Daily Campus article - why UConn should go to MAC | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Daily Campus article - why UConn should go to MAC

Reaction Score
UConn would never join the MAC, it’s a Land Grant state university. The BOT would never let it happen as long as the football program remained FBS.

I think you've nailed it. That distinction is so important in the world of big-time college football that you should immediately rip the UConn/ Connecticut lettering off your football jerseys and instead emblazon LAND GRANT STATE UNIVERSITY on them. Ditto the Block C and Husky logos on helmets. Nothing would more impress the dwindling number of independents and P-programs you'll be able to schedule in the coming years. In addition, if and when your band shows up for home games, it could spell out LAND GRANT STATE UNIVERSITY on the field, much like Ohio State's iconic script-Ohio formation. It would be a real crowd pleaser.

Sadly, some of you folks have deluded yourselves into thinking UConn is too good for the MAC or any other G conference. You know, Jim Mora will be your salvation, etc. In fact, UConn is no longer good enough. You should have stayed and toughed it out in the AAC.

Since my opinions run counter to most, please feel free to label me a troll.

Reaction Score
I think you've nailed it. That distinction is so important in the world of big-time college football that you should immediately rip the UConn/ Connecticut lettering off your football jerseys and instead emblazon LAND GRANT STATE UNIVERSITY on them. Ditto the Block C and Husky logos on helmets. Nothing would more impress the dwindling number of independents and P-programs you'll be able to schedule in the coming years. In addition, if and when your band shows up for home games, it could spell out LAND GRANT STATE UNIVERSITY on the field, much like Ohio State's iconic script-Ohio formation. It would be a real crowd pleaser.

Sadly, some of you folks have deluded yourselves into thinking UConn is too good for the MAC or any other G conference. You know, Jim Mora will be your salvation, etc. In fact, UConn is no longer good enough. You should have stayed and toughed it out in the AAC.

Exactly. As if there is some sort of secret club of Land Grant Schools.

Reaction Score

Also we would would have stayed in the AAC as a football only if they would have let us.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
For the record, Gampel was built under Toner (with quite a bit of push by JC). Lew didn't arrive until the summer of 1990.
Toner was gone as AD before ground was broken, given a ceremonial oversight job. Todd Turner was the AD that brought the UConn athletic department out of the dark ages.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

Lol the number of P4s we are scheduling is going up not down.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Also we would would have stayed in the AAC as a football only if they would have let us.
No conference that played football, including the MAC, was interested in letting us join just for football. I don’t know why this is even a topic.

All we can do is wait and hope Mora can fix some things.

Reaction Score
the MAC does give national exposure with its scheduling, which is nice.

Reaction Score
No conference that played football, including the MAC, was interested in letting us join just for football. I don’t know why this is even a topic.

I think the last thing UConn should do is wait and hope Mora can fix some things. Yes, hopefully he turns this around. But we need other things to happen. Not sure what they are, but winning alone isn't going to be enough to change the situation.

Reaction Score

Sounds an awful lot like “monitoring the situation”.

132/133

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sounds an awful lot like “monitoring the situation”.

132/133
If they are now interested, great. When we went Indy, they were not, as you said about the AAC. UConn did check.

Reaction Score
If they are now interested, great. When we went Indy, they were not, as you said about the AAC. UConn did check.

They may not be. CUSA made some overtures to us for sure but were rebuffed.

The funny thing is that as UConn fans think we are too good for these leagues but I would say when it comes to the MAC and the AAC, that feeling is mutual.

We would have to bargain and negotiate our way back in.

Without membership I think we need to look into making the schedule more manageable. Otherwise the misery is going to continue, and it’s just completely unnecessary.

Reaction Score
Toner was gone as AD before ground was broken, given a ceremonial oversight job. Todd Turner was the AD that brought the UConn athletic department out of the dark ages.
Turner lasted less than 3 years, Gampel was well under way when he got there, Toner and Perkins(and Harry Hartley) built it, Turner was just along for the ride

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
They may not be. CUSA made some overtures to us for sure but were rebuffed.

The funny thing is that as UConn fans think we are too good for these leagues but I would say when it comes to the MAC and the AAC, that feeling is mutual.

We would have to bargain and negotiate our way back in.

Without membership I think we need to look into making the schedule more manageable. Otherwise the misery is going to continue, and it’s just completely unnecessary.

The AAC's unwillingness is pretty obvious - it's 100% about us leaving them.

The MAC? Maybe a sprinkling of their UMass experiment, but the dynamics have changed since that happened too. We're also clearly not, in 100M years, considering an all-sports park there, which may be enough of an issue to scuttle the whole thing.

At least you're opening up to the idea that it may not be feasible. Maybe you'll stop lashing out at anyone who says this won't happen, and using "132/133" like it's some kind of mic drop? (It's not)

Reaction Score
Exactly. As if there is some sort of secret club of Land Grant Schools.

An idea ahead ot its time...A Land Grant Northeast league...UMass, U of Rhode Island, U of Maine, Cornell, U of Vermont, U of New Hampshire, UConn...

Which doesn't fit ?

Reaction Score
An idea ahead ot its time...A Land Grant Northeast league...UMass, U of Rhode Island, U of Maine, Cornell, U of Vermont, U of New Hampshire, UConn...

Which doesn't fit ?
UVM of course. How can you drop football?!

The AAC had to at least consider inviting UConn Football with Army but I would understand if the conference were just too stubborn. Take a flyer and add both UConn & UMass. Maybe they pan out. At a minimum programs get more airtime in the Northeast. Moreso than any other conference.

Reaction Score
UVM of course. How can you drop football?!

The AAC had to at least consider inviting UConn Football with Army but I would understand if the conference were just too stubborn. Take a flyer and add both UConn & UMass. Maybe they pan out. At a minimum programs get more airtime in the Northeast. Moreso than any other conference.

For some reason I sense that UMass is held hostage by this and this is a reality. One or two conferences want a package deal. Even if it is a TERRIBLE package.

Reaction Score
Something to think about football only... the league is a little different. You get to play games early in the week on the regular which is definitely different...but the competitioand affiliation may benefit us to ascend to another conference. It's kinda clear that we've got to show we belong before higher level conferences consider us.

Given what is happening on college campuses, you have to wonder what their true agenda is

Reaction Score
SMU will actually make more in the ACC than they were making. The payout from Notre Dame includes acc network payments, which the B12 does not have.

Until the big east gets a new deal, it's all a moot point but I don't know how you see the reports of Gonzaga getting $2-3 million from the B12 and think big east schools would get more.

The Big 12 doesn't get ACC Network payouts but they do get Digital Streaming/ESPN+ payouts at 5 million per school per year. It is a separate deal from the media payout even when it is rolled into the new deal starting in 2025.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
For some reason I sense that UMass is held hostage by this and this is a reality. One or two conferences want a package deal. Even if it is a TERRIBLE package.
Agreed, but even crazier than that, you could make the case that a holdup is the fact that UMass might very well take an all sports offer, where we 1000000000% wouldn't.

B12

Reaction Score
If you want to talk about something it sounds like the B12 is talking to Gonzaga again.

I can't see them added by themselves so I have to think UConn is going to get an offer without FB, that includes a possible scheduling agreements.

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
If you want to talk about something it sounds like the B12 is talking to Gonzaga again.

I can't see them added by themselves so I have to think UConn is going to get an offer without FB, that includes a possible scheduling agreements.

Thoughts?

NO.

Think about what you are saying.

How much is the Big 12 going to pay UConn for sports other than football?

Enough to cover the Big East exit fee without building up another huge budget deficit?

Nope. That’s really where this discussion ends but I will go on.

It really doesn’t help our Basketball because it’s at best a lateral move.

It would damage every other sport.

It would help football not a bit. Recruits don’t care if you are a pseudo member of a conference.

Reaction Score

Thoughts?
UConn is a great basketball program and wins in MSG. Any conference would be lucky to have UConn. So the answer is no. #CR#1

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom