CV Returning | Page 4 | The Boneyard

CV Returning

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I don't even care about what they're singing in November.

This is still the worst roster I've ever seen at UConn and none of these kids, save the transfers, has received anything near competent coaching.

An awful lot would have to go right for this team to make it to the NCAAs.
The end of the Perno years were worse than this, outside of Cliff and Gamble. If UConn essentially begins with JC, then our bigs are even worse than I thought.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If he's the same player he was as a sophomore, then yeah, he will see his minutes reduced. But I don't see any reason to believe that will be the case given the upgrade in coaching and the fact that he's a rising junior. That's when a lot of players make a jump.

You have 120 minutes to spend 1-3. Provided Gilbert is healthy, that's probably about 30 for him and 35 for Adams. That leaves 55 minutes for Vital, Smith, and Wilson - assuming Wilson spends some of his time at the four, you could still be in the neighborhood of 25 minutes for Vital.

A lot of the improvement Vital makes won't show up in the box score. That's one of the luxuries of depth - you don't do the dirty work coach wants you to do defensively and you find yourself on the bench. Once you account for the massive difference in circumstance, Vital's trajectory starts to look a lot like Albert Mouring's. If he can average double figures, shoot around 40% from three, defend, and mix in just enough complementary play-making, professional scouts will take him more seriously at this time next year or the year after.

Wilson is not going to get most of his minutes at the 4. Hopefully few to none. You've also got Polley to share those 1-3 minutes.

The first change I hope we see is knocking down those minutes for J. Adams. Maybe 30. Gilbert 25. That gives you another 10. Let's assume Freshman B. Adams plays sparingly, because he's in the mix as well. Smith is going to play, CV, Polley and Wilson, all need to split 65 minutes. CV is going to have to fight for his.

The front court has 80 minutes to share across Carlton, Yawke, Diarra, Whaley, Williams, Cobb and if he plays the 4, Polley. Minutes are scarce everywhere. So what does that mean?

If I had a roster like this, with few stars and a number of interchangeable parts, I'd press and run all game long. Turn it into a style of play that nobody can play for more than 25 minutes anyway. Arkansas' old 40 minutes of hell style basketball. Rotate guys in constantly, putting fresh defenders on the opposition and scoring in transition.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

This is still the worst roster I've ever seen at UConn and none of these kids, save the transfers, has received anything near competent coaching.

Disagree on the roster. I think it has more talent than Hurley's URI team last year. Completely agree on the competent coaching. This is our theme for the year. Let's see what happens. Guys like Diarra are not talentless scrubs if used properly.

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/67120022.jpg

Reaction Score

I was approaching it from a "do they look like they care?" standpoint than a "can they be competitive?" one . . .

At its best, and if everything goes right, the ceiling for this team is the NCAA bubble.

Reaction Score
A guard who can rebound is going to be huge this year as we will likely use a stretch 4 pretty often.

Hopefully our new offense will give Vital more open spot up 3 looks, as only 20.6% of his 3s came unassisted last year. He's much better when he doesn't have to dribble into his shot.

Another added bonus is Vital's ability to draw fouls and get to the line. His FTA/FGA was 43.3% last year, which was (sadly) more than Adams and Larrier combined.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I was approaching it from a "do they look like they care?" standpoint than a "can they be competitive?" one . . .

At its best, and if everything goes right, the ceiling for this team is the NCAA bubble.

That undersells them I think. If they commit to defense, this team can be better than that. It's going to have to score off of its defense and in transition. If we find ourselves in a lot of half court sets, we will struggle on the offensive end.

pj

Reaction Score
This will never stop being ironic coming from you and august

Failing to make the tourney was disappointing under KO and it will be disappointing if it happens under Hurley.

I'm sure August and freud were disappointed under KO, but there's no shame in supporting the coach as long as he remains the coach. That's a principled stand. It's rather less principled, I would think, to set a low bar for the new coach, particularly after you were a big advocate of his hiring.

Reaction Score
Failing to make the tourney was disappointing under KO and it will be disappointing if it happens under Hurley.

I'm sure August and freud were disappointed under KO, but there's no shame in supporting the coach as long as he remains the coach. That's a principled stand. It's rather less principled, I would think, to set a low bar for the new coach, particularly after you were a big advocate of his hiring.

Not if you think (rightly) that the low bar is a result of the failings of the previous coach. It's disingenuous to compare a new coach to one who oversaw the decline.

Reaction Score

The situations aren't even remotely comparable. One person burned the program to the ground and now the other one has to start from scratch. I was joking with someone when I said that there are people here who can't even define the word "expectation" but people like you have proven it's more reality than fiction.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not if you think (rightly) that the low bar is a result of the failings of the previous coach. It's disingenuous to compare a new coach to one who oversaw the decline.
Whether you compare the two or not the question of expectations for the season inevitably arises. If you assume—which I do—that the roster will be as good as or better than last season, and that the new guy is a better coach, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have the same expectations as last season, which, for me, was making the tourney (before Gilbert went down, and before I realized that Larrier had chronic lethargy).

Reaction Score
I predict CV is about to have a talk with Hurley on shot selection and if he continues to jack up shots 5 feet beyond the line I see his minutes going down. The good news is that he’s probably smarter and a good competitor so he can learn from the new coach. No 2 ways about it that he is a quality body to have on this team.

Reaction Score
Whether you compare the two or not the question of expectations for the season inevitably arises. If you assume—which I do—that the roster will be as good as or better than last season, and that the new guy is a better coach, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have the same expectations as last season, which, for me, was making the tourney (before Gilbert went down, and before I realized that Larrier had chronic lethargy).

I adjusted my expectations pretty quickly after the first few games last year.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I adjusted my expectations pretty quickly after the first few games last year.
As will I this season if Gilbert is not healthy enough to be our starting point guard by December.

pj

Reaction Score
The situations aren't even remotely comparable. One person burned the program to the ground and now the other one has to start from scratch. I was joking with someone when I said that there are people here who can't even define the word "expectation" but people like you have proven it's more reality than fiction.

Hyperbole much?

Hurley is "starting from scratch" with a considerably better team than KO had last year. We replaced Larrier with Alterique and Sid Wilson -- a gain of a top 100 player and likely substantial improvement; we replaced David Onuorah and Antwoine Anderson with Kassoum Yakwe and Tarin Smith, both significant improvements; we have a full roster including depth at point guard, a major deficiency last year; the young big men will take the freshman to sophomore leap; Jalen and CV are likely to be improved.

I believe Hurley that we are going to have more toughness, defense, and rebounding, and more efficient/poised/intelligent play. Probably more chemistry as well.

I expect a big improvement on last year's 14 wins. 20 wins minimum, 24 more likely.

Too bad you don't believe in Hurley so much, or our players.

Reaction Score
Hyperbole much?

Hurley is "starting from scratch" with a considerably better team than KO had last year. We replaced Larrier with Alterique and Sid Wilson -- a gain of a top 100 player and likely substantial improvement; we replaced David Onuorah and Antwoine Anderson with Kassoum Yakwe and Tarin Smith, both significant improvements; we have a full roster including depth at point guard, a major deficiency last year; the young big men will take the freshman to sophomore leap; Jalen and CV are likely to be improved.

I believe Hurley that we are going to have more toughness, defense, and rebounding, and more efficient/poised/intelligent play. Probably more chemistry as well.

I expect a big improvement on last year's 14 wins. 20 wins minimum, 24 more likely.

It's year one taking over for a dumpster fire. I think Hurley will do a better job with the team this year and with the program overall than Ollie did. I'm just not going to call 20 regular season wins and an NIT appearance a disaster like many have stated

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Hyperbole much?

I'm not taking JMick's side, but:
  • Larrier, a highly touted recruit out of HS who was a Junior, is being replaced with Wilson, a 4 star freshman. That is not a "clear upgrade". We merely hope it is.
  • Anderson and Smith are pretty comparable
  • Yawke is an upgrade on David O
  • Gilbert is an upgrade on no Gilbert
  • Jalen, Carlton, Diarra, CV, Polley, and maybe Cobb should all be better. I don't expect much from Whaley or Williams, but who knows.
If the roster is better, it's primarily because Gilbert is healthy and the returning players improve. Not because of Wilson, Yawke or Smith. I really think people are putting way too high expectations on Wilson as a RS Freshman who was a good, but not immediate impact level recruit.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's year one taking over for a dumpster fire. I think Hurley will do a better job with the team this year and with the program overall than Ollie did. I'm just not going to call 20 regular season wins and an NIT appearance a disaster like many have stated
Show me who stated that.

You really need to lighten up or think twice about dishing insults if you don't like receiving them. And for the record I wasn't slamming you for your opinion, just having fun taunting you for your incessant usage of that phrase.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The amount of vitriol and figurative ink being spilled here over a difference in opinion about whether our ceiling next season is 20 wins versus 23 is more mind boggling than people going to war about preferring Sally's to Pepe's.

I mean, it's not as if someone is suggesting deep dish or Greek pizza here people.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm not taking JMick's side, but:
  • Larrier, a highly touted recruit out of HS who was a Junior, is being replaced with Wilson, a 4 star freshman. That is not a "clear upgrade". We merely hope it is.
  • Anderson and Smith are pretty comparable
  • Yawke is an upgrade on David O
  • Gilbert is an upgrade on no Gilbert
  • Jalen, Carlton, Diarra, CV, Polley, and maybe Cobb should all be better. I don't expect much from Whaley or Williams, but who knows.
If the roster is better, it's primarily because Gilbert is healthy and the returning players improve. Not because of Wilson, Yawke or Smith. I really think people are putting way too high expectations on Wilson as a RS Freshman who was a good, but not immediate impact level recruit.
Another Apologista.

Reaction Score
We weren't making the tournament last year with Alterique.

Reaction Score
A guard who can rebound is going to be huge this year as we will likely use a stretch 4 pretty often.

Hopefully our new offense will give Vital more open spot up 3 looks, as only 20.6% of his 3s came unassisted last year. He's much better when he doesn't have to dribble into his shot.

Another added bonus is Vital's ability to draw fouls and get to the line. His FTA/FGA was 43.3% last year, which was (sadly) more than Adams and Larrier combined.

I noticed Vital drove and was fouled alot but it seems like at times he was driving with his only intention was get fouled. Hard to argue with free shots though even though I'm yelling, "Where you going?!"

Adams doesnt go to the free throw line alot because of the way he drives to the basket. His game when he drives the lane is based on how much contact he can avoid and get creative with how he puts the ball in the basket. He is looking to go around or up and under guys to lay it in. I am all for it cause he makes it look so easy at times.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefty92

Top Bottom