Daily Campus article - why UConn should go to MAC | The Boneyard

Daily Campus article - why UConn should go to MAC

Reaction Score
Something to think about football only... the league is a little different. You get to play games early in the week on the regular which is definitely different...but the competitioand affiliation may benefit us to ascend to another conference. It's kinda clear that we've got to show we belong before higher level conferences consider us.

Reaction Score
We would be competing in a conference with 8-million-dollar football programs. You can justify cutting 8 mil from ours which you will never get back. You don't understand about playing in Texas, Florida and GA? Last year Mora was talking about getting into the ACC, this year the B12. When he now talks about getting into a conference is he now referencing CUSA, MAC? Any conference?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Conference schedules are growing and independents are dwindling. Writing is on the wall with Army to the AAC. Can’t stay independent for ever and the MAC is a moderately regional conference who has had very successful programs.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I'm one of the biggest football boosters on here, and I understand the initial reaction to say, "NO!" However, there may be some merit to this plan long-term:
  1. We are perceived as football losers. The perception is we abandoned football when we left the American for the Big East. Being in this situation with UMass perpetuates the view that New England has bad football.
  2. Since we are perceived as football losers, no real conference wants to take a chance on us. All other sports, including hoops, are great, but football is king.
  3. Since we are perceived as football losers, it makes recruiting very difficult. This perpetuates the problem since we keep losing.
  4. The MAC has some decent football teams, schools, and TV exposure. Buffalo is a New York flagship state university with AAU status.
  5. Thanks to our facilities and other sports, we will be a big fish in the MAC football pond, which means we may starting winning!
  6. If we start winning, we will get positive football exposure.
  7. If we get positive football exposure, we will be in a stronger position when the ACC dissolves, B1G expands, etc.
  8. We can still schedule some ACC and other teams each year.
I support the move. Let's go to the MAC for football only.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
I say UConn to MWC for football only. We give them an EST scheduling slot and a presence in the northeast/NY. They get a large state school with potential to succeed in football given better resources and opportunities. The travel doesn't really matter since it's only for football. Wouldn't you guys rather go to games against Wyoming and Colorado State than .. I don't feel like googling who is in the MAC?

Don't get me wrong. I'd rather be in the B12 or ACC but we shouldn't even be considering the MAC. Might as well drop to D2.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I say UConn to MWC for football only. We give them an EST scheduling slot and a presence in the northeast/NY. They get a large state school with potential to succeed in football given better resources and opportunities. The travel doesn't really matter since it's only for football. Wouldn't you guys rather go to games against Wyoming and Colorado State than .. I don't feel like googling who is in the MAC?

Don't get me wrong. I'd rather be in the B12 or ACC but we shouldn't even be considering the MAC. Might as well drop to D2.
D2? We’re now jumping over FCS to D2?

Reaction Score
If we had only 1,000 travel to a game at BC, how many would we get to a game in Ohio....maybe 50-75? Those are mediocre schools with no athletic accomplishments and located in dumpy areas. Akron is a pit. Ohio U has an attractive campus but the town Athens OH is weak. Would rather be back in the AAC if independent status is killed.

Reaction Score
Conference schedules are growing and independents are dwindling. Writing is on the wall with Army to the AAC. Can’t stay independent for ever and the MAC is a moderately regional conference who has had very successful programs.
I think that’s the issue - scheduling. As these power conferences get bigger they are going to reduce scheduling OOC.

Reaction Score
Ultimately I think after the good football teams are raided from the ACC, UCONN will get an invite. Unfortunately the football conference will be AAC or worse quality by that point . . . and the tv contract will be similar.

Reaction Score
If we had only 1,000 travel to a game at BC, how many would we get to a game in Ohio....maybe 50-75? Those are mediocre schools with no athletic accomplishments and located in dumpy areas. Akron is a pit. Ohio U has an attractive campus but the town Athens OH is weak. Would rather be back in the AAC if independent status is killed.

We may have only had 1k travel to BC through the school, but there were far more UConn fans in the stands on Saturday than that.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I think that’s the issue - scheduling. As these power conferences get bigger they are going to reduce scheduling OOC.
Correct

“We were able to schedule Cuse and BC and blah blah blah.” When Cuse and BC are adding games vs SMU and Cal what happens to those games? These leagues will be going to 10 game conference schedules sooner than later and we’ll be lucky to have MAC games if any.

Reaction Score
Something to think about football only... the league is a little different. You get to play games early in the week on the regular which is definitely different...but the competitioand affiliation may benefit us to ascend to another conference. It's kinda clear that we've got to show we belong before higher level conferences consider us.

His premise is somewhat sound.

If we continued to apply our current resources into a conference like the MAC one would think we would be very strong in that conference. Almost like a Gonzaga model.

The only issue I have is that we should have already done this when we were in the AAC.

That was our chance to distinguish ourselves but instead we fumbled the football.

Reaction Score
I'm one of the biggest football boosters on here, and I understand the initial reaction to say, "NO!" However, there may be some merit to this plan long-term:
  1. We are perceived as football losers. The perception is we abandoned football when we left the American for the Big East. Being in this situation with UMass perpetuates the view that New England has bad football.
  2. Since we are perceived as football losers, no real conference wants to take a chance on us. All other sports, including hoops, are great, but football is king.
  3. Since we are perceived as football losers, it makes recruiting very difficult. This perpetuates the problem since we keep losing.
  4. The MAC has some decent football teams, schools, and TV exposure. Buffalo is a New York flagship state university with AAU status.
  5. Thanks to our facilities and other sports, we will be a big fish in the MAC football pond, which means we may starting winning!
  6. If we start winning, we will get positive football exposure.
  7. If we get positive football exposure, we will be in a stronger position when the ACC dissolves, B1G expands, etc.
  8. We can still schedule some ACC and other teams each year.
I support the move. Let's go to the MAC for football only.
Getting good players from the portal and recruiting in general I think would take a hit. Also what kind of NIL money would players have chance at getting in the MAC vs remaining an independent with a tougher schedule? Heading for the MAC might have some small advantages but I think the disadvantages far outweigh them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom