The B1G, ACC, and Big12 all got bigger. Any new additions to the P?, conferences are going to have to play for free.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom